Tension Rises

Our Crazy Life and Work

Driving on her way to the airport, Marie let out a shaky sigh. *Why is he here? Why am I even here?* She let out a breath and kept her mind on the road.

“Flight 134 from New York.” Marie mumbled while eyeing the boarding flights. She looked down at her watch and found that is was already 9:40 in the morning. She turned to look around at the people, up to one specific person, who had his back facing her. She slowly made her way towards the person. “Jason?” she asked softly.

The person turned around and gasped, “Marie? Oh wow! You look amazing.” He ran up to her and pulled her in for a tight hug. “You look so beautiful! What happened to the baby girl you were?”

Marie chuckled and answered, “Well, she had to grow up. What happened to you? Where’s your nerdy look? You look so handsome and tall now.”

“Well, I had to work out.” Jason chuckled. “Wow, it’s been so long. I’ve missed you.” He pulled her in for another hug. After breaking the hug, Marie smiled and took his luggage. “Come on! I’ll drive you to the hotel.”

 

 

“I thought you didn’t have a car.” Jason remembered while sitting in the passenger’s seat.

“Is not my car. My co-worker let me borrow it for the morning.” Marie answered while looking at the road. Jason turned to her, admiring her style. Slowly, he spoke, “You’ve really changed.”

Marie smiled, “I’ve grown up. I’m not a little girl anymore.”

“I know, but… I meant, you’re not the same girl you were four years ago.”

At a red light, Marie looked at Jason and softly answered, “Well people change, Jason. All the time.”

Jason’s smile faded, “I guess…” he sighed. “So how’s work?” He asked, trying to change the subject.

Marie sighed, “Jason…”

“Marie, we’ve talked about this before. Don’t bring it up, please.”

“What about her? What about her pain? Do you think is that easy?”

Jason stood quiet in his seat, avoiding her eyes. Marie took a breath and spoke, “Why are you here Jason? Why show up all the sudden?”

Jason turned to her and replied, “Can we meet up tonight? I would love to talk to you.”

She sighed and nodded, “There’s a sea food restaurant near your hotel. Let’s meet at seven.”

“Okay…” He answered.

 

Marie parked the car in front of the hotel and helped Jason with his luggage. “Well I have to go back. I’ll see you tonight.” Marie confirmed. Jason pulled her in for one last hug and whispered on her ear, “Thank you for sticking by my side all these years.” Marie broke the hug and with a small smile she nodded.

 

 

After returning the car keys to Junga, Marie made her way to EXO, where Cathy was working. She opened the door and found Kyuhyun already inside talking to Kris. Without causing too much attention, Kyuhyun secretly smiled at her, just as she returned a wink.

“Where were you?” Cathy interrogated.

“I was just running some errands.” Marie answered.

“Who are you working with today?” Kris asked, filling up for Kyuhyun. Marie smiled and whispered, “For one ‘Baby Maknae’ and his clan.”

Kyuhyun chuckled, and before leaving to Super Junior, he whispered to Marie, “Well this ‘Baby Maknae’ will be waiting for you. Let’s go to dinner tonight.”

Marie’s smiled faded and quickly tried to cover, “Oh uh, I can’t. I have plans already. How about tomorrow?”

Curiously, Kyuhyun nodded, “Okay, I’ll see you later then.” Leaving towards Super Junior.

Marie turned to Cathy and asked, “Are you and Kris going out tonight?”

“Yeah, why?”

Marie shook her head, “No reason.”

Cathy eyed her suspiciously, “What are you doing tonight?”

“I have some business to take care of.”

“What business?”

Marie looked at Cathy and answered, “Just some business. Well I got to go.” She walked away, leaving Cathy with a frown.

 

 

Before Marie could enter Super Junior’s practice room, Junga grabbed her arm and pulled her away, somewhere private. “Junga-shi, what’s wrong?” Marie asked with a weird expression.

