17

The Pendant

Meanwhile, in Sungjae's place, he finally arrived in BtoB's dormitory, and as expected, his hyungs were slacking off. Each and everyone of them were doing their own stuff. Watching things on T.V, playing games in their own Ipads, reading books, chatting or simply staring into space or laying down the couch.

"I'm back." Sungjae said in a soft matter, enough for the other six members to hear. 

"Welcome back, Sungjae." Minhyuk greeted, a smile curling up his face upon seeing their maknae return from his visit from Kyungmi's place. "Did you give Kyungmi her dinner?"

"I did, hyung." Sungjae nodded before sitting down on the couch. For some reason, everyone noticed that the youngest member was not as cheery and bubbly as they often see, thus, making them wonder for the reason and finally, ask him himself.

"Did something happen, Sungjae?" Eunkwang asked, raising a brow at him. 

"What gave you the reason to ask such, Eunkwang-hyung?" Sungjae responded, his eyes slightly widened and his facial expression showing shock. 

"You aren't smiling that bright, kiddo." Changsub answered.

"Eh? I am always smiling, so what's the difference of smiling that bright?" he answered again.

"Well, most times, the Yook Sungjae we know acts like an attention-." Hyunsik said.

"And like an idiot." Peniel added, smirking. "Idiotic to be exact."

"Yah! What on earth are you guys trying to tell?" Sungjae bursts.

"Nothing." they all replied in unison before shifting their attentions back to the previous things they are doing. Of course, one member was still worried, and that was the second youngest... Jung Ilhoon. He was beside the maknae, looking at him and trying to observe any changes in his expressions, gestures and so on. Of course, with Ilhoon staring at him, Sungjae can't help but to feel weird and finally, ask.

"What's wrong, Ilhoon-hyung?" Sungjae asked. 

"What?" Ilhoon blinked multiple times, tilting his head.

"You're... staring at me."

"Am I?"

"Yes...?"

"Oh, sorry. I guess I am quite uneasy with you not smiling like an idiot." Ilhoon laughed.

"... Is that supposed to be taken as a sarcastic statement or a compliment?" Sungjae asked naively, making Ilhoon burst into laughter. "What? What's wrong?"

"N-nothing." Ilhoon chuckled before ruffling the other's hair. "C'mon, something's bothering you, dude. Tell us."

"That's right." Peniel butted in, sitting nearer the two. "We're a family. We're brothers, and one's problem is everyone's problem. C'mon, Sungjae, tell us."

"Yeah. Tell us." Changsub added.

Soon, everyone was gathered around Sungjae, so of course, the maknae had no choice but to spit out the reason of his "un-brightly" smile. "Arraseo, arraseo, I'm telling it, okay?" Sungjae pouted, seeing he's loosing already.

"Finally!" the other six members clapped, attentive in listening to Sungjae's reason.

"You see... I'm just worried." the maknae announced.

"About?" Hyunsik blinked.

"Kyungmi."

"Why? What happened?" Peniel asked.

"She.. got wounded lately." Sungjae softly said.

"MWO!? Waeyo?" everyone cried.

"She was cut by a broken piece of a dish that she accidentally hit. Unfortunately, it was a three-inches long wound and bled severely." Sungjae frowned.

"Ouch. Well, is she okay now though?" Ilhoon worriedly asked.

"She said she can tend herself so I made my way off. Plus, she looked really tired and me there would probably tire her more. I felt bad." 

"What you did is okay, Sungjae. You care for her, so, yeah, you get what I mean, right?" Eunkwang smiled, patting the maknae's shoulder.

"Nae, hyung." Sungjae smiled.

Soon, time passed and still, none were struck by drowsiness. Everyone stayed up late, still wide awake and not even a glimpse of sleepiness was seen! They were busy with their own stuff.

