o1

The Pendant

The sun finally rose.

Morning finally came.

Its warm rays lit the whole place up, bringing warmth to the once dead place. Seoul was lit up bright. The rays found their way inside every building, bringing warmth in their houses. By every building, even the littlest buildings were lit up.

The warm sunlight found their way inside a small building. An apartment to be exact. The rays lit up a dark room, revealing a figure under the white bed sheets. Soon, it rolled here and there before sitting up straight.

A girl.

Long, straight, black hair. Slim body. Fair skin, and pretty face as well.

This girl? She's named Jung Kyungmi.

After a few stretching, the young girl jumped off her bed and made her way to the bathroom to do her morning rituals. Afterwards, she headed to the dining table and looked at the wall clock. "A few minutes earlier than expected again, I see." Kyungmi sighed. "I guess I won't be needing that alarm clock anymore."

The young girl prepared a simple breakfast. Two jelly-filled sandwiches and a glass full of milk. After taking her breakfast, she headed back to the bathroom and took a bathe, then dressed up in her school uniform, brushed her teeth and so on.

"Okay, hanky, check. Homework, check. Yup, I'm all set!" she smiled and grabbed a blue comb, combing her long and partially wet, black hair. Afterwards, she put up a bright smile, though she knows it'll be useless as others will still see her differently. People tend to judge others by look, and that's a fact.

Just when she was about to go, she turned to a picture a few feet away from her. Carefully, she picked it up and smiled. "Umma, appa, I'll do well as promised!" she said before placing a small kiss on the picture and carefully placed it back down. Then, she hurried out of her apartment room.

After climbing down a few floors from her apartment room, a middle aged woman greeted her, her arms crossed. "Early again, eh, Kyungmi-ah?" she greeted.

"Ah, ahjumma! Good morning." Kyungmi bowed. 

"I really find you waking up early without alarms quite interesting, young lassie." 

"So do I." she giggled. "So, are you going somewhere, ahjumma?"

"Oh, I was about to make my way at your room, but, it turns out, you met me first." the older woman laughed. "Have fun at school now, arraseo?"

"Of course, ahjumma." Kyungmi nodded and began running off.

"Ah-! Wait! Kyungmi-ah!" the older woman cried.

"Yes, ahjumma?" Kyungmi asked, stopping in her tracks just to turn around at the older woman, her brow slightly raised. "What is it?"

"You forgot something, young lassie." she laughed, pointing at her neck.

Kyungmi's eyes grew wide and brought her right hand over her neck. "Aish! I forgot that again!!!" she cried and ran back to her apartment.

"Aigoo, that lady is something."

Kyungmi hurried to her apartment room. Upon arriving there, she grabbed a key from her bag and unlocked the door. She made her way to her room and grabbed a silver heart pendant. "There you are, I'm so sorry for leaving you!" Kyungmi cried as she caressed the small pendant before wearing it around her neck. Afterwards, she headed to the mirror to look at herself. Seeing the small pendant around her neck made her smile and memories flow back to her head...

 

Busan, Korea. Year 2003.

Everyone was buzzing busily, students were hurrying back to their homes. Everything was quite normal, well, almost normal.

"Are you sure you dropped it here?" a young boy asked. This was no other than 7 years old Yook Sungjae. By the looks of his face, it can be easily seen that he is quite irritated. "If you dropped it here, then it should be here!"

"I'm sure about it! I dropped it here!!!" a younger girl cried. She was 7 years old Jung Kyungmi, who was in the verge of crying already. "I lost it here! I swear!"

"If you did, then it should be here." Sungjae said and walked around the park. "I'll look there, you look over there, arraseo?"

"Nae, Jae." Kyungmi nodded and searched at the place Sungjae told her to look for. It was nearly dark but the two kids refused to go home.

What were they looking for?

A pendant. A silver heart pendant. Kyungmi's pendant to be precise.

"Any signs of it?" Kyungmi cried.

"Nope." Sungjae replied as he dusted his pants. "I saw nothing."

"I can't go home without it! And, it's crazy important to me!!!" Kyungmi wailed as tears finally escaped her eyes. Sungjae, being a good friend, brought the young girl close to him for a hug, patting her back constantly. "That was my most prized possessions!"

"I know that, but if it was, why didn't you replace its lock so that it doesn't fall of your neck every now and then, eh, Kyungmi?" Sungjae asked.

"It's expensive."

"And...?"

"Hello? Umma can barely support me! If I waste money over that pendant, it'll be more trouble. Besides, I refuse to do any changes with that pendant!"

"Aish, fine, your choice."

Again, the two continued looking, and soon, the moon ruled the night sky. "Kyungmi-ah, let's go home. Imo must be worried for you already." Sungjae said.

