An Ahjumma's Story

The English Teacher

 

 

Daehyun paid for his little snacks and our drinks. He handed me my bottle of water, and we sat on a bench, waiting for the train to come. I was a little nervous, to be truthful. I knew that his mother was still in hospital, and he lived with his aunt, but there was a still a lot of pressure.

What if they didn't like me? What if they didn't think I was good enough for Daehyun? What if they disapproved?

"Yah, pabo-ya." Daehyun said, and snapped me out of my daydream. I looked at him, a little startled. "The train."

I shook my head, trying to shake off the last remnants of sleep, and glanced at the train. People were already boarding. I got to my feet and strectched, popping all of my joints. I groaned and held a hand on the small of my back. I was too young to be getting aches and pains.

I followed Daehyun sleepily to the train. I clung onto his hand as he waitind in the queue. I rubbed my eye drowsily with the back of my hand.

"Tired?" Daehyun asked me casually when he noticed me yawning. I nodded my head, feeling like a five year old again. "Well you can sleep on the way there."

I smiled lightly. He had woken me up before I was ready to be woken up this morning, so I was exhausted. Daehyun pushed through the crowd, keeping his head down so that no one would recognise him.

Daehyun lead us to two seats facing another two, but was seperated by a table. I sat down, and scooched over so that I was beside the window. I expected Daehyun to sit across from me, but to my surprise and delight, he sat beside me.

"You can sleep if you want." Daehyun told me. I nodded diligently and leaned my head against the window.

The cool condensation that had formed on the window pane was cool against my cheek. The train chugged forward, and the vibrations from the spinning of the wheels, caused my head to hit off the glass multiple times.

"Pabo." Daehyun placed a hand on my cheek and tipped my head over so that I was leaning onto his shoulder. I shifted slightly and got comfy.

"Thank you." I whispered, and I heard Daehyun chuckle.

"Any time." He answered.

 

I had my eyes shut for a few moments, when I felt him taking my hand. He placed my injured hand on the table, and I heard a popping sound. I assumed that he had gotten out his markers again.

Sure enough, I soon heard the tell tale sound of the felt tip against the hard cast. I tried to resist the urge to smile. He couldn't sit still for a few moments.

Daehyun began humming a tune while he worked. I think that it was the infamous "Baby Baby" by 4men, or else it could have been "Angel" by EXO. I'm not really sure.

It was beautiful though. I don't know what I ever did to deserve what I had right now, but it must have been something good.

I kept my eyes shut, listening to the soothing notes that Daehyun hummed, as well as the regular thump of his heart beat. I was really quite comfortable like this, and I didn't ever want to move.

However, a chilly draft nipped at me, causing me to shudder involuntarily. Daehyun's song stopped momentarily, before he restarted, but softer than before.

He jostled my head a little, and I stirred. What was he doing? Daehyun stopped quickly and relaxed back into his seat again. I sighed happily and snuggled closer into him.

I tried to think of what he was doing, when I felt soft material against my arms. I grabbed the side of it with my fingers of my lone free hand.

It was his jacket. That was really sweet of him. Daehyun struck up a new tune, I think it was Infinite's "Be Mine", but then again, it could have been 2NE1's "I am the Best", because I was awful at guessing at songs, I think that it weighed more heavily in Infinite's favour, though.

After a few moments, Daehyun stopped humming the lullaby for a second. His head rested against mine. I smiled lightly before drifting off into dreamland, as Daehyun restarted his song.

 

*                      *                     *

 

"Excuse me, do you mind if I sit here?" A voice asked and I stirred in my sleep.

"Of course, Ahjumma. Sit down." Daehyun answered. I frowned, with my eyes still tightly shut. I was still had a foot in dreamworld, and one foot in reality.

"Is she your girlfriend?" The voice asked. It sounded kind of whithered and weary.

"Neh, she is." Daehyun said, and I could tell by the way he spoke that the corners of his mouth were twitching up, and it made me smile.

"You look good together." The Ahjumma complimented.

"Thank you." Daehyun replied.

"Where are you going to?" She asked.

"Busan." Daehyun said.

"Busan? I'm getting off at the stop just before that." The Ahjumma nodded.

"Do you live there?" Daehyun asked, trying to make polite conversation.

"Yes, for forty years now." She replied proudly.

"Forty years?" Daehyun exclaimed incredulously. "Do you not get tired of the same place and the same people?"

