Family Night

I Just Want to Love You

After that hug which lasted for like 10 minutes, Yong Guk and Yoon-eun felt awkward when they broke the hug.

Yoon-eun didn't know what to say to Yong Guk and Yong Guk as well didn't know what to say to Yoon-eun. Yoon-eun's glance fell on the clock which was beside the television set when she was trying to avoid Yong Guk's gaze.

“It’s so late already? I have to get ready for dinner. Erm... Any preference?” Yoon-eun asked Yong Guk while getting up from the armchair to go to the kitchen.

“Nope, I am fine with anything that you cook. Do you need to prepare dinner so early? It’s only 3pm,” Yong Guk said and stole a quick look at the clock.

“I promise Jae Hwan to cook his favourite dish and I need to get it started now. It takes time,” Yoon-eun said and walked out to the kitchen.

Yong Guk looked around the living room once again after Yoon-eun had walked out. Now that he knew the living room is the same as before, he wondered if the other places are the same as before.

Yong Guk walked to the entrance of the kitchen and leaned against the doorframe. He watched as Yoon-eun made herself busy preparing the things which she needed for dinner.

“Yoon-eun, do you think I can get a shower first?” Yong Guk asked.

“Sure, you know where it is right?” Yoon-eun replied without looking at him.

“Yup,” Yong Guk replied and walked to his luggage which was in a corner in the living room to get his clothing.

He got the things he needed and headed to the bedroom which he and Yoon-eun had shared before he left.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When he opened the door of their bedroom, he inhaled the air of the room. He could seem to smell Yoon-eun’s scent and the shower foam which she used.

Yong Guk stepped into the room and the first thing he saw was the neatness. Yoon-eun still liked to keep things nice and clean. He looked around and realized that everything were still where it used to be.

The only missing thing around the room was the picture frames which they used to have.

Yong Guk loves to take photos so he would develop his best works and display it. Since this room belongs to him and Yoon-eun, he always developed the photos he took of Yoon-eun and displayed them. However, now only emptiness greeted him.

The dressing table only held Yoon-eun’s skincare products, the walls were empty and the night table only had the lamp and an alarm clock.

Yong Guk sighed and walked into the bathroom. He had thought that maybe Yoon-eun would have kept this room the way it was. However, it seemed like she was trying to forget him in his years of absence from this family.

He took his shower slowly as he thought of ways to make up to his wife and son.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Mummy, can I sleep with you and Daddy tonight?” Jae Hwan asked over dinner.

When Yoon-eun heard this, she choked on the food which she was chewing on. Yong Guk passed her glass of water to her and patted her back.

“Jae Hwan, no talking during dinner. Save your questions for later,” Yong Guk chided his son softly.

Jae Hwan pouted his lips and looked down at his food.

Yoon-eun saw Jae Hwan’s actions; she placed the water down, wiped with the napkin and placed her hand on Jae Hwan's hand.

“Sweetie, what's wrong?” Yoon-eun asked gently.

Jae Hwan looked up at Yoon-eun with tears in his eyes. Yoon-eun got up from her seat and squatted down beside him.

She rubbed his head and held his little hand, “Come, tell Mummy what’s wrong.”

Jae Hwan looked at her with his water eyes and pouted his lips, “Daddy scolded me.”

Yoon-eun glanced at Yong Guk as if telling him, “Look what you have done.”

Then she turned back to Jae Hwan and hugged him, “It’s alright. I’ll scold Daddy later okay?” She pulled Jae Hwan slightly away and looked at him. Jae Hwan smiled and nodded his head.

“Come, let’s continue eating. You were the one who wanted Mummy to cook all these so you will have to finish it up,” Yoon-eun said and sat on the chair.

Without taking another look at Yong Guk, Yoon-eun fed Jae Hwan his meal and Jae Hwan ate it happily.

Yong Guk looked at the mother and son and smiled.

Looks like he had really missed out a lot of family time in this few years where he was gone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After dinner, Yong Guk helped Yoon-eun with the dishes as she helped Jae Hwan to prepare for his shower.

While he was drying the dishes, he felt someone hug his leg. He looked down and saw Jae Hwan looking up at him with his big brown eyes.

Yong Guk dried his hands on a towel and squatted down.

“What’s wrong, honey?” Yong Guk smiled and asked him.

“Daddy, can you help me to shower?” Jae Hwan asked with his big brown eyes still looking at him.

Yong Guk smiled got broader and took his hand, “Sure. Come let’s go.”

Yong Guk carried Jae Hwan in his arms and stood up. When they walked into the bathroom at their room, they saw Yoon-eun hanging up the clothes and the bubble bath was all ready.

“Sorry but he wanted you to help him with the shower,” Yoon-eun said to Yong Guk.

“It’s alright. I’m more than glad to help him. I can take this time to build some father and son bond with him too,” Yong Guk smiled and said.

Yoon-eun smiled, “Well, I will leave the both of you alone then. I’ll go finish up the dishes.”

Yoon-eun walked out of the bathroom, not forgetting to close the door behind her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yoon-eun cleaned the last dish dry and walked into the living room. She took a look at the time on the clock and realized that it had been almost 20 minutes since Yong Guk gave Jae Hwan his bath. However, they were still not out.

