Ferris Wheels

The English Teacher

 

 

Daehyun's eyes didn't leave mine and he kept on walking forward with Zelo. I was the one who broke eye contact when I glared at Nana.

"Nana, what the hell do you think you're doing?" I hissed at her.

"Being a good friend." Nana told me and waved at Zelo. Zelo's smile got even bigger, if that was possible, when he saw Nana. He grabbed Daehyun by the forearm and started to drag him in our direction.

"Did you plan all of this?" I asked her, getting more and more agitated as the pair got even closer to us.

"Junhong-ah!" Nana called out, completely ignoring me.

As soon as Zelo had dragged Daehyun close enough to us, one metre away, he stopped walking. Nana also let go of me where she had linked my arm.

Zelo switched Daehyun and Nana around so that Nana was by his side and Daehyun was at mine. I stared at the two troublemakers with a blank expression.

"Well, Joy, Daehyun, have fun. We'll meet you here in . . ." Nana checked the time on her watch.

"Three hours." Zelo finished. "Bye, guys."

Nana and Zelo linked arms and walked away from us, leaving an awkward silence in their stead. Nana looked back over her shoulder and gave us a wink, before she whispered something in Zelo's ear, making them both laugh.

"Em . . ." I said, breaking the unbearable tension.

"That was . . . unexpected." Daehyun supplied.

"Right." I said slowly. This was the type of awkward situation where it makes you cringe. "You can leave if you want, I'll just hang around and wait for them to come back."

"Yeah, right." Daehyun scoffed, and I looked up from where I was wrining my hands together. "If I leave you alone, something bad will definitely happen to you."

"Then I'll go home, or call someone to come and collect me," I retorted, thinking of Ahjussi.

"Because that's any better." Daehyun said bitterly and I was shocked, since when was he like this?

"Well then, tell me what we should do!" I snapped, a lot of pent up fury inside of me. I was so fed up lately. Firstly with Dongyul and his cheap, dirty tricks, and now Daehyun and the fact that he didn't even bother to show up. Was he too much of a coward to give me an answer straight to my face?

Daehyun was a little shocked by my reponse, I could tell by the slip in his stony mask. However, he quickly composed himself and his expression was as unreadable as ever.

"Actually, you know what, why don't you go and call that little worm and get him to collect you." Daehyun spat and his heel and walked off.

 

I stood there for what felt like a century, but was only really only two seconds. I watched Daehyun walk away, step by step, second by second, each step putting a bigger distance inbetween us.

Finally, I seemed to come to my senses. The people in the crowd were jostling me slightly in a bid to get past me.

"Move." Someone ordered and pushed me. I stumbled back slightly and fell down. I winced as I felt a pain set in on my wrist.

"Ouch," I muttered and glared at the offending person. They just shrugged at me in a nonchalant manner and continued on their path, not even bothering to offer to help me up.

I sighed and slapped my hands together, brushing the dirt off. I was just about to push myself off the floor when someone offered me a hand. My eyes trailed up along their arm, up to their face and my breathing temporarily stopped when I saw who it was.

"Are you going to get up or not?" Daehyun demanded and glared pointedly at his hand again.

"Wha- Yeah, sure." I said, and took his hand.

He pulled me upwards, and brushed my shoulders slightly.

"Thank you." I murmered shyly. Why was I like this?

"Whatever," Daehyun said and looked away, "I guess I'll be going then."

"Oh, right . . ." I said, and just before he turned to walk away, I caught onto his jacket. Daehyun turned to look at me, pain flickering through his eyes before he fixed his mask back on. "W-who did you mean? When you said 'that worm'."

"Dongyul, of course." Daehyun explained. "Isn't he my replacement?"

"Replacement? What do you mean by that?" I asked in shock.

"You decided to see him instead of me, right? You didn't even bother to show up and tell me in person."

"Huh?" I asked in confusion. "You were the one who didn't show up! I waited for ages for you! Nana came to get me when it got too late."

"Yah! I was the one who showed up! You didn't even come, so don't give me that! I seen you, Joyce. I seen you with Dongyul. So, don't even bother lying." Daehyun retaliated.

 

"What?" I asked, this was becoming exasperating now. "I was there! The only time I was with Dongyul was for two seconds on the way to TS! And that was . . ." I trailed off when I realised what I had just said and I clamped my hands over my mouth.

"What did you say? You went to TS and . . . ?" Daehyun prompted but I shook my head, my hands firmly over my mouth. "Tell me!"

I shook my head again, and Daehyun sighed heavily and placed his hands at the side of my face, stopping me shaking my head. He lowered his face down a little, and he looked into my eyes.

"Tell me." He commanded.

"No." I told him defiantly, briefly taking my hands away from my mouth andthen quickly covering my mouth again.

"Aish, you're annoying." Daehyun muttered under his breath. I think he thought that I couldn't hear him, but boy was he wrong.

"And you're a stubborn liar." I retorted, lifting my fingers for a moment.

