Ch 31 - Condition

Love Me

Seungho sat up slowly and rolled out of bed.  His hairs stood on end as he let the news sink in.

Jang Hyunwoo got away.  Why?  How?

Glancing at Joon, he quickly dressed and walked out into the hallway, closing the bedroom door behind him with a soft click.

“What do you mean they couldn’t find any solid evidence?” Seungho asked, his heart pumping as he felt a familiar fury swirl in his stomach, “He was the mastermind behind all of it!”

“That may be true but that’s not how things work,” Hyunsik said through the phone, sighing, “He had an alibi.  Some girls down in the red light district said he was with them the whole time.  When the police questioned him, he said he was acquainted with Joon and didn’t know him that well.”

“What about the fact that his father is Jang Daeho?” Seungho said, his temper rising, “What about the case with Dara-noona?”

Hyunsik sighed and replied, “That case was closed remember?  The police won’t reopen it.  There’s definitely something fishy going on here but there’s really nothing we can do.  If Jang Hyunwoo has a legitimate alibi that he can hold up in court, he’s a free man.”

Seungho gaped as he let the news sink in.  “This,” he said, his voice hoarse, “What’s to stop him from doing it again?”  He felt dread and fear course through him.  “What’s… what’s to stop Jang Hyunwoo from doing this again?” he asked, suddenly desperate. 

Hyunsik was silent for a moment before he said, “That’s the other thing I wanted to talk to you about.  Do you have time today?  I’d like to meet up with you and Joon.”

Seungho bit his lip as he glanced at the closed bedroom door.  How was he going to break the news to Joon?  How was he supposed to tell Joon that the main culprit got away without so much as a slap on the wrist?  Joon was getting passed his emotional trauma… was this going to send him spiralling back into the dark?

“I know you’re worried about Joon,” Hyunsik said, “But about his safety… I think I can help with that.”


Joon sat in stunned silence as he and Seungho waited for Hyunsik to arrive.  Seungho had delivered the news to him shortly after he’d woken up.  Now, as they sat on the living room couch where they had previously shared hot kisses and warmth, he was shivering with cold.

Seungho wrapped his arms around him and pulled him into an embrace.  He rubbed a hand on Joon’s shoulder as he rocked them back and forth again. 

Joon buried his face in Seungho’s collar as he tried to take in some warmth.  The thought of Hyunwoo walking free terrified him.  Memories of the warehouse came flooding back to him as he squeezed his eyes shut.  Hyunwoo had told him all about his hatred towards him.  He knew where he lived; he knew about Seungho; he had the means to take Joon back to that warehouse and rip him apart all over again.  Except Joon was certain he wouldn’t survive a second time…

“I’ll keep you safe,” Seungho murmured as if reading his thoughts, “He won’t touch you again as long as I’m here.”

Joon nodded as Seungho’s voice soothed his nerves.  He burrowed further into Seungho’s wide chest and tried to fight off the onslaught of fear that threatened to consume him.

“I’m here…” Seungho repeated, “I’m right here…”  He rocked them back and forth as he continued whispering gentle reassurances into Joon’s ear.

Soon, a knock came upon their door.  Joon felt his breath hitch as he froze with terror.  He stared at the door with wide eyes.  His logical mind knew that the chances of Hyunwoo knocking on their doorstep were extremely slim but he couldn’t help the flood of terror that threatened to drown him.  He whimpered as Seungho pulled away and stood to get the door.  He tightened his grip on Seungho’s arm, pleading with his eyes for Seungho to stay right where he was.

Seungho’s expression softened as he leaned down and cupped Joon’s face.  “That’s probably Hyunsik-hyung,” he said gently, kissing Joon’s forehead, “I’ll be right back.”  He smiled softly and waited for Joon to loosen his grip.

Taking a deep breath, Joon let go of Seungho’s arm.  His hands shook as he gripped his cast so tightly his knuckles turned white.  He closed his eyes briefly and let Seungho place a kiss on his eye.  He couldn’t help anxiety that rushed through him when Seungho turned and walked to the front door.  His heart thudded in his chest as he waited with bated breath. 

To his relief, Hyunsik poked his head through the door.  Joon felt as if every muscle in his body relaxed.  He leaned back against the couch his limbs lifeless.  The strength drained from his body leaving him lying on the couch like a puddle of water.  His heart still raced in his chest, the adrenaline seeped out of his body.

