Thirty Nine

Stranger No More

 

Donghae’s POV

 

Hyukjae was sleeping on his side staring at me when I wake up.

 

‘How are you feeling?’ He asked softly.

 

Pain.

 

‘I’m hungry.’

 

He turned over and pressed a button on the phone to intercom with whoever it was, I don’t even know who else is in the house anymore.

 

‘Get us some food.’ He ordered. And turned back to me again.

 

‘Do you need more painkillers? I will get them for you.’

 

Yes. I really need them.

 

But I need to talk to him more. The pills would only make me drowsy.

 

I shook my head at him, ‘Hyukkie… I know something is going on. I saw how you would tense up whenever Kyu came to whisper to you in the hospital. You always come back to me later looking all dark and angry. What’s going on?’

 

He continued to look at me, his hand move up to cup my face, his gaze soft and tender.

 

‘Whatever it is, I can handle it. Let me deal this together with you Hyukkie.’

 

‘Tell me you love me again, Hae.’

 

My eyes widened slightly at that. Ever since I first woke up in the hospital and confessed to him, I had never done so again.

 

I had wanted that to be special. Not in such a way. But when I first woke up I had blurted it out carelessly. At that time I just didn’t use my head at all for I was suddenly so afraid that I wouldn’t have the chance to tell him if I don’t do it then.

 

‘Don’t you mean it the other time?’

 

‘W-what?’

 

‘Why can’t you say it to me anymore?’

 

I could see him starting to withdraw himself slowly and I immediately grabbed his hand and whimpered at the pain in my ribs when I did so.

 

He gasped as his hand came to rest gently on my chest, ‘What are you doing Hae. Don’t move!’

 

Ignoring the pain in my ribs as best as I could, I grabbed his hand and looked into his eyes.

 

‘I love you Hyukkie. Of course I love you. Please don’t doubt me.’

 

He leaned forward and cupped my face with both hands. Wiping the tears which I didn’t realize I had from my face.

 

‘I-I just wanted to save the words for a special moment. B-but I actually blurted it out so carelessly in the hospital… I’m sorry Hyukkie…’ I muttered softly as the pain in my ribs slowly reduced to a dull ache.

 

‘Damn it Hae. Why are you so silly? You have no idea how I have been longing to hear those words from you all this while. I had thought I would never hear it from you.’ Tears were welling up in his eyes as well.

 

He pressed his lips on mine softly, ‘I love you so ing much Donghae. I can only love you more each day. So much so that it actually hurts when the words never came back to me.’

 

‘Hyukkie…’

 

He palmed his hand over his face and wiped his tears away.

 

‘Donghae. I will always be your Hyukkie no matter what. Just trust in me.’

 

I nodded at him as a lump suddenly formed at my throat upon his words.

 

‘But Hae…I have to tell you something.’ He looked away briefly before he turned back to me again.

 

‘My Grandfather… he had built an organization which was originally set to be passed to his biological Grandson, Heechul, before I joined. This organization gave me a family. I have brothers like Teuk and Kyu and the others who will die for me without any thought if need be. Grandfather passed this organization to me before he passed away. But Heechul couldn’t take this down and started to target me. At first it had been minor attacks like spreading rumors, then he started to sow discord between Teuk and us, and then… things happened and… he wanted me dead. At least that was what we thought. And that was why when the accident happened, Kyu switched Eunhyuk and my identity thinking that they would give up once they realized I was dead…’

 

I gasped loudly as the information slowly sank into me and when I put two and two together…

 

‘You are… in the…’

 

‘Yes. I am in the mafia. Are you afraid of me now Hae?’

 

I looked at Hyukjae. No… This is the man I love.

 

I would never be afraid of him. No matter what.

 

But still…

 

‘This is just too much of a shock to me right now…’ I answered quietly.

 

‘Hae… I’m really sorry. But the reason why you are in this state right now is because of me. To them, it would be too easy if I die just like that. They wanted to see me suffering by harming those around me.’

 

‘Why do they want to do that?’

 

‘They wanted revenge for not getting the organization. They had the idea that if it weren’t for me, they wouldn’t have to leave the organization. Ideas that Heechul had planted in their heads.’

 

‘So are you still in danger Hyukkie?’

 

He looked at me with disbelieving eyes.

 

‘Are you worrying about me Donghae?’

 

‘Yes of course! I don’t want anything to happen to you! How can I keep you safe Hyukkie? Maybe we should run away. Maybe-’

 

‘Don’t move!’

 

Hyukjae stilled my actions as I was suddenly assaulted with sharp pains in my ribs. I didn’t even realize that I had tried to get up from the bed out of the agitation I felt.

 

How could anyone harm my Hyukkie like that?

 

How could they?

 

Life had been unfair to him enough.

 

‘Don’t move please. I will get you the painkillers.’

 

He rushed over to the table side and grabbed the pills and guided them to my mouth.

 

‘I don’t want to sleep just yet Hyukkie… Don’t leave me now. I’m scared.’

 

‘I won’t leave you Hae. Never.’ He whispered fiercely.

 

‘Please be safe… Please…’

 

The painkillers were soon taking its effect on me as my eyelids felt heavy and I shut them closed.

 

---

A/N: New fic. Do support *bows* --> Shadow of You