Ch 6 - Meetings

Love Me

Joon woke up first. 

Without opening his eyes, Joon reached out to grab the glass of water he usually kept on the coffee table.  What met his touch, though, wasn’t the cold hard wood of the table or the glass of water.  Instead, he felt soft cotton stretched over something warm… and it moved up and down slowly.  Confused, Joon opened one bleary eye to see what he was touching. 

Right next to him laid a peacefully sleeping Seungho.  He slept on his back, posture leaning towards Joon.  His chest rose and fell with every breath… and that was what Joon was touching.  His eyes widened in surprise as he quickly jerked his hand back to cover his mouth.  The brief moment of confusion was quickly replaced by a reminder of why he was in Seungho’s bed.

Heart thudding in his chest, Joon looked at his sleeping face that was just a few inches from his own.  Seungho’s hair stuck out at odd angles with a few pieces falling onto his forehead.  His eyes were closed, his long lashes brushing his rosy cheeks.  One of his arms laid across his stomach as the other laid in between the two of them. 

Joon slowly propped himself up on his elbows and rested his head in his hands.  He had always thought Seungho was handsome… but he had never quite thought of him as cute.  His usual charismatic personality was replaced by a peaceful sense of vulnerability when he slept… something Joon found himself liking very much.

Joon’s gaze stopped at Seungho’s lips.  They looked so soft… Joon once again found himself wondering how they would feel.  Maybe it was because he was half-awake, but Joon didn’t think twice before he gently closed the distance between them and brushed their lips together.

The feeling was… soft.  Joon lifted his head a few inches and frowned.  He thought there would be something… more.  They certainly felt nice but... Unsure, Joon once again lowered his lips onto Seungho’s.  This time however, he parted his lips slightly and captured Seungho’s bottom lip.

The feeling was different from the first brush of lips.  This time, he felt a slither of excitement rush through him.  Surprised, Joon pulled back and stared at Seungho’s still sleeping face.  Giddy with his secret experimentation, Joon once again placed another kiss on Seungho’s vulnerable lips.  This time, his tongue darted out and ran across Seungho’s bottom lip. 

This, however, stirred the sleeping man.  Letting out a soft groan, Seungho unconsciously returned the kiss, his own tongue darting out from behind his lips.

Surprised by the sudden response, Joon quickly retreated back to his pillow and pretended to sleep.  His heart raced in his chest at the thought of being caught.  If Seungho found out…


Seungho could’ve sworn he was kissing somebody.  He felt soft lips press against his and something wet dart across his bottom lip.  Without thinking, Seungho had responded with a kiss of his own.  The intimate contact felt so good that when it was suddenly broken, Seungho felt a strange surge of upset.  Opening his eyes blearily, he looked around the room.  There was no mysterious woman leaning over him as he had hoped.  As he’d thought, it was just a dream.

Shaking his head in amusement, he glanced to his right.  It was as if he was suddenly shocked out of his grogginess.  His eyes widened as he caught sight of Joon’s sleeping face and quickly sat up.  He placed a hand over his racing heart and tried to calm himself.  He’d forgotten that he was sharing a bed with Joon… the sudden proximity of the kid shocked him.  Scratching his bed hair, Seungho slouched and sighed.  He inwardly chuckled at the sudden amusing image of Joon giving him morning wake up kisses.  Mid-chuckle, he realized what he was thinking of and frowned.  As if that would happen… so much for proving it was just an infatuation.

He felt the bed shift as Joon woke as well.  Willing himself to relax, Seungho took a deep breath.  Trying to act natural, Seungho turned around and asked, “Did I wake you?”  He watched as Joon sat up as well, his hair sticking up oddly.  His shirt was twisted on his body and one shoulder peeked out from beneath the fabric.  Seungho felt a tingle of… what?  What was this feeling at the pit of his stomach?

Shaking his head, Joon replied, “No,” he said, “I… just woke up.”  He glanced at Seungho before quickly looking away.

Nodding, Seungho looked away as well and stared at his hands.  He felt awkwardness descend as he tried to keep a conversation.  “Um,” he said, “Did you sleep well?”