Sungjae, meanwhile, was busy looking at some pictures he kept in his Ipad. Of course, the persons beside him, namely Ilhoon and Peniel, saw them and nudged the maknae while smiling. "I see you're reminiscing our vacation, eh?" Peniel smiled.

"Ah, nae. I am." Sungjae smiled, nodding.

"That picture of us really looks cool." Ilhoon said, pointing at a picture on the right side of the gadget. Being a sensitive gadget it is, when Sungjae's finger accidentally touched a picture, it popped out, turning out to be a picture of him and Kyungmi, smiling and making cute, couple-like poses.

"D'aw, you two look cute there!" Minhyuk said, popping out behind the three members of the maknae-line, almost giving them a heart attack.

"Hyung!" the three wailed, clutching their chests.

"You nearly gave us a heart attack." Peniel whined.

"Sorry~" he laughed. "You and Kyungmi look cute together. I understand that you two are best friends, and I am happy that you are, but I can't help but see you two as a cute couple too!"

"I agree with that!" Hyunsik said, raising his hand.

"Me too!" Eunkwang added.

"Aish, we're just best friends and sibling-likes, nothing else!" Sungjae cried, a hint of blush painting his face.

"Then why is little Sungjae blushing?" Changsub teased, poking the maknae's marshmallow-like cheeks while smirking like an idiot.

"I-I am!?" Sungjae gasped, covering his face with his hands. "N-no I'm not!"

"Dude, you're as red as a tomato already." Eunkwang laughed.

"I am?"

"Yup."

"... I'm not."

There, realization come up.

"Wait! Don't tell me you really...?!" Ilhoon gasped.

"N-no!" Sungjae defended.

"You really...?!"

"Hyung, don't you dare!"

"Omona..."

"ILHOON-HYUNG!!!"

"YOU LIKE KYUNGMI, DON'T YOU?!"

"AISH, YOU PIECE OF CRAP, SHUT YOUR BIG, DARN MOUTH FOR PETE'S SAKE!!!" Sungjae exclaimed as he pushed Ilhoon off the couch, making him land on the carpet.

"Ow, you didn't need to push me." Ilhoon sighed, rubbing his back in hopes of easing the pain and rubbing it away off his back.

"Wait, if Sungjae reacts like that, he must be liking Kyungmi for real!" Peniel gasped in shock.

"True." Hyunsik nodded in agreement.

"No-! It's a misunderstanding, hyungs!!!" Sungjae cried out, blushing redder and redder, if he still can though. His face is now painted in a bright scarlet color, and chances of it being redder is far seen. "I don't-!"

"Aigoo, maknae in love!" Minhyuk clapped happily. "C'mon, you are, aren't 'cha?"

"NO!" Sungjae bursts out before standing up straight and head to his room. Of course, everyone was just sent laughing to their hearts' content. The maknae simply plopped down his bed, trying to cover his red-colored face with pillows.

Minutes passed and the door creeks. The other six members enter the room, trying to find Sungjae in the dim-lit room. The room was pitch black and to their disappointment, Sungjae hid himself under the sheets to avoid being seen. "Yah, Sungjae-ah, c'mon, come outtta there, we're sorry." Eunkwang apologized. "I know the teases went overboard, so, c'mon, can you just show yourself?"

"We won't tease you, don't worry." Changsub added. "Please? Sungjae-ah."

Hearing that the hyungs' apologies were sincere, Sungjae moved under the sheets and sat straight up, letting his hyungs see him. Upon seeing him, Peniel hit the lights open, lighting up the dimly lit room. "There he is." Peniel said, finally seeing their tall maknae.

"We're really sorry about lately, dude. No hard feelings, right?" Hyunsik asked, earning a nod from Sungjae. "Aw, thank you for forgiving us!" he cried, hugging the maknae.

"Yah, yah! Get off!" Sungjae cried upon seeing his hyung hug him. "HYUNG!!! Off!"