"Tired? I've never thought about that." The woman replied thoughtfully. "But, think of it this way, you've been going out with you're girlfriend for a while, right? Have you gotten tired of her in that space of time? If you truly love someone, you won't tire of them, or get bored."

"Jinjja?" Daehyun asked, almost as if he didn't believe her.

 

I decided that this was the best time for me to "wake up". I yawned widely, and sat up, rubbing my eyes. I reached for the jacket so that it wouldn't fall as I sat up.

I took it timidly in my hands and held it close to me. I squeezed my eyes shut and opened them fully, trying to shake off the sleepiness.

I found the Ahjumma looking at me curiously, and I quickly ducked my head.

"Annyeonghaseo." I greeted.

She bowed her head back to me, and gave me a small smile.

"Oppa, thank you." I said quietly and handed Daehyun his cardigan back.

"Ani, you take it. You must be cold. Put it on." Daehyun told me, and pushed his cardigan back into my hands.

"No, no." I said. "You take it. I'm fine, and besides, you'll get cold."

"But-" Daehyun protested, but I firmly oushed it back at him.

"Not only will you freeze to death, you'll also catch a cold." I told him sternly.

"You should listen to your girlfriend, son." The Ahjumma said, and I gave her an appreciative, which she returned. She gave me a sly wink, silently telling me that we were on the same side.

"My name is Joyce." I said, when I realised that I hadn't properly introduced myself yet. "And this pabo is Daehyun."

The woman laughed breezily. "Pleasure. I'm Mrs. Byun."

"I'm not a pabo." Daehyun muttered under his breath and Mrs. Byun chuckled. I shot Daehyun a loving look, and saw his irritated facial expression.

"What's wrong?" I asked, slightly worried that I had upset him.

"Nothing, just . . . I don't remember if I called Omonim or not." Daehyun confessed to me.

I nodded slightly in understanding. Daehyun had told me that ever since he had moved in his aunt, he had called her Omonim. She was a second mother to him, so I didn't question that part.

"Why don't you call her now?" I suggested.

"Hmm, maybe." Daehyun mused. He got up from his seat, and pulled his phone out of his pocket. "I'll be back soon, don't go anywhere."

"No. While you're gone, I'm going to go hid in another compartment." I joked. Daehyun rolled his eyes at my sarcasm and walked off, a smile playing on his face.

"You're close."  Mrs. Byun said simply.

"Yes." I replied with a smile. "He's great."

"You have to make sure to take care of someone like him, they don't come around twice in a lifetime." Mrs. Byun sighed, as if she knew what she was talking about.

Curious, I asked her is she had ever experienced it before. The Ahjumma nodded her head sadly, and I was hesitant, before deciding to just bite the bullet and ask her what happened.

Mrs. Byun let out a heavy sigh. She muttered a few things like, "where to start" under her breath. She gave me a sad, drained look and launched into her life story.

 

"When I was eighteen years old, I had my first relationship. I was ecsatic. I was overjoyed. I had gotten a boyfriend, and I couldn't have been more delighted with him. He was popular, and I was just a geeky girl.

"After going out for a few months, I began to notice a few strange things. We weren't as close anymore. He became withdrawn. I didn't suspect anything, why would I? I trusted him.

"However, one day, I got a note at my locker one day, telling me to go to a certain place at a certain time. I went there, albeit a little confused. When I got there, I seen my boyfriend at the time, kissing another girl. I left there, distraught.

"The next day at school, I avoided him like a plague. One of my guy friends, Shinwoo, noticed this, and asked me what was wrong. I didn't know whether or not to tell him, I hadn't even told my bestfriend yet. However, I decided to just face the music, and I spilled everything that happened to him.

"Shinwoo's face became stony and unreadable. In the five years I had known him, I had never thought that he was the type to become angry. He was such a pacifist!

"I didn't think much about Shinwoo, though. I went to class as normal, avoiding my boyfriend. After school ended, my bestfriend came up to me and told me that Shinwoo was in a fight.

"We ran outside to the pitch, and I seen Shinwoo holding my boyfriend against the wall. Shinwoo had his fist raised. His hair was dishevelled and he had a cut on the side of his lip. He was in better shape than my boyfriend, though. My boyfriend looked worse for wear, Shinwoo had totally wiped the floor with him.

"I was frozen for a few moments. I mean, there were two important people in my life fighting. I staggered forwards, and grabbed onto Shinwoo's arm. I heard the crowd take in a collective gasp and they were eager to see what I would do next. The tension was palpable.

