Ch 32 - Lunch

Love Me

Seungho’s jaw dropped as Hyunsik leaned back and looked at them. 

Have Joon move into the dorms?  And out of the apartment?  The suggestion was absolutely absurd.  Joon only just returned home… to suggest that he move out was ludicrous.

“No,” Seungho said firmly, frowning deeply at Hyunsik, “Joon stays here… with me.” 

Joon turned to him, looking confused and surprised himself.  He bit his lip as he turned back to Hyunsik, unsure of how to respond.

“I knew you’d say that,” Hyunsik said, “So hear me out.”  He sighed and shifted in his chair.  “The KTA dorms are not accessible by just anyone.  It’s a gated area where only certain people are allowed access,” he said, “Which means people like Jang Hyunwoo wouldn’t be able to get in.”  He looked at Seungho pointedly and said, “That’s where Joon will be the safest.”

“So… what?” Seungho asked, feeling panicky at the thought of Joon moving out, “He just… runs from Hyunwoo for the rest of his life?”  He looked at Joon, who was looking back at him with despair.

“At least for now,” Hyunsik said, turning to Joon, “You don’t really have a choice.  There’s nothing we can do to get him convicted; it’s that simple.  Until he slips up again, our hands are tied.”

“Then what about Seungho-hyung?” Joon asked abruptly, surprising the two of them, “What’s to prevent Hyunwoo from hurting him?”  He turned to Hyunsik and said, “If… if he does come here, isn’t it better if I’m here rather than not?  What if he hurts Seungho-hyung because he can’t find me?”

Hyunsik nodded in agreement and turned to Seungho.  “I would offer to have you move into the dorms too but it’s really unheard of that friends and family of talents move into the dorms themselves,” he said, “Not unless…”

“Unless what?” Seungho asked, suspicious, “If you’re suggesting I join KTA, the answer is no.”

Hyunsik shook his head in exasperation and sighed.  “Honestly, boy,” he said, “I don’t understand why you won’t even consider it.”

“The answer is no,” Seungho said stubbornly, “I already know what I want to do with my life and it has nothing to do with the entertainment industry.”

Hyunsik shrugged in response.  “Then you can’t move into the KTA dorms,” he said simply.

Seungho bit his lip as his frown deepened.  “What if… what if we just moved?  Not necessarily into the dorms but just… moved?” he asked, still unwilling to live apart from Joon.

“You could try it,” Hyunsik said, “But there’s still no stopping Jang Hyunwoo from following you home like he did the first time.” 

“You’re assuming Joon would return to work at KTA,” Seungho reminded him, “If Joon doesn’t go back and we move, wouldn’t that solve everything?”

“But what about money?” Joon interjected, frowning at Seungho, “There’s my follow up hospital bills… and Dara-noona’s hospital bill.  There’s also your tuition payments-”

“We’ll figure those things out,” Seungho said, “I don’t think you should go back.”

“Cheondoong’s already sacrificing his college education for us,” Joon argued, “If I go back, maybe he’ll-”

“Cheondoong’s already signed the contract,” Hyunsik interrupted their argument, “He’s signed on for a few years already; if he breaks the contract, he’s liable to repay KTA all of the money and time that was invested in his training.”  When both Joon and Seungho glared at him, he held his hands up in defense and said, “Hey, I don’t make the rules.  I just work there.”

“In that case,” Seungho said to Joon, “Then there’s no point in you going back.”

“Even if Cheondoong stays with KTA,” Joon argued, “He won’t make any money during his training period.  I got lucky and signed a deal early; it might not be the same for him.  What do we do for money in the meantime?”

Seungho sighed in frustration as he wracked his brain for a way to keep Joon by his side.  The thought of living apart from Joon terrified him and made him want to cry.  “We still have some money saved-” he said but was interrupted by Joon.

“That won’t last,” Joon said softly, “I don’t want to move out either but-”

“There’s got to be another way,” Seungho interrupted this time.

