Ch 35 - Curiosity

Love Me

Joon stared at the man, dumbfounded at his bold statement.  Lee Changsun?  Who was that?  Who was this man that seemed so confident that he was this Lee Changsun?  Was it possible that this man knew of Joon’s past?

“Ahjussi…” Joon said quietly, “Do… do you recognize me from somewhere?”  He glanced at Seungho quickly before turning back to the man.  “Who is Lee Changsun?” he asked, taking a tentative step forward.

The man looked at Joon with a heartbreaking expression.  “Why is it that you don’t remember?” he murmured to himself, “I don’t understand…”

“Ahjussi…” Joon said again, taking another step forward.  He paused when Seungho took a hold of his arm and stopped him from getting too close.  “Who are you?” Joon asked, looking at the man, “Do you know me?”

The man sighed and shook his head.  “What a twist of fate…” he murmured before looking up at Joon with determination and hard eyes, “Leave KTA, Lee Joon-shi.  It is not a place for you.”

Joon blinked in surprise.  What was this man going on about?  “What-?” he stuttered as he felt Seungho tug him backwards.

“Leave,” the man repeated, “You should not be here.”  He glanced at Seungho briefly before holding out another piece of paper.  “If you have trouble with them,” he nodded towards the agency, “Then call me.  I will help you leave.”

Hesitantly, Joon reached out and took the piece of paper from him.  A phone number was written on it along with the name Jin.  It was the same thing the man had stuffed into his hand months ago. 

“Jin…ahjussi,” Joon read the word aloud, looking up at the man, “Please tell me who you are.  Why do I have to leave?  What-”

“Who I am doesn’t really matter,” he said, his tone of voice slightly sad, “All that matters is that you stay as far away from this agency and Lee-Song as you can.” 

Joon’s eyes widened.  Lee-Song?  What did any of this have to do with Lee-Song?  Wasn’t that the company that Kim Dongmin represented?  “I… I don’t understand…” he said, looking at Seungho with confusion.

Seungho turned to Jin and said quietly, “Ahjussi, if you don’t want to elaborate on why then I’m afraid Joon isn’t going anywhere.”  He squared his shoulders as Jin narrowed his eyes. 

“Friend,” Jin said, looking at Seungho with a frown, “I’m not the one you should be wary of.  If you really care about Lee Joon-shi’s well-being then you’ll do as I say.” 

“Without any further explanations from you, I’m afraid I can’t,” Seungho said, “Unless you want to explain?  Let’s start with who you are.”  When Jin stayed silent and deepened his frown, Seungho nodded and tightened his grip on Joon.  “I thought so,” he said, “Since that’s the case, we’ll take our leave.”  Bowing politely, Seungho pulled Joon along and crossed the road.

“Hyung…” Joon said, turning back and looking at Jin.  The man watched them with a worried expression on his face as he stood at the side of the road.  “Is it okay to just leave him there?” Joon asked.

“He didn’t want to explain,” Seungho said as they pushed through the lobby doors of the dorm, “So what’s the point?”

Joon fell silent as Seungho led the way up to their dorm.  He was right; Jin clearly didn’t want to elaborate on why Joon had to leave.  But… why would a stranger make such a bold statement?  It didn’t make sense unless he knew something that Joon didn’t.  Who was he anyway?  And… what did he know about KTA and Lee-Song?

Joon sighed as Seungho nudged him inside the dorm and closed the door behind them.  He glanced around the room; there were still a few boxes left to unpack.  The kitchen and bath were still completely untouched…

“Wow, you really made progress,” Seungho said, surveying their dorm, “What’s left?”

“Kitchen and bathroom,” Joon replied, looking at Seungho.  He watched as Seungho nodded and walked into the kitchen.  Soon, he heard sounds of boxes being torn open and the clinking of pots and pans.  

Joon couldn’t shake the meeting with Jin from his mind.  His curiosity was killing him; he wanted to know who Jin was and why he insisted on Joon leaving KTA.  

With a sigh, Joon began sorting through a nearby box.  Most of the content was stuff he’d found lying around the apartment during the last clean up.  Random tidbits like paperclips and pens littered the bottom of this box.

