Unexpected Answers

The English Teacher

 

 

"Okay, heads you call, tails you don't." Nana bargained with me and tossed the bronze coin up the air. I watched with bated breath, as she caught it in her hand. She flipped it over so that it was on her arm and she held a hand over it.

I leaned closer to the hospital bed in anticpation. Nana took her hand off, revealing the shiny penny. It was tails.

"Aish." We both complained.

"Just call him anyway." Nana told me and handed me my phone on her bedside table.

"Really? Should I?" I asked, dubiously eyeing the phone.

"It's past eight and he hasn't rung you yet, that's a good enough cause to ring him." Nana tried to persuade me.

"But, what if there is a reason?" I asked.

Even though Mr. Kim had promised to tell us about his decision today, he had failed to ring me and I hadn't heard so much as a peep from either Mr. Kim or Daehyun.

"Well, shouldn't you call and find out?" Nana countered and I scratched my head. That was true.

"Excuse me?" A nurse knocked on the door and walked into the room. "Visting times are now over. I'm afraid that you'll have to come back tomorrow."

"Oh, already?" I asked and checked my watch. "I guess I'll see you tomorrow, Nana."

"Uh-huh. Hey, call or give me a text if you hear anything, okay?" Nana told me, and I nodded.

"Yeah, goodnight." I told her and walked out the door that the nurse held open for me. All the other visitors had long gone apart from a few stragglers.

Some people were walking out, holding tear sodden tears to their eyes and I felt extremely out of place. I held on to my left elbow self consciously.

 

I tried to flag down a taxi to no avail. I sighed and muttered a curse. It was late and cold, and all I wanted to do was sleep. I had been waiting for the call that never came for ages on end, and needless to say, I was fed up.

I wrapped my jacket more firmly around me, and began walk the long and adruous walk home. The weather was exactly friendly either, there was a bitter wind that nipped at my cheeks.

"Jeongmalyo." I whispered and quickened my pace, keeping my head down.

I looked up when I saw a flickering streetlight out of the corner of my eye. I was close to home, I should be there in no time, as the hospital was fairly close to my temporary home.

I shot a glance around me. There was many people around, and the sky had gotten dark quickly. I repressed a shudder, and tried to stop myself thinking about the worst scenario possible. However, the more I tried to stop myself thinking about it, the more I thought about it. It was a catch twenty two.

Really, it was like something out a horror movie, I could even hear the eerie music in my head. It was like the opening scene. The throw away charcter that is the first victim, is just doing something normal, and something terrible happens to her . . .

"No, don't think those types of things, Joyce." I said in a loud voice, not even realising that I was talking loudly.

I clamped a hand over my mouth as soon as I realised what I had blurted out. However, there was no one around but a figure leaning against a building up ahead.

I squinted my eyes at the shrouded figure, but I couldn't quite make them out. Perhaps he was the villian of the horror movie?

No! Don't think that way! I told myself firmly and shook my head, forgetting that I must look crazy to any observer.

My eyes grazed over the name of the building, and I noticed that they were in front of my hotel. It couldn't be anything bad or awful, right?

No, I reassured myself, that would just be stupid.

 

As I passed the person, completely dressed in black from head to toe, and keeping their hood covering their hair, I muttered a small greeting.

They didn't reply to me, and I kept on walking, not bothering to pause. Just as I was reaching for the hotel door that would garuntee my safety (unless there was a killer laying in wait in my room), they grabbed my forearm.

They spun me around, with startling speed.

"What are you do-" The rest of my sentence was cut off as their lips crashed clumsily onto mine.

I stood there for a few moments, completely frozen. I couldn't even comprehend what was going on right now.

Finally, after nanoseconds or minutes, I don't know, they all felt the same to me, I came to. I pushed the guy away from me, with more strength than I knew I had.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" I shrieked hysterically. "I-I-I have a boyfriend you know! He wouldn't hesitate to beat you up!"

The man chuckled dryly in respnse. "Really?" His voice was slightly muffled. "I don't think so."

