Ch 70 - Relief

Love Me

She was silent the entire trip to the hospital and that made Cheondoong even more nervous.  As the cab slowed outside of the hospital, Cheondoong pulled out a few bills and gave it to the driver in a hurry.  As he climbed out, he heard the driver mutter something about high school students but he was too much in a hurry to care.

Running through the front door to the main entrance, he panted slightly when he spotted Soyun standing by the receptionist looking around.

“Yah!” he called, rushing over, “Soyun-ah!” 

“Oh geez,” she said, her eyes bugging out of her skull as she took in the baby’s towel-wrapped state, “I said blankets, not bath towels!”  Taking the baby from his hands, she cooed and rocked her gently in her arms.  “Oh,” she said, looking down at the baby, “She looks miserable.”

Panting, Cheondoong doubled over and tried to catch his breath.  He held up a hand and asked, “Which way?”

Soyun turned to the receptionist, who was staring at Cheondoong with large eyes and a severe blush on her face.  “Excuse me,” Soyun said, “This baby has a fever; where is the pediatric ward?”

“Eh?” the receptionist jumped, startled that Soyun was talking to her, “Ah, it’s that way.”  She pointed to her left, her eyes flickering back to Cheondoong again before her eyes drifted all the way down to his feet and then back up again.

“Thanks,” Soyun said, turning and running towards the direction she’d pointed.

Cheondoong followed her, his forehead covered with a thin layer of sweat.  He kept trying to peek at the baby as they ran; her ears were still flaming red.  Entering the pediatric ward, Soyun walked up to the receptionist of the department and asked, “Is there an available pediatrician?  This baby has a high fever and hasn’t eaten properly in days.”

The receptionist looked up alarmed and stood from her seat.  “I’ll call Doctor Im for you right away,” she said before hurrying off to find the pediatrician.  She returned in less than a minute with a young doctor, whose brows were creased with worry.

“I’m Doctor Im Minki,” the doctor said, looking at the two of them, “The baby has a fever?  How long has she had it?”  He reached out and scooped the baby from Soyun’s arms and peered at her face.

“Um,” Cheondoong said, “I noticed it about twenty minutes ago?  She’d been crying for over an hour and nothing worked.  She was born only a few days ago and hasn’t been eating properly since we took her home.  She throws up most of what she eats…”

“I see,” the doctor said, “Follow me please.”  Turning, he led them further inside the ward into a small examination room.  Gently, he set the baby down onto the examination bed and took out a few of his instruments. 

As he examined the baby, Cheondoong looked over the doctor’s shoulder nervously.  Occasionally, he glanced at Soyun, who seemed equally nervous as she stared at the baby.  The examination took only a few minutes, but it felt like forever for the two as they waited for the doctor’s verdict.

Turning around, the doctor gave them a reassuring smile and said, “The baby does have a fever but it’s not high enough to be alarmed.  It seems to be the result of her malnutrition.  You said she isn’t eating properly; that’s a bigger concern in my opinion.  Not getting enough nutrients, especially at this stage will impede her growth in her later years.”  He turned to Soyun and asked, “Are you the mother?”

Startled, Soyun shook her head.  “No,” she said in unison with Cheondoong.  The two of them looked at each other before turning back to the doctor.

“And the father…?” the doctor asked, raising an eyebrow and looking at Cheondoong.

“No,” the two said again in unison, causing the doctor to blink.

“It’s,” Cheondoong said, frowning, “It’s a long story.  In a nutshell, the baby doesn’t have access to her mother’s milk because of the mother’s condition but she’s not taking in any of the formulas we’ve tried to give her so far.  Is she possibly allergic to something?”

“Hmm,” the doctor said, “Have you seen any signs of a rash?  Or any kind of skin reaction?  Most baby formulas are hypoallergenic so it shouldn’t be an allergic reaction.”

Cheondoong shook his head and said, “She hasn’t had any rashes.  Nothing abnormal other than the throwing up.”

“It’s possible she has a poorly developed digestive tract,” the doctor said, “I can prescribe you some medication that should ease the stomach.  Put some in her formula the next time you feed her.”  With a nod, he wrote up a prescription and handed over to Cheondoong.  “Even though this medication should help, it’s still best for newborn babies to feed on their mother’s milk,” the doctor said, “I’m not familiar with the mother’s condition but if it improves, see if you can get the baby back on to feeding.  It will build her immunities and likely remove the throwing up completely.”

“Okay,” Cheondoong said, bowing to the doctor, “Thank you.”