Joon’s eyes widened as he pulled out a piece of paper that looked like a business card.  Joon recognized it instantly; it was the business card he had had since he first woke up without his memories nearly ten years ago.  At the time, he had given this card to Kim Kyungran, Dara and Cheondoong’s mother.  After she had taken him in, she had used this card to try and help the police find his parents.  Unfortunately, it hadn’t helped.  He hadn’t seen the card since he’d moved in with Seungho over six months ago and it had since been forgotten.  Funny that it would surface now…

The card had meant a lot to him before he’d met Seungho.  It was both a memento of his forgotten past and a constant reminder that he had no identity.  He had hated the card but could not stand to throw it away.  The card had been crumpled several times in anger but each time, Joon had flattened it again and held on to it.  The card was missing one corner and was so frayed that most of the text was illegible.  The back was stained with spots of yellow.   Flipping the card over, Joon tried to read the frayed text.  His jaw dropped as his eyes scanned the text.  His heart raced as his hands suddenly started shaking.

In his hand, the barely legible card read:

Kang Sangki
Lee-Song Group

How could he have forgotten?  That was why he had felt so familiar with the name Lee-Song when Hyunsik had introduced him to Kim Dongmin.  Lee-Song Group… of course!  The past six months had effectively wiped the card from Joon’s mind but now, seeing it again, his curiosity burned with a much greater intensity.  Questions swirled through his mind as he tried to make a connection.  

“Joon-ah?” Seungho called, walking over, “Where’s the ramyun?  I might as well make dinner while I’m cleaning…”  He paused as he noticed Joon’s pale face.  “What?” he asked, frowning in concern, “What’s wrong?”

“Eh?” Joon replied, hastily throwing the card back into the box.  “Nothing,” he said quickly, “Ramyun?”  He stood and walked over to an unmarked box.  “All the food from the pantry was packed in here,” he said, trying to make his voice light.

Seungho gazed at him silently for a brief moment before walking over and digging around in the box too.  Pulling out a package of ramyun, he said, “You… you sure everything’s okay?”

Joon stood and nodded before giving him a smile.  “Yes,” he said.

Seungho sighed and smiled.  “Don’t worry too much about that guy,” he said, cupping Joon’s face with one hand and running a thumb along his cheek, “If he’s really someone from your past, he’ll come find you again.  And maybe then, he’ll tell you what you want to know.”

Joon nodded and leaned into the touch.  He let himself be kissed gently before watching Seungho return to the kitchen.  Soon, the dorm smelled like delicious ramyun.

Walking over to the box again, Joon picked up the business card and slipped it into his pocket.  Why had he hidden it from Seungho?  He wasn’t sure.  It was something he should’ve shared but… he hadn’t.  He couldn’t explain why he suddenly hid the card, or why he couldn’t say anything about it even after Seungho had asked.  It was something he had to think about alone…

The rest of the night passed slowly for Joon.  After a quick dinner, the two resumed unpacking and cleaning.  Joon would resume work the next day and Seungho was to begin his training.  As they’d cleaned, Seungho kept up a light chatter about how he’d planned to balance his time between school, the agency and spending time with Joon.  It had been difficult to pay attention to the conversation; the card in Joon’s pocket was burning a hole through him and distracting him immensely.  Getting ready for bed, Seungho had insisted that the two of them try and fit onto Joon’s single bed, despite the two single beds in the room.  The suggestion, coupled with a few steamy kisses, distracted Joon from his thoughts long enough for them to change and craw into bed.  After the two had successfully squeezed onto Joon’s single bed, Seungho promptly fell asleep, leaving Joon to his thoughts.

His mind returned to the conversation with Jin and again, Joon found himself itching with curiosity.  Jin had mentioned Lee-Song group.  The agency and Lee-Song group were affiliates… and the card from Joon’s past also mentioned Lee-Song.  What was the connection?  And why was Jin so adamant on Joon leaving the company?  What did Lee-Song have to do with his past? 

