Philosophical Me

The English Teacher

 

 

I left a message on Daehyun's mobile, telling him that I wouldn't be able to meet him until two o'clock. I didn't give him the reason though, he wouldn't like the idea of me going with Dongyul. He had only punched him yesterday.

Yeah, it was best not to bring it up in front of him.

I was concerned about whether or not he would get the message, but I brushed it off. There was no point in worrying over the useless things. There was about a one per cent chance that he wouldn't get it, but what person doesn't check their messages, especially in the world's phone capital?

No one.

Therefore, I washed my worries and fears down the drain like sudsy water, and focused instead on what I was going to say to the person I was going to see about Dongyul.

I couldn't blatantly lie to the CEO, that would be wrong, but so would not presenting Dongyul in the best light possible. Perhaps if I managed to convince the CEO well enough, I could get Dongyul to convince Appa to allow me to permanently take up residence in Seoul.

I made a mental note to ask him about that later.

Nana was pottering around in the kitchen. I hadn't informed her about my plans with Dongyul - as far as I was concerned, telling her was an idiotic move.

I was a little on edge and I was counting down the seconds until I could leave. I had an irrational fear that something would go terribly wrong, and by this time tomorrow, I would be on the next plan home to England - Heathrow Airport to be exact.

 

Finally, the clock hand seemed to hit the number six, and I was out of my seat faster than a bullet out of a rifle muzzle. Nana's head popped around the corner and she smiled in understanding.

"Have with Daehyun." She told me and chuckled.

I didn't bother correcting her; after all, I would once I finished up all of my necessary business with Dongyul. It was a win-win situation really, as long as you looked at it in a positive light.

I fled out the door, just grabbing my coat in time, before heading out. However, I nearly walked into a human wall.

"You don't have to stand so close to my door." I scolded.

"I know." Dongyul replied and started walking off.

I sighed and ran up to catch up with him. The elevator ride down was travelled in silence. As soon as the doors dinged open, Dongyul was out of the lift like a bat out of hell.

"Aish, that sa- aish!" I growled thrugh clenched teeth and scurried after him like a mouse.

"Did you prepare anything for today?" Dongyul asked when I caught up to him. He didn't even look at me when he addressed me. Did he not learn the basic manners?

"Yeah, I thought of what I was going to say last night." I confessed.

"Well forget whatever you thought up." Dongyul commanded and my eyes widened in disbelief. "Learn this - quickly."

Dongyul handed me a sheet of paper that was covered in reasons upon reasons on why Dongyul should be accepted into the company. It made Dongyul sound holier than anyone to have ever to walk the Earth.

My personal favourite part was, "In the long time that I have known the admirable man, Choi Dongyul, I have witnessed only few tempermental outbursts. However, at the time, my good and loyal friend, Dongyul, was completely justified in his actions. He has helped me in tough situations and I am lucky to call him a dear friend."

It would be obvious from the beginning that these were utter lies. They would be ousted quicker than Oust gets rid of bad smells.

However, it was him who wrote this, not me. It would be eniterly on him if he failed to get into the company and become a trainee, all because of this script; it was, after all, him who wrote this drivel.

I had a hard time reading and learning the script while walking. Eventually, Dongyul saw my plight and grabbed my wrist. I tried to snatch my hand back, but he just hissed at me and told me to stop being so stupid as it would be easier and quicker if he lead me.

I jut hoped that no one mistook us for a couple, that would be beyond infuriating. I buried my nose in the paper, trying to reciate it. If I only put this much effort into my school work, I might actually do well.

 

All too soon and before I had gotten the words down in my mind, we were back in the building filled with perfect people. Dongyul briefly went over to the receptionist to inform her that we had arrived. It was a different woman that was here yesterday, but I had the same amount envy for the two women.

While the woman was checking through the list of appointments, Dongyul hissed at me to put the sheet of paper away. I shoved it my oversized coat pocket with a disgruntled expression. Did he really have to be so blunt and rude?

The receptionist confirmed the appointment and we were once sent up in the metal elevator to the intimadating CEO's office. When we got to the door, Dongyul knocked on the heavy oak and opened it just enough to shove me in. He then slammed the office door shut.

I stood there like a fool for a few minutes, blankly staring at the closed doors. Someone cleared his throat behind me, and I slowly turned to face the balding man sat a very large desk.

His greyish black hair was slowly receding. He was dressed formally in a charcoal black suit and I could see his shoes polished to perfection when he stood up to greet me.

He gave an intimidating and fierce aura. I stood there for a few moments, unsure of what to do. When I finally came to my senses, I bowed and greeted him in a timid voice.

"Oh ho! Don't be afraid of me! I don't bite." Mr. Kim assured me in a booming voice and his whole expression relaxed. His eyes crinkled at the edges and his face split in two when he smiled.

"Neh." I ducked my head and took the seat across from him. My right hand shook from nerves and I held it firmly with my left to get it to stop shaking.

"Now, Joyce Lee, is it?" Mr. Kim checked his diary and looked back at me.

His whole desk was cluttered with sheets of paper, important looking documents with 'urgent' written in red ink on them, and a state of the art, high class computer.

"Neh," I said in a small voice again. I sighed mentally. I sounded like a mouse that was confronted by a cat.

 

"You know, I have a daughter that looked a lot like you when she was your age - she's married and has kids now though, of course." Mr. Kim told me and steepled his fingers together.

"Really?" I asked.

"Mhmm. She was very shy as well, but that all changed when she met her current husband . . ." Mr. Kim trailed off and I could tell that there was some back story to it, but I didn't want to ask him anything further on it.

There was a few minutes of silence and Mr. Kim seemed to be lost in memories of the past. He shook his head and then looked at me with fresh eyes and a small smile.

"Sorry, where were we? Oh, yes! You're supposed to talk to me about Mr. Choi, correct?"

"Ah, neh." I said, but I lapsed into silence and didn't elaborate any further. I guess that to be in front of such an authorative and powerful figure scared me. Heck, this was B.A.P's boss!

"So, Miss Lee, what do you think of Dongyul?" Mr. Kim asked me, with a smile playing on the corners of his mouth, making them twitch every now and again.

I took in a deep breath and began to recite the script that Dongyul had given me earlier. I forgot a few parts, but I managed to cover it up very well - or at least I think I managed to.

When I was finished my speech, a flas of emotion crossed Mr. Kim's face; whether it was one of annoyance or happiness, I was unsure - just as I was unsure of whether or not he bought the babble. However, after my spiel, I definitely relaxed.

"Miss Lee, tell me, what is your relation to Mr. Choi?" Mr. Kim asked and I was taken aback. Out of everything I had just said, he only wanted to know this?

"He's a friend from England." I replied, full of uncertainty.

"Just a friend? Nothing more? Nothing less?"

"Just a friend . . . if you could even call it that." I muttered the last part under my breath so that Mr. Kim couldn't hear. "Waeyo?"

"Just . . . what you said; it's bordering almost on worship." Mr. Kim informed me.

"Me? Worship Dongyul?" I asked in complete and utter shock, "No, it's not like that at all. It's like I said . . . I . . ."

I couldn't remember anything I said at all. I guess this is karma and what I get for lying to a CEO.

"It's okay." The CEO assured me. "Young love brings me problems everywhere I go."

"Young love?" I asked in confusion. "I told you, I have no feelings towards Dongyul. We share a purely platonic relationship."

"That's not what he told me yesterday. He told me that his girlfriend was coming to see me." Mr. Kim smiled knowingly at me.

"That's not me, I assure you. I . . . I'm actually trying to patch things up with someone else." I told him earnestly.

"Like I said, young love only brings problems."

 

"That's a very pessimistic view on one of life's greatest wonders." I said, half quoting one of my favourite drama's.

"Is it? I suppose then that I haven't had the best experience with it. I didn't meet my wife until I was twenty something, so that wasn't young love. I'm no longer in contact with my only child because of it, and now one of my idols are being a terror because of it. " Mr. Kim retorted and I was lost for words.

How could one person have so much misfortune with love? One thing, however, caught my attention more than anything else.

"An idol?" I asked in shock. Was he referring to one Busan boy?

"Yes, but I shouldn't have mentioned that. I'd be grateful if you forgot that. You just remind me so much of my daughter that I forget that you're not." Mr. Kim smiled for the thousandth time in the time I had been there.