“Here you are,” the doctor held the baby out to Soyun as he grabbed his prescription pad again, “The baby’s fever should die down naturally once she’s fed, but just in case, I’ll prescribe some fever medication for children that should help reduce her temperature.”  Handing the prescription to Cheondoong again, the doctor smiled and added, “It looks like you came in a hurry.  There’s a pharmacy in the hospital so you won’t have to go far to pick up the medication.” 

Cheondoong blinked at his comments before looking down at himself.  He barely held in a curse that sprung from his throat as he realized just why he had been getting so much attention on the way here.  In his panicked state, he had completely forgotten that he was shirtless underneath his blazer.  And to make matter’s worse, his blazer buttons had become undone in his struggle to hold onto a towel-wrapped baby.  His undressed state coupled with the photo shoot make up on his face had, no doubt, drew in a lot of embarrassing attention.

“Ah, thank you,” Cheondoong said quickly as he closed his blazer as tightly as it would wrap around his body.  Bowing quickly, he ushered Soyun out of the ward as he held on to his blazer with the other.

“I’m glad it’s nothing serious,” Soyun sighed, rocking the baby gently as they walked down the hall back towards the front entrance, “If the digestive medication doesn’t work, you’ll have to come back.”  She looked up at Cheondoong and raised her eyebrows. 

Cheondoong returned her look with a scowl and gripped his blazer tighter.  “I was in a hurry and-” he started but was cut off.

“I don’t want to know,” Soyun said, her lips curving into a smirk as she returned her gaze to the baby.  She cooed softly and brushed a few strands of hair from the baby’s forehead.  “But what’s the situation with this baby?” she asked, her voice hushed and soft, “You said this is your friend’s baby?” 

“It’s… complicated,” Cheondoong sighed and ran a hand through his hair, “My friend isn’t the father, but he’s taking care of the mother and the baby because… I don’t know.”  He sighed as a few nurses walked by them and stared at him with big eyes.  “I don’t know why he’s taking care of them,” he said, “He’s barely got enough money to take care of himself… that fool.”

“Is he interested in the mother?” Soyun asked, sitting down in one of the chairs in the lobby, “Maybe that’s why?”

Cheondoong shook his head and leaned his head back against the wall.  “I don’t know.  He’s… a nice kid but I don’t know what goes through his head sometimes,” he said, glancing at Soyun.  He watched as she smiled down at the baby and was suddenly very aware of his messed up appearance.  “Um,” he cleared his throat, suddenly nervous, “Thank you for coming… you know.”

Soyun looked up at him and gave him a smile.  “I was on my way to do some shopping anyways,” she said simply, “The baby’s adorable.”  She wagged a finger in front of the baby’s face and smiled when the baby wrapped her small fingers around her finger.  “What’s her name?” she asked, her gaze still fixed on the baby girl.

“Chohee,” Cheondoong replied, leaning over her shoulder and peeking down at the baby.  He smiled as Chohee looked at him and gave him a small giggle.

“Chohee…” Soyun said softly, poking the little girl’s cheeks.  Sighing, she looked up at Cheondoong, who quickly backed away and cleared his throat.  “You guys should get going,” she said, handing the baby over, “Make some formula with the digestive medication and see if it helps.”

“Right,” Cheondoong said, holding the baby in his arms.  His ears burned; if he hadn’t moved away when she’d looked up, their faces would’ve been only two inches away from each other.  Embarrassed and his heart racing oddly, Cheondoong stood and shifted Chohee’s weight in his arms.  “Thanks again for coming,” he said, giving her a smile, “I wasn’t sure who else to call.”

Soyun stood as well and straightened her jacket.  “I took care of Changwook when he was little so I’m at least somewhat familiar with kids,” she said, returning his smile, “It’s stranger for me to see you holding a baby, especially in your model clothes.”  She laughed as he cleared his throat in embarrassment.  “Your friend is kind for helping the baby and her mother,” she said softly, “I think it’s great that you’re helping your friend.” 

Cheondoong could feel warmth in his neck and cheeks as she gave him another smile.  Despite her casual clothing and pulled up hair, she looked radiant.  It had been a while since he’d felt a stirring in his stomach.  The last time he had seen her face to face, he was still reeling from his mother’s funeral and she had been upset over Joon’s identity.  Speaking of…

“You… you saw the news right?” Cheondoong asked tentatively, “About the CEO’s response to Joonie-hyung’s DNA request…”  The last time they’d spoken, Joon had just announced his intention to get a DNA request.  Cheondoong was worried about Changwook, especially now that Song Bangna had agreed.

Soyun sighed and nodded.  “Changwook found out about everything shortly after the last time we spoke,” she said softly, “He puts on a brave face but I know he’s rattled.  It isn’t the first time he’s had to go through this but because it’s Lee Joon-shi this time, he’s…”

“Mm,” Cheondoong said, nodding, “I understand.  He’s been really fond of Joonie-hyung since the amusement park incident.”

