38

The Pendant

"S-Sungjae's dead, Kyungmi." 

Those words echoed in her head as she dropped her phone in shock. In terror, she turns around to see Sungjae, who was still standing in front of her. If he was dead... then who was this standing in front of her?

"W-who are you?"

"What?"

"Su-Sungjae's dead, who are you?!"

"I am Sungjae, Kyungmi." 

"NO! Zelo called and he said Sungjae's dead! Who are you?!" she cried out in tears. There, in a split second, she realizes what was exactly going on.

Could it be..

That Sungjae's wish to see her for the last time...

Made his spirit actually visit her... before he ascends to heaven?

"S-Sungjae.. a-are you really dead?" she asked, tears spilling down her eyes.

"I'm sorry you weren't able to get in time. I knew you wouldn't, so I visited you myself." Sungjae smiled. "I just... I wanted to see you for the last time..."

"Are you gonna be gone forever?" she asked, sobbing.

"Aigoo, Kyungmi, I am never going to be gone." Sungjae said as he walked towards her. A cold air brushed Kyungmi's face, making her cry harder before raising her head to meet Sungjae's black eyes. "I will always be by your side and watch you. I will never leave you. Sure, you might not see me, but trust me, I'm just there, spiritually. I will never leave my beloved best friend."

"Sungjae..." Kyungmi sobbed as she hugged Sungjae. "Don't go. I can't bear to live without you! You are... you promised-!"

"I know. I know I promised and I feel bad for ever breaking it." Sungjae said softly, as if it was a whisper. "I really am, Kyungmi. Forgive me."

Nothing was heard but Kyungmi's sobs. She didn't want him to leave... not yet. It's not yet his time! It's unfair! It's just unfair!

"Kyungmi..." Sungjae called out. "Promise me one thing, okay?" 

"W-what is it?"

"Never break it, okay?"

"Mhm."

"Look, don't be afraid to show that you fear things. Find a better man, and to be honest, I approve you and Zelo being together. Never abandon your dreams. Tell umma and appa that I am sorry that I didn't make it... but still, I love them. Tell the Melodies that Yook Sungjae loves them, and to always support BtoB. Tell the hyungs that they can do it without me... to continue life even if I'm gone. Tell B.A.P that I'm sorry if ever I judged them wrongly... and most of all, to Zelo. Tell him that I see him as a brother and to take good care of you in my place. Can you tell them that?"

"I-I can." Kyungmi nodded.

"Good. Thank you. That's my final wish."

"... I will grant that."

With one second and one blink, Sungjae was gone. He had vanished into thin air. In that moment, she fell onto her knees as memories rewinded. 

Memories of her and Sungjae..

Making that promise...

Everyday.

Every night...

Every second..

Every minute...

Every hour....

There was never a time they didn't promised.

Eversince they were little, aged six.

"Sungjae~" Kyungmi heard her little self cry out in her little voice as she saw that image of her running towards little Sungjae. "Hey~"

"Yes?" she heard little Sungjae cry out.

"Are you gonna stay by my side forever?"

"What made you ask me such? Of course I will."

"... I-it's just that some of my classmates said that we would be separated at some time."

"Psh, don't mind them! They're simply jealous!"

"... J-jealous?"

"Because you've got me! I won't leave you ever!"

"Promise?"

"Promise!" 

Soon, she hears voices again, her memories of her and Sungjae when they were thirteen... when they made the same promise again... "Sungjae-ah." she saw her thirteen years old self call out to her best friend.

"Yes?"

"Will we ever be separated?"

"Aish, what's up with you being pessimistic these days? I told you we won't be, remember?"

"... I have a feeling."

"It's just a feeling, it won't come true!" 

"... Promise?"

"Yup!"

"Then say it."

"I promise not to leave Jung Kyungmi!"

"Yay." she heard herself say loudly before hugging Sungjae for a tight hug. She felt herself tear up as she reminisced every piece of those memories with her brother-like best friend. Just as when she felt a tear would slip from her eye, she recalled a memory of her and Sungjae...