Joon was brought out of his thoughts as Seungho muttered some gibberish in his sleep before tightening his arms around Joon and snuggling his face further into Joon’s collarbone.  Joon couldn’t help the small chuckle that rose in his chest as Seungho’s breathing steadied again.  Taking a deep breath, Joon shifted his weight and snuggled closer against Seungho’s warmth.

Seungho was right; there was no point worrying about it now.  If Jin was really connected to his past, he’d come find him soon enough.


Nearly a month had passed and still… there was no sign of Jin.

Joon had spent many hours waiting for Jin to show up again but the man had simply vanished.  There wasn’t hide nor hair of him since their last confrontation.  Joon sighed and glanced at the clock; it was nearly midnight.  Seungho should be returning soon… Joon perched near the window and gazed at the front doors of the agency.  

For the past four weeks, Joon had spent almost every night near the windows gazing at the agency front doors.  When he didn’t have a schedule, he would stay up and wait for Seungho to come home.  Whenever he could, he would prepare something for Seungho to eat before the latter began his studying and assignments.  The hectic schedule had taken a toll on Seungho’s body and had left him thinner and more exhausted than ever.

Spotting Seungho’s figure exiting through the doors, Joon jumped up and ran to the kitchen.  Turning on the stove, he heated up the soup he had prepared an hour ago.  Throwing some rice into a bowl, he placed it into the microwave and set the timer to a minute.  Soon, he heard the sounds of a key in the door and the heavy shuffling of feet.

“Mmm…” Seungho said as he kicked off his shoes and walked over to Joon, “Smells good.”  Pulling Joon into a hug, Seungho sighed and leaned onto him.

“Soup,” Joon said, returning the hug.  He felt his heart tighten at how thin Seungho had gotten.  Placing a gentle kiss on Seungho’s temple, Joon cupped his face and looked at him.  “Maybe… you can skip the studying today?” he suggested.

Despite his exhaustion, Seungho grinned at Joon’s suggestion and wiggled his brows.  “Hmm…” he said, leaning in for a kiss, “What did you have in mind?”

Joon chuckled as he felt Seungho’s fingers slip under the hem of his shirt and brush across skin.  “Sleep,” he said firmly, “You need sleep.”  He leaned in and placed a soft but sweet kiss on Seungho’s lips.  “You only got three hours of sleep last night,” he murmured, brushing his thumbs across Seungho’s sallow cheekbones, “Since you don’t have class tomorrow, try and catch up on some sleep.”

Seungho sighed and shook his head in disappointment.  “I thought you were going to suggest something exciting…” he said, smirking.

“Sleep isn’t exciting?” Joon asked as the microwave beeped.  He wriggled out of Seungho’s embrace and grabbed the rice.  “Eat, shower, sleep,” he said, handing Seungho the bowl.

Accepting it, Seungho scrunched up his nose and said, “Only if you shower with me.”

“I already showered,” Joon said, turning Seungho and pushing him towards the stove where the soup was bubbling, “So hurry and eat while the soup is still hot.”

Seungho whined as Joon scooped some soup into his bowl.  “We haven’t done anything fun since we moved here,” he complained.

“It can’t be helped,” Joon sighed.  He sat down across from Seungho as the latter dug into the food.  Propping his head up on his hands, Joon said, “My new phone came in the mail today.”  He pulled it out from his pocket and showed Seungho. 

“You got the same one as the one you had before?” Seungho said, his cheeks stuffed with rice.

“Mmn,” Joon nodded, “I liked the one I had before…”  Because it had been the first gift he’d received from Seungho.  It was a shame it was lost during the incident… so Joon had gotten another one just like it.  “Even though this one isn’t from you,” Joon said, looking at the phone, “I still wanted the same one.”

Seungho paused mid-bite and looked at him.  Putting down his spoon, he took the phone from Joon’s hands and placed a kiss right on the front screen.

“Oh, hyung!” Joon exclaimed, snatching the phone back and wiping the greasy lip stain from the screen, “What-?”

Seungho grinned before he resumed eating.  “Now it’s sort of from me,” he said, “At least the grease is.”  Joon scrunched up his nose as Seungho stuffed the rest of the rice into his mouth.  He couldn’t help but smile as Seungho grinned back at him before getting up to get more rice.  