“Joonie-yah,” Hyunsik called, walking in and sitting down across from him, “You’re looking much better.  Coming from me, that’s a huge compliment.”  He grinned and set a box down on the coffee table.  “Seungho-yah,” he called, kicking back in his chair, “Can you bring some coffee?  I brought cake!”

Seungho grumbled something before shuffling into the kitchen.  Joon watched in amusement as Hyunsik made himself at home.  Count on Hyunsik to make himself at home at someone else’s house and order them around.  As Hyunsik looked around the house, Joon felt his fear ebbing away.  Hyunsik’s presence, like Seungho’s, somehow made him feel safe.

“So,” Hyunsik said, turning his sharp but kind gaze on to Joon, “You heard the news huh?”  His expression was light but also filled with concern.

Joon nodded.  “Yes,” he said, “Thank you for helping me get reinstated at work…”  He offered a small smile as Hyunsik nodded.  “We really need the money, especially after my hospital fees,” he said.

“Yes well,” Hyunsik said, “I can’t take all the credit I guess.  Remember the fat man?  He helped.”  He shrugged and adjusted his glasses.  “It was mostly my genius idea but… he helped,” he said, grinning, “A little.”

“Thank you,” Joon said gratefully, “You help me so much…”

“Oh and,” Hyunsik said, dismissing it, “Remember how you make me want to call my grandma and tell her I love her?  Well I finally did.  Turns out, it moved her so much she’s re-writing her will and giving me a bigger inheritance.”  He grinned and said, “Guess I need to thank you too.”

Joon chuckled.  He saw through Hyunsik’s words in a second.  While Joon was sure the larger inheritance would make Hyunsik happy, he knew the real reason Hyunsik was happy was because he had finally called his grandmother.  For whatever reason, he had been out of touch with family.  He used Joon as an excuse to let go of whatever issues he had and finally gave them a call.

“You have family?” Seungho interrupted with sarcasm as he brought out a tray of coffee, “I thought you just dropped out of the heavens for the sake of mankind.”  He set the tray down and distributed the coffee.

“I once doubted my origins too,” Hyunsik admitted, going along with Seungho’s silliness, “But alas, I am mortal.”

Joon laughed as Seungho rolled his eyes and sipped his coffee.  Hyunsik sighed and leaned forward.  His expression turned serious as he looked at Seungho then Joon.  “I wanted to meet with you two today to talk about things going forward,” he said, his tone lower and more serious.  He glanced at Seungho, who had also dropped the jokes and shifted in his seat to pay full attention.  “I’ll be receiving a formal police report on the conclusion of their investigations within the next few weeks,” Hyunsik said, “But we know for sure now that we have four convictions and one walk.” 

Joon shifted in his seat as he gripped his coffee cup tightly.  He waited for Hyunsik to continue.

“You say Jang Hyunwoo is the mastermind behind all of this,” Hyunsik said, “But there’s no proof other than Joon’s word.”  He raised a hand as Seungho was about to interrupt.  “I’m not saying I don’t believe you; just that it’s impossible to convict someone based on one person’s allegations.  I’ve helped out to the best of my ability so far so I think it’s only fair you tell me what’s really going on,” he said, looking from Seungho to Joon.  “I wasn’t told or interested in your private life before,” he said to Joon, “But considering the severity of what’s happened so far, I think I need to know what I’m getting myself into.”

Joon bit his lip and glanced at Seungho.  He never told Hyunsik the details of his past with Jang Daeho.  He had only told him about how he couldn’t remember his past and that he was living with Seungho.  But Hyunsik was right; it was only fair since they weren’t sure of what Hyunwoo was capable of.

Seungho looked at Joon, letting the decision fall on him.  He had previously expressed his growing trust in Hyunsik, which made Joon feel more confident about revealing his past.

“I…” Joon said, looking at Hyunsik, “I’m not sure how or where to start…”  

“Why not start with this Jang Hyunwoo guy?” Hyunsik suggested, “Why did he do this to you?  What’s your relationship?”  He waited patiently for Joon to collect his thoughts.

