Blame Game

The English Teacher

 

 

The corner of my lip twitched up in half a grimace, but I was determined not to let on that I knew who this person was.

"You know me?" I asked sweetly and innocently, but then again, I cannot act, so I wasn't sure if that was how it came out. "I don't think that I ever met you before, and I'm not the type to forget a face."

"Let me correct myself then, I believe that I've met you." The man amended himself.

"Excuse me? Just how exactly did you meet my daughter?" Appa asked, bewildered.

"I accompanied our company's boy group, B.A.P, when Ms. Lee was in hospital. However, your daughter was unconscious at the time." The man told Appa. "She caused quite some problems." His gaze darkened and hardened once it fell on me.

I glared back at him, determined not to be the first to break the eye contact.

"Well, if the security at the concert was a little bit better, that problem wouldn't have arose." Appa retorted, and gave my shoulder a reassuring squeeze.

"Now, now, let's not play the blame game." Ahjussi told the two men, and lowered and raised his hands slowly ,in a motion similar to one that a matador would do to calm a raging bull. "Can we not accept that there was faults on both sides?"

"Both sides?" Appa asked incredulously. He scoffed and turned to his head to the side slightly. When he looked back at our two guests, his gaze was stronger than any I had ever seen before - even during the court hearing for the man who killed Umma when he was drunk. "I think you'll find that the fault is entirely on your side. You're lucky that we didn't sue you, and the only reason that I didn't was because of our long friendship, Seungpyo."

"Ah, Euntyuk, stop saying rash things. We did foot the hospital bill and pay some reparations. What else did you want us to do?" Ahjussi scolded Appa.

I was speechless. Ahjussi had to pay the hospital bill and reparations? Neither him nor Appa told me that.

"Not blame me for the incident, for one." Appa told him.

"Anyway, your daughter caused us a lot of problems besides the accident at the concert." B.A.P's other manager told Appa, and his eyes glinted with information.

"What?" Appa asked, perplexed.

"Your daughter was featured in an-"

"Leechoi, stop it." Ahjussi scolded his friend. "Don't be so idiotic. If you tell them, what do you think will happen?"

The man, Leechoi, muttered something under his breath to him, and the two managers had a whispered converstation that lasted two minutes. Their crown of their heads were almost touching, and they looked as if they were discussing a serious topic.

 

 

I gulped audibly and felt my cheeks flame up. I could easily guess what item was on their agenda - me and my relationship with Daehyun, and perhaps the article in the Leafy Overview. I wondered if they knew that I was the one who found out about the article and Nana and I were the ones who informed B.A.P about it.

Probably not, right? B.A.P wouldn't be that stupid to tell them that I had contacted them, even if I hadn't contacted them after the day I had spoken to Daehyun.

When they finally looked up from their small two person huddle, Leechoi looked directly at Appa.

"I apologise, Mr. Lee. I shouldn't have said such things in your house, when you were kind enough to let us stay here instead of sending us to a hotel." Leechoi told Appa sincerely and did a small bow.

Appa didn't remove his beady eyes off of the figure, nor did he bow back.

"Just make sure that it doesn't happen again." Appa warned them. "Seungpyo, you know where the guest rooms are, right? You probably want to wash up after your long flight."

"Yes, I do." Ahjussi said and dragged Leechoi out of the sitting room by the top of his arm.

"Appa, thank you . . . for sticking up for me. I didn't think you would, after . . . you know . . ." I trailed off, leaving the rest of my sentence hanging in the air.

"Joy, you're my daughter, of course I will always defend you." Appa smiled, and squeezed my shoulder reassuringly. "Even when you say hasty things that I know you don't mean."

"Thanks Appa." I sniffed. "Does that I mean that I can go to Kor-"

"No." Appa interruprted me and let go of my arm.

I pouted and crossed my arms. I stuck my tongue childishly at Appa's retreating figure.

 

*               *             *

 

"Joy, come sit next to me." Ahjussi said and gestured to the empty seat across from me. Leechoi and Appa were still getting ready. I could hear the whirr of the eletric shower upstairs.

"Ahjussi, I have to go to school soon. I can't talk long." I told him, and stole one of the slices of bread off of the main plate on the table. The table was laden with breakfast delacies - from french toast to crumpets to scrambled eggs.

"I know." Ajussi said nonchalantly.

"So, what did you want to talk to me about?" I asked, when the tension reached its peak.

"Your father told me that you wanted to go back to Seoul." Ahjussi told me, and his eyes watched me carefully. "Any particular reason?"

