The Move

The English Teacher

 

 

I wiped the sweat from my brow. I had finally luged the last of the boxes up the stairs to my new rooftop apartment, from my little Micra. Now I just I had the tedious task of unpacking ahead of me.

I decided to look around first though. Heaven knows I needed a break! The apartment was in quiet good shape for it's price. It had just two rooms. A bathroom and a kitchen/living room. The couch extended as a futon. The wall paper was faded and peeling in some places. I sighed.

Little details liked this really bugged me. I was a little bit of a perfectionist. Unfortunatley, I didn't have any money to shape the apartment up, but Choi Seungpyo, an old family friend had promised me a job, tutoring some people in English.

He was surprisingly cryptic about the whole thing. He told me he would call in on me later on to chack I'd settled in okay. I sighed, I should probably, start unpacking, make the apartment presentable.

 

 

                                                                  *          *          *

 

I scrambled over to the door. "Ahjussi!" I exclaimed. Pleased to see Seung Pyo. "You look well. You're just in time. I've got ramyun on and I've just finished packing!".

He looked as well as ever. His eyes still crinkling from some joke he heard on the way over, his cropped black hair slowly fading to grey. We sat down at the dining table I had set earlier.

"Joy. It's been a long time. You know me too well." His eyes twinkled with delight at the prospect of ramyun. "But, tell me, how are you oliking Seoul okay? Did you negotiate your way here okay?"

"Truthfully?" I asked. "I got a bit lost. Appa gave me the wrong instructions. But other than that it's fine."

"Haha, Eun Tyuk couldn't find the exit in a paper bag" he chuckled fondly.

I grinned. "Hajiman, Ahjussi, you've lost weight." His face had adopted a ragged expression the closer I examined it.

"Yah, mwol? Aish, you punk! It's overwork. You'll understand soon enough! You'll be working there soon!" he shouted.

"Mianhae, Ahjussi." I apologised.

"Ah, ani. It's okay. Speaking of which. You're parents did tell you that you were going to work as a tutor for a couple of em . . . friends of mine, right?"

"Yeah, that I had to tutor them twice during school days and then at the weekends for an hour, right?"

"Good. you can start tomorrow, after school I'll pick you, or I'll send some-one."

"Okay, but who are they? How many am I tutoring? How old are they?" I enquired. "Omma and Appa didn't tell me anything. They said to ask you, Ahjussi."

"Jinjja? Good. Em. . . there is six of them, they're all very nice boys, and that's all you're getting out of me! Now, what happened to that ramyun?"

I jumped up, saving the ramyun from over-cooking.

 

I didn't think about the conversation with Ahjussi until I was going to bed. I wonder why he didn't want to answer? What will I teach these mysterious boys? I didn't think for long though, before I drifted off to a deep sleep. Excited for my first day at Jungsang high school.

 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

A/N:

Looking back at this chapter from chapter 40, I can say how short and badly written is. Hopefully I have improved as the story progresses, and I can safely say that the length of the chapters definitely got a lot longer. Maybe they are now twice as long (if not more). So please, don't be too harsh, it does improve!