Forty

Stranger No More

 


Hyukjae's POV



I couldn’t control my heart from clenching nor the heavy lump in my throat as i watched Donghae drift asleep.



Wanting to maintain some sort of contact with him I reached over and his hair and the side of his face.



Despite all that I had hidden from him, and how he had gotten into the accident because of me, it had been me that he is worried about.



What had I done to deserve this precious man?



I had expected him to be afraid after learning of past.



I had expected him to be angry after knowing the reason behind his accident.



But he had cried. He had cried out of his worry for me. It was as if... As if he was glad that he was the one injured instead of me.



My silly baby.

 

I had been the one that got you into this state…

 

I began to recall how everything started.

 

Teuk and Kyu were the only ones who started to find out that I have been having more and more interests in Donghae's life.   Interest that I never had intention to pursue any further.

 

When my interest in Donghae started to become more transparent, Eunhyuk’s life started moving towards a downward spiral as he started drinking and later tried drugs. But at least there was Teuk around to keep him in control.

 

However, I soon realised that the information that I had been getting from Teuk of Eunhyuk were getting less and less frequent and more and more vague. That was when I knew, Teuk was suspecting me.

 

Teuk had thought that I had been the one to lead Eunhyuk astray. All because of my vested interest in Donghae.

 

That was the root of why we eventually fell out.

 

Teuk decided that he would work for Eunhyuk from then and I had let him left the organization.

 

Both Kyu and I were far too disheartened that it ended up that way despite our explanations.

 

Little did we know that we had been played out, until it was far too late.

 

Kyu and I began to suspect that something fishy is going on.

 

How would anyone other than Kyu and Teuk knew about my interest in Donghae.

 

We started being careful whenever we spoke and started searching everywhere and found hearing bugs all over the place.

 

Someone is spying on us.

 

On me.

 

Kyu started finding out more clues on who the spy could be. But I already had an idea on who might be targeting me.

 

Heechul.

 

I knew he never liked me ever since i joined the organization.

 

We were too different in our ways of handling things. Which was also why Grandfather had decided to pass the business over to me instead of his own biological grandson.

 

They never had to leave. I never wanted them to but at the time I had guessed that it had been his pride that made him unable to work under me.

 

We had thought he had merely gone away to start afresh.

 

But he had been plotting.

 

In order to make me lose trust and respect with those around me, he started sowing discord between our tight brotherhood.

 

And he had succeeded when Teuk left us.

 

Things escalated to beyond repair when Hangeng was found out as the spy. He had suddenly disappeared once he knew he was suspected and we later received news that he had died while escaping.

 

Heechul’s madness began from them as he tried to send people after me. For Hangeng had been his lover. A fact that we had never known before.

 

Heechul had wanted to kill me to revenge Hangeng.

 

So when Eunhyuk had tragically died in the car crash, Kyu had immediately switched our identities thinking that Heechul would give up now since he had his revenge.

 

Kyu had found a place for us to start all over again but I had insisted in coming to Seoul to fulfil Eunhyuk’s unfinished business. And selfishly, to finally have a chance with Donghae.

 

But look what I have gotten him into.

 

If it wasn’t for Teuk who found out about Heechul’s real plan and came back to warn and help us, I wouldn’t have realised that Donghae had been in danger. And if Kyuhyun hadn’t been around him when the accident happened, worst could have happened.

 

My heart clenched painfully as I stared at his peaceful sleeping face.

 

From now on, I will make everything right.

 

I will make Heechul pay for all these.

 

---

Sungmin's POV



I stared at the walls straight ahead as I rested myself in the guestroom of Eunhyuk's -  no -  Hyukjae's house.



Kyuhyun had insisted that i moved in for the time being, at least until my leg is fully recovered and i had agreed.



I had also wanted to keep an eye on Donghae because i knew from the way the accident happened no way is it an unintentional accident.



And as i slowly listened as Kyuhyun told me about their past, what they really did back then and why there are people targeting Donghae now, i couldn’t help but just be numb by shocked.



Donghae... What had you gotten yourself into.



'Min...'



'Hang on. I need time to digest all of these.' I muttered.



I felt the bed dipped and saw him sat on the bed. He hesitantly reached his arms around me and seeing that i had no intention of rejecting him, gathered me gently into his arms. Into his warm embrace.



I had to admit. It really felt good to rest in his arms. Inhaling his scent, feeling his strong and sometimes not so steady heartbeat.



'What is going to happen now Kyu...' I said softly.



'The people you saw outside the house just now? They are all our people. Everyone is safe here.' He answered as he propped his chin on top of my head and leaned back on the bed.



'Mafia you mean.' I chuckled lowly.



'You seem to accept the idea rather well. Min i didn’t know you were this . Now i am shocked.' He laughed as I smacked his arm lightly.



I wondered what got into me but ever since the accident i had been secretly thankful that he seldom leave my side.

 

I had also unknowingly been relying more and more on him, wanting to be with him more and more.



Wordlessly i tried grabbing his hand hesitantly and he quickly held on tight to mine.



Quiet comfortable moments passed with him just holding me with our hands linked before i asked him again.



'Hae will be okay right?'



'Yes. Hyuk will make sure of that.'



I worried my lips together as i build up courage for the next question.



'Kyu?'



'Min?'



'You... You will be okay right?'



I felt him tightened his hold around me as he tilted my head up.



'Are you worried Min?'



Was it my imagination or is his face indeed that close to mine.



I swallowed dryly. Feeling my heart rate increased.



'Hmm?' He prompted softly.



I nodded.



'Then for you… I will make sure I will be fine.'



And his lips pressed gently onto mine.

 

I might have as well imagined that moment because once his lips touched mine he pulled away and pressed my head onto his chest.

 

We continue to lay there in the sudden awkward silence as I tried my hardest not to lean up to get him to kiss me again.

---