Glancing at Seungho for support, Joon took a deep breath and said, “He… Hyunwoo’s mother fell ill after his father Jang Daeho began cheating on her.  She… she died shortly after.”  He paused and took a shaky breath.  “The person that his father cheated with…” he said, looking at Hyunsik, “… was me.”

Hyunsik’s eyes widened as he took in the news.  But as usual, he held his tongue and waited patiently for Joon to continue.

“When I told you I couldn’t remember my past, I didn’t go into details,” Joon said, “The truth is, I woke up in a closet nearly ten years ago with no memory.  Kim Kyung Ran… Cheondoong’s mother, found me in the streets and took me in.  I… I was living with her up until about six months ago.”

“Cheondoong?” Hyunsik asked, frowning, “Park Cheondoong?”

Joon nodded.  “I met Jang Daeho shortly after.  We… we had a strange relationship,” Joon stuttered, glancing at Seungho again for support.  When Seungho smiled at him, he took a deep breath and continued.  “I… Jang Daeho… the first time we had was about a year after I’d met him,” he said quietly.

Hyunsik exhaled and took off his glasses.  “You were… what?  Eleven?” he asked, “Jesus…”  He rubbed his eyes before putting the glasses back on.  He fell silent again as he waited.  His expression had turned considerably dark.

“Our… our relationship continued until about half a year ago when Cheondoong and Dara-noona moved in with their mother,” Joon said, “Dara-noona learned of our relationship and helped me escape from that house.”  He shuddered as he remembered the basement he had lived in for years.  “That was when I moved in with Seungho-hyung…” he said, looking at Seungho with warmth.  Seungho gave him a small smile in response.

“So,” Hyunsik said, “Jang Hyunwoo hates you because he thinks your relationship with his father… killed his mother?”  When Joon nodded, he exhaled and leaned back in his chair.  “This is like something straight out of a drama script,” he muttered.

“There’s more,” Joon said, “The accident that Jang Daeho had… do you remember that?”

Hyunsik nodded.  “It was a high-profile case a few months back so I remember.  It was all over the news that a CEO of some company got in an accident cause of drunk driving,” he replied, “He got off pretty much scot free though.”

“The driver of the vehicle he hit,” Joon said grimly, “Was Dara-noona…”

Hyunsik nearly dropped his cup at the news.  He stared at Joon with wide eyes.  “Oh man,” he breathed, setting the cup on the table, “What a story…”  He inhaled deeply before he frowned.  “And that’s on top of the fact that you don’t remember where you came from,” he said.

Joon nodded, feeling a bit anxious.  His story sounded crazy to his own ears and he was worried that Hyunsik would laugh it all off and call him crazy.  To his relief, Hyunsik nodded and sighed.

“Thanks for telling me everything,” he said, abnormally solemn, “Now at least I’m a bit more prepared.”  He paused and turned to look at Joon.  “Now that Jang Hyunwoo is free, do you still want to come back to KTA?” he asked, “You’ll be in the spotlight once again and that might not be a good thing if he’s wandering around.”

Joon bit his lip and contemplated the thought.  When Seungho had first told him that he had been reinstated, he had been overcome with joy.  He could go back to work and undo all of the financial burden he had induced; they would once again be financially comfortable.  But the news of Hyunwoo’s freedom had thrown him back into fear so harsh he considered crawling into bed and staying there forever.

“The thing is,” Joon said softly, “Hyunwoo knows where I live.”  He glanced at Seungho, his heart quivering with fear.  “He… he also knows that I live with Seungho-hyung,” he said, “There’s nothing stopping him from finding me anyways.”  As he said the words, he shivered in his seat.  It was true; there was nothing stopping Hyunwoo from knocking on their door.  There was also nothing to stop him from hurting Seungho as well… Joon was suddenly overcome with worry.  Was Seungho in danger too?

Hyunsik nodded.  “That’s what I thought too, which makes my suggestion a lot more logical and sound,” he said.

Joon and Seungho turned to him with a puzzled look.  

Hyunsik turned to Joon and sighed.  “I’m fine with you coming back to KTA,” he said, his voice firm, “But I have one condition.”  He adjusted his glasses and said, “I agree to have you come back to KTA if you agree to move in to the KTA dorms.”


Author's notes:

More plot advancement!!  Thanks for reading and please vote!  Also, if you haven't checked out MBLAQ's new MV, please do!  It's called No Love!  Support our boys!!