The Truth about Lee Seung Hyun

NINE

"We need to get up," Chaerin said trying to get out of the bed.

"No, no just stay in bed with me.." he said holding on to her.

"I'll get up and make you some breakfast, alright? And then we can eat it in bed."

"Ok, fine but don't take too long." 

She slipped out of the bed and left the room. Lee Seung Hyun lay in the bed and stretched out, smiling. He looked around the room, it was so neat and tidy, Chaerin had always been a neat freak. Beside him on the bedside table was a blue notebook, he reached over and took it off the table. He wondered what was in it, surely it wouldn't hurt to just look a little at it. He flipped through the pages, each were dated. He paused, shocked and read the page before him. 

[17th March 2010

Two days ago, me, Lee Seung Hyun and Ji-eun were driving in the car to go to visit her family. 

Who was Ji-eun? He'd never known anyone of that name before?

Lee Seung Hyun was sitting in the front of the car with Ji-eun who was driving and I sat in the back. It was a dark, rainy night and the roads were packed with cars. One of the cars had seemed to be unable to stop and it swerved and hit ours. Ji-eun's side of the car became completely smashed and her legs were trapped. Seung Hyun had bashed his head but apart from that he was fine. I had been barely hurt compared, to Ji-eun. She had started to scream so loudly, I remember it was so unbearable. Seung Hyun had started to scream too, trying to pull her out of her seat but she wouldn't move. He wouldn't give up, he just kept on trying. I tried to get him to come out of the car but he wouldn't give up even though she had already passed out. I hadn't wanted to give up but she didn't look like she had much life left in her. I managed to get out of the car and get Lee Seung Hyun too to come out but I had to hold him back. As we got out of the car, it exploded sparking out flames. And that's how Ji-eun died. Lee Seung Hyun passed out and we were taken to the hospital.

The next day, he couldn't remember her. He just remembered the car accident. Perhaps, he loved her so much that he had just blocked out our beautiful Ji-eun from his mind. I worry that he might never remember her but that's for the best, it'll hurt less this way. I just need to look after him now, however weak my heart is. My poor Lee Seung Hyun, seems we only have each other now..

Ji-eun, I will always love you. You were an amazing friend, RIP.]

Ji-eun had been his girlfriend. How could he not remember her at all. What was wrong with him.

Flashes of images filled his head, he could see her eyes and her screaming face. He could hear her screaming and he could feel her tugging onto him as she tried to break free from the car. He felt as if someone had cut through his heart, he could feel the pain all again now but he just couldn't remember her. How had Chaerin kept this a secret from him, this long? He shut the book and placed it on the bedside table.

The door opened, "I have your breakfast," Chaerin smiled, "Are you alright?"

"Yeah," he took a deep breath in, "I'm fine."