A piece of the past

The Girl and The Wolf (Mate)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRGaUwbz6pA

K. Will: Lay Back

==========================================

It was Sunday afternoon.

After eating a lunch of peanut butter and jelly sandwich and chocolate milk, Danji cleaned the house and finished her language homework. She put her language textbook away and saw the history book open on the floor. She remembered last night’s puzzling event.

*When is Luhan coming anyways? He said we would finish the report today. We must. It’s due tomorrow. I hope he’s not expecting me to finish everything.* Danji frowned. She was not the type to be used so easily.

*Whatever. I’m not starting the report without him.* Danji sat on the edge of her bed and edgily drummed her fingers against her bed. She let out a sigh of frustration and blew a raspberry with a pout. She didn’t even know his phone number, so there was no way she would be able to contact him.

Danji looked up and caught sight of a treasured item on the very top of her shelf. Mesmerized, she walked up to the shelf and gently took down the precious artifact. Danji blew the dust off the top. Her expression softened as she admired the music box.

*I haven’t heard the song in a while. I’ve just been too preoccupied. Sorry, mom.*

Danji got a wash cloth and wiped the music box so that it was shiny and clean again. Cradling the treasure carefully, she went out to the front of the house and sat on the front steps.

Danji rested her chin on her palm and held the music box up to the sunlight. It glistened and shined like the stars in the sky. The music box was round and ornate. It was pastel pink and light turquoise. Whoever created this must have been an amazing artist, she admired.

Danji brought the music box back down and carefully cradled it in her palms. With a deep breath, she opened the top. A prince and his princess popped out and began to dance to the melodious tune. Her expression softened. With a tender smile, she watched as the figures danced.

The song was “Someday My Prince Will Come”, sang by Snow White in the popular Disney film. Snow White had been her and her mother’s favorite princess. They had watched the movie at least a thousand times until they had memorized the entire script.

“Danji-ah, I have a gift for you.” Her mother had a smile that was as radiant and warm as the golden sun.

“What? What?” Excited five-year-old Danji bounced into her mother’s lap.

“This.” Her mother held out the music box.

Danji tilted her head. “What is that?”

“It’s called a music box. It’s absolutely magical.” Her mother beamed.

“Really?” Danji’s eyes became as round as dinner plates.

Her mother nodded. “Just watch.” She popped the top open.

Danji gasped as a prince and a princess waltzed around. Her favorite theme song played in the background. “That’s so cool!” Danji squealed happily. “Is this really mine?”

Her mother hugged her tightly. “Yes, Danji. It is yours.”

Danji held the music box in her little hands. Her mother protectively had her own hands under her daughter’s to prevent any drops that might happen. She looked at her daughter with warmth and love. “My little Snow White…I love you so much.”

Danji opened her eyes. Her eyes were surprisingly wet, and she realized she was crying. “Mom…” *I miss you so much.* Danji sniffled and dabbed her tears away. She watched the music box for a long time and just enjoyed the musical theme song from her favorite childhood movie as it played repeatedly.

“What are you doing?” A voice asked out of nowhere.

In surprise, Danji almost dropped the music box.

Fortunately, Luhan was fast and had caught it just in time. He looked at the object and raised an eyebrow. “Aren’t you too old for music boxes?”

Danji yanked the music box away with a look. “For your information, this is a special music box. And last I heard, there was no age limit to music boxes.”

Luhan sat next to her. He saw the way her eyes softly glistened when she was gazing at the music box. The way she held it made him realize that this was no ordinary music box to her. It had special meaning to her.

*It better not be from some other man.* Luhan brooded murderously.

“So…who gave you that?” He asked casually.

Danji blinked at him. Luhan nodded to the music box as he twirled a piece of long grass anxiously between his fingers. “It looks special to you. Someone meaningful to you should have given it to you.”

“You’re right.” Danji admitted.

Luhan’s fists snapped shut tightly. *I knew it. Who do I have to kill?*

“It’s my mom.” Danji whispered.

Luhan stared at her in surprise. “Y-Your…mom?”

She nodded. “Yeah, my mom. She gave it to me when I was little.”

At the unexpected answer, he became speechless. “So…where is she now?” Luhan asked. He was sure he had not seen any signs of her mother living with her.

Her eyes

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter