Thirty Eight

Stranger No More

 

Sungmin’s POV

 

As best as I could, I inched towards Kyuhyun.

 

Exactly what he meant by there are people after Donghae?

 

His eyes were disturbed and reflected his panic as he darted glances around the surroundings. Siwon was at his back, looking intently at him too.

 

Ah… Siwon.

 

That is the problem isn’t it?

 

Kyuhyun might not tell me the whole thing if Siwon is there.

 

Inhaling deeply, I deliberately made my clutch slipped as I fell face first to the ground. I quickly pushed my hand forward to break the fall.

 

Kyuhyun was immediately at my side, and before I knew what was happening, I found myself being lifted up into his arms as he quickly strolled away.

 

Siwon called out and tried following us.

 

‘Siwon… I need Kyu with me now.’ I whined softly.

 

Both his eyebrow were raised dramatically as he stared at the both of us. I felt the body holding me froze and Kyu was looking down at me, his face barely inches from mine.

 

‘My leg hurts… Kyu…’ I buried my face in the crook of Kyu’s neck.

 

‘Y-yeah… M-maybe you should go. I-I uhm… n-need to take care of my Min.’ Kyu said with a somewhat shaky voice as he started walking away.

 

My Min?

 

No…. My heart did not start racing wildly like a schoolgirl upon that. No.

 

Stop it.

 

Be still, my heart… Calm down.

 

It was just an act. An act.

 

‘Min?’

 

My head snapped up when I heard Kyu’s called out to me softly.

 

I hadn’t realized we were back in my ward already and I am still in his arms.

 

‘Uhm… You can let me down already.’ I said.

 

‘No.’

 

No? I looked at Kyu with my brows furrowed in confusion.

 

‘I like having you in my arms.’

 

I took in a short intake of breath upon his words and was suddenly speechless.

 

He moved to the bed swiftly and sat down on it, bringing me with him and so I ended up sitting on his lap.

 

My jaw dropped slightly as he pressed me closer to him. My heart beating wild and loud in my chest. Threatening to jump out from my throat any moment.

 

‘Kyu?’

 

‘Yes Minnie?’

 

My heart jumped at how right it felt to hear him calling me that.  

 

Enough of this nonsense. I should concentrate on what I wanted to know.

 

‘Tell me. Who is after Hae?’

 

‘One condition.’

 

I looked up to him. He looked serious and focused. I nodded.

 

‘You must not leave me. Even after what I am going to tell you. Promise me that.’

 

I must not have understood the extent of what is he asking. I must not have understood what kind of information he is going to tell me. I did not think about all that.

 

I merely agreed because, I think… I think I don’t want to leave him too.

 

‘Yes. I promise.’

 

---

 

Hyukjae’s POV

 

Today is the day that I’m bringing Donghae back home.

 

Finally.

 

‘Who are they Hyukkie? I have never seen them before.’

 

I bended towards Hae and spoke next to his ear, ‘They are the new guards that I employed.’

 

‘But why do we need new guards?’ Donghae asked.

 

Just then Kangin appeared from the side and quickly moved forward to open the front doors for us.

 

He nodded to me slightly as a signal that the house is clear for us to go in.

 

‘Just felt like I need to change the guards to people whom I know, that’s all Hae.’ I pushed the wheelchair that Donghae is on into the house.

 

Kangin followed us in and shut the door. Punching in codes into it as he did so.

 

I saw Donghae’s hand lifted up and I reach my hand over to grab it.

 

‘What’s wrong Hae?’

 

‘It’s so quiet. Where are the rest?’

 

‘I changed the maids too. I realized we have no need for them. No need to waste additional money on things like that right?’

 

‘But-‘

 

‘No buts Hae. You need your medicine and then you need to rest. Let me carry you up the stairs.’

 

He was staring at me with a slight frown but did not say any further as I scoped him up in my arms and walked up the stairs.

 

Kangin carried the wheelchair behind us up the stairs.

 

Donghae was looking at me questioningly and somewhat weirdly as I lay him on the bed and fed him the medicine afterwards.

 

His arm was still in a brace, so was his leg. And simple things like just moving about would cause him excruciating pain if not for the painkillers. The only side effect to that was that he would be extremely drowsy after that.

 

As much as I hate seeing him in such a state, I took much comfort in being able to take care of him, especially for him to rely so heavily on me.

 

I covered the duvets over him and watched as he slowly fell asleep before I left the room.

 

---

 

‘Boss… The rest of the members are here. We have increased the security in your house and in the office.’

 

‘If anything cropped up again this time. If I realized Hae is in any danger again, you guys know what will happen.’

 

Kangin bowed and nodded.

 

‘What else? I don’t have time. Make it short.’ I said.

 

‘Heechul’s people got clues that you are not Eunhyuk. The accident on Donghae was deliberate. They wanted him dead.’

 

My grip on the armrest of the chair tightened as anger filled me.

 

But I couldn’t do anything. I couldn’t do what i wished. It was Heechul we are talking about here.

 

I shut my eyes tight and saw images of a bandaged up Donghae on the hospital bed again. The heart monitor is the only indication that he is alive.

 

‘Boss… Hyuk?’

 

‘What?’ I snapped as my eyes shot opened.

 

‘We can just finish them off. Why are you letting them go time and time again?’

 

I sighed, ‘I can’t. Heechul was Grandfather’s biological grandson. I promised that no matter what he did, I wouldn’t hurt him.’

 

‘But he didn’t see it that way Hyuk. He had been targeting you ever since you took over Grandfather’s business. He has become even more cruel after that… that incident. This can’t go on. I’m afraid that more things would happen in the organization. More deaths…’ Kangin said in a rush as he started getting more agitated.

 

‘Stop that Kangin. I don’t need you to tell me all that. Get more people to come here. I need protection not just on Hae. But on Sungmin as well. Protect and watch over them 24/7. Be very vigilant get it.’

 

‘Yes I will make sure of that.’

 

Kangin bowed and started leaving.

 

‘Kangin?’

 

‘Yes Boss.’

 

‘Be careful yourself.’

 

A rare smile graced his face before he turned and left.

 

---