Calm Before the Storm

The English Teacher

 

 

"Joyce, get up." Nana commanded from above me.

"I don't wanna," I complained and snuggled further into my heavy duvet. No matter what kind of weather it was, a thick blanket was a must.

"We have to go meet Ahjussi now, so get up." Nana insisted and tugged on my duvet.

I whimpered as the frigid, cold air washed over me. Maybe I was being a tad dramatic, but it was like the Artic in here. Nana has this amazing ability to never, ever get cold. Therefore, she always failed to put the heating on in the morning (or at any time really), and she always left windows open.

"Wae? Can I not sleep some more?" I moaned and curled up in a little ball.

"No, stop moping and get your lazy out of bed." Nana said and pulled me off the bed by the ankle.

I screeched as I hit the floor with a loud thud.

"Nana! What the hell?!" I asked in annoyance.

"You do. I will repay you back." Nana finished and started to sing B.A.P's song, "What the Hell."

"Oh my God, shut up!" I growled and threw my cushion at her. "You can't sing!"

"Wanna bet?" Nana challenged and raised her eyebrows.

"No, no." I protested and sat up fully.

"Too bad," Nana told me and started dancing and singing to Twinkle. It had only been out a short while, but we were already addicted to it. However, with our lack of musical talent, we severly depricated the song and dance for many people.

"Okay, okay, I'll get up." I bargained, "Anything to shut you up."

 

*                  *                 *

 

"Why are we meeting Ahjussi?" I asked Nana as she dragged me down the street. "And why did I have to dress in these?"

I held the hem of my top out from my body. Nana had insisted on dressing me today. I couldn't be bothered fighting with her at eight in the morning, so I had gotten into the dressy but casual outfit she had given me.

"I'm not sure, he just rang last night, while you were asleep in a café-" Nana shot me a death glare, "- and asked to meet us at half nine. And, I dressed you up nicely because we are going somewhere after this."

I sighed and rolled my eyes. "Where are we going?"

"When? Now or later?" Nana asked me and continued marching down the street.

"Both."

"Well, we're going to TS now, Ahjussi wants to confirm something, but he wouldn't tell me what, so don't bother asking. As for later, it's a surprise." Nana said and winked at me.

"Annoying person," I muttered and then groaned. "Why do I have to go to TS today?"

"Don't worry, Daehyun won't be there. I asked Ze- Ahjussi." Nana hurruedly corrected herself.

"Aish! You're so annoying!" I told her and flailed my arms. "You won't tell me what's happening with you."

"You'll find out soon enough." Nana promised and I froze.

"What? Jeongmal?" I asked, and stopped in the middle of the street.

"Yes, I'll tell you tonight." Nana sighed. "Now stop standing in the middle of the street, and c'mon."

"Why are you going to tell me all of a sudden?" I asked, and allowed Nana to link my arm and lead me towards TS.

"I feel bad for you." Nana told me bluntly, and I would be lying if I said that it didn't sting. "Besides, it will cheer you up from Daehyun, right?"

 

When we got into the building, Nana surprised me. Instead of going up to the reception desk like I assumed she would, she headed straight for the stairs and headed up them.

We only climbed two flights of stairs and Nana ignored my questions. We emerged on a busy hallway with employees moving in packs with large folders and letters in their hands.

We passed by all the curious people and Nana lead to me an office with Ahjussi's name typed in bold on the door. Nana rapped lightly on the door and walked straight in, without even waiting someone to call her in.

Ahjussi's office was very different to Mr. Kim's. His office was more cramped in comparision to Mr. Kim's spacious, luxury workplace. Ahjussi still had a nice office, it just wasn't as comfortable as Mr.Kim's.

He had two chairs opposite his desk, one of which was currently occupied by Mr.Kim.

"Joyce, Nana." Ahjussi said and stood up, cutting Mr. Kim off mid sentence.

Ahjussi gestured to the seats and Mr. Kim looked around. He caught my eyes and smiled at me. I smiled tentaively back at him and inclined my head towards him.

"Hyung-nim, these are my friends daughters, Joyce and Nana." Ahjussi introduced us, and Nana bowed at him.

"I know Joyce, I met her yesterday." Mr. Kim informed Ahjussi and I nodded.

"It was about Dongyul." I added.

"Oh, really? How did that go?" Ahjussi asked and folded his arms. "I was worried about how the interviews, to be honest with you."