Junga took Marie’s hand and placed a man’s bracelet on her palm. “This was found on my car. Marie, where you with someone?”

Marie’s eyes widened as she saw the bracelet.

“Are you cheating on Kyuhyun?” Junga interrogated. Marie turned quickly to Junga in disbelieve.

“Just because I’m always low-profile, doesn’t mean that I don’t know things. Even if you two are keeping it a secret, I know about it. But before you could say anything… I won’t say a word.”

Marie stuttered, “J-Junga-shi, I’m not cheating on Kyuhyun.”

“Then why did I find this on my car?”

Marie sighed and replied, “I went to the airport to get a friend.”

“A friend?” Junga raised her eyebrow.

“His an old friend.”

Junga softened, “Oh, but why is he here?”

“That’s what I’m finding out tonight.”

“Well, be careful. And I’m very sorry for coming at you like this.”

Marie smiled, shooking her head, “It’s alright.”

“By the way Marie, congratulations for you and Kyuhyun.”

“Thank you.” Marie did a little bow and walked down the hallway towards Super Junior.

 

Marie opened the practice room door and greeted Super Junior. “Hey guys.” She noticed a blushing Kyuhyun and got curious. “What’s going on?”

Super Junior turned towards Marie with wide smiles. “Marie and Kyuhyun, sitting in the tree~”

Marie face palmed herself, “Really guys?”

“Guys, let’s stop.” Leeteuk ordered. After a couple of seconds of silence, Leeteuk blurted out, “K-I-S-S-I-N-G~”, earning laughs from the members, a blush from the male target and giggles from Marie.

“Aww… look at Kyuhyun, he’s so shy.” Eunhyuk teased. Kyuhyun tired to cover himself, but Ryeowook stopped him, “No, you tease us when we get girlfriends, now it’s our turn.”

Marie looked at Kyuhyun and turned her gaze to Ryeowook. *Do they know?* Kyuhyun looked at her, trying to make her understand the message. “What? You think we wouldn’t find out?” Donghae stated.

Kyuhyun’s eyes widened while Marie blushed. “Wait… h-how did you-“

“No one told Kyuhyun to leave his phone unattended.” Yesung confessed.

“Oh, so now you’re all being nosey?” Marie teased.

“Not only nosey, but also annoying.” Kyuhyun said under his breath.

“Well that’s what you get for not telling us. You’ve been together for over a month already and you guys haven’t told us yet.” Shingdong fought.

Kyuhyun looked down while Marie looked around innocently, “Oh look at the pretty bird.” She joked while pointing at nothing. Donghea and Eunhyuk looked around at the direction she pointed. “Where?” They asked in union.

Marie turned to them with a weird look, “Really?”

 

“ ‘I love you, sweetie.’”

“‘Goodnight, my Koala Bear.’”

Ryeowook and Kangin imitated the conversation Marie and Kyuhyun had over text messages. Marie’s and Kyuhyun’s eyes widened as they began to run the two jokers around, making the rest of the members laugh.

 

 

Getting out of the bus to meet Jason, Marie walked down the sidewalk and entered the restaurant. She found Jason already sitting down at a table. After sighing, she made her way towards him. “I’m so glad you came.” He admitted. “Should we order?”

She nodded and let him order for her. While waiting for the food, she spoke, “Jas, why are you here in Korea?”

He looked at her and pleaded, “Before you can argue with me, please hear the reason.”

Marie took a moment, just analyzing his face, slowly she nodded.

“I am here, to make things right. I went back to Florida, to find you girls, but Nana told me the news. So a booked a flight to come here and find you girls.”

“You said that you came here to make things right. What did you mean?”

Jason took a deep breath before confessing, “Please don’t hate me after this Marie… I’m fighting for Cathy’s heart.”

Marie’s eyes widened, just as her breath got caught on , “W-what?”

“I’m here to get Cathy back.” He repeated.

“Jason, you can’t.”

