Ch 8* - Surprises

Love Me

Seungho stirred as he felt familiar lips press against his.

There was that feeling again… as if someone was kissing him tenderly.  He wasn’t sure if it was remnants of a dream he could never remember but every so often, he’d feel the sensation of soft lips on his own.  The… whatever it was, had been recurring for over a month now.  Each time, Seungho would awake in the morning with a sense of curiosity.

He’d often wondered if it was his memory of Dara… of when they were still together.  They had shared tender kisses then, not unlike the ones he’d imagined every morning.

Except… it wasn’t an imagination.

Seungho stared, shocked and wide eyed at the equally surprised Joon hovering just inches from his own face.

Joon sat up quickly, putting distance between the two of them.  His eyes fell as he sat on his knees, clutching the phone that Seungho had given him the night before.

Seungho also sat up, his heart racing in his chest.  What the hell just happened?  What was Joon doing being so close to his face?  It couldn’t be…

“Wh… What-?” Seungho stuttered, unsure of how to ask.  Hey Joon, have you been kissing me every morning for the past month?  The question sounded erted in his mind; he could hardly imagine what it would sound like when spoken aloud.  Unsure of what to say, Seungho waited for his heart to slow down.

“I’m… sorry,” Joon murmured before Seungho could think of anything to say.  Joon stared at his hands, remorse extremely evident on his face.

Sorry?  Sorry for what?  Seungho stared at his slouched figure.  It wasn’t as if he had never contemplated the idea that it was Joon kissing him… he just didn’t think it was even close to being true.  But… why would Joon kiss him?  He couldn’t possibly have found out about Seungho’s feelings… could he?  Seungho’s mind raced with excuses at the thought of being discovered.  He couldn’t have been… could he?  Even so, it didn’t make sense.  Unless Joon…

“Why-” Seungho began but was interrupted as Joon’s alarm went off, making the both of them jump.

Turning around, Joon quickly turned it off.  Using the interruption as an escape, he mumbled something about getting ready before grabbing something from the closet and rushing out into the bathroom.  Stunned at Joon’s sudden escape, Seungho sat in bed and stared at the closed bedroom door.  He heard stumbling outside followed by a quick click of the front door.

Sitting in bed by himself, Seungho ran a hand through his messed up hair and blinked.  What the hell just happened?


As Joon clambered onto the bus, his mind was a jumbled mess.

He’d finally been caught… he always had a feeling he would be.  It was only a matter of time before one of his kisses would stir Seungho… So why did he continue to do it? 

Joon frowned as he leaned his head against the window.  He knew he was going to get caught one day… so why did he keep stealing kisses in the morning?  Did he want to get caught?  But that wouldn’t make sense… would it? 

Fiddling with the phone in his hands, Joon flipped to the pictures folder he’d created just that morning.  A single picture was taken and saved.  As Joon stared at the picture of Seungho’s sleeping face, he felt his heart flutter.  Maybe… he wanted to get caught.  Now that he was… maybe, just maybe, things would change? 

Change how?  Would Seungho suddenly realize he’s madly in love with Joon and they’d live happily ever after?  That was unlikely… Joon closed his eyes and sighed as his heart sank once again. 

Seungho’s reaction… had not been good.  His face was one of complete shock and… what?  Disgust?  No, that wasn’t quite it.  It was almost as if he was afraid.  Was he worried that Joon would eventually attack him in his sleep?  Or was he worried about their living arrangements now that Joon had developed strange feelings?  Whatever it was, it was clear Seungho was upset.  And who wouldn’t be?  To wake up with someone leaning over you like that…

Getting off the bus with heavy footsteps, Joon pushed the door open to KTA’s front entrance.  Walking up to the front desk, he bowed briefly to the receptionist before taking out his badge.

“Good morning,” the receptionist said cheerily, oblivious to Joon’s mood.

“Good morning,” Joon replied as he beeped in.

“Mun-bujangnim would like to see you in his office as soon as possible,” she said, flashing him a smile.

“Thanks,” Joon said, nodding.  It was likely regarding the Critique photo shoot that was taking place tomorrow.

Walking down the hall, Joon paused in front of Mun Hyunsik’s door and knocked. 

“Come in,” came his muffled voice. 

Slowly, Joon pushed open the door and peeked inside.  Bowing, he said, “Hyung…”

“Oh, come in,” he said, waving him in, his expression a bit odd.

Hesitantly, Joon stepped inside.  He had only ever been to Hyunsik’s office once since his entry into KTA… and that wasn’t a great meeting.  He’d felt under the weather and was scolded for not keeping up with the program.  He was sent home for the day and only found out later from other sources that he’d been sent home because he’d looked too sick to continue with practice.  Although Hyunsik had meant well by allowing Joon to rest, his scolding had really intimidated Joon at the time.  Walking into the office now, Joon could feel the same dread he’d felt that day.