The day before he passes away.

"Sungjae?" she heard herself call out.

"Yes? Is something wrong, Kyungmi?" Sungjae asked, his voice weak and faint, but still audible for the young lass. She recalled how weak the other looked, his eyes half open and his cold hands trembling slightly.

"... Will you leave me now?"

"Aish, how long are you going to keep asking me that?"

"I just... wanna make sure."

"Look, I'm not leaving, understood? I'm never leaving your side."

"B-but, in this situation you're in is... -"

"Trust me, I won't leave you."

"... Pr-promise?"

"...."

"Sungjae?"

"I promise. I promise not to leave you." his voice echoed in her mind, finally making her fall on her knees, tears finally escaping her eyes. She cannot forget how painful that feeling of her best friend-brother leave her like this. 

"Y-You promised not to leave me..." she sobbed as she brought her hands on her face. "You broke your promise... Sungjae... why? Years, you told me you won't leave, but now...? ... You... you-"

"I will never leave you." 

Nothing but sobs filled the place. Kyungmi's sobs.

She knew that Sungjae was gone... physically.

But like what the man promised.

He will never leave.

He's still there.

Spiritually...

Guiding and guarding Kyungmi wherever she goes.

Like he always promised.

Forever beside her. 

Soon, the next thing Kyungmi heard was the door of her apartment open as three guys appeared. Yongguk, Eunkwang and Himchan were there, standing beside her and knelt down her, their voices echoing the whole place. She felt their touch and soon, her vision out, the only things she recalled was them shouting her name and the feeling of the cold cemented floor on her fair skin.

 

 

A week later, everyone had attended Yook Sungjae's special day.

A day worth remembering.

His funeral.

Black. That was the color everyone saw. A commemoration of Sungjae's death. A symbol of agony. Black suits, black dresses, everything was black and as if nature saw things, the rain poured heavily. The sound of sad and slow melodies filled the air.

"He was a nice kid." Eunkwang stated, holding his tears as hard as he can. "He always smiles despite the pain that slowly devours him. He wanted everyone to smile and laugh like idiots, no matter how down the atmosphere is. He always would dance and sing like an idiot back at our dorm just to earn our laughs, no matter how soft they were. He was seemingly an angel for us. He is a gift from heaven... sent for a special reason. To make us see things positively."

"Sungjae's a great guy... and once he says he won't break things, he won't. His vocals are that of an angel's." Ilhoon stated. "I can remember the first time he sang... it was amazing that I can't bear to bury it. It's too bad that his life had to end early... I feel bad for not even taking him to the amusement park for the last time. He badly wanted to go there.. all of us."

"Sungjae... started out as a rival. An enemy." Yongguk said. "As the leader of BtoB's former rival group B.A.P, but late was it when I realized it wasn't worth seeing him as such. It was better seeing that kid as a friend... as a brother. He isn't worth being called an enemy. Sungjae, if you can hear me, in behalf of the whole B.A.P, we're terribly sorry for all things we did and said about you."

"Sungjae... I know you can hear me." Zelo began. "Like what Yongguk-hyung said, I'm sorry. I'm sorry for hurting you, BtoB-hyungs and most of all, Kyungmi. Here's something, I'll make up on you by protecting your sister-like best friend. I promise. May you rest in peace... Yook Sungjae."

"S-Sungjae." Kyungmi finally spoke, her voice quivering, her tears held back. "Remember that day... when we met? It's because of this pendant around my neck. You were first a stranger, then a friend, and finally, a best friend. You stood by me through better and worse... never leaving my side. You were always there to protect me and get hurt, despite you getting hurt already. Then, remember that time when umma had to leave to work abroad? You spent numerous nights trying to make me stop crying. You were, are and will always be a brother for me. I'm sorry that I wasn't able to repay you back. As a sister, a best friend, and as Jung Kyungmi, may you rest in peace... I love. Oh, and I know you will never break your promise. I know you'll never leave me."

