Ch 47 - Tiger

Love Me

Joon stood as Song Bangna and Hyunsik walked into the room closely followed by a very nervous Kim Dongmin.  He could tell Hyunsik was angry; the way Hyunsik kept his face carefully pleasant while he rolled his tongue around in his mouth spoke to the fact that he was only barely keeping his sharp words at bay.  Joon knew that as soon as the other two left, he and Cheondoong were in for an intense tongue lashing.

“Omeoni,” Changwook said as his mother approached them, “I’m okay…”  Suddenly, his brave front was gone.  In its place, the ten-year-old Changwook was suddenly solemn as he looked at his mother with a vulnerability a boy could only show his mother.  His lip quivered a bit as he walked over to her.

To Joon’s surprise, the cool and distant step-mother he had expected was nowhere to be seen.  Instead, he watched as Song Bangna’s face relaxed with relief at the sight of her son’s wellbeing.  Walking over to him with hurried steps, she knelt down and placed her hands gently on his shoulders.  Like a worried mother, she looked him up and down before touching his bruised face gently.  Without saying a word, she pulled him into a hug and let out a sigh of relief.  She closed her eyes and tried to compose herself as Changwook wrapped his small arms around her neck and hugged her back.  The two stayed like that for a few moments in silence.

Dongmin quickly hurried over to Soyun and gave her a look-over as well before sighing in his own relief.  He shook his head and took his daughter’s hand in his own.  Clutching it tightly, he waited for Bangna’s directions.

With another sigh, Bangna brushed a thumb over Changwook’s cheek again before she stood and turned to Cheondoong and Joon.

“I heard about what happened,” she said softly, “I don’t know how I can thank you for saving my son’s life…”  She looked from Cheondoong to Joon with a sincerity that truly surprised Joon.

As Joon looked back at her, he couldn’t help but feel a seed of doubt plant in his chest.  Had Jin really told him the truth?  Was this woman… this relieved mother standing before him really the step-mother that had planned to murder him?  Although Joon always knew he wasn’t the best at judging character, there was no doubting the sincerity and relief in her eyes as she looked back at them as if she owed them the world.  Was it really possible for someone to hold so much love for their own child but still be willing to kill someone else’s? 

Cheondoong looked at Joon and waited for him to reply. 

Blinking, Joon took a deep breath and said, “It… anyone would have done the same.”  He glanced at Hyunsik as the latter sighed and nodded.  Joon felt a flutter of hope as Hyunsik’s frown eased a little.  Maybe… things wouldn’t be so bad?

“Even so,” Bangna said, placing a hand on Changwook’s head, “I’m very grateful to the both of you.  I won’t insult you by offering money but please… if there’s anything I can do for you…”  She trailed off as she looked at Dongmin.  He quickly pulled out two business cards and gave one to each of them.  “This number goes to my direct line,” she said, “If there’s anything you need, please let me know.”

Joon looked at the card in his hand.  Although the company name was the same, the card design was quite different from the one he had had in his possession all these years.  Song Bangna’s name was embossed onto the card and directly beneath her name was her title of CEO and owner. 

“Mun-bujangnim,” Bangna said, “Go easy on them.”  With a soft smile, she led the way out of the room.

As Changwook left, he turned and waved at them.  He made a gesture to call him before disappearing around the door.  Dongmin followed them as they left the room.

“I’m sorry for the trouble,” she said as she bowed to Hyunsik, “I’m really sorry, oppa…”

Hyunsik sighed and softened his features.  “I’m just glad you’re okay,” he said.  He nodded as Soyun bowed one last time before making her exit as well.  She closed the door behind her with a soft click and suddenly, the three of them were left alone.

The silence was deafening.  Joon and Cheondoong looked at each other nervously as Hyunsik stood with his back to them.  They waited in silence for a few minutes, each holding their breath.  Joon braced himself as Hyunsik turned around to face them, his face set in a frown. 

“First of all, I’m glad you’re both alive,” Hyunsik said slowly, looking at the two of them.  “What you did was stupid, and careless and you’re damn lucky nobody got killed,” he said quietly, “And second of all… what the ?”  He began pacing the room and shaking his head.

Joon looked at Cheondoong before turning his wary gaze back to the pacing tiger in the den.  He stood silently beside Cheondoong’s bed and waited.

