21

The Pendant

"It's a tie!" the announcer cried, shocking everyone. The whole place was filled with shouts and dismayed reactions. 

"Tie?" Jongup cried in shock. "Are you serious?!"

"The judges made the results, not me, sir." the announcer defended. "This is what their decision, so I have nothing much to do. I am simply an announcer."

"That can't be." Yongguk frowned, crossing his arms. "One should win, right, guys?" he asked, facing the crowd, who eagerly agreed and began complaining. That made the announcer nervous, for he can only announce and do nothing at all. He isn't a judge, and despite being on B.A.P's side, he can't do anything. He can't lie that B.A.P won, right?

"We need to do something." Eunkwang said. 

"True." Changsub nodded. "The audience aren't going to stop screaming and complaining a winner is decided."

Luckily, one of the judges got up the stage and whispered something to the announcer. There, the announcer smiled and nodded, bringing the microphone near his mouth again, this time, telling the idea one of the judges came up with. "Okay, one of the judges suggested that we have a third round to see who the real winner is."

"A third round?" Peniel exclaimed in astonishment. "B-but we prepared nothing anymore!"

"Exactly. That's the idea of that round. You need to put up a performance out of the air, without practice or whatever. As a group, solo, duo, trio or whatever, as long as you put up a show for the third round."

"... What do we do?" Ilhoon asked, turning to their leader. "We've got nothing under our sleeves, hyung!"

"I know that, Ilhoon." Eunkwang worriedly replied. "I've got no idea what to do."

"Wait, don't tell me you guys have nothing?" Daehyun chuckled mockingly. "Psh, that's it, we are obviously the winner!"

"What makes you say that?!" Minhyuk angrily cried out.

"Uh, hello? A true kingka is always prepared for things like this." Youngjae smirked. "And seeing that you have none proves that we are the true kingkas."

"That has nothing to do with being kingkas, idiot!" Changsub cried out. "And besides, you were the ones to build this event so you absolutely know what'll happen, so you prepared a performance for this third round!"

"Uh, hello? We didn't even knew that we'll have a tie." Himchan scoffed. "Therefore, we have nothing prepared. We simply practiced just in case."

BtoB was quiet. If they don't present anything, they'll loose! Loose to their dreaded rivals! For them, defeat from B.A.P would be a humiliating to them and a big minus to their pride! It will definitely hurt their pride. "What do we do?" Hyunsik mumbled, panic rushing up to him like the other members.

Thankfully, Sungjae had an idea. "Excuse me, but I was thinking of performing with someone not a member of BtoB. Specifically, a Meldoy, is that allowed?" he politely asked.

"Hm... I think that is allowed." the announcer nodded. There, screams filled the building, Melodies raising their hands and calling the tall maknae of BtoB. Of course, Sungjae had a name in mind already and finally called her on stage.

"Jung Kyungmi, come here up the stage now." Sungjae said, silencing everyone.

Mumbles filled the air. Of all people, Kyungmi?

In Kyungmi's place meanwhile, when she heard her name, she felt as if the world stopped. She was frozen in place as she tried processing Sungjae's words. She really heard her name...

And was commanded to go up the stage!

Up the freaking stage!

"I think he won't notice me if I don't do anything." she thought to herself and remained completely motionless. The other Melodies know her, but tend to ignore her, so even if she doesn't remain motionless, she still won't be noticed. 

"Jung Kyungmi I know you're there. Come up here, now." Sungjae repeated. 

Still, no response. No one stood up.

"I know you're there, Kyungmi. Stand up or raise your hand and come here. Please." Sungjae begged, but still, none. "Please..."

"Okay, I'll count up to five for you, BtoB. If that Kyungmi girl isn't here at the count of five, we're announcing B.A.P as the winner." the announcer said firmly. "1..."

"I know you're there, please..." Sungjae continued to beg.

"2..."

"Kyungmi..."

"3..."

"You don't want us to loose, right?"

"4..."