With that, the rain poured harder. Sungjae's parents had to drive from Busan to Seoul just to see their beloved son for the last time. He slowly disappeared as the wet soil was piled up his silver coffin. Everyone shed tears and threw a single stem of white rose above his coffin. 

But along with his burial, the memories would remain. He would always be remembered as the dorky Sungjae who lets everyone smile no matter what.

Yook Sungjae.

That name would always have a meaning in everyone's hearts.

"Kyungmi..." Zelo called out, grabbing Kyungmi's attention quickly. 

"Y-yeah?"

"I promise I won't leave you." Zelo smiled as he placed his hand over Kyungmi's shoulder, pulling her closer. "Those were the words you always wanted to hear from him, right?"

"... Yeah."

"I'll make that come true. I won't leave you... in behalf of his place."

"... Thank you, but, don't make promises anymore." she smiled as she held Zelo's hand. "I'm okay, I don't want to get hurt."

"I understand. I just want you to know."

"Mhm. I know."

"... Bye, Sungjae." Zelo said as he saw Sungjae completely vanish. "I'll take care of her for you... take that as a promise never to be broken."

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

"Goodbye, Yook Sungjae. Sarangheyo, my dear brother... my dear best friend." Kyungmi smiled as tears escaped her eyes. 

For the last time, BtoB, now as six members, sang for their deceased brother with one of their remarkable and first songs, Father, which they revised as "Yook Sungjae".

"Sseul sseul haejin dwitmoseubi nat seoreo

Georeo ganeun naenae barabodaga
Geunyang nunmuri naseo
Geunyang ulgiman haesseo
Jigeum kkeot moreugo san naega miwoseo

Apeseon taeyeonhan cheog utgiman haeseo
Hangsang nae apeseon ganghan cheog haeseo
Saenggag jocha motaesseo
Anin julman arasseo
Sseul sseul han dwit moseubeul mollatdeon geoya

Geuttaeneun mollatjyo neomuna eoryeotjyo
Nuguboda oeroul tende
Dagagaji motaetjyo
Ijeya aratjyo jogeum neujeun geon anijyo
Neomuna hago sipeun mal yeongwonhi
Saranghabnida
Nae Yook Sungjae

Hanchameul geureoke nan barabodaga
Dallyeogaseo geunyang ana beoryeosseo
Manyang ulgo sipeoseo
Geu pume ulgo sipeoseo
Dangsinui gomaumi neomu seoreowoseo

Geuttaeneun mollatjyo neomuna eoryeotjyo
Nuguboda oeroul tende
Dagagaji motaetjyo
Ijeya aratjyo jogeum neujeun geon anijyo
Neomuna hago sipeun mal yeongwonhi
Saranghabnida
Nae Yook Sungjae

Hansum han beon pug swimyeon da naajin deut sen cheog
Naegen boyeoyo geudaeui heureuji anhneun nunmul
Sangcheo gadeughan gaseum ulji ankon apasseul hyungteo
Da naega mandeun geonde jakku haeyo wae geudae taseul
And your eyes showed you were tired
But you hid it, such a liar
Ije naega ana julgeyo naege gidaedo dwaeyo
And your eyes showed you were tired
But you hid it such a liar
Geudaeneun yeongwonhan naui nopeun haneurieyo

Geochireojin sone jureumjin nungae
Sseul sseul haejin dwitmoseub majeo
Nan igsughaji anhaseo
Naega geuraetna bwa apeuge haetna bwa
Dwidoraseon dwismoseub majeo
Naega namgin jimman gataseo
Haejun ge eobtjiman
Nan deurin ge hana eobtjiman
Neomuna hago sipeun mal yeongwonhi
Saranghabnida
Nae Yook Sungjae" 

Harmonious and heavenly were their voices.

Their voices echoed the whole place...

For the last time.

In memory of their beloved brother, Sungjae, before his earthly body vanishes and breaks into ashes.

The song...

Built by the seven of them.

Sang by the heart for Sungjae.

Their Sungjae.