Surprise!

Caught me at first sight

Though I slept at almost 4 in the morning, I'm still able to go to work in Samsung. Though I feel really lazy to go to work, I need to act like an adult, be responsible and act like a CEO of the company. I drive to work before lunch and get straight to work. I work until late at night, waiting for the day after tomorrow to slowly come.

-

This day finally comes. I wake up to a new day, with a new age. My eyes are still closed because I hear shuffling and whispering in my room. I slowly open my eyes and I see Mae Ee holding a medium-sized red velvet cake with a candle shaped like a number 22 on top that's lit up. I’m getting old. I’m not calling Mae Ee eonni old because I’m now the same age as her, not until May, but I’m getting old. My two cousins sing, or more like shout the happy birthday song. I’m thankful they remembered my birthday and that they woke up at five in the morning just to greet me. They’re the best. After they sing and I blow the candle, they leave the cake on my bedside table and walk back to their respectful rooms to continue their sleep.

I go on with my usual routines in the morning; bake cakes and other desserts, serve customers and then assistant Choi picks me up from the shop to my office to finish some paper works. I don’t think I’ll ever get tired of doing what I do. Sure I would get lazy at times but at least I’m not wasting my life away doing nothing. I walk into the building and many people greet me happy birthday as I walk past. Some even give me presents, how nice of them. I reach my office and find more presents on my desk. I sit on my chair and stare at the presents in awe. Then I zone out a bit.

I’ve only noticed now, but I haven’t gotten in contact with Yong Guk oppa since New Year’s night. What’s going on with him? Do I sound clingy? I’ll give him a call just in case. I pick up my phone and dial his number on. I wait for him to pick up but he doesn’t answer. Did something happen to him? It’s 1:40pm right now and I don’t get out of work till later tonight. Maybe I’ll just visit him later.

Hours pass by really slowly. I’ve finished all the work I need to complete, and it’s only 6pm. Maybe I should get out of work early, since I’ve finished all the work I need to do… Yeah, I will.

-

It’s 8pm and I’m bored. Weird, because usually CEOs of a big company have a lot of work to do, but today I just didn’t have as much. I pack up my things nicely on my desk and head out towards my office door. I see assistant Choi walking past and he asks me where I’m going.

“I’m finishing early to meet up with my boyfriend. Why?” I say.

“Oh. Nothing much. Is it ok if I join you to have a drink?” he asks as he straightens his pose from carrying folders around.

“Yeah, sure.”

-

We arrive at the club where oppa works, and assistant Choi follows besides me. He opens the door for me and I notice that inside the building is fairly dark. But in the centre of the room, there’s a flicker of light. I walk towards it, careful of bumping into anything. Assistant Choi follows behind, also making sure that I don’t bump into anything. As I’m right in front of the flickering light, I notice it’s actually a candle. I look around my dark surrounding and I feel a presence. All the lights open at the same time and everyone jumps out of where they're hiding, shouting out loud “SURPRISE!!!”

In front of the lit up cake is Yong Guk oppa with the biggest smile he ever put on, Mae Ee, Je Si, BAP, and finally the ones I’ve wanted to see since I left Australia, my family. My eyes get teary and I embrace them into a tight hug. I’ve never been so happy in my life; everyone that I love celebrating together. It didn’t have to be my birthday, it could’ve been any other day but it’s today.

-

The party officially starts, I see many of my workers and they’re having a good time. Je Si and Mae Ee doesn’t seem to be having as much fun as I thought they would, so I walk to them and ask, “Guys why aren’t you dancing and drinking like you usually do?”

Mae Ee answers back, “We can’t because our parents are here and we’ll get scolded.” And they continue doing what they’re doing; sitting on one of the tables, drinking their glass of wine.

I see Yong Guk oppa happily talking to my parents, so I approach them. They see me walking over and they join me into their conversation.

“Tae Ah, my daughter, happy birthday! You’re finally 22. How does it feel?” My mum asks.

I reply back, not knowing how to answer the question, “Normal, I guess.”

And my dad says, “Your boyfriend here planned this whole party for you. And he even paid for our flight to get here. Isn’t he subtle?”

“Really? Wow… See I told you not to go too strict on him.” I say, defending him.

“Well, ok then. We'll leave you two in peace. Happy birthday again princess.” My dad says as he walks away with mum, off to talk to other people.

I face oppa and he seems to be red in the face. I’m about to thank him for what he’s done for me but then BAP drags him away to the dance floor after apologising. I’m left with myself, so I grab a drink and converse with the other guests until the party ends. I only got spend five minutes with oppa, and didn’t even get to thank him for all he’s done.

 

 

 

 


Hey guys~ 

This is a boring chapter... But I put this chapter up because it's the actual date of my birthday hehe....

I'll explain more about the background of the story if you continue to read till the end~