Hospital

NINE

The doctors rushed Lee Seung Hyun through the doors of the hospital, he was still unconscious. Chaerin ran behind, tears streaming down her face. She had meant to be looking after him, how could she have let this happen, after everything they had been through together. She couldn't just lose him like this. He was pushed through the doors into an emergency room. The nurse told Chaerin to stay outside, despite how hard she tried to go in with him.

She sat on the seat outside, shaking. She had no idea what was wrong with him, would she see him again? How could she live with out him, she loved him so much. Her hands trembling she reached for her phone and started to call Daesung's number, she had tried to before but she couldn't get through. The phone started to ring again and again. Why wasn't he picking up, he needed to be here. His best friend could be dying. As she was about to hang up a voice answered:

"Hello, Chaerin?"

"Daesung, you need to get to the hospital right now," she said choking on her tears.

"Why, what's wrong?"

"It's Seung Hyun, something is wrong with him. He's in the emergency room."

"Oh my god.. I'll be right over," said Daesung, "I just need to get Minji, she's in the bathroom... Chaerin?"

"What?"

"You know it's going to be alright, he's stronger than you think."

"I hope so, now quickly get over here!"

She hung up the phone. The hospital seemed very empty but she could hear the noises of people screaming, crying and muttering to each other. A tall handsome man walked into the room wearing a red hoodie and jeans.

"Uh excuse me," he said, "Is there a Seung Hyun here, a Lee Seung Hyun?"

"Yeah, he's in there," she said pointing towards the door, trying to force her tears away but a few tears slid away from her eyes.

"I'm sorry," he said, "You're probably wondering who I am," he sat next to her, "My name's Seung Hyun, Choi Seung Hyun. I met Seung Hyun a year or so ago when we both worked as shop assistants."

"But how did you know he was here?" she said.

"Me and my friend Yong Bae were walking home after going shopping and we saw him being put into the ambulance. I recognised him instantly, so I came to the local hospital to see if he was here."

"Oh I see. I'm sorry to tell you but he isn't too well at all," she said, "I'm not sure if I'll even see him again."

He looked at her and patted her on the shoulder, "I'm sure he'll be fine, don't worry. He'll pull through."
 

"DAESUNG!" she shouted jumping out of her seat and running to hug them, "MINJI!"

"Where is he? Can we see him?" Daesung said panicking. 

"No we're not allowed in," she said, "Minji..."

"Oh Chaerin, I'm so sorry we left. I can't believe this has all happened."

"I can't believe it's happened either," she said hugging Minji, "I feel like someone's stuck a knife straight through my heart." 

"Uh, hello. Who are you?" Daesung said as he noticed Choi Seung Hyun was there.

"I'm Choi Seung Hyun," he said, "I used to work with Seung Hyun."

"Oh, I'm Kang Daesung," he said, "Sorry that I didn't notice you before, It's just everything.." Daesung said crying a little. 

"Don't cry Daesung," Minji said, "It's all going to be fine, right?"

Reality hadn't really sunk in yet, apart from for Chaerin. She'd shown it enough with tears how scared she was. The door of the emergency room opened, a nurse stood there and said calmly, "The patient is fine, he's just recovering. He suffered a severe allergic reaction. I can only let one visitor in at a time to see him." 

Daesung and Minji hugged each other relieved whilst Choi Seung Hyun sat with his head buried in his hands.

Chaerin gave a sigh of relief, "Can I go in?"

They all nodded and Choi Seung Hyun said, "I'm sorry but I have to leave, now that I know he's alright. Tell him that I'm happy he's well."

He got up out of his seat waving, and walked down the corridor.

Chaerin waved and walked through the door with the nurse. She saw Lee Seung Hyun lying there asleep and she sat on the seat next to him. She started to stoke his hair. "I'm so glad you're alright. I don't know what I would've done without you. You have to promise me that you'll stay strong for Ji-eun, and for me." 

She leaned over and kissed his forehead, "Ah, you actually do look like a panda when you sleep," she smiled, "Sleep well, I'm going to let the others see you now."