“Yeah,” Soyun said, standing, “He’s strong but it still worries me.”  Shifting her purse on her shoulder, she smiled at the baby as Cheondoong stood.  “Well, time for me to get back to groceries,” she said, wagging her finger at the baby again, “It was nice meeting you, Chohee-yah.”

“Thanks again,” Cheondoong said sheepishly as he gave her a small smile, “I owe you.”

“Not really,” Soyun said, “But I’ll take it.” 

To Cheondoong’s surprise, she reached over the baby and took a hold of his blazer.  With an exasperated sigh, she tightened it for him before waving  and walking off towards the door.  His heart racing quickly at the unexpected gesture, he cleared his throat and looked down at the baby.  “She’s pretty, isn’t she?” he murmured as he tucked her further into the towels, “What do you think?  Should I go for it?”  When all he got in return was a soft coo, he sighed and walked towards the front door.

He paused however, as a familiar woman walked past him and towards the front reception.  He blinked and turned to get a better look.  Frowning, he watched one of the men following her lend her a hand as they reached the reception.  She seemed to have difficulties standing up and seemed to be extremely exhausted as the approached the desk.

Raising an eyebrow, Cheondoong turned around and walked out to the curb.  As he hailed a taxi, he frowned and patted the baby absentmindedly.  He was sure it was her… but, why would she look like that?  Why would Song Bangna be at a hospital looking as if she was ready to collapse?


A thick silence filled the air as Seungho sat on a chair across from his mother.  Joon stood behind him, his head bowed and his fingers tightened into a nervous fist.  His mother sat tall in her chair as she looked at her surroundings with pursed lips.

Seungho felt slivers of anxiety in his stomach; he had never in his wildest dreams expected his mother to suddenly pay him a visit.  Sure, he had neglected visiting home the past year but he had thought they were satisfied with his excuses, even if he thought they were a little farfetched himself.  They had never said a word of complaint and had let him have his freedom as usual.  So why now…?

His mother turned her gaze back to him and looked at him silently.  He knew better than to poke the tighter; it was smarter to let her talk first.  Her gaze shifted towards Joon, who was determined to keep his eyes on the floor and his lip tightly between his teeth as if he was being stared down by Medusa.

“This is your new place?” his mother asked, her voice soft and low, “Why did you tell me you’d moved out of the agency?”

“Things happened too quickly,” Seungho said, his heart thudding in his chest, “I hadn’t had time yet.”

“I see,” his mother said, nodding, “And this is your friend?”  She settled her penetrating gaze on Joon’s face.

Seungho felt his stomach twist.  He hadn’t told a single person in his family about his relationship with Joon, only that he was joining a top talent agency because of a friend’s recommendation.  “That…” he said, unsure if he should reveal his relationship now.  He still had no idea why she had visited; was it necessary to add fuel to the fire?

“I saw your picture in the paper,” his mother said, pulling out a folded newspaper from her purse.  With thin lips, she handed him the paper and narrowed her eyes.

Seungho frowned and looked at the picture; it was one of the night he and Joon were caught outside of their dorm.  It was the same night that Joon had announced his intention to take the DNA test…

“I’d like a word with you alone,” she said, her gaze flickering to Joon briefly before settling back on him.

Containing all of his anxiety, Seungho turned to Joon, who quickly nodded and slipped on his shoes.  Giving his mother a quick bow, Joon walked outside and closed the door behind him with a soft click.  Turning back to his mother, Seungho took an inaudible breath and braced himself.  Whatever the reason for her visit, it wasn’t likely to be pleasant.

After a long moment of silence, his mother sighed and softened her gaze.  “Seungho-yah… I’m worried about you,” she said softly, “You know that right?”

“I know,” Seungho said cautiously.

“We’ve always let you do what you thought was right.  We trust you and know you can take care of yourself,” she said, scooting her chair forward until she could reach out and take his hand, “Your father is extremely worried to see you in the paper with Lee Joon-shi.  We’re worried that you’ll get pulled into something that has nothing to do with you-”

“I know what I’m getting into,” Seungho said, frowning, “You said yourself that you trust me so-”

“I don’t have a problem with you being friends with Lee Joon-shi,” his mother interrupted again, “But I don’t want you to live in the same house as him while all of this identity stuff is going on.  There will be swarms of paparazzi, not to mention this situation can be potentially dangerous-”

“Omma,” Seungho said, starting to feel his irritation rise, “I’m not going to leave Joon on his own-”

“You can still be his friend if you don’t live with him,” his mother said, her nostrils flaring, “You silly boy.  You’ll understand where we’re coming from when you’re older-”