“It’s like…” Hyunsik said, gesturing to the air, “You guys are -magnets.  You just… get into .  Like… where does all this even come from?  Is there some kind of factory that just pumps out?  Or does just fall from the sky and always happen to land on your heads?”  He looked at the ceiling wildly as if he was talking to his imaginary best friend.  “I don’t get it,” he muttered, “I don’t get it…”

Joon had never once heard Hyunsik say the word ‘’ so many times before… he bit his lip as he looked back at Hyunsik; he was pretty sure the question was rhetorical.  And although he desperately wanted to explain that they didn’t have time to think, he didn’t want to risk getting eaten alive. 

“I wish that you would sometimes think about me, you know?” Hyunsik said, looking at them with a sarcastic expression of disbelief, “Like gee... how would Hyunsik feel if got into a fist fight with some kidnappers?”  He placed a finger at his cheek and looked towards the sky in fake wonderment.  “Or hmm… I wonder what Hyunsik would feel if I threw a ing bike at the windshield of an oncoming van?  Gee whiz…” he said, snapping his fingers and stomping his feet dramatically.

Joon nibbled on his lip as he let Hyunsik vent.  It was best to let Hyunsik rant about how he’d felt.  Knowing Hyunsik, he probably already knew the logic behind what Joon did.  Still, the worry Hyunsik had felt had probably been tremendously stressful.

“Did it occur to either of you that the kidnappers might have been armed?” Hyunsik asked, looking at them incredulously, “Or that maybe you could get killed?”  He waited again as if he actually expected an answer.  “What about the fact that throwing a ing bicycle into the windshield of an oncoming van might hurt bystanders?” he asked looking at them as if he was scolding children.

“There was no time to think,” Joon began but Hyunsik cut him off and began pacing again.

“I swear,” Hyunsik muttered, “One day, you’ll be the death of me.  Forget cancer or old age; I’m going to die of goddamn stress.” 

“Er…” Cheondoong interrupted as he held up a hand.  Avoiding Joon’s gaze, he looked at Hyunsik and said sheepishly, “I just wanted to say that… I was unconscious the whole time…”

Joon’s jaw dropped as he looked at Cheondoong.  The traitor!  He was throwing Joon under the bus all by himself!  This kid…

“Yeah,” Hyunsik replied, deadpan, “I know.  You got your kicked by a balloon pump.  Thanks for the hard work.”

Cheondoong scratched his head in embarrassment.  He glanced at Joon apologetically as the latter glared at him.

Joon sighed and finally took a step forward.  “I’m sorry for making you worry,” he said, “But hyung… what would you have done?”  He bit his lip as Hyunsik looked at him with surprise.  He was pulling the tiger’s tooth but he didn’t see the fairness in getting in trouble for saving someone’s life. 

To Joon’s surprise, Hyunsik fell silent as he looked back at Joon and seriously considered the question.  After a brief moment of silence, he finally spoke. 

“Don’t get smart with me, brat,” Hyunsik muttered, shaking his head.  He sighed and shook his head.  “The right thing to do,” he said softly, “Would have been to call the police and give them the van’s license plate number so they could do their jobs and save the kid.”

“But you wouldn’t have waited either,” Joon said, pushing his luck, “What if… you waited and they hurt him?”  He suddenly felt goose-bumps along his skin as he remembered the dark and damp warehouse.  He had waited for help then.  There was nothing he could do but wait.

As if reading his thoughts, Hyunsik’s expression softened.  Sighing in defeat, he took off his glasses and rubbed his eyes.  “Still,” he said, “It was careless of you to try and take them head on.”  Putting his glasses back on, he looked at Joon with a serious expression.  “What would I have done if one of you got stabbed?  Or,” he said, his voice strained, “If your head injury was a lot more serious?”  He glared at Cheondoong before looking at Joon, “Do you understand where I’m coming from?” When the two nodded silently, Hyunsik said, “I know it wasn’t your fault but I need to know that you’ll be smarter the next time this happens.  Instead of putting yourselves in the line of fire, leave it to the professionals.”

They fell silent as the words sunk in.  Hyunsik was right; they were lucky they had both come out alright.  If the men had been armed, things would be so drastically different right now…  But even so, Joon was sure Hyunsik would have done the same if he were there.

With a loud and dramatic sigh, Hyunsik scratched his head and turned to Cheondoong.  His expression had lightened considerably as he asked, “Did the doc say when you can leave?  How bad is your injury?  How many fingers am I holding up?”  He held up a pinky and a thumb with one hand while he held up all five of the other.

“Seven,” Cheondoong answered, rolling his eyes, “I’m fine.  The doctor said I could leave whenever.  I need to come back and get my bandage changed the day after tomorrow and then come back and get my stitches out in about two weeks.”

