Saviour 2.0

The English Teacher

 

 

 

I turned my head to the side in desperation. I didn't want those lips anywhere near mine. I could feel his breath by now on my cheek.

No! No! No! I was screaming in my head, but I just couldn't seem to get the words out of my mouth. I didn't want to feel his plump lips on my cheek either, it was just as bad.

I remembered what my Appa told me when I was leaving for Seoul the first time round. I could hear his voice clearly in my head.

"Now, Joy, if one of those Seoul guys come on to you and don't get the message to leave, remember there is one thing you can do to get them away." I could hear Appa's voice so distinctly in my head like it was yesterday.

I brought my knee up and hit Dongyul right between the legs.

Dongyul's eyes shot open, and he glared at me. He let out a whimper of pain, and moved away from me. I felt like I could finally breath now. I let out a long sigh.

"What the hell?" Dongyul asked. He was bent over and had his hands covering his crotch.

"What do you think you were doing?" I demanded. "Why would you do that? What would even possess you to do that?"

"What do you mean by that?" Dongyul said and stood up straighter.

My throat felt dry as he began to advance on me once more. He looked terrifying.

"I was the one who persuaded your father to get here. was the one who brought you here. I was the one who took a bloody egg for you. I was the one who saved you from the bullies." Dongyul spat. "And you're telling me that I get nothing for that?"

"I said I'd vouch for you, but I think you got the wrong impression." I whispered. Dongyul like this was just too intimidating for me to handle and for me to think straight right now.

"I don't care much if I got the wrong impression." Dongyul hissed, and I was once again pressed against the wall.

I squeezed my eyes shut and tried to hide my head in my hands. Dongyul yanked my hands away though, and pinned them to the wall, either side of my head.

I turned my head to the side, and I prayed that Nana would come back sharpish and help me. Heaven's knows I needed it right now.

"And I'm the one whose telling you to get off of her." I heard a deadly voice say.

Dongyul's hands left my wrist and I couldn't feel his presence anymore. I opened my eyes nervously, just in time to see Dongyul fall to the floor from a punch to the jaw.

My eyes widened in shock and they travelled up to the perpetrator - the one and only Jung Daehyun.

 

For about the hundreth time that day, my breathing stopped. My eyes were about the size of saucers. I was so shocked, that I didn't know what to do.

I was finally seeing him, and I was tongue tied. I had rehearsed talking to him so often in my head, but now that he was actually here, in the flesh, I found that I didn't know what to say. I couldn't even get the words "thank you" out of my mouth.

"Joyce? Are you alright?" Daehyun asked, but he didn't come closer to me.

Was I alright? I didn't know. Someone had just tried to kiss me, and they had very nearly succeeded. I was seeing Daehyun after so long and I was shell shocked.

Was I okay?

"I . . . I . . . I have to go." I muttered, and stole a peek at Dongyul. He was sitting up and cupping his chin.

I passed by Daehyun and the rest of B.A.P. None of them tried to stop me. My heart was in my throat at this point. I was so confused at to what had just transpired.

"Hyung." I heard someone, maybe Daehyun, whine. "Please."

"Fine, fine. You're officially unbanned, just don't mess it up this time." I heard Yongguk respond.

I couldn't be bothered figuring out their cryptic messages, I was too busy trying to find my way back to the elevator. I rounded a corner, and I bumped into Nana, who just happened to have two hot teas in her hand.

"Ouch!" I exclaimed and held my jumper away from my skin, when the hot liquid collided with my body.

"Oh my gosh, I am so sorry Joy. Are you alright?" Nana asked and I nodded mutely. "But, what are you doing? Shouldn't you be waiting for Dongyul?"

I shook my head at her, and snatched her wrist. I started walking towards the elevator, determined to get out of here. I don't know what was wrong with me. Shouldn't I be jumping for joy at the sight of Daehyun?

"Joyce!"

Nana stopped walking and I couldn't drag the dead weight, so I was forced to stop as well.

"Daehyun? What's he doing here?" Nana wondered aloud. "Joyce, shouldn't you be over there, you know, talking to him, instead of running away?"

I gave her a frantic look. "Nana, I have to get out of here."

"Joy, you need to talk to him." Nana scolded me. "Yah, Jung Daehyun!"

 

Daehyun came around the corner, a little breathless, and he looked just like he had the day that I last saw him. I swallowed hard. My head and heart felt like they were spinning.

He approached me cautiously, like a hunter would an animal who might take flight easily.