Biting his lips, Joon cleared his throat and looked at Seungho, who was scooping more soup into his bowl.  He wanted to talk about Jin but wasn’t sure if this was the right time.  After all, Seungho was exhausted… Still though, if he didn’t bring it up now, when would they have the time? 

“Er… hyung,” Joon started, shifting in his seat, “I was thinking…”

“Hmm?” Seungho said, sitting back down and digging in to his second bowl.

Joon paused briefly before he said, “I was thinking of giving Jin a call…”

As expected, Seungho froze mid-chew and looked at him with concern.  “Why?” he mumbled, “Did he come back and bother you again?”  He set the spoon down, suddenly worried.

“No,” Joon said hastily, motioning for Seungho to keep eating, “I just… He hasn’t come looking for me since that time and…”

“And you’re curious?” Seungho said.  When Joon nodded, he fell silent and contemplated for a bit before he said, “I… don’t think you should.”

Taken aback, Joon frowned.  “Why?” he asked.  Wasn’t Seungho curious at all?

“I’m worried that it’s a trap,” Seungho replied.

Joon nodded in understanding.  Seungho had always been protective; he had only gotten more so after the incident with Hyunwoo.  But still though… his curiosity had only gotten worse in the past month.  But before he could say anything, Seungho stood from his seat and brought his bowl to the sink.

“I think you should wait,” Seungho said, washing his bowl and setting it into the dish rack.  He walked back over and pulled Joon out of his seat.  “Like I said,” he murmured, sneakily pulling Joon towards the bathroom, “If he really wants to talk to you, he’ll come to you.”  

Joon bit his lip and fell silent.  The truth was, he didn’t want to wait.  But… what if Seungho was right?  What if it was a trap?  Hyunwoo was still at large… it was probably better to err on the side of caution right?  

Joon was snapped out of his thoughts as Seungho suddenly pulled his shirt over his head.  “Yah… hyung,” Joon said, catching Seungho’s hands as they reached for his pants, “I’ve already showered.”

“Not my kind of shower,” Seungho grinned, before shrugging out of Joon’s grip and tugging on his pants, “Joonie…”

“No,” Joon said firmly, batting his hands away, “You need sleep.”

“Joonie-yah…” Seungho whined, successfully pulling down Joon’s pants.

“Hyung!” Joon said, frowning, “Sleep!”

“I’ll sleep better after,” Seungho said, wrapping an arm around Joon’s waist and pulling him closer.

Sighing, Joon let Seungho trail kisses along his neck and collarbone.  Finally giving in, he followed Seungho into the showers.  After spending much longer than necessary in the showers and trying to stifle their voices, Joon finally pulled a completely exhausted Seungho into bed.  Soon, Seungho’s breathing slowed as he fell asleep.

Joon, however, was wide awake.  His second shower had left him more alert and awake than usual.  He couldn’t get his mind off of Jin.  He was dying to know…

He glanced at Seungho, who was fast asleep beside him, and gingerly rolled out of bed.  He grabbed his phone and glanced at the clock; it was nearly one in the morning.  It was much too late to call Jin now but…

Placing a gentle kiss on Seungho’s cheek, Joon whispered a quiet apology before slipping on his winter jacket and stepping out into the building hallway.  Biting his lip, he pulled out Jin’s phone number and tapped it into his phone.  

His heart raced as the phone rang.  

Three rings… still no answer.  After the seventh ring, Joon sighed and was about to hang up when…

“Hello?”

His breath hitching, Joon placed the phone to his ear and glanced at his dorm door.

“H… Hello?” he murmured quietly into the phone, “Is… is this Jin?”

There was silence on the other end before a man replied, “Is this Changsunnie?”

Joon paused.  “This… is Lee Joon,” he said quietly.  He glanced at the door again before he said, “Jin-ahjussi… I want to meet you right now.  Can… can you come?”


Author's notes: 

Ahjussi - uncle (a way to address an older gentleman)

Kekeke... the plot thickens!  Did you like the shower scene?  Or the lack of?  Muahaha.  I can't give you guys ALL the time... some things are ier when left unsaid ^_~  Don't fret, you'll get your JoonHo sooner or later :D