Meeting Zelo

The English Teacher

 

 

"Aish!" I screamed in frustration. "Why won't you start!" My Micra was in deep need of repairs. The car wasn't starting. "Must be the battery or something." I muttered. Vowing to take the car to a mechanics as soon as I got enough money, I hopped out of the car and legged it down the road. I was going to be late for my first day at school. This always happens to me, I thought to myself.

I made it just in time to the imposing large, red brick building. JUNGSANG HIGH SCHOOL was printed in large bold letters at the front of the building. There was signs directing cars and motorvehicles to a student carpark, a staff carpark, or a collection point. I had to remember that for the future when I got my car fixed. But right now, I had more important things. I scrambled up the stairs and into the head office. A slightly flustered scretary behind a cluttered desk gave me my time schedule and told me the principal would be down shortly.

Five minutes after the bell rang, signalling the start of class, the principal came into the office looking harassed.

"Ahh, you must be Joyce Kim. Our new transfer." He beamed at me.

"N-ne" I replied suddenly nervous.The reality of moving suddenly hitting me, months too late. What if no-one likes me? What if I fail all my classes? What if I get lost? What if I can't understand anyone and vice versa? I fretted all the way to the homeroom, that the Principal brought me too. They were silly irrational fears, I knew that. I was Korean. I've been speaking Korean since I was a child. It was my first language. How could anyone not understand me?

"Ahh, we are here Ms.Kim. I will just introduce you and you will begin your classes as normal. O.K?" The principal asked me, snapping me out of my revere.

"Yes, Principal."I replied polietly.

He opened the door to the class and strode confidently in. I followed meekly at his heels, my eyes cast downwards.

"Class, listen up. This is Joyce Kim. She's our new transfer student. I trust you will take care of her and show her around."

I looked upwards. Everyones eyes were fixed on me. "Annyeonghaseyo," I bowed at ninety degrees to the class and the teacher. "Please take care of me."

"O.K, that'll be all. Study hard everyone." The principal said, before departing.

"Ahh, Ms.Kim. You can sit there, beside Junhong" the teacher told me, a balding man in his late fifties, pointing to a blond hair boy with ramyun hair, who had his head on the desk.

"Ne, teacher." I bowed, and took my seat beside the sleeping boy.

"Yah! Junhong! Wake up!" The teacher screeched, slapping the boy on the head. "Aish! What's wrong with you! Were you even listening to anything the Principal said?!"

The boy looked up. "Ahh, teacher. Why'd you do that? I know the usual, 'study well, don't disappoint your school . . . blah, blah" his remark earned him another slap. This was shocking to me. We didn't believe in this kind of punishmeant where I was from. We got lines, detention or extrea homework. They weren't hurt. No-one else but me shocked though. What's wrong with these people? I thought to myself.

"Aish, you punk, this is Joyce Kim" He said, gesturing to me. "She's a new transfer student, ok? And no more sleeping in class!"

The boy looked at me. My breath slightly hitched. He was good looking. His mop of curls bounced on his head, when he bowed his head to me. He looked at me expectantly for a while, and then I remembered to bow. Babo! I cursed my self. He smiled at me, showing off a perfect smile with perfect white teeth. He had dimples. How cute. I thought. I smiled tentatively back.

"I'm Joyce Kim." I introduced myself. "But all my friends and family call me Joy".

"Joy? That's a pretty name. I'm Choi Junhong, but everyone calls me Zelo. You should too." He was really friendly. I beamed at him, and he beamed back. "So, you transfered here? Where from? What --?" He never got to finish his sentence though, because the teacher hit him on the head again.

"Aish. How many times do I to tell you listen in class!"

 

                                                                                                                *          *          * 

Finally we got lunch. After a gruelling morning of maths and history , all I wanted to do was go home. But, I probably wouldn't be home until late, seeing as I had to tutor six mysterious boys. Everyone got up at the bell and filed out. I stared after them. What did I do? Did I follow them? I stared for a minute panicking. Thankfully though, Zelo saved me.

"Um, Joy?" He asked me. "Do you want to get something to eat? I know you're new here and all. I figured you wouldn't know what we do." He seemed kind of nervous.

"Ah, Zelo thank you! You're the best!" I grinned at him. He grinned right back. What was it about him? Did he never stop smiling? "You smile alot, you know." I remarked, more to myself than anyone else.

"Jinjja? You should see Jongup hyung. He . . ." He trailed off as if he sadi something wrong and furrowed his brow.

"Are you okay, Zelo? Did I say something wrong?" I asked, worried I was losing my only friend.

