Ch 18* - Dawn

Love Me

It had started to rain.  As Joon sat underneath the slide in the park, the rain drizzled down from the sky and mirrored his tears. 

He huddled his knees to his chest and buried his face in his arms as sobs wracked his body.  He didn’t remember ever feeling this heartbroken before.  Not when Jang Daeho first betrayed him and not even when he’d found out about Dara’s accident.  And while those things had been painful, they weren’t even close to the anguish he felt in his heart now.

How did things become so… unfixable?  Was what they’d done three weeks ago so wrong that it would ruin their relationship to such a breaking point?  This was the first time they had fought.  Sure they’d bickered, but they had never actually gotten this upset before.

Joon wiped his face on his sleeve as he sniffled.  His breaths came in uneven gasps as his body heaved to keep up with his sobs.  His head had started hurting shortly after he started crying.  Now, nearly an hour later, his head was throbbing and his eyes were uncomfortably puffy. 

Taking in deep breaths, Joon tried to calm himself.  He couldn’t stay out here all night; he was already starting to get wet from the water seeping through the slide.  The cold November air bit down on his arms and feet, making him shiver. 

Joon pulled out his phone and glanced at the clock; it was nearly midnight.  He didn’t want to go back.  He didn’t want to think about what else would happen if he went back.  And while he didn’t hate Seungho for what he’d said, he hated the direction that their conversation had gone.  He knew Seungho said those things out of worry… but it didn’t make them hurt any less.  Joon didn’t want to believe that Seungho thought he was just a booty call to people. 

Calmer, he scrolled through his contacts to see if there was anyone he could call.  He could call Hyunsik… he’d come pick Joon up for sure and drive him back to the KTA dorms.  But if Seungho found out, it would mean more trouble for their already broken relationship.  He could also call Minha, the lady that had become one of his stylists.  She was so nice to him… but he didn’t really know her well enough to call her at such a late hour. 

As Joon reached ‘J’, he paused on Hyunwoo’s name.  He could call Hyunwoo.  Seungho didn’t know him, and he knew him well enough to know that he would come when Joon needed him.  He was such a good boy; Joon knew he’d do anything to help.

Making up his mind, he dialed Hyunwoo’s number and waited.  He tried to clear his voice before he heard the soft click of the other side.

“Hello?  Joon-hyung,” Hyunwoo said on the other end, his voice slightly concerned, “What’s up?  You’re calling rather late… is everything okay?”

“Mmn,” Joon said softly, “Hyunwoo-yah… can… can you do me a favour?”  He took a deep breath before he said, “I need a place to stay tonight… can I stay over at your place?”  He felt terrible for imposing on Hyunwoo but he really couldn’t stand the thought of going back home to an angry Seungho.  He was met with silence on the other end.  Surprised and suddenly embarrassed, Joon backtracked quickly and said, “If-If you can’t, it’s fine-”

“No it’s fine,” Hyunwoo replied, “Where are you?”

Joon sighed in relief and leaned his head against the slide.  “I’m at Grand Park…” he said.

“Okay, I’ll be there in a few minutes,” Hyunwoo replied, “Hang tight, okay hyung?”

Joon nodded and said, “Mmn.  Thank you, Hyunwoo-yah.”  He hung up the phone and closed his eyes.  He listened to the soft drizzle of the rain against the slide and wondered what to do next.  How would he explain himself to Hyunwoo, who would likely ask him questions?  And what about tomorrow?  He had a day off… something he also hadn’t told Seungho.  Should he go home then and have a good long talk with him?  There didn’t seem to be any other way of resolving this.

As Joon got lost in his thoughts, the soft rumbling of a vehicle approached the park followed by bright headlights.  Joon squinted as someone came running into the park near the slides, splashing water up as they came.  He looked up and saw Hyunwoo standing there holding an umbrella, looking around for him. 

Joon sighed in relief as Hyunwoo finally spotted him and ran over.

“Hyung!  What are you doing out here,” Hyunwoo asked, pulling Joon close to him underneath the umbrella, “It’s freezing!”

“Thanks for coming,” Joon murmured as they made their way to the car, “I didn’t know who else to call.”

“I’m glad you called,” Hyunwoo replied as they both entered the car.  He shook off the umbrella and threw it in the back.  Starting up the engine, he the heat and directed it towards Joon.  “I’m really glad you called,” he murmured as he backed out of the spot.

“I’m sorry for calling so late,” Joon said softly, rubbing his eyes uncomfortably

“Something must’ve happened,” Hyunwoo said, glancing at him as he drove, “Do you want to talk about it?”

Joon shook his head and looked at his hands.  “It… It’s not something I should bore you with,” Joon said softly, “I’m just thankful you came.”

