A Work Of Art

The English Teacher

 

 

A loud knocking on the door woke me up, and I threw the quilt off of me. I didn't even bother checking my appearance and how I looked, before I just walked sleepily towards the door. Sometimes when I'm tired, I don't think properly.

I dragged my feet dreaily to the front door. I didn't have to be afraid that it was Dongyul. I don't know where he was gone, and I didn't want to know either, but Ahjussi and Mr. Kim had taken care of him.

I rubbed my eyes as I unlocked the door and opened it. I blinked rapidly when I seen who it was, trying to decide whether or not I was seeing things.

"Daehyun?" I asked in confusion.

"Joyce." Daehyun smiled at me. He was dressed nicely, not in stage clothes, but too fancy for casual wear.

"What are you doing here?" I asked him, suddenly aware that I was in raggedy pyjama's. I pulled the door closed a little bit, and hid my body behind the door. My hair was a useless case. I knew that it probably looked like a rat's nest right now.

"I'm here to pick you up." Daehyun said, trying to bit back his laughter.

"Pick me up?"

"Yeah, I got a free day today." Daehyun barged past me, and walked into my room. He headed to the front room and sat down on the couch, spreading his arms wide.

"Free day?" I shut the door and looked at him.

"Yeah, you're going to spend it with me." Daehyun told me matter-of-factly.

"I am?" I asked. "I don't think so. I have to go see Nana."

"No, you don't. You're coming with me." Daehyun told me, and I raised an eyebrow.

"Says who?"

"Me." Daehyun told me simply. "Listen, hyungnim gave me a free day, I don't know when I'll get another one, can't you spen it with me?"

I wavered when Daehyun asked me sweetly. "Fine." I conceeded.

"Good." He beamed. "Now, go get ready. Unless you want to go out with mad hair."

I blushed in embarassment and scurried into my room. I shut the door and leaned my back against it. A gentle smile played on the corners of my mouth.

 

*                        *                        *

 

"So, what are we going to do?" I asked as we walked down the street.

"I don't know yet." Daehyun told me.

"Then where are we going?" I asked in confusion.

"I don't know that either." Daehyun smiled sheepishly.

"Pabo." I teased and playfully poked at his cheek.

Daehyun made a grab for my arm, but his hand stopped in mid-air when he realised that it was my broken hand. He looked at it, and sighed heavily.

"No." I told him, knowing what he was thinking. He was blming himself for not getting there sooner and saving me. He'd be damned if he thought that he was ruining our day out because of thoughts like that.

"What?" Daehyun asked, a little startled.

"I know what you're thinking. You're blaming yourself that my cast isn't covered in signatures, and it's not colourful." I guessed playfully, trying to get his mind off what he was really thinking about.

"You're right." Daehyun's expression brightened. "Let's fix that first, shall we?"

I laughed as Daehyun grabbed my hand and marched into the nearest convienence store. He brought a wide array of markers in different colour. He bought one for every colour of the rainbow.

He dropped them all on the conveyor belt, and the clerk was a little startled by the sheer amount of colours and quantity he had bought.

The middle aged woman pushed her spectacles further up her nose to prevent them from falling, while she ogled at Daehyun. I felt a little uncomfortable under her stare, but Daehyun didn't even blink - an advantage of being an idol, I guess.

Daehyun handed her a crisp bill to pay the total. Before she had a chance to give him back the change, he had left the store, taking me with him by the wrist.

 

Daehyun walked into the nearest café, setting off a little chiming bell that signalled our arrival. His eye's quickly scanned the room, and he marched over to a table hidden in the corner.

I sat down opposite Daehyun. I took off my jacket, as the the café was warm and humid. I draped it across the back of my chair.

"Have you had breakfast yet?" Daehyun asked me, and I shook my head. He tsked at me and picked up a menu left on the table. He handed it over to me. "Pick something."

I gingerly opened the menu and scanned through everything. It was all so expensive and there was nothing suitable for breakfast. As nice as 'Confit of salmon with new potato, crab crush and dill drizzle' sounded, it was exactly something you could eat at eight in the morning as your first meal of the day.

"Excuse me?" I asked a near-by waiter. The teenage boy turned around and gave me a dazzling smile.

"Yes? How can I help you, miss?" He asked, and arched an eyebrow.

"Um . . ." I said, a little embarassed of what I was asking and my cheeks flushed. "Do you . . . by any chance . . . have just plain waffles or something like that?"

"Waffles?" He asked and cocked his head to the side, contemplating. I bit down on my lip. "Of course. I'll rustle up some for you and your brother."

"Yah! I'm not her-" Daehyun started to say, but the waitor was already gone. "Rude," He said instead.

Daehyun spilled his markers over the table and began to organise them in order of their colour.

"Crazy person." I told him, and gave me a toothy grin.

"Hey, you're the one who loves me."

"Egotistical, crazy person." I added a new adjective.

"Hey, hey, hey." Daehyun said and raised his hands in the year. "We've already established that you love me, no need to keep saying it."

I laughed and rolled my eyes. I was happy today - really happy. Maybe it was because Daehyun was beside me. Maybe it was because it was because everything was going right. Maybe it was something else, but it didn't matter. I was happy right now.