"Is that right? I will of course forget it, sir. But, you should know that just because he is an idol, that shouldn't hinder his ability to have a relationship. What would you have done if someone prevented you from dating your wife? You wouldn't have your daughter now. And, as for her, you should solve your issues with her immediately. You never know when your family will be snatched away from you." I told him, and I must admit, I sounded like a bitter old Ahjussi at a park, who was angry at the world for the way his life had turned out.

"Very philosophical, Miss Lee." Mr. Kim commended me.

"Thank you," I laughed, "I do try."

We spent the last of our hour debating the pro's and con's of love. It was a strange feeling, Mr. Kim was like a surrogate father. He said the exact same things that I knew Appa would have said if it were him in Mr. Kim's shoes and we were having this exact conversation.

When I told Mr. Kim about this, he just laughed his great booming laugh again, "So you're my surrogate daughter and I'm your surrogate father?"

We talked about everything and nothing, I think it was strange for the both of us that we were both so alike to a person that the other knew. I guess that you look for family wherever you go.

I found my family with B.A.P the first time in Seoul, but since I can't see Appa anymore, I guess I looked for a male role model in my life other than Ahjusi. More than likely it was the same with Mr. Kim. He missed his daughter and since he said I looked like her, I guess that he replaced her with me.

 

Before we knew it, his receptionist had called him up to tell him that an important client was waiting to see him - we had went fifteen minutes over the alloted time.

"Well, Miss Lee, it has been a pleasure." Mr. Kim said and stood up.

"Likewise, Mr. Kim." I replied.

"Feel free to drop by any time. You know, I reckon that you could have a future in script writing for interviews - your arguments are very compelling." Mr. Kim commented.

"I'll keep that in mind. Thank you for your time." I bowed to him and left the room.

No sooner was I out of the stuffy office than Dongyul was at my side. He hopped out of the plush chairs and was in my face immediately. He looked both nervous and excited.

"How did it go?" Dongyul asked me. "Did you mention everything that I wrote down?"

I bit my lip; we hadn't really talked about Dongyul that much.

"Let me put it this way, I said everything that needed to be said." Whether or not it was about him, he didn't need to know. Looking back, I think that we spent most of our time discussing useless things.

"Well, you went over time, so that can only be a good omen." Dongyul convinced himself.

"Over time? What time is it now?" I asked in confusion.

"It's half two now." Dongyul told me after he checked the watch on his wrist.

"Aish! I'm going to be late." I muttered and took off with a befuddled Dongyul hot on my heels.

 

*                 *                  *

 

I entered the café I used to work at, and looked around for a familar face. He wasn't here yet so I took a random seat near a window. I wasn't late, in fact I was just on time, so I expected Daehyun would be here shortly.

A waitress came by and to take my order. I think she was my replacement since I didn't recognise her.

I waited for my tea patiently and stared at the passing strangers outside the window to pass the time. Everyone rushed passed, busy with their chaotic lives.

My tea arrived and I cupped my hands around the delicate china, trying to get some warmth into my frozen fingers. I sipped it every now and again, and the sky slowly and steadily darkened while I waited for Daehyun to come.

The customers came in and ate with their friends before leaving. A waitress came and took my cup away and I paid the bill. My elbow slipped from where it was supporting my head and I rested my foreahed on the table.

I was really tired. I didn't sleep well last night. My eyelids became heavy and I drifted off into a land full of dreams.

However, I had only been asleep for two seconds when someone shook my shoulder.

"Nana?" I asked groggily.

"Joy, what are you doing here?" Nana asked and shook her head. "You should have been home ages ago."

"I'm sorry," I told her earnestly and she looked at me with her eyes full of pity - a look that I hated.

"Did Daehyun not show up?" Nana asked and I diverted my eyes, indirectly confirming her suspicion.

Nana sighed and pulled me by up by the elbow. She linked our arms and dragged me towards our hotel room.

"Don't worry, Joy, I'll sort it out for you," Nana promised, before adding, "That pabo really should have shown up."

 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

A/N:

I am so tired right now . . . :'(

And I have to do so much homework over the weekend, so maybe no update :/

Please comment ^_^

~* Fighting *~