Sixteen

Stranger No More

 

I wondered aimlessly along the streets. Having no destination in mind and not wanting to return to the office.

 

It had been a bad lunch. A disastrous one.

 

Why did Kyuhyun have to call me a troublemaker. And said that I am going to mess with Eunhyuk’s life.

 

Especially since now Eunhyuk was back again in my life as a whole new different person, he is the one who had ruined me for any others.

 

This time round he was the one who made it impossible for me to move on anymore should he play with my feelings again.

 

For he had suddenly become the man that I had always dreamt of and just as a flicker of hope began to rise on the inside of me, Kyuhyun had to kill it just like that.

 

Maybe I should really just take this opportunity and end it here, just like I had hoped for many times in the past. After all he is Eunhyuk. A leopard will never change its spots, isn’t it?

 

I knew I am being a terrible person and being downright selfish, but Siwon might just be coming back at the right time.

 

I felt my phone vibrated for the umpteen times since lunch. I didn’t even need to check to see that it had been Eunhyuk who had been calling me non-stop.

 

As the vibrations ceased, I took out my phone.

 

19 missed calls. 42 new messages.

 

And they were all from him.

 

I ignored and deleted all messages without reading any of it.

 

I called up Tiffany and told her that I would be taking the day off and set off to Sungmin’s house. I need some time alone and away from him.

 

I need to think.

 

---

 

Eunhyuk’s POV

 

‘Why did you meet up with Donghae.’

 

Kyuhyun sat down on the couch and flipped open a file, ‘Lunch.’

 

I narrowed my eyes at the friend that I had known for the longest time, I would know when he is not being completely honest with me.

 

‘And? What else? What did you both talk about?’ What had happened that Donghae had began to avoid me suddenly.

 

I was still pissed at him for not forewarning me about Hyoyeon and despite confronting him about it yesterday, it just left me feeling more exasperated than ever.

 

Kyuhyun is planning something. I can sense it.

 

Kyuhyun continued flipping the file and studied its contents, ‘Nothing much. How is lunch between you and that blondie earlier?’

 

‘Don’t change the topic Kyu. I’ve known you long enough. What did you tell Donghae.’ I hissed in warning. If he doesn’t come clean to me I didn’t know what I would do.

 

Donghae had been ignoring my calls and text messages. And he is nowhere to be found. All these happened right after the ‘lunch’ with Kyu? Something must have happened.

 

Kyuhyun tossed the file away and looked up at me, ‘Stop obsessing over that guy.’

 

Anger suddenly clouded my thought. I reached forward to grab his shirt collar and pulled him to his feet.

 

‘Tell me. What happened.’ I snarled.

 

He continued to stare unblinkingly at me, ‘Just look at what you have become Hyuk. You were never like this. He ing changed you!’

 

I shoved him away from me.

 

Something had happened. He had said things to Donghae.

 

‘I will deal with you later.’

 

My priority right now is to find Donghae. Everything else just doesn’t matter anymore.

 

---

 

Donghae’s POV

 

I missed him already.

 

I didn’t want to leave him. I couldn’t. I promised I wouldn’t.

 

I promised.

 

Ever since the moment he appeared in my life again, it was doomed for me from the start. It was meant to be so for me, that once I’m in, I wouldn’t be able to get out.

 

I wouldn’t want to get out.

 

If this was such a bad mistake, then just let me continue living in it. As long as the Eunhyuk now is still by my side.

 

Just the thought of leaving him for good is like killing me.

 

Now that he is back in my life again. It seemed even more impossible for me to let him go. Not now. I couldn’t. He had made me feel so different now. He had awakened feelings I thought had died long ago.

 

 My phone started vibrating again and it was him.

 

I couldn’t help the tears that were soon falling from my eyes as I suddenly remembered last night.

 

How Eunhyuk made me promised not to leave him. How lost and desperate he had looked then.

 

‘Eunhyuk… I lose… I always lose in this…’ I murmured.

 

I answered the phone wordlessly. Just let me hear his voice for now. Let me hear his voice calling out my name and it would be enough.

 

‘Donghae! Where are you! Donghae listen to me- Hello? Are you there? Talk to me please!’

 

I started sobbing upon hearing his panic voice. It was as if he cared for me. That he was really truly concerned about me.

 

‘Are you crying? Don’t… please don’t Hae… Hae you are killing me. Please tell me where you are.’ His voice was full of desperation and I couldn’t bear it anymore.

 

I disconnected the call, switched off the phone and buried my head against the pillows.

 

‘Hae…’ Sungmin was suddenly by my side and rubbing my back.

 

I hadn’t even heard him come in.

 

I turned over and Sungmin pulled me into a hug as I continued to sob softly. Letting out all the pent up desperation and insecurities that I had kept inside for so long.

 

‘What can I do? Hae, tell me.’

 

I shook my head against his shoulder. Nobody can do anything. Nobody can help me.

 

I tried speaking shakily in between my sobs, ‘It’s so hard Min… I couldn’t- I couldn’t…’

 

Min was silent for a while before he started speaking again, ‘This Kyuhyun guy is weird. I would want to find out more about him.’ 

 

I shook my head again, ‘No- Minnie, don’t.’ I didn’t know why, but I feel that Kyuhyun was no good for Sungmin to handle. Kyuhyun had been behaving very weirdly whenever Sungmin’s name is mentioned, and that one time when they both met…

 

Sungmin pulled me apart to look at me, ‘Donghae, they are both hiding things from you. I’m sure of that. We need to find out what is it.’

 

‘Why would they do that?’

 

Sungmin pursed his lips together and frowned, looking away, he said, ‘I have no idea. But I’m not going to sit here and watch them do this to you.’

 

I hardly knew how to handle this information. I hadn’t thought that detailed into it. But now I realized, Sungmin is right. There had been too many questions arising ever since the two of them appeared. Questions that I had actually chosen to ignore because I had been too blinded by Eunhyuk’s sudden undivided attention and devotion on me.

 

‘What should I do? I couldn’t leave Eunhyuk...’ Not now. I can’t. Not ever.

 

Sungmin look at me again as he held onto my shoulders and gave it a squeeze, ‘Hae, I’m not going to force you guys apart. I know you can’t do it. On the contrary, I need you to be by his side and study him closely. Find out what is wrong and what is different about him and let me know. We will figure this out together. Because Hae…’

 

‘…Only when you finally know the truth, then can you truly be able to leave him.’

 

-----

 

A/N: I’m kind of getting mentally unbalanced writing this…