"Nana, I didn't know you were here. Zelo is back there if you want to talk to him." Daehyun greeted her easily and jerked a thumb over his shoulder in the direction he had just come.

"Oh, really?" Nana asked, picking up on the not-so-subtle hint. "I better go and see him. See you later, Joy."

Nana removed my grip off of her, and massaged her wrists slightly. She walked off with a guilty head, not even looking back at me. I heard her whisper "good luck" and "fighting" to Daehyun as she passed him.

I was still holding my blazer out from my body with one hand. Daehyun's eyes locked with mine, and my throat went dry. His eyes dropped and fell to where I was holding the fabric.

"Oh, crap." Daehyun murmured and shrugged off his purple cardigan.

He walked up to me, and slowly pulled my wet blazer off of me and replaced it with his cardigan.

"It doesn't help much, but it's better than nothing right?" Daehyun gave me his signature smile - the smile that sent fans weak at the knees. "It doesn't really help at all, does it?"

I was cluching my blazer like it was my lifeline, like it was the only thing that I possessed in the world.

"Thank you." I whispered, and Daehyun smiled.

The silence seemed to stretch on for ages. I was trying to gather my thoughts and say the apology that I badly wanted to say. This was my chance, and I was determined to take it.

"Daehyun, I-" I began, but was cut off.

"Come on, let's go somewhere." Daehyun said all of a sudden.

"What? Where?" I asked, but my question was ignored as Daehyun as grabbed my arm and dragged me away from the elevator doors and towards another door leading off of the hallway.

"It's faster." He said by a means of explanation, and I doubted him. What could be faster than an elevator? I didn't get the chance to voice my question though, because Daehyun was walking too fast.

He pushed open the swing doors and I groaned internally when I saw the huge flight of stairs that we had to go down. This was faster than a lift? How did he arrive at that logic?

Daehyun started to race down them, his feet drilling out a rhythmatic pattern. I struggled to keep up with him. I had never been handy with stairs, I had always opted instead for escalators and elevators.

I clung to the banister with my free hand; my other hand was being held by Daehyun. He was also holding my jumper in his spare hand, and it was swinging out behind him.

I almost fell once, but thankfully, Daehyun caught me on time, seconds before I skidded down the rest of the stairs.

I blushed red, and he helped me get to my feet. I muttered a word of thanks, and then we were running down the stairs again, but this time at a slower pace.

 

When we were at the bottom of the stairs, Daehyun pushed the door that lead into the perfect people's world open. He lead me across the floor, drawing looks. When I looked at him in this light, here, he looked like he belonged in this world of shiny, glossy people.

"Okay, we have to be careful." Daehyun told me. "If I get caught with a girl, I am so dead."

He stuck his head out the door, and looked briefly up and down the street. He nodded once at me, and then charged out the door, pulling me along. I grabbed onto his forearm, since he was quite literally dragging me along.

Daehyun shot me an apologetic look, before looking left and right again. He walked a few steps to the waiting black van. It must have been their company car that they used.

Daehyun quickly slide the door open and stood back for me to get in. I climbed in and Daehyun followed after me.

"Hyung?" Daehyun called, and shook the sleeping driver on the front seat. "Hyung, get up!"

"Huh?" The driver jumped from fright and accidentaly pressed on the car horn. He recovered quickly, though, and turned around and stared at Daehyun and I, wide eyed.

"Who is she?" The driver nodded in my direction, and I felt very self-conscious. Thankfully, he wasn't one of the perect people though, so I didn't feel that insignificant. "Does Yongguk know that you are here? Shouldn't you have practice now?"

"Yongguk hyung needs to talk to the CEO, and I'm still not feeling well, so Joyce said that she'd take me home." Daehyun explained calmly, and I frowned slightly. Was Daehyun sick?

"She looks like she's sick herself." The driver commented and turned around to the front. He twisted the key in the ignition, starting the car up.

Out of nowhere, a hand reached out and lightly touched my forehead, flattening the wrinkles on my forehead. I flinched back in surprise, and stared at the offensive hand. My eyes travelled up to the person it belonged to, and I locked eyes with Daehyun.

"Don't frown, you'll only get wrinkles." Daehyun told me, in an echo of what Dongyul said earlier, the only difference being that I preferred hearing it from this voice and I preferred this hand.

 

The journey was short lived, we were there at our destination in under two minutes. Daehyun and the driver made quips back and forth in a playful manner, and I had found out that Daehyun had gorged himself on food, hence why he was feeling ill.

