Grief

The Girl and The Wolf (Mate)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5dnKJUBURw

Suzy: Don't Forget Me

===========================================

It was a gloomy Friday in April.

Minyoung had asked Danji to come over and watch a movie. Luhan had asked her to spend the night at his home. Danji rejected both of them.

Today was a special day. It was a day of mourning…for her parents’ deaths.

Twelve years ago, they had died in an inexplicable accident in their own home, which Danji still did not know the cause of today.

Night fell, and Danji prepared the table for the memorial service. The last thing she placed on the table was the pictures of her parents.

Danji stepped back and gazed at the photos. Both her parents were smiling at her.

She softly smiled back. *Mom and dad…hello. How are you? Another year has passed since I took out your photos from the storage room. I’m sorry if it’s stuffy in there. I just don’t know where to put you two without grandfather becoming sad-*

At that moment, her bereaved grandfather came out of his room. He looked absolutely pitiful. His swollen, red eyes told her that he had been silently crying.

I know you’ll never get over their deaths, especially mom’s. She was a good daughter, Danji softened.

Her grandfather saw the mourning table set up along with the photos. His eyes turned slightly rounder, and he looked as if he would break down any moment. “Are you done?” Her grandfather spoke gruffly to cover up the sadness.

Danji quietly nodded.

“Well…let’s get started then. And let’s make it short. I’m hungry.” Her grandfather shuffled towards the table. His back looked weary, and his expression was somber.

Danji was afraid he might fall sick. She knew the real reason for why he wanted to keep the remembrance short, and it wasn’t hunger. If he looked at his daughter’s photo any longer, he would grieve longer. He hated anything that reminded him of her parents’ deaths.

The two of them stood in front of the table. They bowed and said their prayers.

Her grandfather’s kept his very brief. A minute later, he lifted his chin and opened his eyes. “We’re done. Clear the table, and get dinner ready.” Her grandfather walked back into his room and shut the door.

Danji sighed with heavy shoulders. For once, she wished they could do the ritual a little longer. *Mom and dad, don’t be upset that we kept it short this year again. Grandpa just misses both of you a lot. I do, too.*

Danji cleared the table, changed out of her black clothes, and set up dinner. “Grandpa, dinner is ready.” She called softly. He came out but halted when he saw her parents’ photos still on the mantle.

“Put those back away in the storage room after dinner.”

Danji looked at the pictures and frowned a little. Would it hurt so much to just keep them there for the night?

They sat at the table and ate seaweed soup, fish, and eggs. Dinner was silent. Grief clung in the air like a wet, scratchy towel, making them both uncomfortable.

Finally, Danji couldn’t stand it. “How did mom and dad die?!” She blurted.

Her grandfather stopped chewing. His gaze shifted towards her face.

“I-I want to know how they passed away. You never told me.” Danji swallowed hard.

“I did tell you. They died in an accident.” Her grandfather curtly replied.

She frowned, unsatisfied with the vague answer, “Yes, but what kind of accident?”

He slammed his spoon down on the table, “IT’S JUST AN ACCIDENT! THAT’S ALL YOU HAVE TO KNOW!”

Startled, Danji jumped at the volume. Her grandfather had never raised his voice at her before. But now, he was enraged, and she wondered why. What was so bad about wanting to know about the way her parents died?

Did he think she could not handle it? Or was he too much of a coward to bring the incident up?

Tears welled up in her eyes, “I feel so stupid not knowing how my own parents died. I’m tough enough, grandpa. Can’t you please tell me?” Pleadingly, she searched his despairing eyes.

Her grandfather softened. He opened his mouth, and she grew hopeful. Then he clamped his mouth shut, and the crabbiness was back on his face. “Make sure you put the photos away.” Her grandfather left the table.

Danji heard the door shut, and her shoulders slumped. *I will never know how they died, will I?* She broke into a disconsolate sob.

Her grandfather heard her cries, and his heart broke. *First you put your own daughter and son-in-law to death. And now you make your granddaughter cry. What kind of a man are you, Kim Pansuk?* He sank into the armchair in his room and touched his aching head.

Her grandfather remembered th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter