Ch 65 - The Whole Truth

Love Me

“Talk to Jin?” Joon asked, giving Seungho a worried look, “How do we do that?  We can’t even leave the building…”

Seungho bit his lip and considered their options.  He hadn’t expected Hyunsik to throw them to the wolves, though it was perfectly understandable considering everything they had been hiding from him.  This didn’t really change anything however; they had originally planned on solving it themselves anyway.  The only complication now was the media.

“Jin said that there were others who claimed to be Lee Changsun before?” Seungho asked, frowning.  Something wasn’t right.  A piece of the puzzle was still missing… “What happened when they were proved to be frauds?” he asked.  A case like this involving an unsolved kidnapping… the law had to have been involved every time someone claimed to be Lee Changsun.  So what happened to the fraudsters?

“I don’t know,” Joon answered, “I didn’t think about that.  He didn’t say anything either…”

Seungho’s frown deepened.  Something had to have happened to those who took the DNA test and were proven to be frauds.  Were they arrested?  Fined?  What happened to them?  Funny that Jin hadn’t mentioned what happened to them…

“I suspect that it was Jin who leaked the information to the press,” Seungho said, “But…”

“But what?” Joon asked, “You think someone else did it?”

“If the fraudsters from other claims were arrested for trying to commit fraud,” Seungho said slowly, “This could be Song Bangna’s scheme to put you away behind bars if you fail the DNA test.  Although… she would have to be extremely confident that you’re not Lee Changsun.”

“That’s risky for her isn’t it?” Joon replied, “In case I actually am and I pass the test?”

“That’s what I was thinking too,” Seungho sighed, “So the best way is to talk to Jin.  If it is him, we can try and figure out why.”

“Regardless,” Joon said gloomily, “We have to deal with the media at KTA.”

“Hyunsik-hyung said he’d do what he can,” Seungho said reassuringly despite his own worry, “I don’t think he’ll let us get eaten alive just like that.  Have faith in him.”  Strangely enough, Seungho firmly believed that Hyunsik was just blowing smoke.  It was quite a turnaround from when he suspected Hyunsik’s every move.

“So should I call Jin?” Joon asked, sitting on his bed and fiddling with his phone, “I don’t know how much he’s willing to tell us on the phone…”

“No,” Seungho said, sitting across from him, “Let’s meet him face to face.  I’d rather not have to guess at his honesty through the phone.”

“But we can’t leave,” Joon said with a frustrated frown, “How are we supposed to meet him?”

Seungho drummed his fingers on the nightstand and said, “They’re watching the front and back doors.  No one said anything about the fire escape…”


The day dragged on as the two waited for night to fall.  Their only hope of getting out undetected was through the fire escape.  The dark of night would help cover them… at least Joon hoped it would.

Fortunately, Jin had agreed to meet.  He sounded normal and when Joon had asked him about whether or not he’d seen the news, he had sounded uncaring and almost distant.  It threw Joon off; he had thought that Jin would sound guilty or at least troubled by the news.  So what did that mean?  What did Jin’s attitude mean?

As the clock ticked passed midnight, Seungho peeked outside into the streets.  News trucks and reporters had thinned out considerably.  No doubt, they had gone home for the night and would return again in the early morning.  This was the perfect time…

Dressing quickly in dark clothes, the two peeked out into the hallway.  Despite the buzzing commotion and curiousity out in the hall earlier in the day, it was now quiet and empty.  Tiptoeing out, Seungho locked the door behind them quietly and led the way to the stairs.  They made their way down to the first floor with as little noise as possible.  As they reached the landing, Joon peeked through the door to the lobby.  As they’d expected, security had practically set up camp at the front door. 

Seungho tugged on his sleeve and pointed to the fire escape door.  It was unmanned, as expected.  Pushing the door open quietly, Seungho peeked outside.  The media had bypassed this door, although some were camped out around the corner at the back entrance. 

Pulling the cap lower on his face, Joon followed Seungho as the latter slipped through the bushes.  The fire escape, although inaccessible from the outside, led to a bushed gate area that could be climbed through.  It led to a good few meters from the front entrance.  As Seungho jumped out of the bush, he dusted off his clothes and began to walk casually as if he was a passerby. 

Heart pounding in his chest, Joon followed suit.  A few remaining journalists glanced in their direction but, in the dark of night, they focused their attention right back towards the front door.  Sighing in relief, Joon followed Seungho quickly down the street and around the corner to the designated meeting area. 

As they approached the café, Joon spotted Jin’s head through the window.  Butterflies danced in his stomach as they entered the café.  What would Jin tell him this time?  Would he finally tell the whole truth?  Joon was only slightly eased by the fact that Seungho had accompanied him this time.

Jin looked up as they approached.  Unlike his distant and nonchalant voice on the phone, he looked weary.  The bags under his eyes seemed larger and darker than usual.  Lines on his face aged him drastically as he glanced at Seungho.

“I didn’t know you would be bringing company,” he said, his voice a bit strained.

“I’m Yang Seungho,” Seungho introduced himself curtly, “We met briefly a few times.”

“You’re the one from the estate,” Jin sighed as he gestured for them to sit, “Small world.”

Joon sat down as the familiar waitress walked over to them with a pot of coffee.  Pouring them a drink, she walked away quickly but not without glancing back at them with widened and excited eyes.  She had probably read the news too.

“I’m glad you changed your mind,” Jin said as he sipped his coffee.

“You changed it for me,” Joon said tightly, “Isn’t that right?”  He clenched his hands under the table as he felt his anger flare.  “You went to the media,” he said, “It was you, wasn’t it?”

Jin paused for only a brief moment before he nodded and said, “Yes.  I went to the media.”

Joon’s jaw dropped as the words settled into his ears.  He had already suspected it; in fact he had been nearly positive that it was Jin.  Still, to hear the admission from Jin himself was all the same shocking.

“Why?” Joon whispered, “Why would you do that?”

“If I’d left you alone,” Jin said quietly, “You would have disappeared, am I right?” He looked at Seungho briefly before turning his gaze back to Joon.  “You would have turned away from Lee-Song and KTA… you would’ve chosen to run rather than fight,” Jin said slowly, “Am I right?”

Joon bit his lip as he glared at Jin.  It was true; he had thought of running away with Seungho and never looking back.  But still… “Even if I had,” he said, “It would’ve been my choice.”  He gestured to the window and said angrily, “But you took that choice away from me.”

“Because it would have been a bad choice,” Jin answered with a sharp tone, “And potentially fatal.  I told you, she will not stop until you are out of the picture for good.”

“So you shove me into the spotlight?” Joon hissed, “Now I’m an easy target for her hit-men!”

“You fool,” Jin sighed, “You were always an easy target.”  Shaking his head, he took another sip of his coffee.

Joon fell silent as he leaned back in his chair in defeat.  In a way, Jin was right.  Being in the spotlight now didn’t really make a difference for Song Bangna; she could take him out at any time.

“Ahjussi,” Seungho interrupted, to Joon and Jin’s surprise, “I have a question for you.”

Blinking away his surprise, Jin nodded warily and turned his attention to Seungho.  It was clear he was tense from Seungho’s presence; did he feel threatened?  Or was he worried that Seungho might read his lies easier than Joon could?

“You said others before claimed that they were Lee Changsun,” Seungho said slowly, “And that they also did a DNA test with the youngest Lee son… is that true?”  His face was solemn and almost dark; Joon rarely saw this Seungho.  The person sitting beside him emanated a stifling aura that seemed to overpower the entire table.  It was a complete opposite of the usual mischievous and sensual Seungho that Joon was used to.

“Yes…” Jin said warily.  He fiddled with his coffee cup as he waited for Seungho to continue. 

“What happened to them after they failed the DNA test?” Seungho asked quietly, “Where are they now?”

Silence fell between them as Jin gazed back at Seungho quietly.  Joon looked between the two nervously.  He could tell there was a mental battle happening between the two; their gazes were locked with intensity as they tried to out glare each other. 

Finally, after what seemed like minutes passed, Jin sighed and looked away.  “I can’t tell you for sure,” he said quietly, “I only know of what happened to one of them.”

“How many were there?” Seungho asked.

“There were only two publicized in the media that I know about,” Jin said, “If there were any others, they were out of the spotlight and done in secret.”

“What happened to the one you know of?” Joon asked.  Two… there had been at least two people before him who had publicly claimed that they were Lee Changsun.

“The one I know of,” Jin said, glancing at Joon, “Was fined $100,000 and sent to jail for trying to commit identity fraud.”

Joon’s eyes widened as his jaw dropped.  Fined $100,000?  Sent to jail?  Was it that serious?  “That’s…” he murmured, “That’s ridiculous…”

“Song Bangna made sure to use her influence on his ruling,” Jin said, “I’m sure of it.  I can understand a fine… but to be sent to jail too is clearly overboard.”

“So you went to the media knowing that if Joon fails this DNA test,” Seungho hissed angrily, “That he could be fined and sent to jail?”  He leaned forward, his face dangerously dark and snarled, “Should I remind you that Song Bangna could probably falsify the test results too?”

“I thought about that,” Jin said, his face stony in the presence of Seungho’s devilish aura, “And there’s a way for you to prevent her falsification of the test results.”

Joon placed a hand on Seungho’s arm to try and calm him down.  It was clear Seungho was fuming at Jin’s risky move.  But if there was a way… “How?” he asked, feeling pretty angry himself, “You make it sound like she could influence anything she wanted to.”

“From what I know,” Jin said, relaxing a little as Seungho leaned back in his chair, “The two publicised attempts from before didn’t garner quite as much media attention.  The claimers did not visually resemble Lee Sukgyun and the DNA tests were only performed months after the media covered the story.  In other words, by the time the test rolled around, people lost interest in the story.”

“So?” Seungho asked, crossing his arms, “What does that have to do with anything?”

“Song Bangna delayed the testing to let the story die off a little,” Jin said, looking at Seungho, “That way, if she could falsify the test results without anyone really noticing.  It’s her way of controlling the spotlight so that her dirty deeds would never be exposed.”

“So what makes you think things will be any different this time?” Seungho asked.

“Other than the fact that you look like a replica of Lee Sukgyun,” Jin said, turning to Joon, “You request a DNA test right away.  The law will get involved again and you can be sure she’ll have her influence in that too.  But she won’t have her hands in the media; they would easily throw her under the bus for a good story.  With the media’s attention focused on her, she won’t risk a falsified test.”

“That sounds…” Joon said, shaking his head, “It sounds far-fetched.  There’s no reason she wouldn’t falsify results just because the media is looking at her-”

“I know her best,” Jin said softly, looking down at his cup, “She’ll do anything to protect her image and the image of Lee-Song.  If it meant damaging her reputation as a kind and compassionate CEO, she wouldn’t risk it.”

“You’re forgetting the fact that Joon might fail the DNA test because he’s not Lee Changsun,” Seungho interjected, “Why are you so sure that he is?”

Jin gazed at Joon’s face quietly.  “I told you… you look like a replica of Sukgyun,” he said softly, “Your story matches with what happened in the past… I’m sure.”

“If she falsifies the test results,” Joon said softly, “It won’t matter if I am or not.”

“She won’t,” Jin insisted, “Trust me.  The public already believes that you are.  The fact that you’re also an upcoming KTA talent helps the media draw attention.”

“Asking us to trust you is difficult,” Seungho sighed, “You haven’t exactly been telling the whole truth…”

“I told you what you needed to know,” Jin said, his eyes earnest as he looked between the two, “I… I didn’t tell you about my history with Bangna because I didn’t think it was relevant.”

Silence fell again as Joon looked at Jin.  He had to admit, he was curious about what happened.  How did Song Bangna end up marrying Lee Sukgyun if she was originally with Jin?  What was the story behind it?  “What…” he asked, unable to hide is curiosity any longer, “What happened?”  He let out a breath and said, “How did… things become the way they are?”

Jin clenched his jaw as he frowned and looked at his empty coffee cup.  After a heavy moment of silence, he said, “She and I dated for a few months before she met Sukgyun… I thought I had found the love of my life.”  He laughed hollowly as his gaze became distant.  “After only a few months, I was ready to propose to her,” he said bitterly, “That’s how invested I was in her.  I had no idea she’d only befriended me to approach my best friend.”

“Why didn’t you say anything to him?” Joon asked.  It was clear that even after over a decade, Jin’s pain was still fresh.  The look on his face was both heartbreaking and terrifying.