“Yes,” Joon replied, “It felt very… nice.  Thank you.”  He smiled shyly, looking anywhere but at Seungho. 

It was nice… seeing him like this.  There was something incredibly precious about Joon when he was fresh from sleep.  Strangely, Seungho felt tenderness fill his heart.  “Right,” Seungho said, getting out of bed, “Breakfast.”  Enough of this strange emotional rollercoaster.  He needed to put a stop to whatever this weird thing was with Joon and get his head back in the game.

Nodding, Joon got out of bed as well and quickly adjusted his shirt.  He stood in place as Seungho searched the room for a pair of wearable socks.  Both were silent as they got dressed and cleaned up the room.  The awkward tension was stifling.

“I have class today,” Seungho said, as the two of them shuffled into the kitchen, “But can you see if you can get Mun Hyunsik to meet today?  I want to meet this guy and see if he’s trustworthy…”

“I’ll give him a call,” Joon said, handing Seungho a pan and some eggs, “I work later too so hopefully…”

Seungho nodded, cracking the eggs into the pan.  As he waited for the eggs to cook, he tossed around their conversation regarding the cheque again in his head.  If this Mun Hyunsik character was even remotely suspicious, Seungho would shut down the whole idea of Joon working for KTA for good.  He still didn’t feel comfortable with the idea of Joon being out in the public eye… especially when Jang Daeho was as free as a bird.

As he flipped the eggs, Seungho watched as Joon shuffled to the washroom to wash up.  He’d be damned if Joon gets taken advantage of again.


Mun Hyunsik was late.

As they sat in the café and waited for him, Joon played with his water nervously.  He glanced at Seungho, who was sitting next to him, and sighed.  Seungho’s frown was getting so deep, Joon was sure it would become a permanent crease in his forehead soon.

“He’ll be here soon,” Joon said tentatively, looking at Seungho, “If… If you need to get to class-”

“I’ll wait,” Seungho replied, taking a gulp of his own water.

Nodding, Joon leaned back into his chair and sighed again.  He had hoped that Seungho wouldn’t get involved in all of this.  He wasn’t sure if he was being scammed but he at least wanted Seungho to have stayed far away from Mun Hyunsik and KTA.  Although Joon sensed that everything Mun Hyunsik had told him was legitamite, he didn’t want to risk pulling Seungho even further down the well with him.

“Joon-ah,” Seungho said suddenly, turning towards him.  His features softened and his frown disappeared, replaced by sincere concern.  “Are you sure you want to go through with KTA?  I know you’re trying to help,” Seungho said softly, “But I’m just… I’m not sure about this.”

“I think that… it’s the best way for us to get out of this money problem,” Joon said carefully, “Until Dara-noona recovers, this is the best option.”  That was the best answer he could provide without full out lying to Seungho.  After all, Joon wasn’t sure about it either… but what choice did they have?  As far as Joon was concerned, Seungho quitting school was not an option.

“I can always pick up another part-time job,” Seungho tried to reason but Joon shook his head in disagreement.

“You already work part-time as a tutor on top of a full course load.  There’s no way you can afford to carry another part-time job,” Joon said, glancing towards the door.

At this moment, Mun Hyunsik walked through it, looking annoyed and hurried.  Spotting Joon, he quickly made his way over to the table.

Noticing Joon’s gaze, Seungho also turned his attention to the approaching man.  The two of them stood and bowed slightly as he reached the table.

“Lee Joon,” Mun Hyunsik said, suddenly grinning.  “Glad you made up your mind so quick,” he said, glancing at Seungho, “Who’s this?”

“Ah,” Joon said, once again swept away by Hyunsik’s fast pace, “This is my friend…” He wanted to avoid giving details as much as possible.

“Hello,” Seungho said politely, “I’m Yang Seungho-”

He was cut off as Hyunsik looked him up and down before settling his gaze on Seungho’s face.  Joon recognized that look…  Sure enough, Hyunsik asked, “Has Yang Seungho ever considered the entertainment industry?”

Taken aback, Seungho faltered as his mouth opened in surprise.  Stepping in, Joon instinctively pulled on his arm and held it protectively.

