Explain

The English Teacher

 

 

My hands were shaking, as I finished reading the article.

"I knew that were heartless, but I never thought you were this cruel." I said, my voice was barely above a whisper, but I could tell Dongyul heard.

I jumped to my feet, and I started to walk hurriedly out of the park, being careful to step over the pipe that lead into the lake, so I wouldn't trip. I could hear Dongyul calling me back, but I ignored him.

I got out of the park and I had to force myself to walk and not run. The tears were threatening to overspill onto my cheeks, but I was determined not to let them. I didn't want to be that girl who cries in public. I wanted to retain some of my dignity.

I always knew that an idol and a handsome person like Daehyun would have no problem getting a new person to love. I guess it was just the reality of it hitting me. I didn't expect it to happen so quickly, nor did I expect to know about it. I wasn't allowed to feel guilty either, after all I was the one who had left first. The magazine was burning red hot like a poker in my hand, and I felt like my heart had been stabbed by a thousand knives.

I didn't know where to go. I couldn't go back home. I didn't want to see my father's happy and worried face. I knew that I would only lash out him, and I didn't need the guilt of that on top of my already turbulent emotions. I needed to talk to Nana, she would know what to do. She always did, she was always the level headed one.

I no longer cared that she was angry at me or that wasn't taking my calls. I needed my best friend right now.

I made to Nana's house quicker than I thought I would. I rapped on the door quickly, and I could hear scuffling before itw as finally opened, revealing a dishevelled looking Nana dressed in a baggy sweatsuit.

"Joy?" She asked incredulously, as if she could harldy believe I was in front of her.

"Nana, can I talk to you?" I asked her, my voice wavering on the last word.

Nana looked a little suprised at my sudden appearance, but she stood aside and opened the door wider for me to come in.

"Omma! Joy is here!" Nana called out, and grabbed my free wrist. "We're going up to my room!"

Nana didn't bother waiting for a reply, but lead me up the narrow stairway and down the hall into her box room.

 

Despite having small, Nana had done all she could to decorate it. Posters of celebrities ranging from Ed Sheeran and Rihanna to Infinite and Big Bang covered her walls. While we were in Seoul she must have picked up some new posters, because I could spot new B.A.P, Teen Top and Super Junior posters that I had never seen there before, and even an individual Zelo poster.

Her bed was covered in magazines and books. Nana carefully moved them aside for me to sit down on the bed and shoved them roughly into her bookcase, which was already overflowing with literature.

She had artistically drapped her massive scarf collection over a pole above her window that overlooked the street, so that she had formed a make shift curtain.

I sat down beside her, and I dropped the magazine on the bed.

"Joy, what's wrong?" Nana asked in concern, all traces that she was mad at me disappeared.

"The magazine." I said, and pointed to the offensive object that was just beside my leg.

"This?" Nana asked, and picked it up in wonder. She started to flick throughit slowly, wondering what could have upset me. "You know this isn't a very popular magazine, it's only bought by Ahjumma's that left Korea, and . . ."

She stopped suddenly, and I knew that she had found it.

"Joyce." Nana's voice was quiet and hushed. "I'm sure it's not what it looks like."

"Why not? We left them first, we can't have expected them to never meet someone new."

"But still, Daehyun wasn't like that." Nana tried to comfort me, and I gave her a fleeting look, a spark of hope igniting within me.

"Really?"

"And besides, did you not pay attention to the article?" She asked me. "They said that you have stitches on the head. I don't remember you ever getting those."

"Oh, right." I said slowly and nodded my head in understanding. The article couldn't be trusted, right?

"Pabo." Nana muttered and flicked my forehead softly.

"The photos." I said suddenly, remembering them. They had proof.

"I'm sure it's not what we think it is. But . . . I could always call Zelo . . . To check, you know?" Nana said slowly and she blushed red.

"You have his number?" I asked her incredulously.

"Of course I do." Nana said and gave me a look of utter disbelief.

"Do you keep in contact with him? Ahjussi would go spar if he found out."