“I was going to,” Jin said, “But Sukgyun… before I could tell him the truth, he’d gone and fallen in love again, that fool.”  He shook his head and sighed.  “He had been so lonely ever since Eunae died,” he murmured, glancing at Joon, “Your mother.  I didn’t have the heart to tell him the truth… especially when it seemed like Bangna was head over heels in love too.” 

“So you let your girlfriend marry your best friend?” Seungho asked, “That’s either incredibly noble of you… or incredibly stupid of you.”

“I’d say it was the latter,” Jin laughed with a shake of his head, “It was stupid of me.  In hindsight, I doomed my best friend to his death.”

“It’s not your fault,” Joon said softly, feeling heartbroken for Jin.  It was strange; he didn’t fully trust him, but he could feel the pain that Jin was still drowning in.  It was as if, somehow, he could relate.  He imagined what it would be like if Dara were to wake up.  If Seungho fell in love with Dara again… could Joon let him go?  The pain from a situation like that would likely be fatal.

Jin blinked at him in surprise, clearly taken aback by his words.  And then… like a statue coming to life, his hard and stony face softened into that of an old man.  A sad smile spread across his lips as he gazed at Joon with gentle eyes.  “Thank you,” he murmured, “For saying that.”

Joon could feel the sincerity in those words.  Jin must have felt guilty for letting his best friend marry Song Bangna.  If she really did poison him, Jin would have felt as if he’d been the one to kill Sukgyun.  Again, Joon could relate.  He had felt the same about Dara’s accident… it was strange how easily he empathised with this person sitting before him.

“We should head back,” Seungho said, pulling him out of his thoughts, “We’ve already been out for too long.” 

Joon nodded and stood from his seat.  Jin followed suit, his moment of softness gone from his face.  It was, once again, edgy and stony as he looked back at the two with a grim expression.  “Remember what I said,” he said softly, “Request a test right away while the media is frenzied over this.  It’s your only bet that she won’t falsify the results.”

Joon sighed as he contemplated the words.  Should he trust Jin?  If he requested a test, he ran the risk of failing it and being sent to jail.  Regardless of Bangna falsifying the test results or not, he still ran the risk of failing.  But if he didn’t… what then?  Run from the media?  Leave KTA?  And what about Seungho?

Lost in his thoughts, Joon followed Seungho out into the night.  As they neared the dorm, Seungho slowed down his pace and began to head towards the same shrubbery that they’d climbed out of.  He had stuck a branch into the fire escape door so that it would be accessible for them when they returned.

But before they had a chance to duck inside the bush, flashes went off in their eyes making them stop dead in their tracks.  Like bees, reporters and cameras swarmed them as they suddenly became surrounded by the press.

Stunned at the sudden attack, Joon felt microphones get pushed into his face and questions flew at him from all around him.

“Lee Joon-shi-”

“Are you really the missing son of the late-”

“How do you feel about this rumor-”

“What do you have to say about this-”

“What do you plan on doing next?”

Joon squinted in the light of the cameras, his heart pounding in his chest.  He gripped Seungho’s jacket tightly as his mind raced.  Should he answer?  How do they get away from this?  

“Please let us through,” Seungho called loudly over them as he tried to push through but it wasn’t working; they had formed a solid wall between Seungho and Joon and the fire escape door.

“Lee Joon-shi, please look this way-”

“Lee Joon-shi-”

“Please tell us what you-”

Feeling frustrated and overwhelmed, Joon sighed and looked at Seungho.  There was no place to run now.  Running… was no longer an option.  He couldn’t drag Seungho down with him; he promised that he would protect him.  And he would…

Slowly, Joon released his grip on Seungho’s jacket and let his hand fall to his side.  Taking a deep breath, he turned to the reporters and looked at them firmly.  Silence fell amongst them as they waited for his answer.  The only sounds that could be heard now were the frantic snapping of cameras.  Even the crickets stopped chirping as the world waited for his reply.

“I…” Joon stated with a soft but firm voice, “I believe that I am the son of Lee Sukgyun… and I want to request a DNA test immediately.”


Author's notes:

Oh SNAP!  Here we goooooo!