She decided to go into the room to check out what they were doing as the weather was getting cold and she don’t want Jae Hwan to fall sick from the long shower.

When she was at the hallway, she heard the father and son’s conversation which made her stop.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Jae Hwan, how did you know that I’m your Daddy?” Yong Guk asked Jae Hwan the question which had been bugging him since he saw Jae Hwan.

“I saw the photo you took with Mummy,” Jae Hwan answered.

“Photo? What photo is that? There aren’t any photos here and in the house in Seoul,” Yong Guk was puzzled. He doesn’t remember seeing any photos of him and Yoon-eun in Yoon-eun’s house in Seoul. There certainly wasn’t any here as well.

Jae Hwan got up from the bed and pulled open the drawer of Yoon-eun’s dressing table. He took out the photo frames in the drawer and gave it to Yong Guk.

Yong Guk looked at the frames in his hands and saw that it were the pictures which were used to be displayed in their room.

When he was still looking at the photos, Jae Hwan ran to the night table and pulled out more photo frames. Then he went to the wardrobe and carried out a cardboard box.

“What’s in here?” Yong Guk asked as he took the box from Jae Hwan’s hand.

“There are many photos of you and Mummy in here,” Jae Hwan said and jumped up the bed to sit beside Yong Guk.

Yong Guk opened the box and as Jae Hwan had said, he indeed saw the photos which he and Yoon-eun had taken in there. Not only that, there were also photos he took of Yoon-eun when they went out and when Yoon-eun was pregnant.

Yong Guk smiled as he looked at all the photos. Jae Hwan looked at him and asked, “Daddy, why are you smiling?”

Yong Guk put the photos back into the box and placed a hand over Jae Hwan’s shoulder.

“I’m looking at the photos of your Mummy. Don’t you think she looked pretty in all these?”

Jae Hwan nodded his head and Yong Guk ruffled his hair.

“Mummy showed all of these to you?” Yong Guk asked.

Jae Hwan shook his head, “I saw it when Mummy asked me to take something from the drawer.”

“What about this box?”

“Mummy always looked at this every night when we come here. But she would cry when she looked at it. Daddy, why did Mummy cry?” Jae Hwan asked Yong Guk and looked at him with his big eyes.

Yong Guk sighed and hugged him closer.

“Daddy made Mummy angry and sad so whenever she saw my photos she would cry. But Daddy promise, this time I’ll stay by Mummy and your side. Daddy will never let Mummy cry again.”

Yong Guk kissed the top of Jae Hwan’s head.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“That’s how Jae Hwan knew that Yong Guk is his father? To think I still want to hide it from him,” Yoon-eun thought and swept away the tear which had run down her cheek as she heard the conversation between the father and son.

She leaned against the wall and took a few deep breathe. After composing herself, she walked into the room.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yoon-eun knocked lightly on the door and entered the room, when she saw the father and son sitting on the bed, she smiled.

“I was still wondering what took you guys so long to shower.”

“Our naughty baby got me wet when I was helping him with the shower so in the end I joined him for one,” Yong Guk smiled at Yoon-eun and said.

Jae Hwan smiled childishly at Yoon-eun and Yoon-eun pinched his cheeks.

“You sure are mischievous,” Yoon-eun said to Jae Hwan.

Then Yoon-eun said to Yong Guk, “Sorry about that. He always likes to splash the water around when he showers.”

“It’s alright. I never had the chance to bath him in the past so it’s a really nice experience for me,” Yong Guk said.

Yoon-eun looked around the room and realized that the photos which Jae Hwan had taken out were gone already.

“It’s getting late. Where are you going to rest tonight?” Yoon-eun asked.

Before Yong Guk could answer, Jae Hwan answered on his behalf.

“I want to sleep with Daddy and Mummy tonight!”

Yoon-eun was lost for words, she didn’t know how to explain to Jae Hwan that Daddy and Mummy are not going to sleep together.

“Don’t worry, after he has fallen asleep I’ll go sleep in the living room,” Yong Guk said when he saw the look on Yoon-eun’s face.

Yoon-eun looked at the puppy eyes Jae Hwan was giving her and soften, “It’s alright. You can sleep here. The bed is big enough, besides Jae Hwan will be sleeping in the middle.”

Yoon-eun walked over to give Jae Hwan a kiss on his forehead, “Mummy is going to take a shower, Daddy will accompany you to bed first okay?”

Jae Hwan smiled at her and nodded his head, “Good night Mummy.”

“Good night,” Yoon-eun said.

Jae Hwan crawled up the bed and lay down on his place. Yoon-eun walked to the wardrobe and got her showing necessities before walking to the bathroom.

Just before she closed the bathroom door, Yong Guk said, “Thanks.”

Yoon-eun smiled at him and closed the door.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When Yoon-eun stepped out of the shower ten minutes later, she saw the father and son fast asleep on the bed. She smiled at the sight and switched off the lights of the bathroom. After applying some skincare products on her face, she switched off all the lights of the room and climbed into the other side of the bed.

Giving a kiss on Jae Hwan’s cheeks, she took a look at Yong Guk’s sleeping look and closed her eyes.

Unknowingly, a smile crept up her face as she drifted off to dreamland.