“LOOK,” Hyunsik said loudly, causing the both of them to cut off and turn to him in surprise, “The fact of the matter is you guys are both strapped for cash and worried that Jang Hyunwoo will come back for more.  The only way I see to kill two birds with one stone is for Joon to move into the dorms…”  He turned to Seungho and said, “… and for you to move, period.  Doesn’t matter where; just move.”

The room fell silent as the three of them considered their options.  Seungho bit his lip as he looked at Joon.  He truly hated the idea of living apart from Joon.  Through their ups and downs, the thought of separation had never once crossed his mind.  But what was best for Joon?  Living in the dorms would be the safest route for them to take.  After all, if the community was gated, Hyunwoo would never be able to touch Joon.  But… was letting Joon go back to KTA even a good idea?  He would be in the spot light once again.  Wouldn’t that be worse?  Also, Seungho wasn’t sure he could live in this apartment all alone again.  How would he survive?  How would he fall asleep?  The idea made him want to cry.

“Look,” Hyunsik said, standing up, “I don’t need an answer right this minute.  Think on it and let me know by tomorrow morning.” 

Seungho stood too and walked him to the door.  “Seungho-yah,” Hyunsik said as he slipped on his shoes, “The way I see it, you have two choices.”  He glanced towards the living room and sighed.  “Join the agency and live with Joon or… let him go,” he said quietly, “Think of what’s best for him… and what’s most important to you.”  With that, he stepped outside and closed the door behind him.

Seungho stood rooted the spot as he stared at the closed door.  The best for Joon… and what was most important to himself.  Wasn’t the answer obvious?


Cheondoong stood and stretched.  He surveyed his room and nodded in satisfaction.  He had packed most of his things into boxes and only had a few essentials left for his last few days at the bakery.  In a few days’ time, he’ll have officially moved into the agency dorms and have stared his life as a trainee.

He glanced at the clock and gasped in surprise.  It was nearly noon; his last shift at the bakery would start soon.  Cleaning up his appearance, he thundered down the stairs and into the shop.  He nodded to the part-time girl currently on shift and started tying an apron to his waist.

“Oh, oppa,” she said, smiling shyly, “I heard it’s your last day today?”  She shelved a few loaves of bread and looked at him.

“Mmn,” he nodded, grabbing another tray of freshly baked bread and joining her, “Last shift.”

“Hmm,” the girl responded, “You’re going to be a celebrity?”  She dusted off her hands and tucked the tray under her arms.  “Maybe I should get your autograph now?” she teased, flashing him a smile.

Cheondoong chuckled and shook his head.  “I’m only going to be a trainee; it’ll be a long time before I actually become famous enough for my autograph to be worth something,” he reminded her.

“Well, the best of luck to you,” she said, holding out a hand, “I’m going for my break…”

“Thanks,” he said, shaking her hand.  He nodded as she waved and went into the employees’ change rooms.  Sighing, he shelved the remaining loaves of bread and walked to the counter.  Taking a fresh cloth, he disinfected the counter and restacked the catalogues.

The bell ran as a customer entered the bakery.  Cheondoong looked up and smiled as Changwook walked in with a smile.

“Doong-hyung,” Changwook called as he ran over to the counter.

“Oh, Wook-ah,” Cheondoong smiled, “Here again?”

“Mmn,” Changwook beamed, “Do you have any yummy samples today?”

“Of course,” Cheondoong said as he uncovered the lid of a platter, “The patisserie knows you like blueberry so she made a few new things for you to try.”  He held out the platter for Changwook.

Changwook grinned in excitement and rubbed his hands together.  As he reached out, however, his mother walked in with a frown and called out to him.

“Changwook-ah,” she said, disapprovingly, “Have some dignity, please.”  She looked at him with disdain before shaking her head.  “Hurry and pick something,” she said, “I need to stop by the office on the way back.”

Changwook’s face fell instantly at her words.  “Office?” he said, his cheer gone, “I thought we were having lunch together…”

His mother sighed and straightened out her business blazer.  “Something came up at work,” she said, a bit irritated, “So we will have to reschedule.”  Her phone buzzed in her hand and she sighed again.  “I’ll be outside,” she said without looking at him, “Hurry and get something so we can be on our way.”  With that, she clicked her heels and stepped outside to take the call.