"They went fine, I think." Mr. Kim answered for me. "Say, Seungpyo, did you hear about Joyce's boyfriend?"

I froze and Ahjussi's eyes widened and he glared at me. I felt Nana stiffen beside me as well.

"H-her boyfriend?" Ahjussi asked in shock.

"Yes, you see, Mr. Choi told me that he was dating Miss Lee, but she denied that." Mr. Kim explained.

"Ah, Mr. Kim, I already told you that I wasn't going out with him." I told him and shook my hands at him.

"It's true, sir. She was going out with someone else, but that . . . didn't work out?" Nana sounded unsure of how to end her sentence and it came off as a question.

"You know, she did mention that she was trying to fix things with another person." Mr. Kim thought aloud, and I felt Ahjussi's icy gaze on me, "Have you managed it yet?"

"No," I smiled sadly, "I think that I messed it all up too much."

"Ah, don't be like that. I was actually thinking of trying to sort thing out with my daughter because of your little speech." Mr. Kim told me with a grin. "I can't do that if you've gone against what you told me. Miss Lee gave me a very wise opinion, Seungpyo. Who is he anyway? Does he not recognise a little gem like you?"

I laughed, "Trust me, Mr. Kim, you wouldn't approve my choice - Ahjussi doesn't."

 

We spent a while talking to Mr. Kim, I could tell that he also took a shine to Nana as well. He even told her that she would make a great variety idol if she could sing, because of her lightning fast humor, and the fact that she has the most catchy laugh I've ever heard.

However, I rushed in to dash his hopes and told him that if he would prefer to hear nails on a chalk board instead of her tones. If Daehyun had honey tones, then Nana's were lemon.

Ahjussi also relaxed into the joking atmosphere, came up with a few of his own jokes and it was a nice enviroment. It was a family one that I longed for for so long. I think that ever since I returned to England after being in Seoul, Appa had put a distance between ourselves.

The atmosphere didn't last long though, as Mr. Kim left to go to a meeting and give Ahjussi, Nana and I some privacy where we could talk.

Mr. Kim left though, telling us that he would look into getting us some internship with the company, where we could get some real life experience. I guess that he really thought of us as family.

I was surprised for the reason that Ahjussi called us to TS. He only wanted to ask how the meeting went with Dongyul and Mr. Kim.

"That could have been done through phone!" I whined. "Why did I have to get up so early?"

"I did call, but you weren't in. Then, when I offered to call back, Nana insisted that you come down." Ahjussi protested.

"Nana, I hate you." I told her fiercely.

"Love you too, Joy." Nana responded.

 

*                 *                 *

 

All too soon, we were off again. Ahjussi never wanted anything important, he just wanted to know all about how the meeting with Mr. Kim went. Therefore, we just chatted aimlessly for a while and then left the perfect place with perfect people.

To be perfectly honest, I had no idea where Nana was dragging me. She took me down alleyways, doubled back and did multiple U-turns. It was like we were in a maze and she was deliberately trying to confuse me.

When I called her out on it, she went back to her most basic and frequently used defence - she said nothing and completely ignored me.

After what seemed like weeks of walking, we arrived at our destination. I looked up at the brightly lit neon sign with flashy in-your-face fluorescent lights.

I scoffed in disbelief. "Of all places, why Lotte World?" I asked Nana.

"Because we went here when everything went wrong, so if we go here again, everything should go right again." Nana beamed.

"There was a difference then. For starters B.A.P were with us." I told her in disbelief. I knew she could be childlike sometimes, but had this really gone over her head?

"I know, I improvised." Nana replied and went on her tip toes, trying to see over the heads of the crowd.

I followed her line of direction and frowned. There was one extrenely happy looking tall person and a grumpy peron walking towards us.

"Come on, hyung, it'll be fun." I heard the maknae cheer up his friend.

"Zelo, if you wanted to go to a park, you should have brought Youngjae or Jongup, someone who would actually have fun." I heard Daehyun respond in a voice that would rival his grumpy expression.

"Yeah, but they're not as depressed as you, and beides I have a present for you." Zelo said enthusastically.

"Like what?" Daehyun asked, and even though he was a few metres away, his eyes locked with mine as son as he looked up.

 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

A/N:

I lied - well, I didn't mean to. Screw my English essay and L.C.V.P project :D

It's kind of short, but I didn't want to ramble and I feel that the next chapter will be long ^_^

Please comment ^_^

~* Fighting *~