“Good,” Hyunsik said, nodding, “Then let’s get the hell out of here.  I hate hospitals; reminds me of sick people and stupid kids who get injured taking on kidnappers.”  With that, he his heels and walked towards the door.  “I’m going to go make a few calls downstairs,” he said, taking out his phone, “You guys get ready and meet me at the front door.”  Dialling a number on his phone, he closed the door behind him with a click.

“Well…” Cheondoong said, getting out of the bed, “That wasn’t too bad.”

“Yeah,” Joon replied, taking Cheondoong’s arm and helping him up, “We’re lucky he likes us.”

“He likes us?” Cheondoong asked, raising an eyebrow, “I’d hate to see how he’d react if he hated us.”

Joon shuddered at the thought.  A brief image of a tiger with a rabbit dangling from its mouth flashed across his mind.  Yeah… it would probably be something like that.

“Er… hyung,” Cheondoong said suddenly, “Where are my clothes?” 

Joon blinked in response.  The two of them looked down at Cheondoong’s hospital gown.  Clothes… good question.


Seungho couldn’t concentrate.  Although he tried to follow the steps his instructor taught them, he was constantly either off-beat or just plain wrong.

During practice earlier, he had overheard a few of the trainees muttering something about an incident involving two of KTA’s talents… something about an amusement park, blood, and hospitals.

Hadn’t Joon said he’d be going to an amusement park with Cheondoong and Lee-Song’s kid?  Seungho had been half-asleep when Joon had mentioned it to him the night before and hadn’t paid much attention.  There was no way… right?

“Yah,” the instructor snapped, suddenly in Seungho’s face, “Yang Seungho!  Pay attention!  What’s wrong with you today?  You’re usually so quick to pick up routines!”

“Yes, I’m sorry,” Seungho said, bowing.  He sighed as the instructor moved on.  He glanced at the clock; it was nearly 6:00 PM.  Once practice ended in a few minutes, he would have to rush out to catch his night class at 7:00 PM.  His day was jam packed as usual.

Was Joon home already?  He had left shortly after lunch so maybe…?  But if they were having dinner out, maybe he wouldn’t be home until quite a bit later?  Did he have his phone on him?  Maybe a call would be good just to ease Seungho’s mind.  Would he be interrupting though?

Seungho sighed as the instructor finally dismissed them.  Walking over to his backpack, he grabbed a towel and wiped the sweat from his face.  Was he overreacting?  What were the odds that the trainees were talking about them?  KTA had a whole roster of talents… there had to be more of them at the amusement park right? 

Shouldering his backpack, Seungho bowed to the instructor and made his way out of the building and across the street to the dorms.  Climbing up the stairs, Seungho pulled out his keys and entered the dorm.  He sighed in disappointment to find it empty.  Setting his backpack down, he quickly jumped in to the shower.  As the hot water flowed over his aching body, he contemplated skipping class and staying home to wait for Joon.  Missing one lesson wasn’t going to kill him right?  They’d only just had exams so the next one wouldn’t be for another few weeks…  Sighing in frustration and worry, Seungho shampooed his hair with conviction. 

He’ll give Joon a call.  That seemed to be the most sensible thing to do.  If everything was fine, he’ll call a cab and head on over to class.  If not… Seungho shook his head and rinsed off before turning off the tap.  He didn’t want to think about the possibility that it really was Joon and Cheondoong who were in the incident.  His mind remembered the image of Joon lying in the hospital bed covered in bandages and hooked up to machines.  He felt his chest stifle as the feeling of panic and helplessness returned. 

When Seungho had first laid eyes on Joon after his kidnapping, he had felt so incredibly helpless that it had suffocated him.  He never wanted to feel that way again.

Stepping out of the shower, Seungho opened the bathroom door and peeked outside.  Still no Joon.  Sighing in disappointment again, he walked over to the dresser buck and pulled out a pair of red briefs.  Slipping them on, he sat on his bed.  After a brief moment of staring at the wall in daze, he grabbed his backpack and pulled out his phone.  Scrolling to Joon’s number, he hit the dial button and waited.

He jumped when the sound of a ringing phone sounded from Joon’s bed.  Sighing in frustration, Seungho hung up the phone and glared at Joon’s bed.  He pulled back the covers and scowled as he stared at Joon’s phone. 

Of course Joon forgot his phone.  It was… such a Joon thing to do.  Scratching his head in frustration, Seungho plopped down on Joon’s bed and bit his lip.  Grabbing his phone again, he scrolled to Cheondoong’s number and dialed.  After six rings, he was bumped to voicemail.  Hanging up without leaving a message, Seungho laid down and closed his eyes.  He breathed in Joon’s scent and contemplated his options.  Now what?  Should he skip?  He was so worried that even if he went to school, he probably wouldn’t pay attention.  But… was he overreacting?  After all that’s happened, was he getting into a habit of worrying too much?  If only Joon hadn’t forgotten his phone…


It was like walking in to a surprise party. 