"Okay, you know what, this is going nowhere." Daehyun commented, and dropped his hands.

"You just figured that out now?" I asked, and dropped my hands as well.

"Well, we might as well figure it out." Daehyun said and stared at me.

"Yeah," I agreed with him. "Care to explain?"

Daehyun shot a glance around him. "Not here, let's go somewhere more private."

I looked around. "There is nowhere more private than this."

"Wanna bet?" Daehyun smiled and grabbed my hand, and lead me off into the crowd.

 

I brought my free left hand up and clung onto the back of Daehyun's jacket as he battled through the crowd. He seemed determined to get to his destination. 

We weren't fighting through the crowd for long before we got to where we wanted to go. Daehyun moved along the rapidly moving queue and we were the last people to be given admission on the ride.

I craned my head up at the gigantic Ferris wheel. A car stopped just in front of us, and I shakily got in. I didn't like Ferris wheels for one simple reason, I am terrified that the wheel will become disconnected and we will all plunge to our deaths.

Daehyun guided me in with a hand on my back, and I'm not sure if my legs collapsed from underneath me or I sat down on a seat, but I suddenly found myself sitting down.

Daehyun sat opposite me, and as the ride jolted forward and we bagan to climb higher and higher in the air, I began to panic. My breathing began to become haggard and Daehyun stared at me in concern.

"Joyce, are you alright?" He asked.

I closed my eyes and shook my head frantically. "I'm scared of Ferris wheels." I squeaked.

"Why?" Daehyun asked curiously, and I confided my reason to him, at which he laughed. "That'd never happen. Don't be silly."

"Easy for you to say, you never know!" I retorted and opened my eyes briefly to glare at him before shutting them again.

"Okay, okay, sorry." Daehyun told me, and he seemed to be in a slightly better mood than before. "Look, if that happened, it wouldn't be such a bad way to go, would it? You'd always be remembered and you'd be pretty unique."

My eyelids fluttered opened and I looked at him in complete disbelief. "What? Are you crazy?"

"Ha! See, you're eyes are open now." Daehyun gave me a boyish grin that made my heart miss a beat.

"Pabo." I scolded jokingly.

"Don't worry, there's a million in one chance of that happening." Daehyun promised me, and grabbed my hand and folded it inside his two. "I promise."

"Thank you." I murmered, my cheeks going slightly pink.

"Now, let's get down to the serious talk."

 

I gathered a lot from our talk. For one, Daehyun did not get my message and he went to the café and he saw me being lead by Dongyul. He had waited for me, but when I never showed up at twelve, he left.

When I asked him why he never got the message, he hit his leg in understanding.

"Zelo! He was messing around with my phone yesterday. He wanted to play a game or something. I bet that punk deleted it!"

I explained my side of the story, but I left out the part about Mr. Kim and I only fleetingly mentioned that I had to go to TS with Dongyul. I could tell that Daehyun was still dubious about my half, but he didn't question me.

We also talked about the things that we should have talked about yesterday. Gosh, did we talk about that.

The ride was nearly over by the time we finished talking about it. We had discovered a few things, for one we both still felt the way and wanted to give it another shot, but for another, nothing had changed. There was still the threat of the fans and the media finding out.

Daehyun had a "solution" to that, though. He wanted to go ask formally in the company if he could enter in a relationship, or else enter a secret relationship, like his Secret sunbae, Hyosung, had done.

Daehyun asked me which I'd prefer and I had admitted that I would prefer the secret one. I wasn't ready to face the backlash of the fans and the newspaper yet. Besides, a secret one wouldn't harm him.

He wanted me to go with him to the company tomorrow to sort it all out. I was nervous, but I agreed. We had to keep moving forward, right?

"I still don't understand, though. What's the difference between this time and last time?" I had asked him.

"This one the company will be aware of and they will try and protect it from the media's knowledge." Daehyun had told me and I nodded.

"So the same, but different?" I asked.

"In a good way, yes." Daehyun smiled.

 

We spent the last time on the ferris wheel just enjoying the ride. I stared out the window at the people who looked like ants from this high up.

"Are you not scared anymore?" Daehyun asked. I noticed that he was looking at me rather than at the splendid view.

"No." I grinned. It sounded corny, but Daehyun seemed to give me some strength and courage. I liked that. It was a good sign that this was the right thing to do.

I wouldn't tell him that, though. He'd only get a big ego.

"Good."

"You know, Dae-" I looked over at him, but my eyes shut straight away as Daehyun's lips crashed onto mine.

I smiled into the kiss and I knew that Daehyun was smiling as well. I let go of his hand and wrapped my arms around his neck, pulling him a little closer.

I can say one thing now. I am not afraid of Ferris wheels anymore. In fact I think I might knid of like them.

A lot.

 

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

A/N:

^_^

I don't know if I did it justice, but that's what my mind came out with instead of German or my English essay ^_-

Please comment ^_^

~* Fighting *~