"I'm begging you. Please, please raise your hand if you're there!"

"Fi-"

But the speech of the announcer was cut off when someone in the crowd raised her hand and stood up, her head lowered. Kyungmi! "I'm here! I will participate!" she cried out and walked towards the stage, an emotionless face still put on as she climbed the stage.

"What made you think of me performing, Sungjae?" Kyungmi hissed.

"You were the first to come in my mind, mianhe." Sungjae softly replied.

"So, what do we do?" Kyungmi asked.

"We perform. The two of us."

"Perform what?"

"... No idea." 

"Aish, babo!"

Seeing that BtoB wasn't prepared still, the announcer decided to let B.A.P perform first. Of course, they nodded and asked the others to watch and learn. "Hit it!" Yongguk cried out. At that moment, a strong and catchy melody filled the air, making the Babys scream and squeal.

"To all the Babys, yes sir!" Yongguk started.

"Urireul ttara yessir!" Zelo followed.

"Sijakhae, ready action"

"We’re back to the, to the oldschool."

There, Yongguk and Zelo danced along with the beat perfectly, and afterwards, gave a super powerful rap! Everyone screamed in amazement as the two gave out fast raps. After them, Daehyun followed with his well-known vocals.

"Ready to fly, fly
We gettin’ high, high
Uriege hangyeneun eobseo, kkeuteul al su eobseo oh~
Ready to fly, fly
We gettin’ high, high
Nareul magaseon neol ttwieoneomgesseo oh yeah!" 

As simple as that, they finished their performance in a minute, earning squeals and cheers from their fans. Of course, with them ending, BtoB needs to give their performance. "What now?" Eunkwang asked.

"... We'll do an acoustic version of Oppa Gangnam Style. Me and Kyungmi sang that once." Sungjae said, facing Kyungmi.

"That song?" Kyungmi blinked.

"Well, yeah. When we played it, it was great, right?"

"I know... but we don't have a guitar."

"Leave that to me!" Minhyuk smiled and dashed to one of the contestants with a guitar. Hurriedly, he asked if he can borrow it, which he was allowed to and gave it to Sungjae. "Here, use this."

"Thanks, hyung." Sungjae smiled and held Kyungmi's hand. "Kajja."

"... O-okay."

As the two stood on stage, Sungjae sat on a chair and tuned the guitar. He was given a microphone on its stand for the guitar to be heard, and so can his vocals. Kyungmi remained standing, holding a mic, shaking. "Start." the announcer said. 

Sungjae nodded to Kyungmi and began to play the guitar, which Kyungmi accompanies with her vocals. "Naje-neun ttasaroun inkanjeo-gin yeo ja, keo-..." she stops as she had forgotten the lyrics. She was trembling greatly, which Sungjae notices.

"Don't be nervous." Sungjae said.

"I-I can't. You know I have stage fright." Kyungmi trembled.

"We're doing this together, don't worry." Sungjae smiled and tapped the lady's shoulder. "Take a deep breath in, and out. Okay?"

"Mhm."

"Ready to go?"

"No." she trembled, holding the mic tightly, her hands getting sweaty as every second passed. "I-I can't do this really, I can't."

"Look, just look at me and ignore the crowd." Sungjae smiled. "Just imagine that we're practice like always. As if we are only singing together. That's it's just the two of us."

With one deep breath, Kyungmi nodded and locked her eyes on Sungjae, who began playing the guitar.

"Hey. Sungjae-Kyungmi in the house." Sungjae starts. "And, one, two three and..!"

Upon hearing a familiar note, Kyungmi slowly opened and made the words escape her lips.

And at that moment, a heavenly voice fills the air, silencing everyone. Every Baby, every Melody, everyone. They were all dead silent as Kyungmi's voice ruled the place. None had expected her to sound that beautiful.

The school tomboy, singing like that? Who would have thought. Plus, while singing, her emotionless face was gone and a smile was painted on her. She was enjoying that moment, singing happily with Sungjae and such. Soon, she gathered up the courage and faced the crowd. She was smiling, singing with a pure voice. Everyone's jaws fell down and their eyes widened. 

