Bus Home

The English Teacher

 

The cart slowly began to creep to a halt. I was shaking. That was the most terrifying thing I had ever been on. Over half of the ride was upside down, and I felt as if the only thing holding me in – a bar of iron - would slip at any second, and I would fall rushing towards the ground. People may call me a wuss, but I call myself sensible and safe.

Apparently though, the same cannot be said for Daehyun. He was laughing his head off the entire time, from the adrenaline rush he was getting. That idiotic boy let go of the hand rails at one point, while we were mid-way through a loop-the-loop. I mean, can he get anymore reckless?

After the ride, it took me a while to get my legs back. On the other hand, Daehyun was as giddy as a kid on Christmas Eve. He was hopping up and down on the spot with an enormous grin on his face. This seemed to calm down some of the apprehensive people who were at the front of the line, but then they saw the other passengers, who reacted properly – like me. However, at least I retained some of my dignity. Some were falling on the ground, getting sick, and I even saw some girls crying. You might be allowed to mistake it for a crowd of severely drunk people.

Daehyun tugged on my hand, trying to bring me to the next ride, which no doubt would be the same, if not worse than the last.

 

 

 

 

       *             *           *

 

 

 

On the bus home, I sat beside Yongguk and talked to him in English. I had taken to doing this lately. It was far easier than grouping everyone together, and I didn’t feel as self-conscious. I had already had a one-on-one session with Himchan, Jongup and Youngjae.  They were really improving. I was confident that Youngjae could go to an English speaking country now and have a decent conversation. Himchan and Jongup were in the same boat. They were just struggling with pronunciation. They understood everything that was being said to them, but they just had some trouble with talking it themselves. However, with a bit more practice, they should have no bother. 

I started asking Yongguk the questions that Ahjussi asked me to. They were pretty simple. They were questions like; ‘Where did you grow up?’, ‘How did your parents affect our desire to be a singer, and how supportive were they?’, ‘What would you consider your  biggest weakness?’ and ‘What is your biggest strength?'. Basically, they had to answer the type of questions that they would answer in Korean. I helped them to translate the answers that they would give if it was in Korean, but I encouraged them to do it mostly themselves. 

 

 

I was a little shocked at how professional they were. It wasn't the normal type of answer you'd get if you were just talking casually to a friend. It was so formal and polite, and they even said things that I wouldn't have even have thought of in a million years. It made them feel more like idols and fictious people to me, and I didn't like it. I felt as if there was a distance inbetween us now. As if I'd wake up someday to find that this has all just been a wonderful, wonderful dream, but a dream nonetheless.

As expected, Yongguk answered beautifully. He got stuck on a few words, but he couldn't help that. I was so proud of all them so far for doing so much better than I ever would have thought possible. I still had Daehyun and Zelo to get through, but they were both pretty good at English.

Nana had been dossing. She didn't like teaching them English, since she wasn't that confident. She got on easily with people, but her intelligence was a big insecurity of hers. She didn't like people talking about grades and results in front of her, period.

 

 

 

Before we got home, I finished with Yongguk and sat beside Nana who was sitting by herself, bobbing her head to music. I took one of her earphones out and popped it in my ear. I smiled when I heard the song, 'Crayon'. She looked around, startled. She grinned when she saw me, and turned the music down, so we could still hear it, but could talk as well.

"I was thinking of going to pick up my car, do you want to come?" I asked her. I had rung up the garage when Ahjussi had transfered money into my bank account, and I could afford it. They had collected the car and today was the day that it was finally fixed.

"Sure, I'd love to, Joy." She smiled.

I got up, and asked the driver to stop at the garage when he was passing by it. He agreed, and I sat down again beside Nana, and tapped my feet to the beat of the music. Nana looked at me expectanty at the same time I turned my head to face her, as the chorus came on.

"Get your crayon!" We half whispered, half-sang so that no one would hear us, and started doing a little crazy dance. Unfortunately we were near the front, and the driver gave out to us for distracting him. We both blushed red, and apologised. I looked at Nana, which turned out to be a mistake, as we both started giggling. He scolded us again, and we shut up, both as red as tomatoes.

Damn G-Dragon and his awesomness!

 

 

*                  *                *

 

 

We got off, thanking the bus driver. I told B.A.P where we were going, and that we'd be back in roughly twenty to thirty minutes, depending on traffic and various other factors.

Luckily, the car was ready when we got there, so I just had to sign a form and pay the total - which was a lot less than I expected - and fill out an evaluation.

 

 

When we got back to the dorm, Nana and I had a race to see who could get there first, being the childish people we are, and we failed to notice the extra car at the parking lot. We poured through the door, and threw our shoes off. We ran into the front room, and we both shouted; "I'm home!" together.

That's when we noticed Ahjussi and B.A.P sitting on the couch. Ahjussi turned around to face me, and raised his eyebrows.

"You're home, Joy? What do you mean by that? Are you living here?" He asked in a crisp, no nonense tone of voice.

"Erm . . ." I gulped audibly. I had really put my foot in it this time.

Aish, I'm such a pabo sometimes. How am I supposed to explain to him that I've been living here, and dating Daehyun? Going directly against his orders?

 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________