Hyunwoo nodded and said, “I’d rather you tell me than bottle it up.  That’s what I’m here for.”

Joon glanced at him and bit his lip.  Should he talk to him about it?  Maybe… maybe he would feel better.  But he didn’t want to say too much and potentially get Seungho in trouble.  Especially considering Hyunwoo was striving to be a journalist.  It wasn’t that he didn’t trust him; he just wanted to be careful.

“If… if the person you loved” Joon started, trying to put Seungho, Dara, and his own situation into a hypothetical scenario, “Gave their heart to someone else a long time ago but still had… a physical relationship with you, what should you do?”  Joon thought of Seungho’s relationship with Dara; he thought of his own physical relationship with Seungho...

When all Joon received was silence, he glanced at Hyunwoo.  He was surprised to see a steely expression on the young man’s face.  His hands gripped the steering wheel so tightly that his knuckles had turned white.

“Hyun… Hyunwoo-yah?” Joon murmured.

“If the person I loved was already in a relationship with someone else,” Hyunwoo said suddenly, relaxing his expression, “I’d stay far away.  I would never have gotten into a physical relationship with that person because that is wrong.”

Joon’s eyes widened as Hyunwoo turned to him with a smile.  Guilt riddled his heart as he turned away.  He… he should never have confessed to Seungho.  He knew of Seungho’s romantic relationship with Dara; he knew that they still harboured feelings for each other.  What he did… it was wrong.  Hyunwoo was right.  What Joon did… it was wrong.

“Thanks for reminding me,” Hyunwoo said, interrupting Joon’s thoughts, “I almost forgot.”  He leaned back and sighed, his expression a bit strange.

“Forgot what?” Joon asked.

“Let’s grab something warm to drink before we go,” Hyunwoo said as he pulled into a nearby coffee shop, “It’s going to be cold.”

Puzzled, Joon nodded and followed him out of the car and into the shop.  The warmth surrounded him instantly.  Sighing, he walked up to the counter with Hyunwoo but was stopped.

“I’ll get the drinks,” Hyunwoo said, flashing him a smile, “You grab the seats by the fireplace.”  He nodded towards the seats.  “They’ll get taken in a flash if we’re not quick,” he said.

Joon nodded and walked over to the fireplace.  Settling down on the couch, he sighed and rubbed his eyes again.  His head was still throbbing but at least he felt calmer now.  Rather than being upset, he just felt exhausted.  He was tired of this broken relationship with Seungho.  He’d thought moving out would help fix things; he had never expected Seungho to get so upset.  Whatever the reason for his anger, Joon would try and apologize again tomorrow.  He no longer cared how things get fixed; he just wanted it fixed.  He’d made up his mind; he’ll do whatever Seungho wanted.  He just… didn’t want to fight anymore.

“Here you go,” Hyunwoo said as he settled down on a nearby couch and handed him a cup, “Hot chocolate.  Perfect for a winter day.”

“Thanks,” Joon said softly as he accepted the drink.  The warmth seeped into his hands as he cradled it.  “You…” he said, glancing at Hyunwoo, “About what I said before… you said you’d stay away.  But… what if you couldn’t?”  He sipped the chocolate and sighed.  “What if you just couldn’t stay away?” he asked softly.

Hyunwoo drank his own drink and leaned back into the couch.  “Then I’d deserve whatever punishment that came my way,” he said simply, looking at Joon with a blank expression, “I’d deserve hell for breaking up a beautiful relationship.”

“Yeah…” Joon murmured, his gaze falling as he felt another rush of guilt.  He didn’t blame Hyunwoo for being harsh; he had no idea Joon was talking about himself.  And it was true what he’d said.  And although Joon hadn’t been the one to break up Seungho and Dara’s relationship, he did interfere in the possibility of the two getting back together when Dara woke up.  And for that, he surely deserved punishment.

“Hurry and finish it while it’s hot,” Hyunwoo said, smiling, “We need to get going soon.”

Joon nodded and gulped down the drink.  Warmth filled his stomach, warming him from the inside out.  Sighing, he looked at Hyunwoo and said, “I’m sorry to make you come all this way.  Is your place far?”

Hyunwoo shrugged as he tossed back the last of his drink, “We don’t have too far to go.”

Joon finished off his drink and stood, “Then let’s go.”

Hyunwoo stood as well and stretched.  “Good idea,” he said.  As the two got back into the car, Hyunwoo said softly, “You can nap in the car.”

“I’m fine,” Joon said as he buckled himself in.  He leaned back and tried to keep his mind clear of unhelpful thoughts.  

Hyunwoo smiled as he backed out of the lot and got back on the road.  He drove in silence, seemingly lost in his own thoughts.