"No, I don't." Nana protested, but there was something off about her expression.

 

Nana searched through her phone book, and called what I suspect was a familar number. She out the phone on loud speaker so that I could hear the two sides of the conversation.

The dialling tone seemed to go on forever. I couldn't even begin to imagine how much credit Nana must be wasting to do this for me, just to put me at ease and figure things out.

After what seemed like an eternity, there was an answer.

"Yobesyo?" A sleepy voice asked.

"Zelo-yah, is that you?" Nana asked in a sickenly sweet voice.

"Nana-yah?" The voice replied. Zelo seemed a lot more alert now and his voice was louder. I could hear the complaints of the others in the room with him.

"Zelo, go to sleep," and "Zelo, shut the hell up," seemed to be popular sayings in the room at that time.

"Nana, can I call you back tomorrow? It's late and we have a schedule in the morning." Zelo elaborated us when he heard Nana sighing to the first part.

"Zelo, it's urgent though."

"How urgent?" Zelo's voice was much quieter now after he was shouted at.

"Very."

"Listen, it's three in the morning, I'll call you in the morning when I'm awake." Zelo tried to placate her.

"Promise?"

"Promise."

"Fine, I understand. Well, sleep well, Zelo-yah." Nana said and I could hear a deep chuckle from the other end of the line.

 

 

"Wait, can I know what it's about first?"

"An article I seen in the paper about you guys." Nana told him, and her voice was as cute as ever. I swear that it was painful to listen to, I was never this bad when I was with Daehyun. She really does a one hundred and eighty degree turn when she's around or talking to guys she likes.

"Keeping tabs on us?" Zelo playfully, and then I heard him yell out. "Ow! Daehyun hyung that was sore!"

"Well shut the hell up then! I can't sleep with you nattering away on the damned phone. Who are you talking to anyways?"

My breathing almost stopped when I heard Daehyun's slightly muted voice. I don't know why, but I just can't seem to get him out of my head. I am seriously regretting ever leaving them. 

"Hyung, go away." Zelo said to someone on his side of the line, and I heard a scuffle.

"Hello?"

I froze when I heard Daehyun's voice through the phone as clear as day. Nana threw the phone that she was holding to me.

"You answer it." She hissed at me.

"No, you're the one talking to Zelo, you talk to Daehyun." I rebuked her and threw the phone back in her face.

"Hello? Whose there?" Daehyun asked. "That's not . . . by chance . . . is it . . ."

I held my breath, did we talk too loud. Did he recognise my voice.

"Zelo's girlfriend?"

I almost slapped my forehead. How stupid could I be, how would he possible recognise my voice?

"Yah, hyung, hajima." I heard Zelo say from the other end of the line. "Can we just go to sleep now?"

I heard a sigh from Daehyun and he must have handed the phone back to Zelo, because he was the person who spoke next.

"Listen, I'll call you after our schedule, okay?" Zelo said.

"Thank you, Zelo-yah, you're the best. Make sure you do though, because it's very urgent and serious." Nana warned. "But, can I just ask you a quick question before you hang up?"

"Fire away." I heard grumbling in the background. "Just two seconds, hyung."

"Does Daehyun have a girlfriend?" Nana asked quickly.

"Daehyun hyung?" Zelo asked, and I could tell he was offended. I half smirked in my sad state. So there was more to their relationship than I thought. "Why him?"

"What about me?" Daehyun asked.

"Not that I know of, unless the thing with Joy is completely gone." Zelo told Nana, ignoring Daehyun completely.

"Why are you bringing Joyce up now, Zelo?" Daehyun grumbled. "Go to sleep for God's sake."

"Arasso, I'll ring you later, okay? Why are you even ringing so late? You should be asleep."

"I'll look forward to it, and besides, I'm a night owl." That was the final straw - her voice was just too cutesy for me to handle. She was acting as if she had never left and as if she had been in contact with Zelo the whole time.

I stole the phone off of her and hit the hang up button. At least my mind was at ease for now.

 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________