"Oh, mianhe~"

"So, okay, we won't tease you anymore, but can we know who you're liking?" Minhyun softly asked as he sat beside the maknae. "We promise not to tease you."

"You do?" Sungjae asked, his voice sounding too innocent as if he was a little child.

"Yup." he smiled, ruffling the boy's hair. 

"Well, you already did say her name." Sungjae softly said, his head lowered for his hyungs not to see his tomato-red face.

"Wait, it's really Kyungmi?" Ilhoon gasped.

"Y-yeah." the tall maknae nods as a reply.

"Woah..." they all said in unison, making Sungjae tilt his head in confusion.

"What's with that reaction? Is she not deserving for me to like?" Sungjae asked, raising a brow at them. "What, because she's boyish and all?"

"Aniyo, that's not the reason." Peniel smiled.

"Your taste for girls are really amazing, Sungjae-ah!" Eunkwang smiled, patting the younger's back as he chuckled a bit. 

"W-wae?" the maknae asked.

"Uh, hello? Kyungmi's a beautiful lassie, in and out. Sure, she might be a bit boyish and er... brusque, but she's the perfect lady for every boy... who doesn't judge others easily. She's perfect for you, dude! Get her!"

"Eh.. I don't know." Sungjae frowned. "We grew up as siblings and are best friends, and liking someone you grew up with to see as a 'sister' is kinda weird, don't you think? It's kinda taboo."

"What's weird about that?" Hyunsik asked. 

"We grew up as siblings." Sungjae answered.

"Dude, take note that you aren't blood siblings." Minhyuk reminded. "As far as as I remember, she was given to your family's care when her mother flew abroad, right?"

"Yes?"

"And that she grew up with you and your parents and noona for years that you treat her as a sibling, right?"

"Yes."

"Okay, let me highlight something there, dude. TREAT her as a sibling. Not see her as a sibling, but treat her as a sibling."

"... What difference does that make?"

"Let me explain." Eunkwang said. "When you treat someone as a sibling, you just act as if you are siblings but see her as a sibling, it means that you act and pretend to be siblings when in fact you aren't. The difference is little, but knowing you, you understand, right?" 

"Mhm. I do understand, hyung." Sungjae smiled. 

"Therefore, I conclude that you can fall in love with her." Ilhoon added, crossing his arms. "I mean, there are three valid reasons. First, you two are cute together. Second, you know every inch of each other. Third, you like her, so why still stand there and endure being sibling-like best friends? Go get her!"

"Yeah? Well, there are three problems along with that too." Sungjae countered. "First, we're sibling-like best friends. Second, our standing will affect her and most likely, Melodies will hate and black mail her. Third. Return of feelings are unsure." 

"Look, if you focus with your problems more, you aren't gonna achieve anything." Peniel said. "If I were you, I'm making a move."

"I can't." Sungjae frowned, lowering his head. "I just can't."

"But, Sungjae~!" everyone frowned, flailing their arms like kids. "You look cute together!! SuMi couple now!!!"

"Aish, kids, respect his decision now, would you?" Eunkwang sighed. "It's Sungjae's life so it's his right to choose which path to take. The most we can do to help our dear maknae is to support him at all costs and give him advices as hyungs."

"Eunkwang-hyung..." Sungjae smiled as he gave the leader a light punch on the shoulder. "Thanks."

"No problem." the blonde leader smiled before ruffling the maknae's hair. "We're your hyungs. Brothers and a family, and if one's at doubt, don't hesitate to say and ask for our advices and help." 

"I'll remember that, hyung." he smiled.

"Just be happy with whatever you do. Remember that." Changsub smiled before patting the youngest's shoulder.

"I will. Don't worry." Sungjae nodded.

There, the seven headed to bed, crawling onto their own beds and tucking themselves in blankets. As the eldest, Eunkwang was responsible in checking and locking all doors and turning off all light sources in the house before going to sleep. The day ended just like that, with Sungjae's feelings revealed to his fellow BtoB members.