He was surprised, however, when he spotted another gentleman sitting in the room.  He was dressed in a very fine suit and was quite round at the waist.  He had a greying beard and streaks of the same colour scattered throughout his greased back hair.  He stood as Joon walked in and gave Joon a quick once-over.  A small ‘tsk’ escaped his mouth as he frowned.

“Kim-sajangnim, this is the boy I was talking about,” Hyunsik said to the gentleman, “Lee Joon.”  He turned to Joon and his brows twitched before he said, “This is Kim Dongmin-sajangnim, the affiliate and liaison between KTA and the Lee-Song group.”

Joon bowed deeply, feeling extremely intimidated.  Kim Dongmin’s expression was one of distaste and clear disapproval.

“This… is Lee Joon?” he said, picking up a folder and flipping through it.  “He looks different from these photos,” he said, pointing at a particular photo.  They were Joon’s original promotional shots that were distributed to KTA clients, including Critique.

“Ah, yes,” Hyunsik said, “He cleans up quite well.”  He smiled but Joon could tell Hyunsik was annoyed by the snap judgement Kim Dongmin just made.

Kim Dongmin closed the folder and walked closer, taking in all of Joon’s features.  His eyes paused at the beauty mark on Joon’s neck and his eyes widened briefly before he composed himself.  He walked closer to Joon and studied his face.  A fleeting moment of recognition passed through his expression before it was quickly replaced by confusion.

“Have…” he said slowly, still scrutinizing Joon’s face, “Have we met before?”

Joon looked up in surprise.  “I don’t… think so,” Joon said, now studying Kim Dongmin’s face.  He didn’t seem familiar at all.  Was it possible he had frequented the café where Joon used to work?  He couldn’t seem to recall his face.

“Now, Joon,” Hyunsik said, patting Joon’s shoulder with enough force to shake him, “It’s rude to stare.”  He gave Joon a pointed look before flashing a fake smile at Kim Dongmin.  “Kim-sajangnim, will we be seeing you at tomorrow’s photo shoot?”

Snapping out of his scrutiny, Kim Dongmin turned to Hyunsik and shook his head.  “No,” he said, also smiling fakely, “I just wanted to drop by and congratulate you and young Joon here on the contract with Critique.  They are quite the international brand and a long-time partner with the Lee-Song group.”

“Well, we’re certainly grateful for your visit,” Hyunsik said, “And our doors are open any time.”  He walked to the door with Kim Dongmin as he prepared to leave.

“My best regards to your director,” Kim Dongmin said.  With one last puzzled look at Joon, he left the office.

Letting out an exasperated sigh, Hyunsik’s face quickly dropped the fake smiles and scowled.  “What a treat,” he muttered sarcastically, “Good for nothing-”  He stopped abruptly and glared at Joon.  “And look at you; dressed like the homeless,” he said, “I’m surprised that just let it slide like that.”

“Let what slide?” Joon murmured, looking guiltily at him.  He’d been in such a rush to leave that morning that he didn’t even consider what clothes to wear.  He justed wanted to put as much distance between him and Seungho as he could.

“Lee-Song and KTA have a partnership business in Korea.  Kim Dongmin,” Hyunsik said, sitting down on the couch with a heave, “Is the Lee-Song representative that KTA has to deal with every now and then.  He really has no involvement in KTA’s activities but likes to pretend he does.  He comes here about two or three times a year and throws his weight around.”

“Lee-Song?” Joon asked, taking the cup of tea that Hyunsik offered him.  Why did that name sound familiar?

“Word got out that a newbie landed a job with the almighty Critique,” Hyunsik grinned proudly, “So the big fish at Lee-Song thought they’d send someone out to see what this newbie looked like.”  His grin quickly faded, replaced by the same scowl.  “And then the newbie shows up in hobo clothes and gets looked down on,” he muttered, drinking his own tea. 

“Ah,” Joon said sheepishly, “Sorry hyung…”

Hyunsik dismissed his apology and asked, “By the way, he seems to know you?”

“I don’t know from where,” Joon said honestly, “I’ve never seen him before.”

“Well whatever,” Hyunsik said, “He’s a bit weird sometimes.  I wouldn’t be surprised if he was on something.”  Taking the undrunk tea from Joon’s hands, he dismissed him with a wave.

Bowing and taking his leave, Joon closed the office door behind him.  He frowned as he walked into the change rooms. 

Lee-Song… why was that name so familiar?


Joon stretched as he clambered off the bus.  It was nearly midnight again and he’d only just arrived home.  His body was sore as usual and he was so exhausted. 