Seungho sighed in frustration as he pulled his hand away and stood.  It was always like this; in her haste to protect him, she alienated him from the people that he’d cared about.  It was the same at the time with Dara.  She had expressed concern and dislike over her age and family situation.  Although Seungho had won that battle by being more stubborn, he knew it wasn’t going to work this time around.  There was no way she was going to accept her son as a homoual no matter how he sliced it so why hide it anymore?  If the end result was going to be the same…

“He’s not just a friend,” he said quietly, “Lee Joon is much more than a friend to me.”  Despite his determination, he was shaking like a newborn on the inside.  His family had never doubted him and was a strong supporter in all of his decisions.  Even when he announced his entry into a talent agency, his parents had trusted him enough to maintain his studies and gave him his support.  But this time…

His mother narrowed her eyes and stood as well.  With heels, she was almost the same height as him but her stature was much more intimidating.  “You don’t mean that,” she said quietly, her eyes steely, “Lee Joon is just a friend to you, do you hear me?”

“Omma-” Seungho started but was cut off again as his mother spoke.

“He is nothing more than a friend, no… an acquaintance, to you,” she said in an almost snarl, “And don’t you forget that, you foolish boy.”

“You know that’s not true,” he said softly.  His mother knew… how he wasn’t sure.  Perhaps it was her woman’s intuition?  Or her motherly instincts?  Regardless, it was clear now the message she was sending.  She could not allow it, would not allow her son to be in a romantic relationship with another man.  

“What do you think your father will say?” she asked, her face softening, “And your brother… what about him?”

“What about them?” Seungho asked, frowning, “Is it so shameful to have a homoual in the family?  What’s wrong with-”

“Don’t!” his mother screeched all of a sudden, her eyes lit up with fire, “Don’t say that word!  You are not one and you will never be one!”  Her voice broke as she gripped her purse with her fingers.  “You are my son, and I raised you to be a man,” she said, her voice heartbroken, “Please, Seungho-yah, wake up from this… this illusion he’s got you under and clear your head!”

Seungho felt his chest tighten as he stared back at his mother.  He was furious at her words but, somewhere deep inside of his heart, he could understand her terror.  Never once had he shocked his family like now so it was much more devastating for them than it should have been.  He himself had struggled for so long with his ual orientation… did he really expect them to understand and welcome him with open arms?

“Come home,” she whispered, reaching out and grabbing his hand with her shaking ones, “Seungho-yah, come back home…!”  Her voice was urgent, almost pleading as she stared into his eyes.  She gripped his hands tightly, her fingers shaking as she tried to control her emotions.

For a fleeting moment, Seungho wanted to say yes.  He wanted to put her fears to rest, to hug this woman who had loved him since before he was born and who will probably continue to love him even if she could never accept him.  He thought about his father, who he remembered as a strict but understanding role model.  He remembered his rowdy younger brother, who was finishing up high school… what impact would this have on him?

But heavier still, in his heart, was Joon.  The person who had shaken the very foundation of his beliefs and showed him what it really was to love someone.  It wasn’t about what Joon did for him, but who he was when he was around Joon.  He loved how Joon made him feel… and it was something he would never be able to deny.

“I’m sorry,” he said softly as he squeezed her hand, “This… this is who I am.”  Tears stung his eyes as his mother’s expression crumbled.  “I’m… not sorry about who I am,” he whispered, “But I’m so sorry for putting you through this… I’m sorry…”

His mother gazed at him with tear filled eyes for what felt like forever before she released his hand and took a step back.  “You fool,” she murmured, taking out a handkerchief and dabbing her eyes, “Don’t come home for a while.”

Seungho felt his stomach drop at her words.  He knew it would be hard, but he hadn’t expected to be banned from his home.

“I…” his mother said, sniffling and looking up with regained composure, “I will talk to your father.”  Her face softening, she reached forward and cupped his face with her cold hands.  “I love you, even if I disagree with you,” she said, brushing a thumb on his cheek, “I will never stop praying that you will return to normal… but for now, just be safe.”  Releasing him, she straightened her shoulders and walked out the door.

Seungho stared after her, surprised and heartbroken.  He hadn’t expected her to say those things and for that, he felt sorry.  He should’ve had more faith in her.  Although she was far from accepting him, she wasn’t going to let that stop her from loving him.  

He felt relief seep into his legs, sending him crumbling back into the chair.  His heart raced in his chest as he reeled from the unexpected encounter.  For now, he didn’t have to worry too much about his family… for now anyways.


Author's notes:

I'm so sorry for the long wait!  I've been working so much on Captive (amongst dramas and anime) that I've been neglecting this!  I'll try and update more often!!  BTW, Seungho's mom... not quite what you expected right?