Joon looked out the window as the warm hot chocolate relaxed him.  Funnily enough, he was starting to feel a bit sleepy.  He had gotten up early again that morning to avoid bumping into Seungho.  It had been over eighteen hours since he’d last slept and the fight had certainly taken a toll on him. 

“Maybe… I’ll just nap a bit,” Joon said as his eyelids became heavy, “Wake me up when we get there?”

Hyunwoo glanced in his direction with an odd expression.  “Sweet dreams,” he murmured.

Soon, Joon felt himself drift off into slumber as the lights outside the car disappeared into blackness.


Seungho threw back the last of the beer and crushed the can.  He squinted against the sun as it peaked over the horizon.  He glanced at the clock; it was nearly 7:00 AM.  He groaned as he pinched the bridge of his nose.  

He’d spent the entire night drinking.  And although it helped in mellowing him out, it didn’t help the raging headache he now sported.  And although the pain had dulled a bit, the guilt still stabbed at him with each passing minute.  As he drank himself stupid, the guilt had gotten steadily worse.  It hadn’t helped that Joon stayed out all night without so much as a call or text.

Seungho didn’t blame him; he’d have kicked his own if it were him.  The second those words left his mouth, he’d felt regret.  He knew his suspicious about Mun Hyunsik wasn’t entirely rational.  But given Joon’s history and his naivety, Seungho had felt exceptionally protective of him.  He was constantly worried that the boy would get taken advantage of again.  And while Mun Hyunsik had helped them financially in a moment of crisis, Seungho still didn’t trust his motives.  When Joon had mentioned moving into KTA dorms at Hyunsik’s recommendation… Seungho had lost it.

He’d let his temper and suspicions get the best of him.  He’d let out all of his pent up frustrations on Joon.  And although his intention had been to keep Joon as close as possible, the outcome was Joon’s departure.  And now…

Seungho picked up his phone and dialed Joon’s number for the tenth time that night.  His other calls had gone unanswered; this one was no different.  Sighing, he hung up the phone and tossed it onto the coffee table.  Joon was ignoring him… it was no surprise.  And while it was understandable, Seungho was still worried.  The night was cold in the middle of November; where did Joon stay?  He wasn’t dressed warm enough to stay out at night.  Did he go back to KTA?  There wasn’t really any other place he could go.

Pulling himself up, Seungho dragged himself to the bathroom and the shower.  Undressing, he stepped underneath the hot water and let the warmth seep into his bones.  He leaned on the wall for support as he tried to sober up.

He needed to find Joon.  He needed to apologize, to beg and please until he was forgiven.  And then… he needed to face his own feelings like a man.  He could no longer deny it anymore; he was in love with Joon.  He was so in love that it was suffocating him.  He couldn’t think clearly anymore without thinking about Joon; he hadn’t been able to think clearly for the past month.  If he continued down this road, he would go insane.

So why fight it?  Sure, he’d be labeled as a homoual.  He’d probably get shunned from society and face a lifetime of dirty looks and name-calling.  When his parents found out, they’d probably be heartbroken.  And his friends… other than the few close friends, the rest would probably cut ties with him.  Was all of that worth it?  Was Joon worth it?

Turning off the tap, he leaned his forehead against the wall and laughed.  Although he’d had several cans of beer, his mind was as clear as crystal.  The answer was obviously; yes.  Of course Joon was worth it; he was worth more.  Why was the answer suddenly so easy?  Why couldn’t he have figured this out before?

Grabbing a towel, he dried off and quickly dressed.  He was still terrified of the repercussions; admitting that he loved another man would mean accepting all the judgements the world threw at him.  He knew things would be difficult, more so than they were now.  But after Joon had said he was moving out…

He’d never considered living apart from Joon; the thought had never crossed his mind.  Thinking about it now, it made perfect sense.  Had he really expected to be with Joon forever?  Without ever making up his mind?  At the time, he did.  But when Joon suggested moving out, he was suddenly faced with the reality of losing him.  And because of that, the answer to his problem was obvious.

Slipping on his shoes, Seungho ran out the door to the bus stop.  As he climbed the bus that would take him to KTA headquarters, his felt the stifling air lift from his chest.  His breathing suddenly became easier, his shoulders lighter.  He was finally going to fix things.  He was finally going to make things right.


Joon woke up with a pounding headache.  His head felt groggy as if he’d just woken up after he’d been sleeping for a long time.  He was also terribly cold; he shivered as he shifted in his seat.  Gingerly he opened his eyes and waited for his eyes to adjust.