Thoughts of Seungho and Lee-Song occupied his mind all day, each fighting for their own first place.  Now that he was nearing home, Joon’s mind was completely filled with thoughts of Seungho.

How should he face Seungho?  Should he pretend as if nothing happened that morning?  Or drop to his knees and apologize?  What if Seungho got really mad and kicked him out?  Where would he stay?

Joon tripped slightly as he stepped on his own untied shoelace.  Sighing, he kneeled down and glared at his shoes.  Tying them up, he took a moment to clear his head. 

He was thinking too much.  Maybe he was over exaggerating Seungho’s reaction that morning.  After all, he hadn’t gotten angry right away… and Seungho probably wouldn’t kick him out knowing he had nowhere to go.  The Seungho that Joon loved wasn’t like that…

Joon paused.  Was it love?  Was that what he felt for Seungho?  What was love anyway?  And was it always exactly like it was described in books?  Shaking his head, Joon tried to clear his mind.  Standing up from his crouched position, he winced as muscle pain spread through his thighs and calves.  Taking a deep breath, he began walking slowly towards the front door of his building.  Every step he took, his muscles screamed with pain.  He sighed in relief as he neared the front door.  The front building lights had gone out three weeks ago and the landlord still hadn’t replaced the bulb.

“Excuse me,” someone called behind him, interrupting his thoughts.

Joon turned, jumping slightly.  He hadn’t heard a second person come up behind him at all.  But then again… he hadn’t heard much of anything throughout the entire day.  His thoughts were so loud that they blocked out all other sounds.

A tall young man walked towards him, his hands holding something… Joon gasped as he realized that the young man was holding his phone.  He must’ve dropped it just now when he was tying his shoelaces!

“You dropped this,” the young man said softly, holding the phone out for Joon.

“Thank you very much,” Joon said, gratefully accepting the phone from him, “I didn’t even realize…”  He looked up at the young man and was slightly taken aback.  In the darkness of the night, it was difficult to tell the features of his face.  He also had his hood up on his sweater so his hair was completely hidden.  The young man smirked slightly and tucked his hands in his jean pockets.  As Joon tried to make out his features, the back of his mind sent out recognition bells.  Where had he seen that smirk before?

“Oh no worries,” the young man said, rocking on his heels, “Glad I could help.”  He paused, glancing up at the apartment building.  After a brief moment, he turned to Joon and said quietly, “He’s quite handsome.”

“Eh?” Joon said, puzzled by the sudden statement.

“Good night,” the young man called as he his heels.  He walked briskly back down the street and turned the corner. 

Joon stood rooted to the spot, surprised by what just happened.  He could hardly believe he almost lost his treasured phone.  It was such a precious thing to him… he didn’t know what he would do if he lost it.  Thank goodness someone had picked it up for him.

Joon turned and entered the building. 

That young man though… he looked awfully familiar.  As Joon climbed into the elevator, he pinched the bridge of his nose.  Rather than worrying about that, he should think about how he was going to face Seungho.

As the elevator door opened on the third floor, Joon took a deep breath and pulled out his keys.


Seungho had considered pretending he was asleep.  He thought about pretending as if nothing had happened.  He even thought about staying on campus in one of the many couches in the libraries.  But he knew that nothing would be resolved if he ran away from the problem.

He was still having a hard time convincing himself that there was even a problem.  If things were as he’d assumed, then Joon also had intimate feelings for him… which was great right?  Seungho liked Joon… Joon liked Seungho… happily ever after, right?

Seungho sighed as he pinched the bridge of his nose.  If only things were that simple.  He glanced at the clock.  It was nearly midnight and there was still no sign of Joon.  Although he usually didn’t come home until late, Seungho still couldn’t help feeling worried. 

He glanced at his phone.  He could call Joon… but wouldn’t that be awkward?  He debated with himself as he scrolled through his phone contacts.  He’d gotten Joon a phone so he could be called at any time… so why was he suddenly shy about calling him?  If only this morning hadn’t happened, he would easily dial the number.  Right?

Deciding that he was getting nowhere, Seungho opened the texting application and hovered his thumbs over the keyboard.  Texting… wasn’t too awkward right?  He considered what he should say.  Where are you?  Did you leave yet?  Are you on the bus?  Sighing, Seungho settled for the simplest question.  Clacking away, he typed [Are you on your way home?] and hit send.

Setting his phone aside, he looked at his computer screen and tried to return to his assigned readings for class.  Vaguely, he wondered if Joon even knew how to send out text messages.  He jumped in surprise as his phone buzzed with a response.  Placing a hand over his heart, he grabbed the phone and opened the text message.