"He would!" I protested. "I don't know who you think you are or what you think gives you the permission to do that, but you have absoultely no right to do that!"

"I think I do." He told me, and I frowned. Their voice sounded vaguely familiar. "You owe me, remember?"

"Owe you?" I repeated.

"Yes, you do. And you repaid it with this kiss." He told me, very matter-of-factly.

"Yah!" I said, beyond annoyed at this point. "I don't owe you anything!"

"You do." He protested, and my frown deepened. Who was this?

"W-who are you?" I asked timidly.

They tsked at me, and slowly lowered their hood. I gasped in shock when I saw who it was.

 

"D-Daehyun?" I asked, a little bewildered.

"I'm touched that you think that I would beat up anyone for you, and a little offended that you didn't recognise me." Daehyun smiled, his eyes crinkled at the corners.

"Daehyunnie." I said, and walked into his arms. He gave me a strong hug, and held me at arms length again.

I noticed that his eyes were kind of watery and that his cheek was kind of wet. I touched his cheek in wonder.

"What's wrong?" I asked, worried. "Are you okay? Are you feeling sick again?"

"No, I'm fine." Daehyun assured me.

"What happened then?" I questioned. "Did . . . did you hear from Mr. Kim?"

Daehyun never replied but kissed my forehead lightly. "What if I did? Would his answer matter to you?"

"Of course." I replied. "It basically means whether or not we can go out or not."

"I was afraid you'd say that." Daehyun replied sadly, a shadow of a grin etched on his face.

"Why? What happened, Daehyun?" I demanded.

"He . . . hyungnim . . . he said no." Daehyun frowned, his eyebrows creasing together.

"What?" I asked, completely shocked. "Really? No! No! That can't be true! Tell me you're lying! Please! Daehyun, please, tell me you're lying!"

"I'm sorry." Daehyun told me, and embraced me again. I let my tears fall and I buried my face into his chest. I didn't think about ruining his t-shirt with my salty tears and he didn't seem to care either.

"No." I repeated over and over again as the sobs racked through my chest. "No."

"Ssh." Daehyun soothed me and patted my back, in an attempt to comfort me. "Everything will be alright."

"How? Tell me how everything will be alright." I commanded.

"I don't know." Daehyun admitted. "But it will be, trust me."

"Daehyun oppa." I said, and another fresh wave of tears started to fall.

"Jagiya, ssh, don't cry. Don't cry." Daehyun rested his chin on the crown of my head. His arms tightened around me. This couldn't be happening. Not to me. Not to us.

 

*                      *                       *

 

I pressed the elevator button, and cast a shifty glance around me. I didn't relax until the doors shut, blocking everyone's view of me. I let out a shaky breath as the elevator ascended.

When it ding opened, I shuffled forwards down the all too familar hallway and stopped outside the wood doors. I knew I shouldn't be here, especially at such an ungodly hour, but I couldn't help myself.

I knocked, swallowing any guilt I might feel about disturbing Mr. Kim's work. I had come here to do one thing, and I had one purpose only - change Mr. Kim's mind.

A voice sounded from within, telling me to come in. I summoned up the remainder of my courage and pushed the door open. Mr. Kim put down his pen that he was writing with in interest. He regarded me for a few moments, and then gestured for me to sit down, which I did.

"WHat brings you here, Joyce?" Mr. Kim asked me.

"Daehyun told me." I replied curtly.

"Really? I told him to cease all contact with you, but I guess that he deemed a goodbye was necessary." Mr. Kim said thoughtfully. "You shouldn't have come here, Joyce."

"I know. But, you should have told me yourself. I shouldn't have to find out as the words were passed down through various sources." I shot back at him.

"I was going to call you today, Miss Lee." Mr. Kim told me bluntly.

"Why wouldn't you tell me yesterday?" I asked him, curious at his reasoning.

"I wanted to check something." He replied mysteriously.

"What?"

"An experiment if you will." Mr. Kim told me, and I frowned at his cryptic words. "So far it has been going as I expected."