His eyes widened as he took in his surroundings.  Instead of the inside of Hyunwoo’s car, or even his house, Joon was staring at the insides of a large empty warehouse.  The walls were several meters high and the windows near the top were boarded up completely.  The width and length of the warehouse looked like it could house four or five freight trucks.  In one corner, several skids of wooden crates were stacked on top of each other.

His heart racing, Joon sat up quickly and grimaced as his head spun.  Nausea invaded his senses as he pursed his lips to keep down his dinner.  When the feeling passed, he gasped as he realized he was no longer wearing his winter jacket.  He was dressed in just his sweater and jeans and was currently sitting on what looked like an old mattress.

Confused and terrified, he tried to stand up only to discover his legs were too weak to sustain him.  Collapsing on his knees, another wave of nausea flooded him as he struggled to keep his balance.  His stomach felt queasy and there was no strength in his limbs.

His mind raced as he tried to remember what’d led up to this.  He remembered fighting with Seungho and then running out.  He’d called Hyunwoo and the two went for hot chocolate.  But… what happened after that?  Joon wracked his brain as he tried to remember.  Where was he?  How did he get here?  How long has he been here?  And where was Hyunwoo?

Leaning his head against the cold wall, Joon furrowed his brows as he tried to will away the headache and think.  He wasn’t sure how much time passed while he sat there trying to collect his thoughts.  His phone was gone along with his jacket.  Were they mugged?  Was that why he was missing his things?  But where was Hyunwoo?

He looked up suddenly when he heard voices and murmuring coming from the door.  Struggling to upright himself, he walked a few steps towards the door before collapsing again in a heap.  He looked up as the door opened and four men walked inside.  

They were burly men in what looked like their forties and fifties.  Their large figures stretched their clothing as they strutted inside the warehouse.  They chatted as they walked in, their heavy boots clunking against the cold concrete.

“E-Excuse me,” Joon said as he tried to sit up, “Please… where is this?  I-I’m not sure how I got here.  I was with a friend-”

“Oh Lee Joon-shi,” a familiar voice said from behind the men, “You’re up!”

Joon’s eyes widened as Hyunwoo walked up from behind the men.  The men fell silent as they spotted Joon.  Some smirked as others laughed in delight.  “H-Hyunwoo-yah,” Joon said, both relieved that Hyunwoo was alright and a little unnerved by the situation, “Where are we?  Who… who are these people?”

Hyunwoo glanced back at the men with a surprised face as if he was seeing them for the first time.  He then snapped his fingers and grinned at Joon.  “Oh yes, Joonie-hyung,” he said, gesturing to the men, “Meet my friends.  They’ve been dying to meet you.”

Joon paled as the men laughed and walked towards him.  He felt a familiar terror flood him as they approached him.  He tried to back away as they closed in but his body was unresponsive.  “H-Hyunwoo-yah…” he whimpered as he tried to drag his body back away from the men.

Hyunwoo jumped onto a wooden crate and sat back comfortably.  “Hmm, looks like the drug’s still in effect,” he said nonchalantly, “Guess this stuff’s more potent than my last batch.”

“Drug?” Joon whispered, “You… you drugged me?”  That suddenly explained why he felt so terrible.  

“You’re so incredibly naïve, you know that?” Hyunwoo said lightly as he glanced at Joon, “Or maybe you’re just dumb.”

Joon stared at Hyunwoo as he tried to piece together this puzzle.  Why… why would Hyunwoo do something like that?  And why would he kidnap him and bring him to an empty warehouse?  And these men… what was Hyunwoo planning? 

Joon felt his stomach drop as one man started unbuckling his belt.  Joon struggled to breathe as he felt the familiar sense of panic and fear flood him.  He hadn’t felt this way in months… not since the last time Jang Daeho brutally him in the basement of Dara’s mother’s house.

“Why?” Joon asked, his voice cracking as he stared at Hyunwoo with bewilderment.  “Why are you doing this?”  It didn’t make sense.  He hadn’t known Hyunwoo for very long and for the period that he did, they were great friends.  Joon didn’t remember doing anything to hurt him or for him to do something like this.  It just didn’t make sense.

“Why?” Hyunwoo repeated, his eyes turning harsh and cold.  “I told you didn’t I?” he said softly as he smiled coldly, “That you’d deserve everything that was coming to you.”

Joon struggled to understand.  What was Hyunwoo talking about?  What did their conversation have anything to do with anything?

“I told you that you deserve punishment for breaking up a beautiful relationship,” Hyunwoo said quietly, “And I’m here to deliver it.”


Author's notes:

And you thought you hated my guts LAST chapter.  Nyahahahaha!!  >:)  But at least Seungho figured out his feelings right?  The next few chapters are going to be um... interesting.  If you haven't figured it out already, everything will be revealed in the next chapter!  Yes, yes, you hate me, I know.  <3