[Yes…]

Seungho stared at the word.  Yes… was all he got.  Scratching his head, Seungho sighed in exasperation.  It was so like Joon to answer with a short response.  Seungho stared at his screen as he contemplated whether or not to respond.  What else could he say to avoid such an awkward ending? 

Before he could make up his mind, his phone buzzed again in his hands and made him jump in his seat.

[Hyung… I’m sorry.]

Seungho felt his breath hitch as he read the text.  Joon was apologizing again.  He had to know for sure… Swallowing nervously, Seungho replied, [For this morning? Why?  Did you do something bad?]

Seungho stared at his phone, waiting for the response with a racing heart.  He had to find out for sure if Joon had kissed him.  Although he was almost certain, he had to know for sure…

[I kissed you… I’m sorry.  Are you mad?]

Seungho couldn’t help the small chuckle that rose up in his chest.  The message was… so cute.  And what was this that he felt?  Relief that it wasn’t his imagination?  Biting his lip, Seungho replied, [No… but why did you do it?]  He needed to confirm the reason behind the kiss.  If it was what he thought it was…

Seungho waited impatiently, staring at his screen.  Joon was taking longer to respond this time around.  He was, no doubt, fidgeting and trying to come up with a plausible answer.  Something along the lines that he was trying to save Seungho from choking in his sleep… or that he was just playing a prank. 

The phone buzzed again with a response and Seungho nervously pulled up the text.  The answer, however, wasn’t along the lines of what he thought at all.

[I think I love you.]

Seungho nearly dropped the phone.  He stared at the words, his heart in his throat.  Although he knew Joon didn’t twist his words, he had never expected him to be so blunt.  The words jumped out of the screen at him and seared itself into his eyes. 

Seungho felt lightheaded.  Joon loved him… or at least he thought he did.  Seungho felt himself shiver internally as he processed the news.  He felt… blank.  His heart was racing at a mile a minute but there wasn’t any relief or anger or upset… Instead, he was overcome with a need to see Joon right away.  He wanted to see the boy’s face.  He needed to hear Joon say the words he’d typed…

Taking a deep breath, Seungho dialed Joon’s number.  He couldn’t wait for Joon to come home so the phone would have to do.

He jumped however, when he heard a shrill cellphone ringtone from just outside his front door.  He heard fumbling noises and a muffled yelp before the ring was silenced.  On his cellphone, the call was disconnected.

Unable to help the chuckle that bubbled up inside of him, Seungho felt himself slowly relax.  Getting up out of his seat, he shuffled to the front door and pulled it open.  In the doorway stood an extremely embarrassed Joon, who was blushing from the neck up.  He hung his head and gripped his phone tightly in his hands.

“You coming in or what?” Seungho said, stepping aside with a grin on his face. 

Joon nodded, still not looking up.  He shuffled inside and kicked off his shoes.  He stood in the doorway and faced Seungho with his head bowed.

“I’m sorry,” he murmured softly.

Sighing, Seungho closed the door.  He stood there, staring at Joon.  How did he feel now that he saw Joon?  “This…” Seungho said, holding out his cellphone with Joon’s confession clearly displayed, “Is this real?”

Joon nodded timidly, his ears burning red.  His hands shook as they clutched his phone as if he was holding on for dear life.  “I…” he whispered, “I think I love you, hyung.”  He said it with such an upsetting and whimpering voice that Seungho couldn’t help but laugh.  Joon looked up with horror in his eyes.  He turned quickly and made a break for the washroom, hiding his face in embarrassment.

“No,” Seungho said quickly, “I didn’t mean-” He grabbed Joon’s arm to stop him.

“I’m sorry,” Joon said louder this time, trying to squirm out of Seungho’s hold, “I must disgust you right?”

“No,” Seungho repeated, more firmly this time, “I didn’t mean to laugh-”

“Please,” Joon murmured, pulling on his arm, “I’m sorry.”  The last part of the word escaped his lips with a small sob.

Seungho’s heart thumped against his chest as he tried to keep Joon from running into the bathroom and locking the door behind him.  How could he express his current feelings?  And what was he feeling exactly?  He felt a wild mixture of happiness, surprise, concern, and amusement.  How was he supposed to explain that?

“Joon-ah,” he began, at a loss for words.  Joon paused in his squirming and hung his head.  As Seungho looked at his crestfallen face, he figured out the only way to make Joon understand.

With a small tug, Seungho pulled Joon into his embrace and pressed their lips together.


Author's notes:

bujang-nim - section chief (this is probably the wrong term for the receptionist to call Hyunsik but he IS pretty high up in the executive food chain)

sajang-nim - president or CEO (again, not sure but don't care enough to do extensive research haha)

Another long- chapter!  Didn't expect it... and don't get used to it!  Usually my chapters are about 2500 words... ch 7 and 8 were both around the 3500!