Ch 26 - Progress

Love Me

“He’s healing much faster than I’d expected,” the doctor said as he reviewed Joon’s file, “It’s only been two weeks and we’ve already seen a lot of progress.”  He sighed and flashed them a smile.  “It’s good to be young,” he said.

Seungho smiled and nodded as he glanced at Joon, who returned his glance with a soft smile.  He was beginning to look much better.  The swelling in his eye had gone down and only the remnants of purple and green remained.  The bruises by his jaw had all but dissipated save for a few spots of green.  And although his voice was still scratchy, it had returned enough for him to speak.  His movement was still very limited due to the hairline fractures and his broken arm but he was healing well enough to get up shuffle around. 

“His tests also came back negative a few days ago,” the doctor said, smiling at the relief in Seungho’s face, “The mandatory tests for those criminals also came back clean so… he’s clean.  However, we’d like to maintain regular check-ups for a while just in case.”  He tucked the clipboard under his arm and said, “He can be discharged in a few days.  We just have a few more physical exams to do.”

“That’s great news,” Seungho said, “Thank you.”  He bowed as the doctor nodded and made his way out.  Sighing in relief, Seungho turned to Joon and smiled.

Joon smiled in return and held out a hand.  Walking over, Seungho pulled up a chair and sat down.  He reached out and tucked Joon’s hand firmly between his as the two sat there in content silence.

The past two weeks had been both difficult and relieving for Seungho.  He had returned to class, thanks to Byunghee’s nagging, and was able to catch up the classes he’d missed without much difficulty.  The time he wasn’t in class was spent in Joon’s hospital room, where he’d set up a temporary study desk.  When Joon was awake, they’d chat about simple things like the weather or schoolwork.  When Joon slept, Seungho would study and do his readings… it had become something of a routine for them for the past two weeks.

“Do you have class today?” Joon asked softly, his voice still a bit hoarse.  He laced his fingers with Seungho’s as he looked at him.

Seungho shook his head and squeezed his hand lightly.  “No,” he replied, “I’m off for the weekend.”  He watched as Joon’s expression visibly relaxed.

It was something he had noticed; a change.  Joon would often carry a tense look as Seungho left for class and would look extremely relieved upon his return.  It was something he did subconsciously during their first months of living together.  The habit had disappeared with time but now… it’d returned.  Also, Joon never spoke about his ordeal.  He smiled and got on with life as if nothing had ever happened.  But some nights, Seungho would wake up from his makeshift bed to the sound of Joon’s whimpers.

Seungho wanted to ask but he was terrified to know the details.  He wanted Joon to let go of his fear and yet, he himself was scared of learning exactly what happened.  Could he handle the details without marching off to kill Hyunwoo?  Was he capable of self-restraint?

“Right,” Joon said, snapping him out of his daze, “I forget what day it is.”  He sighed softly and said in a bored tone, “I’m stuck inside all day, I don’t even know what day it is anymore.”

“We can go home soon,” Seungho said, running a thumb over the back of Joon’s hand. 

Joon sighed and nodded.  “I want to go back to work soon too,” he said, “I’m worried about how much we still have saved up.”  Nibbling on his lip, he said with concern, “My hospital bills should have used up everything we’ve saved.”

Seungho bit his lip as Joon played with his hand.  He hadn’t told Joon about KTA’s decision to cut him; he was still hoping to hear good news from Hyunsik.  But the only call he had received was to inform him of Hyunsik’s business travel schedule. 

Clearing his throat, Seungho scooted closer and said, “Joon-ah…”  He met Joon’s curious eyes and his lips.  “About your job…” he started.

Joon waited in silence, his fingers still fiddling with Seungho’s hand.

Clearing his throat again, Seungho wasn’t sure how to deliver the news.  How could he tell him the news without devastating him?  It wasn’t really possible…

“What’s wrong?” Joon asked, frowning slightly.

“Ah,” Seungho said, pausing, “It.. a-about your job…”

“What?” Joon asked, his expression filled with concern, “Did something happen?”  He shifted in his seat and winced slightly before trying to pull Seungho closer.  “What happened?” he asked, tightening his hold on Seungho’s hand.

“You… you shouldn’t think about work so much,” Seungho blurted out, inwardly sighing at his lack of courage to tell Joon the truth, “Focus on healing up.  Don’t worry about money; we still have a lot left.”  He couldn’t do it; he couldn’t tell him.  What was the point of telling him now anyways?  Joon was only just starting to get better; he’d be devastated to find out he’d been cut.  He’d also worry excessively over money and it would only make things worse.