"Reason?" I repeated and bit my lip. "Well, maybe . . . I don't know . . . I just thought that maybe. . ." I was muttering under my breath, and the sentence formed into one large droning noise.

"Joy, don't slurr your words." Ahjussi scolded me. "But, I think I catch your drift anyway-"

I snapped my head up, and widened my eyes ever so slightly; I probably looked like a deer caught in headlights.

"- it's Daehyun, right? Your reason for going back?" Ahjussi gave me a look, and I knew that he needed no answer, he knew already. I silently nodded my head.

"It's not just him, it's B.A.P too, Ahjussi. They were really good friends of mine. I miss them." I told him earnestly. "Ones that only come around once in a lifetime."

"Joy," Ahjussi began sternly, "I don't know if you know, but there was an srticle in Korea, about Daehyun and your relationship. Luckily, we were able to stop the spread of the news, but if something like that were happen again, I don't know if we will be able to contain it. That's why Leechoi is so bitter towards you. He doesn't want you to mess with the boys."

I nodded my head in understanding, or what I hope looked like understanding. I was fuming inside my head. Mess with B.A.P? I wasn't the type of girl to do that, and besides, Daehyun said that he wouldn't let it happen again.

When I told Ahjussi this, minus the Daehyun part, he just smiled in a condescending manner.

"Joy, this is the press we are talking about. With B.A.P's growing popularity, they will find out."

"You're just as bad as Appa." I said and shook my head.

 

*              *             * 

 

I was in the bathroom at school, and I was silently cursing the cheap Penny tights that had ripped, a huge ladder going up my calf and thigh.

Luckily, Nana always a spare in her locker because it happened so often.

I pulled my stockings up, and I was just about to unlock the door when a wave of ice cold water came crashing down on me from overhead. I spluttered, as the water dripped down my face, making my mascara and eyeliner run.

I snapped my head up a second too late to see the culprit and unlocked the bathroom door with shivering hands, but all I could see was the hem of a skirt as they whipped around the corner.

I stood there stock still for a few seconds. What was I supposed to do now? This was a new trick of theirs, one that they must have perfected on unsuspecting victims, whilst I was in Korea, and one that they had waited to use on me until now.

I noticed a yellow sticky note on the ground and I bent down to pick it up. It was full of obscene language, where it (to give the short and clean version) told me to go back to my own country.

I wish.

I walked out of the bathroom, aware of all the eyes on me, in conjunction with all the sniggers. I bravely marched down the hall to my locker. My shoes made squeaking noises as I walked, alerting everyone to my presence. Just as I was reaching for the key pad, when a broad boy knocked me into my shoulder and sent me flying forward.

My head smacked off the locker, and my nose connected the metal device that prevented people breaking into my locker.

I brought a hand to my nose in horror, and when I withdrew it, I was dumbfounded to see shining red blood. The size of my eyes was amplified, allowing salty tears to fall out of them.

Before I got a chance to turn around, a person offered me a tissue. I accepted it gratefully, and before I got the chance to look at them, they pulled me by the wrist, towing me away from all the prying eyes.

That was how I knew it was someone Korean. What other nationality would lead someone by the wrist?

When I looked up at my saviour, I wrenched my hand out of their grip.

"Dongyul!" I said in surprise.

Dongyul turned around and gave me a fleeting smirk and grabbed hold of my wrist again.

 

*              *           *

 

"I don't understand why you're being so nice to me." I confessed to him.

He had dragged me to the nurses office and acquired some warm dry clothes from the lost and found for me to wear. Right now, however, I was waiting for my nose to stop gushing blood and had his oversized hoodie on.

"I told you before, I'm trying to fix my temper, and I figure the first step in that is mending all of the bridges I broke. You're my first target." Dongyul told me, in a cheerful version of himself that I wasn't used to.

"Lucky me." I muttered under my breath.

"What was that?" He asked me, a grin still plastered on his face.

"Nothing." I muttered, and reached for a new tissue, discarding my old one. I was a little taken back when Dongyul handed me one and held up the dustbin at the same time. "Thanks." I said, still in shock.

"So, do you know who did this to you?" Dongyul asked, and tapped out a rhythm with his hands on the corner of the bed I was on.

"No, probably the same people though, Ruth and that lot." I said bitterly.

"Figured." Dongyul sighed heavily and handed me a plastic bag.

"What's this?" I asked in shock.

"You can change into this when I leave; you'll catch pneumonia otherwise." Dongyul said and patted the top of my wet hair.

I looked in the bag dubiously and found warm, dry clothes in there. When I looked up to thank the changing Dongyul, I found that he was already gone.

 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________