The sound of the guitar, Sungjae's supporting vocals and Kyungmi's honey voice. Wow, everyone was put in a trance just by listening to her!

As the song ended with one hit of a high note, everyone gave the duo a standing ovation, cheering loudly for them. For some reason, things went differently, as what Kyungmi thought, if she shares a stage with Sungjae, more hates will be given.

But no. This was different. They were cheering, shouting hers and Sungjae's name. Their screams filled the building once again, and they were all obviously amazed to her. 

Even BtoB and B.A.P were amazed! Never had they expected Kyungmi to sing this great and to put such spectacular presentation! In fact, BtoB themselves never heard Kyungmi sing in their lives! B.A.P thought that Kyungmi was only good in academics and school work, but who thought that she had a honey voice too, like Sungjae? 

"Okay, the judges have made their decision!" the announcer said and got another envelope from the judges. In their minds, everyone had a drum roll sound echoing. It was a moment of suspense.

"The winner is...!"

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

"BtoB! Congratulations!" 

Upon hearing the name of the group, all Melodies shouted in joy, jumping like crazy and chanting every member's name. Of course, BtoB themselves were glad as well, shouting in joy and hugging each other to celebrate their win. Kyungmi, meanwhile, was hugged by Sungjae, and the young lass managed to hug back in happiness. It was her that made the group win, thus, she also earned cheering from the Melodies. They were all glad of who won.

Well, almost everyone.

B.A.P coldly left the stage as they can't bear to hear the results. They can't accept defeat, and that hurt their pride. Loosing to their rival group is definitely painful for their ego. If one was at their place, who wouldn't, right?

"Melodies! We won!" Eunkwang announced, speaking on his microphone, earning squeals once again. "Thank you!"

"Let us not forget to thank the real reason why we won!" Sungjae said, pulling Kyungmi near him. "Let's all give a hand to Kyungmi!"

And so was it. The way everyone saw Kyungmi changed. Something inside the young lass somewhat felt pissed for they only noticed her due to her performance just now, and with that, she'll get noticed. But also, part of her wanted to ignore that fact as she smiled and bowed to the crowd, glad that she was the key to her oppas' success.

 

 

"A cheers for our win!" Eunkwang proposed as he raised his drink.

"Cheers!" everyone cheered as their raised drinks. 

A celebration among them eight was what BtoB and Kyungmi arranged after school. They celebrated in their dormitory. Dishes were served, their songs were the background music and so on. Plus, the scene from their place was simply astounding for Kyungmi.

Winning the contest from B.A.P was simply a great accomplishment for BtoB. They defeated their dreaded rivals in terms of talent presentation. They beat them in their own game! They made them taste their own darn medicines! So much to give to those damn jerks, right?

"Hey, let's not forget the real reason why we won!" Ilhoon cried as he offered a hand to Kyungmi, helping her stand up. "Jung Kyungmi, our song writer and honey-voiced singer led us to our great win! A cheer for her!"

"Cheers!" they cried out and raised their drinks again. 

"We couldn't have done anything without your aid!" Hyunsik smiled and patted the younger's head.

"Eh? All I simply did was sing. I didn't do much, oppa." Kyungmi giggled as she tried swatting Hyunsik's hand away from her head.

"What do you mean didn't do much?" Peniel cried in astonishment. "You wrote the lyrics and sang a heavenly song! That proves you did so many things for us, Kyungmi."

"Aw, I'm flattered." she laughed. "Anyways, you were the one to present them anyways, and I simply helped you by the lyrics and the third round."

"True." they chuckled.

"Say, I really am greatly amazed on how you put on a show back there." she smiled before sitting down. "You really shocked me on how sharp the dance moves are and how harmonious you guys were. I never imagined you to be that great. Sure, you are great, but I never knew that you were that great."