Joon frowned though and pinched the back of Seungho’s hand, making the latter yelp in surprise.  “Don’t lie to me,” Joon said softly as Seungho pulled his hand back on reflex, “I know we’re hurting for money.”  He sighed in frustration as he clawed at the cast on his right arm.  “I’m… I’m worried that they won’t take me back,” he said softly, his gaze on his arm.

“Joon-ah,” Seungho said, reaching out and grabbing a hold of his hand.

“I’m…” Joon murmured quietly, “I’m all scarred up.  What if… what if I can’t model anym-”

“Hey,” Seungho said, sitting on the bed and pulling Joon’s hand into his lap, “If that’s what happens, then it’s their loss.”  He tilted Joon’s head to face him.  “I told you, don’t worry about money,” he said gently, squeezing Joon’s hand, “I’ll take care of it.”

Joon frowned as he searched Seungho’s eyes.  “How?” he asked, “You can’t drop out of school.  I won’t be that kind of burden-”

“Yah,” Seungho interrupted, his voice suddenly firm, “Stop talking like that.  You’re not allowed to say things like that about the person I love.”

Silence fell as Joon blinked in surprise.  Seungho could feel the heat rising from his neck to his ears as embarrassment flushed his face.  Joon let out a laugh as Seungho shuddered from the cheesiness of his line.

“Anyway,” Seungho said with a pointed look as Joon tried to stifle his giggles, “You work on getting better and I’ll take care of the rest.”

His giggles subsiding, Joon nodded and visibly relaxed.  He pulled his hand from Seungho’s hold and reached up to caress Seungho’s face. 

“I’ll get better soon,” Joon said, running a thumb over Seungho’s cheek, “Then we can go back to normal.”

Seungho felt his stomach churn slightly as he digested Joon’s words.  Normal?  Would they be able to go back to normal?  Money and everything else aside, Joon still hasn’t talked much about his ordeal.  Of all the things Seungho worried about, he worried about Joon’s psyche the most. 

Putting his worries aside, he smiled and leaned into Joon’s touch.  “Mmn,” he said.  Slowly, he leaned in and placed a soft kiss on Joon’s lips.  He felt his heart tighten at Joon’s slight recoil.  Hesitantly, Joon leaned into the kiss and returned it gently.

As they shared kiss after gentle kiss, Seungho knew.  The road to ‘normal’ would be long and difficult…


Cheondoong took a deep breath as he stood outside of KTA’s front doors.

In the three weeks since Joon’s incident, he had stewed on the idea of somehow lifting the financial burden from his hyungs.  His visits to the hospital had been brief but enough to learn of the financial difficulties they had.  He’d learned from Seungho that Joon had been let go from his job, although Joon didn’t seem to know of the news himself.  With Dara’s hospital payment coming up again, his hyungs were between a rock and a hard place.  Although Seungho didn’t show it in front of Joon, he was becoming more and more stressed. 

Cheondoong had only thought of joining KTA as a passing thought; he had even discussed it briefly with Joon.  But now… it was becoming more and more of a serious thought.  He wanted so badly to help his hyungs who were struggling to help his sister.  It seemed only right that he also make an effort…

He took another deep breath as he pushed through the doors and walked up to the receptionist.  Bowing deeply, he asked nervously, “Um… I’m looking for Mun Hyunsik-shi.  Is… Is he available?”

The receptionist smiled kindly and said, “One moment.”  She picked up the phone and dialed a number.  As it rang, she covered the mouthpiece and asked, “What’s your name?”

“Park Cheondoong,” Cheondoong replied, bowing again subconsciously, “I’m a friend of Lee Joon-hyung…”

The receptionist nodded and returned to the phone.  “Yes, Mun-bujangnim, Park Cheondoong is here.  He’s a friend of Lee Joon-shi…  yes, I understand,” she said, hanging up the phone.  She stood from her seat and said, “He’s in his office; he’s expecting a guest soon so you’ll have to make it quick.  I’ll take you there.”

Cheondoong nodded as she lead the way through another set of doors.  As he followed her, his eyes widened at the hustle and bustle of staff around him.  Some were speaking into cellphones as they ushered their talents to their next schedules.  Others were at their desks with spreadsheets pulled on up on their screens.  As they made their way to the executive offices, Cheondoong stared star-struck as the occasional famous singer and actor passed them by.