"Wae? Ani, it's I just remembered something." His smile came back so I forgot my worries. "C'mon Joy lets go." He grabbed my wrist and towed me along to the canteen.

 

It was packed. All the tables were occupied. Zelo, dragged me all the way to the queue, got one tray and loaded enough food for two on it. He paid, and toke me outside to the back of the school, the picnic area. We sat down at a table and happily munched on our lunch. Afterwards, we laid on our backs, watching the clouds, and talking. Zelo had a lot to say. He chittered about everything and nothing beside me. It's nice to have a friend, I sighed to myself. Back home I was teased for being Asian.

"Thanks Zelo." I said suddenly, interrupting him talking about his favourite American artists. He shifted to the side and propped himself on one elbow to look better at me.

"What for?" He asked, confused.

"For, you know, looking out for me today. I'm sure you would've preferred hanging around with your own friends." I told him.

"Oh. You thought I was being nice? No. I was told that if I showed you around, it'd count as extra credit. I'm failing classes, you know." He stated very-matter-of-fact-ly.

"Oh." I whispered, slightly deflated. I felt like such an idiot. My cheeks burned red, and my eyes stung.

Suddenly, the ramyun boy erupted in fits of giggles. "Hahahahahaha," He was so loud! Did he have to laugh at me?! "You should have seen your face! you acually believed me!" he said, inbetween his laughter. "Really, Joy, it's been a . . . joy showing you around." He smirked at his own joke.

"Jinjja?" I asked, disbelieving.

"Ye. You're such a happy person. Mwol? You don't believe me?"

"Thanks Zelo." I repeated.

"Aish!" he cursed, causing me to jump. "We'll be late. C'mon." he said, pulling me to my feet. We raced back to the school, and into our homeroom. We made it just in time. The bell chimed just as we sat down. People turned around to stare at me. I could tell what they were thinking "What's he doing with her? The new girl."

Zelo didn't notice anything though. Or else he didn't care. He continued chattering excitely beside me, all lesson. Cracking jokes. However, he was a bit too loud, and was given detention after school, cleaning the classroom.

"Aish, jinjja?" he complained, "I have somewhere to be after school."

"Mian, Zelo. I'd help, but, I have to go to work after school."

"'Mian'? For what? This isn't the first time I got detention, and it won't be the last. It'll be O.K, I'll just do it fast."

 

                                                                                                  *              *            *

 

"Annyeong Zelo! Have fun!" I smiled at the boy. He was just so easy to talk to. I had a great first day, thanks to him. I rushed out the door, leaving him to clean up the mess. I went straight to the collection point and checked my phone.

Hello Joyce. I'll be there in five minutes. DON'T WALK AROUND! Just stay there. - Seoung Pyo.

Walk around? Where exactly would I go? I sat down at a bench and stsrted on my English homework. It was too easy for me. That was an advantage of living in England for seven years. It only took minutes. I looked up, when I finished. "Ahjussi" I cried. "You're late!" I scowled. He had arrived in a suave black, hyundai. He rolled down the window, and popped his head out.

"Mianhae. You ready? Let's go."

I jumped in the front seat. I was both nervous and excited at the same time. "Ahjussi, since I'm meeting them now, will you tell me a little about them?" I asked.

He quickly shot a look at me. "You don't really listen to korean pop music do you?".

"W-what?" I asked, shocked by his question. What kind of question was that? "Um . . . no. I listen to more American and European artists." I answered. "But I've heard of groups like, Super Junior, BigBang and Secret. Why?"

"Well, you see these people are budding idols. Hell, they're pretty famous over here already. Except their English is a little rough, and they need it to appeal to international fans so I need you to teach them. Okay?"

"That's it? That's what Omma and Appa couldn't tell me?" I snorted in disbelief. I was hardly the type to get starstruck.

"Yeah, yeah. Whatever. We're here now anyways."

We had arrived outside a fancy apatment block. It reminded me a little of the school. T.S Entertainment. was on a large banner on the building. Fancy, I thought. Wow. There must have been hundreds of screaming teenage girls outside of the building. They were all screaming "Oppa" and names that I couldn't make out. Must have been the members names.

"Wha---?" I trailed off.

"Fans". He answered my question.

A rather harassed looking security guard let us in, trying to fend off the girls, who tried to follow us. Ahjussi parked in a bottom carpark and we got the lift up to the seventh floor. What's the use for so may floors? I though privatley. We stopped outside a room numbered 75.

"You ready?" Ahjussi asked, before opening the door. I took a deep breah to study myself and followed him in.

 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________