"I ended up telling Shinwoo to stop, that my boyfriend wasn't worth it. Shinwoo ended up angrily blurting out what I had told him in the strictest confidence. I could feel the crowd staring at me, and they began to murmur between themselves. I left, embarrassed beyond belief.

"It was the weekend, and while I was upset at home, I heard a knock on my door. I had to answer it, as both my parents were working at the time. I was stunned to see an apologetic Shinwoo standing there. I invited him in, and we began to talk.

"He told me he was sorry for what he said. I forgave him, as he made a very good arguement. We started to talk about other things, and in the following weeks, we became closer.

 

"After a few months, I had already broken up with my boyfriend, and I was closer than ever with Shinwoo. One particular day, Shinwoo had another fight with my ex. You see, they became enemies. Shinwoo beat him, but he still bust his lip.

"It was also the day that he confessed to me. Of course, though, he confessed prior to the fight. Shinwoo walked me home, like the good man he was.

"When I was just about to go, Shinwoo said something that surprised me. He told me that he would kiss me, but his lip prevented him from doing so. I was very embarassed, and I blushed red like a beetroot.

"Shinwoo and I began to go out, and I was a lot happier with him than my ex. We spent the next seven years together. Then, the dreaded day came. Shinwoo had to enroll in the military. That was two years without contact.

"It was an awful period for me, as I was constantly in a state of worry as to whether or not he had been harmed. I waited for a phone call and a letter, telling me that he had been killed in the line of duty.

"Thankfully, no such letter came. However, one did come, telling me that a drill had gone badly wrong and that Shinwoo had slipped into a coma. Medicine back then wasn't as good as it is today, and so, whether or not he would wake up was still ambigious.

"Today, his condition could have been treated in a week, tops, and I wouldn't have had to wait around for a year for him to wake up. Thankfully, though, he did. He was given an honourable discharge, and I brought him home.

"Shinwoo was dependant on me for a while. Sometimes his brain would play up, and he would forget me. Early Alzeimher's, that's what I used to call it. His condition improved with love and care, though.

"Today, we have three wonderful children and eleven beautiful grandchildren." Mrs. Byun finished up her story, and a lone tear spilled out of the corner of my cheek.

"Done." Daehyun said, interupting the silence that had settled between us. He sat down beside me, and I barely even glanced at him. "Joyce?" Daehyun asked uncertainly, and glanced inbetween Mrs. Byun and I.

"Daehyun-ah!" I exclaimed and gave him a rib crushing hug. "I love you, okay?"

Daehyun patted my back unsurely. "Okay . . . I love you, too."

 

*                        *                         * 

 

"What was all that about earlier?" Daehyun asked me, as I frantically waved to the Ahjumma's figure, that the train was quickly leaving behind.

"Nothing that you need to know." I teased Daehyun lightly.

"Annoying-"

"Pabo." I finished under my breath at the same time that Daehyun did. He gaped at me, and I just gave him an angelic smile. I noticed the fresh writing on my cast, and I looked at it curiously.

Daehyun had drawn a lot of Ferris wheels. A lot. A shy smile came to my face, and looked at the Busan boy, but he was staring out the window. I could tell he knew what I was looking at, though, because of the grin on his face.

"You know, I feel bad about not going too see Nana today." I confided.

"Why?" Daehyun asked, genuinely confused.

"Because she is always bored at that hospital."

"Joyce." Daehyun laughed. "I'm not the only one who got a free day today."

"So?" I demanded, completely clueless.

"So, I'm sure that there is a certain, tall, tall, tall, tall, tall-"

"Stop saying tall." I scolded Daehyun.

"-tall maknae that is glad that you weren't there today. If you still need a hint, I'll give you one; his last name is Choi and his name begins with J and ends in G."

I nodded in understanding. Of course Zelo would want to see her today, why wouldn't he?

"Pabo." Daehyun teased me.

We joked around and laughed all the way to Busan station. As the train pulled into the station, my heart began to flutter and I became nervous.

All the doubts, worries and fears that I had came back tenfold, almost crippling me under the pressure.

"Joy, don't worry." Daehyun bent down to whisper in my ear as we got off the train. I blushed red, and was thankful that I was in front of him and he couldn't see me.

I hopped off the train, closely followed by Daehyun.

"Come on then." Daehyun told me, and lead me off in an unknown direction.

 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

A/N:

Yeah, definitely going to curl up in a ball and sleep for a year ^^