“Why not? Marie, I made a mistake. And thanks to that mistake, it made me realize how much I love her. I need her Marie.”

“Jason, I’m sorry but I don’t think is a good idea.”

“Why not? If it’s because you think she’s mad at  me, I can work it out.”

“It’s not that. You just can-“

“Why not?”

“Because-“

“Marie, I love he-“

“But she doesn’t love you!”

Marie’s shout made people around her table look at her. She apologized and turned back to Jason, “I’m sorry, but I’ve been trying to tell you. She’s happy, Jason. She finally has light in her heart again.”

“What do you mean?”

“She found someone who loves her more than you can imagine.”

Jason looked around nervously, trying to cover his watery eyes, “I-I’m… No, I’m not giving up.”

“Jason, don’t do this. You can’t do this to her.”

“But is not fair! I was first, I loved her first.”

“Just as you left her first?”

Jason looked at her in disbelieve, “You know why.”

“Yes, just like I know how stupid the reason was. You left her Jason, and right after she told you how much she loved you. And not only that. You also went and sle-“

“I’m sorry.” He responded with tearing eyes.

“Don’t you dare say you’re sorry now! You should’ve done that four years ago, the minute you ignored her feelings.”

“I did have feelings for her!”

“Then why didn’t you show it? You just left telling me that you were confused. How do you think she felt after she woke up that day, only to find the news that you left without any explanation. Not only hurting her, but also Bryan. Your own brother! When a year later he died and you didn’t even have the guts to show up to his funeral. Or your mother, who has been thinking for this past years that she, has never been a responsible parent. I’m sick and tired of this, Jason. I’ve been lying for you all this years. What do you think they will do when they find out the truth? Do you really think they will just forgive and forget that easy?” Marie expressed with tears rolling down her cheeks.

Jason didn’t sustain them either. After whipping his tears, he spoke, “I… I can make it work.”

“No Jason! That’s enough. I’m not putting up with this anymore. It’s not fair for your mother and it’s certainly not fair for Cathy. You know what she’s been doing all these years?” Marie chuckled bitterly, “She’s been trying to make me happy. Me! She thinks that I can’t see it. But I know her too well. All the pain she’s sustained for these past years, she’s been hiding it, only making be in more pain. You don’t deserve her Jason. Not anymore.”

Jason glared, “So now what? Just leave and let her go? I’m not doing that. I made a mistake, and I’m not leaving until I fix it.”

“Once a mistake, always a mistake. You can’t fix what you’ve already done.”

“But I can ask for a chance. Marie, please, let me talk to her.”

“You’re not taking her away from Kris.”

“Kris?”

They stopped for a moment once the waitress came with their food. After she left, they continued. “Jason, I love you. Since little, you and Bryan had always been there for us. But Cathy is involved in this, and I’m not letting you ruin her happiness.”

Jason looked at her and frowned, “Talking about love and happiness? How would you know? Your only love and happiness died three years ago.”

Marie’s eyes widened in shock as he continued, “Oh, but let me guess, you found someone yourself.”

Marie stood silent as he glared, “! What about Bryan? What if he was alive an-“

“But he’s not! And don’t come at me with Bryan just to find a way out of this.”

Jason ruffled his hair in frustration and murmured, “I’m sorry, is just that-“

Marie took a deep breath and placed her hands on top of his, “Look at me.”

He looked up and met her eyes.

“Jason please, just think about this conversation before you do anything. I beg you.”

Jason softened, “Alright. Let’s just finish eating.”

Marie nodded as he whispered, “You really have grown up.” After a moment of silence, she began eating.

 

 

Throughout this conversation, Marie didn’t notice someone’s eyes on them. *Who is he? And more importantly, why did she lied to Kyuhyun?* These thoughts appeared in Sungmin’s head while walking back to his dorm.

 

 

Hey guys! Just want to say thank you for your comments and for the support. IAmLeNinja and Me are very happy to see that you guys like it! Thank you!! xD