A Summer Christmas

Caught me at first sight

It’s two days before Christmas, my cousins, Yong Guk oppa and I are in the airport waiting for our flight to Australia. Oppa decided to come with us because he thought it would be fun to formally meet my family and to celebrate Christmas differently. I thought that maybe we should wait until next time but he couldn’t wait.

We’re in the plane, just about to land and I feel nervous for some reason. My parents are going to meet my boyfriend and I’m going to leave the café and the company for four days. I hope nothing bad happens while we’re gone. Oppa seem to notice me feeling nervous so he holds my hand. I look at him and gives me that assuring look and smile.

We’re out of the plane and are getting our luggage, becoming more nervous but excited to see my family after some time. After we get all our belongings, we walk (While Je Si skips) to the exit. We look around, until we find familiar faces in the distance. I see my parents and my cousins’ parents and they jog to us. There’s a lot of hugs and “welcome back” going around, but oppa stands there feeling awkward.

“Mum, dad, this is Yong Guk oppa, my boyfriend. He came to celebrate Christmas with us and to meet you guys.” I introduce oppa as I bring them to him.

“Nice to meet you Eomoni, abeoji. My name is Bang Yong Guk.” He says as he does a 90degree bow and offers a handshake from my dad. My dad gladly shakes his hand.

My dad drives us back to their house, place our luggage in our respected rooms and head out again to have lunch. It’s Christmas eve so there are a lot of people eating out, but that doesn’t bother us. While we eat we talk about my time in Korea, how the business is going, and all those other things we haven’t talked about.

Yong Guk oppa is getting along well with my parents and it seems that they’ve already accepted him. My dad’s trying to go tough on him, testing him, asking questions like, “Why do you like my daughter? How did you meet her? Are you only trying to date my daughter for her money? Do you think you’re the right guy for her?” and so on. Oppa on the other hand, took it lightly, answering all my dad’s questions whole-heartedly. Then I get in trouble.

“Tae Ah, why were you in a club late at night?!” my dad half shouts at me.

“Dad I wasn’t dancing or anything like that. I was only there with my cousins to get some stress out since I was working too much.”

My parents didn’t know how to respond to what I said but instead they say, “Well… You could’ve eaten ice cream or went somewhere else instead of going to a club and drinking alcohol.”

-

Before 9pm we drive to Mae Ee’s parents’ house, for we were celebrating Christmas there. When I get there, we see lots of food prepared on a really long table. On the corner of the living room is big Christmas tree and under, a lot of presents, different shapes and sizes.

It’s 11pm and there’s only an hour left before Christmas. All my cousins, oppa and I are in Mae Ee’s old room that’s now a study area with a couch. We're just ‘chillin’ not really involving ourselves with the parents. One of our aunty calls us all out to join karaoke, I don’t really want to join but oppa wants to watch so we go out of the room.

While we’re watching the aunties sing and dance, I take a glance at the happy Yong Guk. He looks so happy being here. I take his hand in mine and he looks at me from my sudden contact with him.

“Are you having fun?” he nods at me.

“It’s completely different to how I celebrate my Christmas. Your Christmas is cheerful and lively, a lot of presents that’ll soon be given out. My Christmas is always quiet and lonely.”

“What about BAP?” I ask.

“They have their own families to celebrate with. The only celebration we ever have together is New Year and each other’s birthdays.” He explains. I soften to what he says.

“I’m glad you came with me, because you’re able to spend Christmas with more people. And I get to spend it with you.”

It’s thirty seconds before Christmas and we do a countdown. Twenty seconds.

“Ten, nine, eight, seven, six, five, four, three, two, one. MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!” Everyone cheers as they give out their presents to one another. I give my present to Yong Guk oppa. He opens it and his eyes widens at what he sees. It’s an Omega watch. He looks at me feeling thankful.

Then I show him my left wrist.

  

“Tae Ah-ya, you didn’t have to buy me anything. And this is so expensive. You really shouldn’t have.” He says in a concerned yet thankful tone.

“I’m going to say something really corny oppa, but, whenever you look at this watch that I give you, remember that no matter how much time passes by, I’m always going to be with you.” I say, cringing at every word. He laughs at me and wraps his arms around my shoulder, and I respond by hugging him back around his waist. I then feel a soft kiss placed on my head. “Merry Christmas babe.”

Morning comes and I spend the rest of the day taking my boyfriend around in the city. He says he likes the warm weather, it's like Korea but in a different way. We eat in different stores and buy clothes and other things for each other like what couples would do.

-

Today is our last day in Australia and we’re back in the airport, waiting for our plane to call us in. I suddenly feel my eyes getting watery. I’m not going to be seeing my parents for a while, and I’ll miss them. I give my family one last hug each, then holds oppa’s hand as we walk away from our (cousins and my) family. I’m going to miss them. The feeling is different from the last time we went.

 

 

 

 


Like it? 

proof reading this chapter while putting BAP's Hurricane on replay.