Finally, they stopped outside of a fogged glass door.  The words Mun Hyunsik were crested into the nameplate on the wall.  Cheondoong’s breath hitched as the receptionist knocked gently before peeking inside.

“Mun-bujangnim,” she said, bowing slightly, “Park Cheondoong is here.”

“Send him in,” Cheondoong heard from inside the office.  He nodded as the receptionist held the door for him.  Clearing his throat nervously, he walked inside as the receptionist closed the door behind him. 

He had only seen Mun Hyunsik once and it was when he had come to bail them out of jail.  At the time, he had been so filled with worry to find Joon that he hadn’t paid much attention to him.  Now, as he walked into his office, he was struck by the actual status that Hyunsik seemed to have.  The office was quite large and easily took in a large study desk and a few couches.  A coffee table sat in between and held a nice bowl of fruit.  A large magazine shelf stood behind Hyunsik’s desk and carried the trendiest magazines, including Critique’s catalogue.

He gulped as Hyunsik looked up from his computer.  At the time of the bailout, Hyunsik had seemed quite serious and grim.  His face had looked aged in the police station.  But now… under the lighting of his office and the light streaming in from his large windows, Mun Hyunsik seemed barely much older than he was.

“Oh,” Hyunsik said, standing from his seat and grinning, “I remember you.  You were one of the boys I bailed out from the station.”  He gestured towards the couches as he walked over.  “What brings you here?” he asked, sitting down.

Cheondoong nodded and sat down.  “Thank you for bailing us out that day… you really helped us out,” he said, as Hyunsik handed him a fruit.  He accepted it, a bit embarrassed.

Hyunsik waved his hand and dismissed it.  “Honestly, it just sort of happened that way,” he said, “I’m just glad things ended up working out.”

Cheondoong nodded as he set the fruit down.  “I… I heard about Joonie-hyung’s job,” he said.

Hyunsik sighed and said, “Yes, I’m still working on that.”

“Actually,” Cheondoong said, “I wanted to talk to you about that.”  He shifted in his seat nervously.  “For the past few months, we’ve all depended on Joonie-hyung’s income to help pay for things.  I’ve always felt bad about that but I didn’t do anything about it.  Now… with things the way they are…” he paused and sighed, “I want to help.  But… I’m only a high school student.  I can’t make any good money with part-time jobs so…”

“So you want to try your luck in the entertainment business?” Hyunsik guessed, surprised.  He adjusted his glasses as Cheondoong nodded.  He considered the idea before he asked, “Are you sure about this?”  He sighed and said, “The entertainment industry isn’t as easy as you’d think.  It’s a lot of long hours and hard work-”

“I can do it,” Cheondoong said firmly, “I can do it.  If you give me a chance, I can definitely do it.”

Hyunsik looked at him long and hard before his expression lightened considerably.  “Well, you definitely have the height and the looks,” he said, “Any other talents I should know about?”

Taken aback, Cheondoong blinked in surprise.  “Um…” he said, his mind scrambling to try and think of something, “I…”

A knock on the door interrupted them.  The receptionist peeked inside again and said, “Mun-bujangnim, Kim-sajangnim is here to see you.”

“Ah,” Hyunsik said, his eyes lighting up with something devious, “Perfect.”  He turned to Cheondoong and said, “Cheondoong-shi, leave your contact information.  I’ll give you a call in a couple of days.  If things go well…”  Without saying another word, Hyunsik gestured to the door with a smile.

Cheondoong blinked as he stood.  “Okay,” he said, puzzled by Hyunsik’s behaviour.  Bowing, he said, “Thank you for taking the time to see me.”  Bowing again, he stepped out of the office as the receptionist ushered another man inside.

The man, an older gentleman with a greying beard and pot belly, glanced at him with a raised eyebrow before stepping inside the office and closing the door behind him.

Sighing in relief that he’d successfully met with Hyunsik, Cheondoong followed the receptionist out to the front.  Leaving his contact information with her, he pushed through the front doors and stepped out onto the street.

Taking a deep breath, he felt the weight lift from his shoulders.  Mun Hyunsik seemed like a good man; he had given them so much help after all.  Now, all Cheondoong had to do was wait for his call…


Author's note:

Slower updates recently; still feeling a bit of a writer's block.  Working to get over it!  Stay tuned!