"I'm not going home until I find my pendant!" Kyungmi cried.

"But... we're not gonna find it."

"We will!"

"Kyungmi-"

"We are going to find it, Jae! I swear!"

"... Fine."

"Jae should go home already. His umma doesn't want him coming home late, right? I don't know want Jae to be scolded because of me. Go home already." Kyungmi said.

"I'm not leaving without you. It's dangerous out here, remember?"

"I'm gonna be okay, Jae. I promise."

"But-"

"Please, Jae. I don't want you scolded because of me again. Just go home, okay? I promise, I'll go home before eight."

"Before eight, go home then. Arraseo."

With the young boy going home, Kyungmi continued looking around the park, hoping to see her lost pendant. Unluckily, she saw no signs of it. Two hours had passed and it was nearly eight, and as promised to Sungjae, she would go home before eight. Her tears fell from her eyes as she stood up, dusted, and decided to go home, loosing hope that she would see her pendant.

That was what she thought...

"Excuse me." a small voice called out, making Kyungmi turned around. A young boy, a few inches taller than her, approached her, his voice soft and gentle. "Um... I heard you were looking for something. Is this it?" he asked and showed a familiar silver pendant.

"My pendant!" Kyungmi gasped as she grabbed the pendant. "W-where'd you find it?"

"I found it over there." he said and pointed a few feet away from them, near the bushes. "I nearly stepped at it, but, don't worry, I didn't. I heard you were looking for a pendant so I thought this was yours."

"It is. Thank you." Kyungmi smiled. "Do you live around here?"

"I'm from Mokpo actually. I'm just visiting Busan for a week, and this is my last day. Tomorrow, me and my parents would be going back to Mokpo . Umma and appa decided to stay here for a week to celebrate their anniversary."

"Ah, I see. I hope you enjoyed around here."

"Nae. I did." the young boy smiled. "So, do you live near here?"

"Yeah. Just a few distances from here. You?"

"Quite far, but I can manage."

"I see..."

"Do you want me to walk you home?"

"A-aniyo, I'm okay. I'm good. I can handle myself."

"Okay then."

"Hey, are you free tomorrow?"

"Yeah, why?"

"As a thank you for returning my pendant, let's play here tomorrow! Well... if it's okay for you."

"Of course. We're leaving in the evening anyway, so, I'm good. See you here tomorrow?"

"Yeah! See you!"

"Bye~"

And as Kyungmi said, the next day, she met with the same young boy, who was dressed simply. Kyungmi dressed in a simple shirt and shorts, her black hair tied up in a ponytail. "Hi." she shyly greeted upon seeing the young boy.

"Hello." he greeted with a wave. 

"So, what do you want to do today?"

"Don't know. You told me we'll be playing, right? Anything you want to play though?"

"Hm, none really." Kyungmi laughed. "You?"

"None too." he laughed softly. "Let's walk around, sounds good?"

"Yeah!"

The whole day passed and the two had lots of fun. The day quickly came into an end before they even knew it. The sun had set as if after a minute, it already did. Though the two didn't want to be parted yet, they had to be. "You had fun though, right?" Kyungmi asked.

"Of course. You know, you're the first friend I made out of Mokpo." the young boy chuckled.

"Jinjja? Well, I'm honored!"

"So, I hope we meet again next time again, okay?"

"Of course."

With that, the young boy left. He walked away. Kyungmi was sad that her newly found friend had to leave quickly. Upon seeing the young boy leave, something popped inside Kyungmi's head all of the sudden. "Ah! Wait! I forgot! Who are you? I forgot to ask your name!!!"

 

 

"I wonder where he is now." Kyungmi mumbled upon the thought of that "guy" she met years ago. "Aigoo, how can I not ask his name back then!? Aish, Kyungmi you babo."

With that fixed, the young girl darted out of her room again and ran to her school. She was still minutes early, but well, the early bird catches the worm, right? It's better to attend school earlier.

After a few running, Kyungmi finally arrived in her school. An enormous building was in front of her and people with the same uniform as her were entering the said building either by groups or by pairs. Kyungmi walked alone most times, and she didn't mind this too. 

Well, despite her "real" bright personality, people see her as a loner. Tomboyish because of her style and emotionless. She really isn't close with anyone around the school, except for "that" group.

Finally making way to her to the hallway where their sections are, Kyungmi squeezed in to look up her name. Her eyes scanned the other papers and found her name not listed in any of them, thus leaving the last section...

The Star Section, or as others call it, the Honors' Class, where all total smarty pants belong. Her eyes carefully scanned the names, looking for hers. "Oh? Jung? Jung Kyungmi! That's me!" she gasped. Her eyes can't possibly fool her! That was her name! Jung Kyungmi belongs to the Honors' Class!