“No,” Joon replied quickly, surprising the both of them, “He’s a student…”  He glanced at Seungho, who looked back at him with surprise.  Squeezing his arm lightly, Joon turned his attention back to Hyunsik, who suddenly looked like he’d discovered the cure for cancer.

“Ah,” he said, snapping his fingers.  He looked at Joon and winked, “Tuition… right.”  He motioned for all of them to sit down.  Waving for a waitress, Joon was sure he wanted to order a coffee again.  “So,” he said, “Got a number for me?”

After a brief moment of silence, Seungho reached into his pocket and pulled out a filled out cheque.  Joon glanced at the number and his eyes widened in surprise.  It was nearly double Seungho’s actual tuition amount.  Why did he…?  Seungho pushed it across the table and crossed his arms, a look of challenge settling onto his face.  Joon couldn’t figure out what he was up to.

Glancing at the number, Hyunsik scoffed and ordered a coffee.  As the waitress left, he returned his attention to the two boys across from him and began tapping his fingers on the table.  “So,” he said again, “What’s the story?”

“Excuse me?” Seungho said, also thrown off by Hyunsik’s strange pace.  He glanced at Joon, who was also looking puzzled.

“Story,” Hyunsik said matter-of-factly, “You two secret lovers or something?  You married?” He looked at Seungho, raising an eyebrow.

Confused, Seungho replied, “I’m a st-no I’m not married.” 

Snapping his fingers again, Hyunsik leaned into the table and looked at Seungho coyly, “Child support?”

Seungho’s jaw dropped at the absurdity.  “What-?  No,” he said, flabbergasted.

“Come on,” Hyunsik said, leaning back in his chair again, “This isn’t about tuition…” He glanced pointedly at the cheque.  “You expect me to believe that your tuition is triple the standard tuition fees?” he asked, raising both eyebrows, “I’m smarter than I look, kid.”

Joon could tell Seungho was refraining from rolling his eyes.  His confusion disappeared, replaced by the same challenging look he’d had earlier.  Joon waited for his response, hoping he wasn’t about to shut the whole negotiation down.  This was their only option to financial relief…

“Actually,” Seungho said, also leaning back into his seat, “It’s only double.”

“No kidding?” Hyunsik said, accepting the coffee from the waitress, “Education is getting overrated.”  He sipped it before setting it on the table and glancing at Seungho.  “So what’s up?”

“That’s how much we need,” Seungho said, his voice soft but firm, “No questions asked.”

Joon watched the exchange, surprised by this new side of Seungho.  He had never seen such a steely and almost dangerous side of him.  It had become clear now that he was challenging Hyunsik with his number… but what for?  Joon bit his lip and waited for Hyunsik to respond. 

Hyunsik stared at Seungho as he contemplated.  “You expect me,” he said slowly, “To lend you all this money… and not ask any questions?”

Nodding confidently, Seungho replied, “That’s right.”

Running his tongue along his teeth, Hyunsik stared between the two of them and considered his options.  He glanced at Joon, his eyes once again taking in all the details once again. 

Uncomfortable with the scrutiny, Joon shifted in his seat nervously.  Whatever Seungho’s reasons were for asking for such a high number, Mun Hyunsik clearly didn’t like it.  Sighing, Seungho grabbed his jacket and prepared to leave.  Disappointed at the result of this entire thing, Joon sighed as well.

They froze, however, when Hyunsik pulled out a pen and signed the cheque.

Seungho stared in stunned shock as Hyunsik pushed the cheque back towards him.  Joon’s jaws dropped as his heart suddenly sped up at the new turn of events.  Was Mun Hyunsik serious about lending them that much money…?  Without asking any questions?

Seungho settled back into his seat, staring at Hyunsik with an expression of disbelief.  “Why…?” he asked, confused.

Hyunsik nodded pointedly at Joon and replied, “Like I said before, he’s going to make me lots of money.”  He sipped his coffee non-chalantly and waited for Seungho to respond.

“That…” Seungho said, frowning again, “How, exactly, is he going to do that?”

Hyunsik waved his hands in the air aimlessly, as if the answer was as obvious as the air that they breathed.  “Modelling, commercials...” he listed, “I don’t know, kid.  Can you sing?  Act?”