"So, project 'Surprise Kyungmi' was a success?" Minhyuk asked.

"Yup. A total success if you ask me." Kyungmi smiled sweetly, making the seven give a high five at each other. 

"Oh, yeah, we totally showed those darn B.A.P who the real kingka group is on top!" Changsub snickered. "I bet they'll finally stop being so full of themselves after today."

"Let's hope that." Eunkwang nodded.

"Again, you did well, Kyungmi." Sungjae whispered to Kyungmi.

"Thanks." Kyungmi smiled as she looked at her best friend. Grabbing her drink again, she stood up and raised it up in the air. "Again, cheers for BtoB's win!"

"Cheers!"

 

 

"Argh, I can't believe what happened today!" Yongguk cried out, slamming the door as if it would break the moment it was closed. "We did horrible there! We were made to look like fools by those damn BtoB pups! Geez, all those practice ending up for nothing! Annoying!"

"Hyung, calm down, will you?" Jongup sighed as he plopped down the couch. "You're being too loud!"

"Yeah, Yongguk, chill." Himchan added as he removed his jacket. "We are all frustrated about things, we know that. You're not the only one to react that way, dude. Quit being violent."

"Me? Chill?! ARE YOU EVEN HEARING YOUR OWN WORDS?!" Yongguk snapped, punching the walls of their dormitory.

"Aish, this is just getting annoying." Daehyun sighed.

"Tell me about it." Youngjae whined. 

"Hyung, if you don't mind, I think we aren't supposed to... react this way." Zelo faltered, making Yongguk turn his attention to their tall maknae.

"What?" Yongguk twitched. "Can... you repeat what you have just said, Junhong?"

"I said that I think we aren't suppoesd to react this way." Zelo repeated, raising his voice a bit now. "Well, they really were better performers than us to be honest. They danced well and sang in unison, so maybe they really deserve the win."

Hearing the maknae's words just made the situation worse, making everyone block their sense of hearing, knowing what will happen next. "Junhong? Are you even hearing those words escaping your god-damn lips?" Yongguk asked. "Deserve the win? CHOI JUNHONG! Listen here, we're the Best, absolute and perfect. In short, B.A.P! We're the best among the rest, and it's in our name."

"But we can't always be all the time... right?" 

"... What are you saying? Can you even hear what you're saying?"

"Yes, yes I do, hyung. I can hear my words loud and clear." 

"What's gotten into you? Are you perhaps siding with them now?"

"No, that's not it, hyung. I-"

"Now, listen here, Junhong! BtoB is our rivals! RIVALS! Dreaded rivals that we are fighting for, for the sake of our position in school! We're both kingka groups and that contest determines who the real kingka group is! That win was darn important for us, damn it!"

"Hyung! Why can't you see that it's not us fated to be the real kingka group? Why can't you just see that fact?! Are you blind or something?"

Grabbing the maknae by his shirt, Yongguk tugged Zelo near him and glared at the poor boy, as if he wanted to gobble him up. "Listen here, Choi Junhong. Winning that god damn contest was our opportunity, and is as important as our lives! Can you not see that?" the leader hisses.

"No, hyung. You are the one who can't see things well. You can't give and show sportsmanship." Zelo hissed back, making him receive a hard and sharp blow from the leader, causing him to fall on the floor. Of course, having it marked in him already, Zelo returned the blow and soon, the two were causing a fuss in the house that the other members had to hold them back.

"Yah, yah! Hajima!" Himchan cried out and pulled Yongguk away from Zelo with the help of Youngjae. "Don't fight Zelo!"

"You stop too, Zelo! C'mon! Hajima!" Jongup cried, pulling the maknae with Daehyun. "Stop already!"

"You tell hyung!" Zelo cried out as he tried breaking free from the two's arms. "Lemme go!"

"That's it! That's it! Lemme go for heck's sake, Himchan!" Yongguk cried out as he broke free from Himchan and Youngjae's grip. "That's it, Zelo..."

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

"Get outta here. Now."