Cheondoong glanced at Changwook, who looked as if he was about to burst into tears.  His heartstring tugged as Changwook’s lip quivered.  He wished there was something he could do but he knew it was a problem only Changwook’s mother could fix. 

Every Saturday, the boy came to the bakery with a smile and hope that he could spend the day with his busy mother.  And every Saturday, Changwook left with a crest fallen face because his mother had to leave early.  It had since become a rerun for Cheondoong to see Changwook’s disappointment every weekend.  Having grown up with only his father who had been too busy working to be with his family, Cheondoong knew exactly how it felt to have a parent tell their child they were too busy

To try and console the boy, Cheondoong reached out and placed a hand on his head.  “Be strong, Wook-ah,” he said with a smile.  To his relief, Changwook nodded and exhaled.

The two looked up as Changwook’s mother poked her head in the door with a frown.  “Changwook-ah, are you done?  I really need to leave…” she said irritably.

Hanging his head, Changwook turned and started walking back to her.

Without thinking, Cheondoong reached out and took a hold of Changwook’s hand.  “Changwook-Omeoni,” he said to Changwook’s mother, “Actually, Changwook hasn’t a chance to try our new goods yet.  If you don’t mind, maybe he can stay here for lunch?” 

His heart thudded in his chest as the mother blinked in surprise.  Changwook also looked up at him with wide eyes before turning to his mother with a pleading look.  “Omeoni,” he said, suddenly excited, “Can I please stay?”

“How can I just leave you here?” his mother replied, looking at Cheondoong as if he was crazy, “Now hurry-”

“Please,” Changwook begged, “I want to stay-”

“Absolutely not,” his mother replied, entering the bakery fully and crossing her arms, “And I told you to have some dignity, for goodness sake!”

“So have Soyun-noona stay as well,” Changwook argued, stamping his feet, “If you’re allowed to bail on me for work, then I’m allowed to do whatever I want.”  He frowned at his mother.

Cheondoong looked at the boy in surprise.  This was the first time he’d seen Changwook throw a tantrum and he felt guilty that he had instigated it.

“Fine,” his mother snapped, “Do what you want.”  With a glare at Cheondoong, she her heels and left the store in a huff.

Cheondoong stood rooted to the spot.  He had initially suggested the idea to cheer Changwook up… he had no idea it would make things worse between the boy and his mother.  “I’m sorry, Wook-ah,” he said, “I didn’t mean to make things worse.”

Changwook shook his head and tugged Cheondoong’s hand excitedly.  “You didn’t,” he said, the gleeful smile returning to his face, “I’m so glad you invited me to lunch!”  He was so happy he could barely restrain himself from hopping in place.

Cheondoong laughed at Changwook’s grin.  Well, what’s done is done; no use feeling sorry now.  At least the boy was smiling again.  His laugh faltered slightly, however, as a young woman dressed in a thick winter coat and business skirt walked into the store.  Her waist length hair was pulled back into a pony tail, her bangs frazzled by the December wind.  When her gaze landed on Changwook, she sighed and shook her head.

“Count on you to make your mother hopping mad,” the girl muttered as she walked to them.  Turning to Cheondoong, she smiled and held out a hand.  “Nice to meet you,” she said, “I’m Changwook’s babysitter, Soyun.”

Cheondoong, momentarily dazed by her presence, nodded quickly and took her hand.  “I’m…” he said, his mind a bit blank.

“Cheondoong…” Changwook whispered, giving him a hint.

“Right,” Cheondoong said quickly, flushing red as Soyun tried to hold back her giggle, “Cheondoong.”  He cleared his throat awkwardly.

Changwook turned his attention to Soyun and frowned.  “And you’re not a babysitter,” he said, “Babysitters are for babies.”

“That’s why I’m your babysitter,” Soyun said, flicking him on the forehead gently, “When will you stop being such a baby?”

“When you stop being my babysitter,” Changwook scowled, standing behind Cheondoong and rubbing his forehead.