“Ah,” Joon said, caught off guard by the sudden question directed at him, “I… I-”

“Doesn’t matter,” Hyunsik interrupted, dismissing him, “With a face like that, I’m sure I can get something out of you.”

Seungho still didn’t look happy with that answer.  “Something… isn’t specific enough,” he said.

Hyunsik raised his eyebrows and looked at Seungho with amusement.  “What are you, his mother?  It’s not like I’m going to sell him to the highest bidder,” he laughed, drinking his coffee.

Joon’s breath hitched as he glanced at Seungho.  Joon knew Hyunsik was joking but… of all the things to say!  Seungho visibly tensed, his hands rounding into fists underneath the table.  His jaws clenched briefly before they relaxed. 

Fortunately, Hyunsik didn’t notice the change in tension and just plowed right through the conversation. 

“It’s hard to believe that someone as nice as me exists,” he said, nodding in agreement with himself, “But what can I say?  I’m a risk taker.”  He glanced at his watch and stood.  “I expect to see you… here-” he said, handing Joon another business card with an address on it, “tomorrow morning nine AM sharp.”

The two boys also stood.  Joon looked at the card.  It was the same business card that he had received before.  The address of KTA’s headquarters was printed on the back of the card.  Joon frowned as he suddenly realized what Hyunsik had said.  “Nine?” he asked, looking up, “I have a shift at the café tomorrow-”

“So quit,” Hyunsik interrupted, looking at Joon as if it was obvious.  “See ya,” he said shortly.

“Th… Thank you,” Seungho said hesitantly, still clearly conflicted by everything that had just taken place.

Hyunsik paused, turning to him.  “If you really want to thank me,” he said, “You should come with him tomorrow…”

“No,” Joon said quickly, pulling on Seungho’s sleeve again unconsciously, “He’s busy.”

Rolling his eyes, Hyunsik waved a hand and his heels.  In a few strides, he was out the door.

Silence fell among them as the two boys stood at their table, staring at the door to the café.  After a few moments, Joon turned to Seungho, who was now staring at the cheque.

“Why...” Joon said hesitantly, “Why did you put such a high amount?”  He still couldn’t figure out why Seungho would purposely sabotage them like that.

“I didn’t think he’d sign it,” Seungho sighed, “I didn’t think he was serious.”

“So you were… what?  Testing him?” Joon asked.

Seungho nodded, taking the cheque into his hands.  “I wanted to see how much he wanted you,” he said softly, looking at Joon, “If he’s willing to put some serious money on the line then maybe…”

“Maybe it’s not a scam?” Joon filled in, amused that Seungho had thought of such a thing. 

Again, Seungho nodded, biting his lip.  “I was sure he wouldn’t sign it…” he said.

Sighing, Joon tugged on his arm and said, “Well I’m glad he did.  Now we have enough for your tuition, Dara-noona’s bills and then still have half left over.”  Ushering Seungho out of the café, Joon muttered, “I just hope I can pay him back…”

Seungho stopped in his tracks, causing Joon to run right into his back.  He turned and looked at Joon with a stern face.  “If… If he makes you do anything you don’t want to do, then-” he said but Joon interrupted him.

“I won’t do it,” Joon reassured, rubbing his nose.  “I promise,” he said softly, his heart filling up with a strange feeling, “I won’t ever do something like that again.”  As he watched Seungho’s face relax, he felt the feeling spread from his chest to his hands and feet.  He felt warmth spread over him as Seungho nodded in satisfaction.  What was this feeling?  As if he had something bubbling from his core?  It was both refreshingly pleasant and strangely stifling. 

As they made their way to the bus stop, Joon pulled out the card he’d received from Mun Hyunsik and sighed quietly.  As of tomorrow, he’d be employed by KTA… one of the largest talent agencies in Korea.  He glanced at Seungho, who had placed a hand over the pocket where he kept the signed cheque.  Unsure if he was excited or nervous, Joon was at least sure that for Seungho, he would do anything.


Author's Notes:

This chapter is a bit slow but I needed it to develop the plotline some more.  At least i added some fluff ^^