Just as when Kyungmi was busy jumping up and down secretly in a corner, a pair of hands suddenly landed on Kyungmi's shoulders, making her jolt a bit, just to find out that it was "him".

"Aish! Yook Sungjae, you gave me a heart attack!" Kyungmi hissed upon seeing the taller guy in front of her. "Aish, hajima!"

"You just look cute when you're shocked~" Sungjae laughed. "Good morning!"

"Good morning." Kyungmi smiled.

"What class are you in?"

"Guess it~"

"Hm.... Class 3?"

"Babo! I'm in the Honors' Class!"

"Jinjja? We're classmates then!"

"You're in the same class I am?!"

"Yeah." Sungjae nodded. "Wae?"

"I never expected you to be in the Star Section." Kyungmi laughed. 

"What are you trying to imply, eh?"

"Nothing~!" 

With that covered, Kyungmi and Sungjae grabbed attention again, especially those from girls. They were all looking at the young girl as if they want to kill her and throw her out of the building. Well, what do you expect? Everyone would get  jealous if you see one of the school kingkas talking to a super unpopular tomboy girl, right? 

"Aish, here it goes again..." Kyungmi sighed as she saw the girls starring at her. 

"Just ignore them, okay?" Sungjae smiled. Kyungmi is very much aware that her best friend is a kingka and of course, a part of one of the school's popular kingka groups named BtoB. "They're just jealous."

"Curse your freaking face." she hissed.

"It's not my fault that I was born this way." Sungjae pouted. "And seriously, if you put in a few feminine styles, you're sure to be the school queenka in no time."

"You are very much aware that I hate feminine styles, right?" Kyungmi sighed. "I'd prefer boyish styles than my genders' style. I prefer comfy ones than those damn revealing thingies."

"And the heels?"

"Especially heels!" 

Soon, six tall guys made their way through the crowd. In girls' eyes, the boys were sparkling bright and one glimpse of their faces is enough to make them faint. No mistake, this is BtoB, or Born To Beat, one of the most popular school kingka groups, and the same group Sungjae belongs.

"Good morning." the six greeted.

"Hi, good morning too, oppa." Kyungmi bowed, a smile crossing her face. "New record out there, eh? The moment you stepped in, I saw the girls faint!"

"Yeah..." Eunkwang sighed. "Aigoo, I never knew being a school kingka is a pain in the neck!"

"What do you expect when you have these faces?" Ilhoon asked. "Of course lassies will go bananas over us!"

"Curse our parents for giving us such perfect faces." Peniel sighed.

"Exactly." the other members sighed.

"So, I heard that Sungjae here and Kyungmi are in the Honors' Class, right?" Hyunsik smiled.

"Nae." the two nodded.

"Chukae!" the six clapped. "Do well!"

"We will, hyung. Don't worry." Sungjae smiled. 

"And Sungjae-ah." Changsub called out. "Since you're the only BtoB member to watch out for Kyungmi here, do that role of yours well, arraseo?"

"Changsub-oppa, I don't need someone to watch out for me." Kyungmi pouted. "I'm an independent woman, I can stand by myself."

"Really? What's your proof?" Minhyuk asked.

"I'm working part time and support myself, remember?" 

"Oh... right."

"Anyways, just look out for her normally, like what we often do." Eunkwang smiled before patting the young girl's head. "I don't want our little kitten be flocked by the Melodies just because the school's Emotionless Tomboy gets to be close with Sungjae and BtoB."

"What can they do, Sungjae's my childhood friend and is my best friend." Kyungmi pouted. "And stop calling me kitten, sheesh."

"Exactly, but Melodies are fans. Fans are fans." Ilhoon said. 

"Fine." 

Soon, the group decides to stay away from the crowd of "Melodies" to avoid any harm from their "little kitten". "So, let's have lunch again together, sounds good?" Peniel suggested.

"Of course." Ilhoon nodded before turning around to Kyungmi. "Are you free?"

"Hm... let's see. I'm a loner. I've got no friends. You guys are the only ones I am close too. Gee, I don't know, what do you think, Ilhoon-oppa?" Kyungmi sighed.

"Right..." Ilhoon snickered. "So, we're having lunch then!"

Soon, squeals filled the halls, making Kyungmi jolt in shock. "Whoa, what the what is going on?!" she cried in shock. Along with BtoB, the eight averted to their eyes back at the girls, who were jumping up and down and squeeling.

"What's with them?" Changsub asked, clicking his tongue.

"Aish, too noisy." Hyunsik whined.

Soon, the whining stopped when BtoB and Kyungmi saw who the group was.

 

 

It was no other than B.A.P, BtoB's most hated rivals.