Soyun gave him a look before she turned back to Cheondoong.  “I’ll be intruding on your lunch,” she bowed politely.

“Ah, no problem,” Cheondoong said quickly, bowing back.  What was wrong with him?  Sure Soyun was pretty but he had never quite been so embarrassing before in front of a girl.  “Oh,” he said, suddenly remembering, “Give me one second…”

He ducked into the employees’ room and found the part-time girl having her break.  “Jina-yah,” he said, “Can you cover for me for a bit?”  He hadn’t thought about it at the time but he was technically working… which means he didn’t really have time for lunch.  He felt bad playing hookie but…  “I sort of got myself into something…” he said sheepishly, “I’ll be back in about an hour.  Is that okay?”

Jina nodded and grinned at him.  “Seeing as it’s your last day,” she sighed dramatically, “I’ll do it.  Just don’t forget me when you become famous.”  She stood and stretched.  Giving him another smile, she stepped out into the bakery.

Quickly discarding his apron, Cheondoong checked his hair in the mirror before walking back out.  Soyun and Changwook were browsing the selections in the store.  Cheondoong was glad to see Changwook happily pointing to muffins and scones.  All traces of the sadness from before had vanished.

“Let’s go,” he said, shrugging on his coat.  As he ushered them out the door, he turned and mouthed a silent thanks to Jina, who was wagging her eyebrows at him and nodding to Soyun.  Shrugging off her teasing gesture, Cheondoong led the way to a nearby restaurant where he often had lunch and dinner.

Changwook stared with wide eyes as they entered the small but cozy restaurant.  His jaw dropped as he walked by tables filled with customers.  “I’ve never been in a place like this before…” he said.

“Really?” Cheondoong asked, surprised by Changwook’s reaction.  The three of them sat down at a table by the window as a waitress brought them a pot of tea and menus.

“Mmn,” Changwook said, staring as a waitress walked by them with a pot of soup, “It’s really small but… it smells so good!”

“Small?” Cheondoong replied, looking around the restaurant.  Although it wasn’t a large restaurant, it certainly wouldn’t be considered small.  The restaurant easily held forty medium sized tables.

“What he means is,” Soyun interjected, “That it’s very cozy.”  She glared at Changwook before taking off her coat.  “It does smell wonderful in here though,” she said, looking around with a similar interest as the boy. 

Cheondoong blinked, slightly puzzled.  The two did look out of place in the bustling restaurant, all dressed up properly and in casual business attire.  One could easily tell the two were from well-off families… perhaps that was what they had meant by small?  Shaking his head, Cheondoong opened up the menu and pointed to the soup section.

“This place is extremely famous for their soups,” Cheondoong said as the two leaned over the table to look at his menu, “Especially their gochujang-jiggae.”  He tapped his fingers at the menu selection.  “It’s not too spicy but hot enough to warm you up on a cold day,” he said.  He looked at the two, who were staring at his menu with round eyes and open mouths.  Dressed as they were, the look was quite comical.

“Let’s get that,” Changwook said, looking at Cheondoong with excitement, “I want to try it!”

“Won’t it be too spicy for you?” Soyun said.

“Not if it isn’t too spicy for you, noona,” Changwook challenged, frowning at her, “Stop treating me like a kid.”

Soyun rolled her eyes and browsed through her menu.  “Everything looks so… good,” she said as she scanned the page.

“This place is quite the hotspot,” Cheondoong explained, “Practically everything on the menu is delicious.”

“And so cheap,” Soyun muttered, taking Cheondoong by surprise again.

“The price isn’t bad either,” Cheondoong agreed, watching Soyun read through every single option.  He couldn’t help but stare at her. 

“Hyung,” Changwook said, looking at him with a knowing grin, “How old are you?”

Soyun looked up from the menu in surprise, suddenly curious as well.

Taken aback by the sudden question, Cheondoong replied, “I’m seventeen… why?”

“Ahh,” Changwook said, nodding dramatically as if he were a wise old man.

“Oh,” Soyun said, looking at Cheondoong, “You’re younger than me.”  Changwook nodded seriously, looking at Cheondoong with a sneaky grin.

