Liar Liar

The English Teacher

 

 

I placed a white cloth on Daehyun's forehead. I was lost, I never knew how to deal with sick people, but usually there was someone around at least to help me in these types of situations. Now, I had to deal with it by myself.

Daehyun was still curled up in the foetal position, his eyes were scrunched shut and his face was contorted in obvious pain. My heart went out to him. What had he done to get this sick?

I pushed his fringe out of his face and moved the cloth so that it was cooling more of his face. I looked up, and a blanket draped across an armchair caught my attention.

I grabbed it, and draped it over Daehyun's shivering frame. I couldn't understand it. How could he have such a temperature, yet still be cold? I tried to tuck the blanket around him, so he would feel like he was in a cocoon.

This was exactly why I never wanted to be a nurse or doctor. I was helpless when someone was in trouble. I avoided illnesses like a plague - and in some cases it could have been, you never know!

I crouched down on my hunkers right in front of him and began to cool his face with the cloth, trying to combat his raging temperature.

"Daehyun-ah?" I called out to him.

"Hmm?" He made a sound, and I assumed that he could hear me.

"I'm going to call someone to come and help you, okay?" I informed him

His eyes opened slowly, and he blinked rapidly for a few moments. His eyes fell on me, and I stopped using the cloth. I unfolded it, so that it covered more of his forehead, and I got the phone out of my back pocket.

"No, don't." Daehyun managed to say with difficulty; I gave him a stern look.

"I'll can either call Yongguk or Ahjussi." I told him in a no nonense tone of voice. "You can choose, but do it quickly or else you'll get worse."

"Yo-you can't." Daehyun managed to choke out.

"Why not?" I asked in confusion and raised a brow.

"You're not supposed to be here, if either of the managers find out, they won't let me see you again." Daehyun managed to say inbetween long pauses.

"Pabo." I scolded him, "You're ill, so decide - quickly."

I was bouncing my phone slightly on my knee while I was talking, and Daehyun reached out and grabbed my wrist.

"You're making me dizzy." He explained, and I sighed heavily.

"Exactly why we should get you help." I countered.

"Shh," Daehyun shushed me and closed his eyes, "just let me sleep . . . Don't call them."

 

Within seconds, Daehyun was asleep and snoring lightly. I glanced at my phone, I needed to call someone, there was no other alternative.

I unlocked my phone by sliding my thumb across the screen. I opened the phone book and scrolled through my contacts. I hesitated for a moment on who I should call.

Ahjussi would be mad at me for seeing Daehyun, never mind being at the dorm with him, especially with the swarm of fans outside. Yongguk probably wouldn't shout, so much as speak in a world weary tone of voice, like I'd personally disappointed him, even though he was the one who "unbanned" Daehyun (whatever that means).

Such thoughts were going through my head, when I clicked on the call button. The dialling seemed to go on forever, and the person whom I was calling didn't seem to hear their phone ringing for ages.

"Yobesyo?" They said at last.

"Nana, where are you?" I asked.

"Joy? I'm at the canteen in TS. Where did you go off to? I thought you'd be here too." Nana replied casually, the complete opposite from my flustered mood.

"Nana, I need help. Daehyun . . . h-he's sick, and I don't know what to do!" I told her; I was close to hysterics at this point.

"Oh, no." She muttered and I could tell that she was thinking back to the time she was sick in school before.

Nana had ended up fainting in the lunch line because some of some immature kids pushing in the back of the line. Basically, some one ended up pushing Nana, and because she was do light headed from lack of oxygen, she collapsed.

I was in front of her at the time, and I thought that she was pushing me, so when she fell on me, I pushed her off. She ended up falling and hitting her head on the floor.

Instead of being a good friend and helping her, I stood there like a confused fish out of water. In the end, someone else ended up helping her up and then asked me if I was okay.

Thankfully, that was when I came to my senses, but the guy still escorted her out. Nana wasn't in school for the following two days and the lunch line became a lot more orderly after that.

 

"What are you going to do?" Nana asked worriedly.

"I don't know, that's why I called you!" I shrieked in a whisper, so I wouldn't wake Daehyun up. But, hey, he said not to call Ahjussi or Yongguk and I didn't.

"What's wrong with him?"

"I don't know! He . . . he just complained that his stomach hurt and he has a fever but he's shivering right now." I told her in a panic.

"Joy, calm down." Nana told me sternly, enunciating each syllable slowly and clearly.

"What's wrong? Did hyung do something?" I heard someone say in the background, but I couldn't quite make out who it was.

"Zelo, I can't hear." Nana hissed at the speaker, and my eyebrows shot up my forehead. Zelo, eh?

"Nana, I need help!"

"Okay, okay." Nana said in exasperation, "Where are you?"

"In their dorm." I told her.

"Their dorm?" Nana asked, incredulous. "What are you doing there?"

"I don't know. Does it really matter?" I asked her impatiently.

