One Shot!

NINE

Chaerin and Seunghyun sat at the bar, his eyes were red and puffy and his head was bowed down, she could tell he'd been crying but she had no idea why. He hadn't spoken much since she'd arrived

"Panda," she said, "Look at me."

Slowly he raised his head and looked at her with a painfully sad expression and spoke, "I'm sorry, I should be a more of a man than this."

"Hey, what are you talking about? You're the manliest panda I know." She smiled slightly patting his back, "Come on, tell me what's wrong."

"Minji."

"Oh, Seunghyun, I'm sorry. I know that you like her."

"I've never had a heart so filled with hope, only for it to be crushed so instantly. Part of me thought, that maybe I could change, so that she would like me but I realised that I'm not the one for her, he is. I could never make her half as happy, and I hate that. And now I've lost her forever"

"You deserve a hug," she said wrapping her arms around him, "It's all going to be fine, we're going to find you a pretty lovely girlfriend. So smile for me, and we'll be happy from now on. No more tears."

He drew back from her saying, "Hey, I never cried!"

"Yeah you did, just now," she smiled at his annoyed expression.

"Shall we get a drink? I'm so thirsty," he turned his head away addressing the barman, "Can I have two Vodka shots?"

Seunghyun was always one of those people to forget his worries over a drink, he liked being lost and forgetting everything, it made him feel safe.

The barman handed over the drinks. 

"Thanks," Chaerin said.

"One shot?" he said smiling.

"One shot!" 

They both downed the drinks. Although when he finished his Seunghyun looked serious.

"I wanted to talk to you about something... I want to know about Ji-eun."

Shocked she stared at him, looking as though she was about to cry, "You know about Ji-eun? How did you.. find out?"

"I saw it in your diary, the morning after I was in hospital. I'm sorry I didn't tell you before. I just don't understand how I could've forgotten everything."

"You suffered from memory loss, so you completely forgot her. I was surprised at the time because you couldn't remember a thing about her."

"Can you tell me about her?"

She took a deep breath and started to speak, "You met her a long time ago, you approached her in a bar like this, saying that you thought she was the prettiest girl you'd ever seen. She liked that so gave you her number straight away. It was quite awkward really, you sat beside her talking for hours, with your arm around her and I sat there watching. After that you saw her every day after, always bringing her flowers and calling her, texting her, everything. A few months later, we started hanging out as a group, I guess we were just like best friends. She loved you so much, she was always talking about you, saying how much she wanted to marry you and how you were the only one for her. You should've seen her, she used to do that cute thing teenagers do when they write 'Mrs Lee' over everything," she paused suddenly feeling very sad, "You were both so perfect for each other. I thought you'd last forever but the accident, well, she died. Simply just like that gone, my best friend."

"I wish I remembered, perhaps that's why my heart has felt this empty all this time because I've been missing her. How can I have lost so much? How can I have let myself forget her?"

"It's not your fault," Chaerin said gently touching his hand.

"I'm so sorry Chaerin, I've let you suffer all this time alone."

"No don't say that, I want to show you something." She pulled out a picture from her handbag and gave it to him.

The picture showed him smiling standing with his arm around a beautiful smiling girl with long black hair, wearing a short white lace dress.

"This is her, isn't it?"

Chaerin simply nodded as his eyes fixated on the picture, a small tear fell delicately from his eye.

"She was so beautiful, so beautiful."