“Eh?” Cheondoong replied, surprised.  How was that possible?  Soyun looked as if she was barely out of her teens.

“I’m nineteen,” she said, smiling, “So I’m your noona.”

“Noona?” Cheondoong said in disbelief, “You’re… a noona?”  He gaped at her with wide eyes as she looked at him as if he were a baby.

“Tsk,” she teased, “It’s not you, it’s Soyun-noona.” 

“Right,” Cheondoong muttered as a waitress approached them.

“Have you decided?” the waitress asked, smiling at them.

Cheondoong turned to Soyun and smiled sarcastically.  “Noona,” he said, emphasizing the word, “Have you decided?”

Soyun laughed at Cheondoong’s attempt to get even and turned to the waitress.  “I’ll have the gochujang-jiggae, please,” she said.

“Me too,” Changwook said, raising his hand.

“Me three,” Cheondoong agreed, handing the waitress their menus.

As the waitress left, Soyun poured the three of them tea and said, “So I overheard the other girl at the bakery say that it’s your last day?”

Cheondoong looked at her in surprise, as did Changwook.  “Yes,” he sighed, “I’ll… be moving to another job soon.”

“Why?” Changwook asked, upset at the news, “What’s wrong with the bakery?”

“Nothing,” Cheondoong said, smiling, “I just need a better paying job, that’s all.”

“Then come work for me,” Changwook said firmly.  Turning to Soyun, he upturned his nose and said, “Soyun-noona, you’re fired.”

Soyun flicked him on the forehead again and turned back to Cheondoong as Changwook whined.  “Have you found something already?” she asked, ignoring Changwook as he scowled at her.

“Yes,” Cheondoong said, reaching over and ruffling Changwook’s hair, “I’ll be starting there in a few days.”

“Where?” Changwook demanded, drumming his small fist on the table, “So I can come and visit.”

“It’s not anywhere you can visit,” Cheondoong said, smiling gently.  Since he had yet to start as a trainee, he wanted to avoid dropping KTA’s name. 

“Then…” Changwook said, his eyes widening, “Then how do I see you?”  His eyes began to moisten at the thought of never seeing Cheondoong again.

“Aigoo,” Soyun said, pinching his cheek, “Don’t be such a crybaby.”

Grabbing a napkin, Cheondoong used a nearby pen and jot down his phone number.  “This is my cell number,” he said, handing it to Changwook, “When you want to talk to me, just call.”

Changwook took the napkin and nodded.  Carefully, he folded the paper and put it in his pocket.  Feeling better, he smiled as the waitress brought them their food.

As they ate, Cheondoong felt a sense of happiness that reminded him of the past.  When his father had been alive… when his sister had been perfectly healthy.  They used to sit around the dinner table, not unlike now, and chat as they ate.  Eating his lunch as Soyun and Changwook bickered made him wish that time would flow a little slower and that lunch would last a little longer.


“I’m sorry to make you come here twice in one day,” Seungho said as Hyunsik shrugged off his coat and sat down in the living room.

“To make up for it,” Hyunsik said, nodding at Joon as the latter came out of the bedroom with a worried face, “I didn’t bring you anything this time.”  He accepted the tea and took a sip.  “So calling me here at near midnight probably means you have an answer?” he asked, looking between the two.

“Yes,” Seungho said, as Joon sat down too.

“You don’t have to give me an answer until tomorrow… are you sure you’ve discussed this?” Hyunsik asked, looking at Joon, “Joon doesn’t look so sure about it.”

“We talked all afternoon,” Seungho said, his expression softening as he looked at Joon, “I… think this is the best possible solution.”

Hyunsik nodded and leaned back in his chair.  “So what’ll it be?” he asked.

Seungho took a deep breath and said, “Joon… will move to the dorms.  But I’m coming with him.”


Author's notes:

omeoni - respectable term for mother (Changwook-omeoni is like saying "Changwook's mother" or "mother of Changwook")

Ahaha another curveball at the end!!  XD  You should know me well enough to expect it LOL!  Thanks for reading as usual and please vote!