 

Daehyun brushed the markers aside and made space for the waiter to put the two plates of steaming waffles down.

"Thank you." Daehyun and I chorused together.

"You're welcome." He said, specifically to me. The waiter gave me a wink and walked off. I repressed a shudder.

Thanks, but no thanks.

I was flattered that he had paid me a "compliment", but in all honesty, who could even spare someone else even a glance, when they had Jung Daehyun? The answer? A mad person.

"." Daehyun muttered bitterly and dug into his food. A small smile grew on my face. I was happy that Daehyun got jealous over me, so sue me. It was a sign that he cared about me.

Daehyun was done in under two seconds flat. I offered him one of my waffles, and I could see the desire in his eyes to take it, but in the end, he refused - rather reluctanlty.

To take his mind off of the tempting, mouth watering waffles, he took my left arm, leaving me in a position to eat awkwardly. He stretched it across the table and took the lid off a marker.

Daehyun placed the tip of the pen on the white material, and made it his canvas. He began to create a design, and I couldn't quite make it out. I ate my waffles, half concentrating on what he was drawing. The rest of my attention was focused on him.

His face was contorted in concentration, his eyebrows were pulled down, and he stuck his tongue slightly out of his mouth. He looked like a little kid, completely focused on his masterpiece.

"Okay, I'm nearly finished." Daehyun told me. "But, I have to go to the bathroom. So, don't look at it yet!" He warned and wagged a finger at me.

"Okay, oppa." I said diligently, polishing off the rest of my food.

"No peeking." Daehyun told me again, and walked off again.

 

"Finished?" A voice asked out of nowhere and I jumped a foot in the air. "Oh! Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you."

I stared at the apologetic waiter, coming to my senses.

"No, it's okay, I'm just a bit jumpy, don't apologise. But, yes, I am finished." I added, and handed him the stacked plates.

"Oh, what's this?" He asked and pointed to my cast.

"My oppa is drawing something." I told him proudly. His mouth mimed the word 'oppa'.

"Can I add something too?" He asked, and I hesitated.

"I'm sorry, but I don't think you can. Daehyun oppa is creating a work of art." I grinned.

"Really?" I couldn't tell if he was mocking or not. "Well, if I draw something else for you, will you keep it?"

"Oh . . . um . . . sure?" I said, a tad flustered. Why was he asking this all of a sudden.

The waiter took a lid off one of the pens and began to write on a napkin. I frowned when I saw him scribble a few numbers.

"Here." He said and handed me the tissue. I looked at it nd din't take it. It had his name, Shin Junwook, and his number. I just stared at it, not saying anything for a while.

"Um, I think that you misunderstood." I said slowly.

"What do you mean?" Junwook asked me.

"What are you doing?" A voice asked from behind, and I saw a very, very annoyed Daehyun.

"Oppa."

"Yah, I asked you what you're doing. Listen, I can't deny that you've got taste if you like Joy, but you want to understand one thing. She. Is. Taken." Daehyun said, and snatched the tissue away from him. He ripped the tissue up into a thousand little pieces.

"What the heck?" Junwook asked indignantly. "Who are you to say that?"

"Me? I am her boyfriend, so back off." Daehyun growled through clenched teeth.

The waiter muttered a curse under his breath and walked off. He was back shortly, and slammed something down on the table. He walked off without a backwards glance.

"Silly oppa." I commented. "Jealous oppa. Pabo oppa."

"Yah, you're the one making me jealous." Daehyun defended himself. "I wouldn't be jealous if he weren't trying to take you away from me."

I grinned. "Still, I'm glad that you care enough to get jealous."

Daehyun cracked a smile, all traces of his earlier anger disappearing. I took my hand gently and continued his work.

 

"There." Daehyun announced and held up my hand, proud of himself. "All done."

I stifled a yawn, and bent my arm so that I could get a good look at my arm. I grinned broadly, and I probably looked like my face was split in two.

It was a cartoon of a couple. The pair were sitting on a bench. The girl was blushing and holding a balloon that said, "I love Daehyun oppa", and the boy was kissing the girl on the cheek.

"Thank you, Daehyun oppa." I cooed. "You're the best cartoonist this side of Seoul."

Daehyun smiled. "You really like it?"

"Of course." I told him, and admired my new favourite piece of art. "But . . . what are we going to do now? It's-" I checked my watch. "- ten o'clock. We have the whole day to do something."

"Hmm, shall we go on a train ride?" Daehyun asked, and his eyes gleamed with excitement.

"Where?" I asked. I couldn't say no and take the sparkle out of his eyes.

"Busan!" Daehyun told me giddily.

"Busan?" I asked in shock. "What's in Busan?"

"Me." Daehyun grinned.

"Ani, you're here." I .

"Aish." Daehyun shock his head in mock annoyance. "Come on, then. You're coming to Busan."

"Now?" I asked.

"Yeah." Daehyun smiled. "Now."

 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

A/N:

It's an abrupt ending, but all I want to do is sleep ^^

~* Fighting *~