Joon blinked as he stared at the barely dressed Seungho sleeping on his bed.  Clad in only a pair of red briefs, Seungho slept on Joon’s bed with his phone clutched in his hands.  His hair was still wet; he had probably showered just before.  His sleeping face was set into a deep frown.

Joon glanced at the clock; it was past 7:00 PM.  Didn’t Seungho have class today?  What was he doing home?  And asleep too?  Setting down his jacket, Joon tiptoed over and gingerly sat at the edge of his bed.  Leaning over, he placed a soft kiss on Seungho’s furrowed brows.  When the latter didn’t rouse, Joon lowered his kisses onto Seungho’s lips and cupped his face with a hand.

He felt Seungho stir beneath him.  As he pulled away, Seungho’s eyes fluttered open and widened in surprise at the sight of him. 

“Yah,” Seungho said, blinking away the sleep from his eyes, “You’re back.  You…”  He cut short as his eyes trailed to the cut on Joon’s face.  He quickly looked down at Joon’s bandaged hands.  His face turned pale as he took Joon’s hand.  “What…?” he asked, his voice hoarse.  He looked back up at Joon’s face with worry and confusion.

“I got into a little scuffle,” Joon said apologetically, “I’m fine.”  He felt both guilty and loved as both worry and relief fluttered across Seungho’s face.  “I’m fine,” he repeated, cupping Seungho’s face with his hands, “I’m fine.”

Seungho placed his own hands on Joon’s face and pulled his head forward.  Leaning his forehead against Joon’s, he sighed in both exasperation and relief.  “What am I going to do with you?” he murmured, closing his eyes, “I just want to lock you up in a… a padded cell and surround you with teddy bears.”

Joon laughed as he pulled away and tilted Seungho’s head up.  “Teddy bears?” he asked, “Why teddy bears?”

“Why not teddy bears?” Seungho asked, pulling him into a hug, “Why do you always get in danger?  Are you… allergic to safety or something?”  He sighed and placed his cheek on top of Joon’s head.  “I was only half kidding about the padded cell,” he muttered.

“Hmm,” Joon said, wrapping his arms around Seungho’s torso and running his thumb along the curve of Seungho’s spine, “I like the teddy bear idea.”  He placed a kiss on Seungho’s Adam’s apple and looked up.  “But why are you home?  I thought you had class?” he asked.

Seungho suddenly looked at the clock.  Noticing the time, he sighed and went back to hugging Joon.  “I fell asleep worrying about you,” he said accusingly, “Not that going to class would’ve been very productive anyways.”

“Hmm,” Joon said, placing kisses along Seungho’s collarbone, “I probably shouldn’t say this but I’m glad you missed class.”

Seungho sighed as he began tugging on Joon’s shirt.  “I… I got in trouble today,” he said with a small frown on his face, “The dance instructor yelled at me and-”

“Did you cry?” Joon teased, shrugging out of his shirt.  He looped an arm around Seungho’s neck and placed a sensual kiss onto his lips.  He jumped and laughed when he felt Seungho pinch his tummy.  

“I wanted to cry when you told me you got into a tiny scuffle,” Seungho muttered, unbuckling Joon’s belt, “So tell me… what’s this tiny scuffle?”

“Er…” Joon said, “It’s… sort of a long story…”

“In case you haven’t noticed,” Seungho said as he kicked Joon’s pants from him, “I missed class, which means I have at least three hours on my hands.  So once upon a time…”

“At least let me shower first,” Joon said, wriggling out of Seungho’s grasp, “And then I’ll tell you everything okay?”

“You have,” Seungho glanced at the clock, “Ten minutes, at which point, I will join you and make you talk in the shower.”  

Joon rolled his eyes as he got up.  He yelped when Seungho slapped his .  

“Nine minutes left…” Seungho said, laying back down and grinning.

Sighing, Joon grabbed a pair of underwear and jumped into the shower.  Turning on the shower, he let the hot water wash away the day’s troubles.  It wasn’t until he heard the bathroom door open and felt an arm around his waist before he grinned and finally began to wash.


Author's notes:

Sorry for the long lag!  I'm going through another bout of writers block + busy real-life stuff.  It'll be another few days before I can upload the next chapter so bear with me!  Thanks for sticking with the story!!