That idiot.

Before I knew it, we had arrived outside of B.A.P's familar dorm. The driver headed to the underground car park, where we could get out without the fans spying us. As an extra precaution, I also ducked down a little, when we passed by the mass of fans, despite the tinted windows. I saw Daehyun giving me a funny look when I did that, but I ignored it. 

"Thanks, hyung." Daehyun smiled, and clapped the drivers shoulder.

"Yeah, yeah. You know, you don't look so sick to me." The driver said, and Daehyun stuck his tongue out at him. "Point proven."

"Joy, coming?" Daehyun got out of the van, and held out a hand to help me, which I accepted gratefully. "Okay, we can't be caught now."

Daehyun was like a ninja in the car park. He kept whipping his head and back and forth, as if he expected someone to jump out at him. He was so paranoid, I didn't know that he could be like this.

Instead of getting the elevator like normal people, he made me take the stairs again. Except, this time, he went at a normal person's pace. The silence between us was maintained, but it wasn't an uncomfortable silence, it was like one between people who were so at ease with each other, that they didn't need words to fill up the lull inbetween the talk.

"Okay, we're officially safe." Daehyun said, when we finally got inside the dorm. He gave me another smile, and I could barely see his eyes anymore - they were reduced to minute slits.

"From what?" I asked in confusion.

"I told you, stop scrunching your face up." Daehyun told me firmly, and I relaxed my expression. "Much better. We're safe from fans and managers. They always seem to screw things up for us, so now they won't."

 

"Pabo." I muttered under my breath. I smiled softly, before becoming more serious. "Daehyun, I want to say sorry for leaving so suddenly. I should have at least explained myself more fully."

"I know." Daehyun said, matching my seriousness level. "You have some explaining to do."

"I know I do. I just . . . I just . . . " I was fumbling with my words. I didn't know how to phrase what I wanted to say. I couldn't find the right expression nor could I find the right word to explain just what I wanted to say.

"You can start at the start. When did you get back to Korea? Why didn't you call me? Why didn't you tell me you went to England? I think that I deserved to know."

"I know, I know I should have told you. I didn't want to interfer with your career though. It's like we were viewing everything through rose tinted googles. Then, when they were taken off of me, I saw how dangerous it was. If we were found out, you know that the media would love it. I was afraid - afraid of more fans like Taerin and what damage it could do to your career."

"Well, the media found out and the fans didn't find out, or else they don't think anything of it." Daehyun said. "So, your points are moot."

"But they weren't back then!" I defended myself.

"You're like a broken record. You're always saying the same thing." Daehyun commented. "What I want to know is why you never called me after I spoke to you."

"I wasn't allowed to. My phone was taken off of me." I explained.

"Why?" Daehyun asked, patiently, cocking his head to the side. "What did you do?"

I sighed heavily and explained everything to Daehyun - from before the concert right up to what happened with Dongyul outside the CEO's office.

 

"That saekki." Daehyun spat once I had finished my story. "But, you know what?"

I shook my head once at him, and his temperment softened.

"At least I was there for you this time." Daehyun said, and I smiled. Did that mean I was forgiven? "I just want to know one last thing."

"Just the one?" I cocked an eyebrow. "Go on."

"Do you still like me?" Daehyun asked, and came closer to me.

The difference between him and Dongyul was uncanny. When Dongyul came this close to me, I was unnerved and I hated it. When Daehyun was this close to me though, it made my head spin, in the best way possible.

"Yes." I answered.

"Good." Daehyun smiled. "You owe me though, okay? You owe me for leaving."

"What do I owe?" I asked, a little unsure.

"I don't know yet. I'll think of what later." Daehyun replied, coming ever closer to me.

I was frozen in my spot. Daehyun's face was only inches away from mine. His eyes fluttered shut, and I allowed mine to do the same. I could feel his breath on my cheek and my heart had already left my chest.

However, Daehyun didn't kiss me and I opened my eyes when I heard a groan. Daehyun was doubled over, clutching his stomach in obvious agony.

"Daehyun-ah?" I asked, concerned.

Daehyun didn't reply and I began to get worried. His face was pale, and he didn't seem to hear me calling him. I gently grabbed hold of his shoulders and lead him over to the couch. I then softly pushed him down, so that he was laying down. 

I pressed my hand gingerly to his clammy forehead, and withdrew it almost straight away. He was burning up.

"I don't . . . I don't feel so good." Daehyun managed to force out, still holding his stomach.

 

________________________________________________________________________________________________________