 

"Why?" I demanded, not even bothering to waste any time on the hidden message behind his words.

"Because, this is only young love. Do you not think in a few years you will regret this whole thing? How much trouble has this relationship cause you, and don't lie, because Seungpyo told me everything." Mr. Kim said and raised his eyebrows. "I'm simply saving you the hassle of breaking up in the near future."

"What?" I asked, incredulous. "You're doing this because we aren't as old as you think we should be?"

"That isn't a good enough reason?"

"No! Everyone experiences young love, some relationships last, and others don't, but shouldn't it be up to decide whether or not ours lasts?" I tried to make him understand my point of view, trying to make him see that his way was unjust.

"You think that your love will last?" Mr. Kim guessed. "Then why is it you here, trying to convince me, and not Daehyun? Why did he tell you last night instead of keep the truth from you and try to convince me himself?"

I had no answer for that. I opened and closed my mouth like a goldfish.

"Exactly." Mr. Kim told me.

"But, maybe he's b-"

I was cut off by a sharp knock at the door. Mr. Kim steepled his fingers together and leaned back in his chair. A ghost of a smile was on his face.

"Come in." He said, slightly amused.

I swivled around in my chair as the door burst open. I gasped when I saw a very harassed Daehyun.

"Hyungnim, I need to talk to you. You can't do this! It's not-" Daehyun stopped when he saw me. "Bambi! What are you doing here?"

"Daehyun, I could ask you the same." I replied.

"Well I'm here to try and convince Mr. Kim to change his mind." Daehyun told me.

"Same."

"Well then, convince me." Mr. Kim told us, as Daehyun took his seat beside me. He discreet;y grabbed my hand and gave it a reassuring squeeze.

 

"What more is there for us to say? We've already told you everything we can think of. Is it not enough that you can see our desperation? Is that not enough proof for you?" I asked in exasperation. "Is it not clear to you that even though we drifted apart for a while, we came back together, and now we're stonger than ever?"

"Hyungnim. You once told me that you hadn't the best experience with young love, so why are you ruining our opportunity to experience a happy time? This could be your chance to have a good experience with it. Don't ruin it, for both our sakes." Daehyun added his piece.

"Tell me, what's so special about this particular relationship?" Mr. Kim asked.

"There's no way to describe it. When I'm with her, I'm happy. When I'm not with her, I'm worried about her. When she's hurt, I hurt too. When she's with me, I feel a high that I've never experience before." Daehyun said and gave me a small smile. The corner of my mouth twitched up in response.

"There is nothing that makes this particular relationship special in the sea of thousands that there are already there. But, there is something that is just there when I'm with Daehyun. A feeling that I'm safe and I'm happy. There's just that extra something that is there. Neither of us are any different from any couple around the world, but there is a feeling that we are." I said, giving my view.

"You see, isn't this much better?" Mr. Kim asked, shocking me by his jovial tone.

"What do you mean?" I asked in confusion.

"I've always felt that people are the most honest when they are desperate. Don't you find these reasons much more convining that this relationship will help you sing a song better, and that this is love?" Mr. Kim quoted us from yesterday and I blushed.

"What does this mean then?" Daehyun asked, still a little lost, like me.

"It means yes." Mr. Kim told us and broke out into a grin.

"Yes?" Daehyun and I echoed together.

"It means that you have a yes. You two didn't even know the other was coming, yet you still came. That says volumes to me. I will help you keep this a secret. You two have the go ahead." Mr. Kim told us solemnly.

"R-really?" I asked, hardly daring to believe it.

"Yes." Mr. Kim promised.

I turned to Daehyun at the same time he did to me, and he encompassed me in a rib crushing hug. I was his, and he was mine. That wasn't going to change now.

 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

A/N:

Now, he said yes ^^

I have a German Oral today, so wish me luck ^^ I did study for once ^^ And by study, I mean learn one conversation off by heart. Yes, in my school, they don't teach you how to have a conversation, they teach you one particular conversation, and if the examiner strays from that - you're screwed!

Anyways, please comment ^^

~* Fighting *~