"Did you call anyone else?"

"No, Daehyun said not to call anyone, but I'm freaking out right now. Who knows what may be wrong with him."

"Joyce, stop. It'll be fine. Don't do anything stupid and stop freaking out. I'll be there real soon." Nana promised.

"Hurry." I told her and hung up.

 

*              *            *

 

I brushed Daehyun's fringe out of his eyes and put the fresh cloth on his forehead. His eyes opened, scaring me. 

Daehyun stared at the ceiling for a few moments, getting his bearings, and then turned his gaze to me.

"Are you feeling better?" I asked him softly.

Daehyun didn't reply to my question with words, but made a small nod of the head. He pushed himself up so he he was sitting up instead of lying down.

"How long was I asleep?" He asked me, and his voice sounded a lot stronger to me.

"Fifteen minutes? I'm not sure." I told him.

"Wh-"

Daehyun was interupted by a knock on the door. I stood up and my knees clicked on the way up. I shuddered at the grating sound, I really hated when they did that. I was thanking my lucky stars that Nana was finally here.

Daehyun on the other hand, wasn't feeling so calm. He fell out of the bed from shock and struggled to get up and regain his compusure.

I offered a hand to him, and he accepted it. I hauled him to his feet.

"Tha- Hey!" Daehyun cried in annoyance when I pushed him back onto the sofa.

"Sit down, you're still sick." I scolded him.

"Joyce, don't answer it." Daehyun warned me, as I started walking towards the door.

"What? Why?" I froze a few steps away from the door.

"If the managers know you're here, we'll be in so much trouble." Daehyun told me. "I already got in trouble from the article - if they find out you're here, I'll be dead."

I pondered what he said for a few moments, but then threw caution to the wind and opened the door. A distracted Nana and an apprehensive Zelo (who were holding hands, by the way) greeted me.

 

"Zelo!" I exclaimed.

"Hey, Joy. How are you?" Zelo asked.

"I'm alright, and you?"

"I'm alright." I smiled and looked pointedly at their joined hands.

Nana blushed red and snatched her hand out of Zelo's. I didn't miss the look of disappointment that flickered briefly across his face either. 

I'm going to grill Nana over this tonight, I promised myself.

"Where's Daehyun?" Nana asked me, and I pointed to the quizzical and confused boy on the couch.

"He just woke up a few seconds ago." I said.

"What are you guys doing here?" Daehyun asked, befuddled.

"Joy had a panic attack because you were sick and she can't deal with those type of things, so here I am." Nana said and held her hands out from her body.

"I'm fine now." Daehyun told her earnestly, earning a few raised brows from Zelo, Nana and I.

"Hyung, then why is your face so pale?" Zelo asked innocently.

 

*               *             *

 

I sighed and shut the hotel door with a bang. I kicked my shoes off and sank down into the nearest chair.

Zelo had sent Nana and I home with the comapny van when it was on the way to pick the other B.A.P members up. Before we had left, Daehyun had made me promise to meet him tomorrow and then he was sent to bed by Zelo. I think Zelo was enjoying the role reversal a little too much.

I had agreed. We still had a lot more to talk about - things that we couldn't discuss because he was sick and then Nana and Zelo were there.

Nana laughed at my exhausted behaviour. I still had to tell her about Dongyul and what he had done, and there was no time like preent. Afterall, what if he tried to do the same to her?

"Hey, Nana. About Dongul-"

"I know, Zelo told me." Nana's expression changed from cheerful to more serious.

"How did-"

I was cut off by a knock at the door. I mentally groaned and got up to answer it. Nana laughde easily again and went to go shower, leaving me to answer the door.

I wrenched the door open and went to slam it shut again as soon as I saw the visitor. However, they must have predicted my reaction because they had wedged their foot in the door.

"Joy, can I speak to you for a second?" Dongyul asked politely.

"Why? So you can harass me again?" I asked spitefully.

"No, I need a favour." Dongyul told me.

"What?" I had forgotten that his room was right across the hall from ours. Coincidentally, he was also the one who booked the hotel.

"I need you to see the CEO about me."

"I thought you were already in?" I asked in confusion.

"No, apparently not. They need a reference from someone, and I need you to give it."

"Why me? Why not Nana?"

"You're the one who still owes me. Nana won't do it for me, you know that. However, I was the one who got you to Korea, I can still send you back with one phone call to your Father." Dongyul threatened.

"Are you blackmailing me?" I asked in anger.

"I'm glad you caught on." Dongul smirked and handed me a piece of paper, "Just come here at twelve tomorrow."

He left me dumbfounded at the doorway. That was the time that I was supposed to be meeting Daehyun. Did I really have to decide which one I was supposed to go to?

My choice at the moment was either go and help Dongyul and not see Daehyun, or else go and patch things up with Daehyun, but be sent home.

 

______________________________________________________________________________________________________