Excuse Me?

The English Teacher

 

 

Daehyun's POV:

I was sitting in the front room with the others, when Youngjae and Zelo barged back into the dorm. It was quite a shock, since we were just relaxing in front of the T.V talking about nothing, and all of a sudden the door swung open and ricoched off of the wall.

"Aish, be more careful." Yongguk barked. "Don't damage the walls."

"Yah, Daehyun what the hell?" Youngjae asked me as soon as they got in the room. He looked the most angry I've ever seen him.

"Hyung, you're such an ." Zelo told me and shook his head. "You're heartless."

"Why'd you do it? You crossed a line." Youngjae said, and I was shocked. What line?

"Daehyun, did you eat the tomatoes again? How many bloody times do I have to tell you? If you want me to buy you them, I will, but just don't eat other people's food." Yongguk scolded me.

"I swear I didn't touch anyone else's food. I learnt my lesson after last time." I defended myself.

"Hyung, why did you do it?" Zelo asked me sadly.

"She's hasn't been gone that long." Youngjae added.

"Do what?" I asked. I was started to get frustrated with all the accusations and insults they were throwing at me, especially when I didn't know the reason.

I didn't get an answer, but instead Zelo threw the magazine he was holding at me.

"The Leafy Overview?" I read aloud and then looked at my two friends. "The Ahjumma magazine? What's this for?"

"Just find the page dedicated to you." Youngjae told me icily and I was surprised by the spite in his tone.

I scanned through the index on the front page and found the article that had my name attached to it. I turned the pages slowly, afraid of what I was going to read if Youngjae and Zelo were so angry at me.

I read the title of the magazine and I re-read it. What the hell is this? Is this some kind of joke?

I scanned through the pictures and studied the pictures.

"Hyung, is it true?" Jongup asked me, I hadn't even noticed him reaeding over my shoulder.

I didn't bother answering him, but I ran into my room and started to root through my things, trying to find that elusive piece of paper with the girls name and number on it. Didn't it speak volumes that I couldn't even remember her name?

 

When I finally found it shoved in a jeans pocket, I brought it back into the front room where everyone seemed to be glaring at me in an accusative manner. No doubt they had all read the article and believed it.

"Here." I said and handed the paper to Zelo who was the closest to me. Zelo gave me a dirty look before taking the paper. The left corner of my mouth twitched up in anger.

"I don't care about her name and I sure as hell don't want her number." Zelo spat and tried to hand it back to me.

"Turn it around!" I commanded. Zelo gave me a filthy glare again before doing what I told him. Seriously, what was wrong with this boy? Didn't he have any manners or faith in me? It only less than a month ago before he had begged me not to get angry at him and he had told me I was his favourite hyung.

He's either really bi-polar or he can act really well. How many times did I whine to him about Joyce leaving, and he still has the gall to acuse me of cheating? Well, I don't know if it could be called cheating. Are we still together? We never technically broke up.

But then again, Taerin and I had never really broken up. That was just left hanging in the air, much like my relationship with Joyce. Was it a pattern that I was forming? Everything would go smoothly until something happened, in Joyce's case it was Seungpyo hyung's interference.

"My aunt's clinic is on 24th street, Gangnam. She'll help you, just tell her I sent you." Zelo read aloud and with each word, his expression softened and his eyebrows that were previously raised so high on his forehead that they disappeared into his hairline, slowly descended so they were normal once again.

"Um . . . Shin . . . um . . ." I struggled to remember the name even though I had seen it not long ago.

"Shin Anra?" Zelo supplied.

"Yeah, her, she's a stylist noona for Secret. She was the one who sought me out. She told me that her aunt is a dermatologist and that she has a clinic near here. She told me that I could get a free facial to help me with my skin problems because it'll be good for their business apparently." I explained calmly, relieved that they were finally listening to me.

"So you aren't a two-timer?" Jongup asked and Youngjae elbowed him.

"No, what do you take me for?" I asked indignatly.

"I knew that it couldn't be true, hyung." Zelo said and smiled brightly at me.

"Aish." I muttered and shoved him.

 

"Zelo?" I asked a while later, when things had calmed down and Yongguk had gone to tell the managers and asked them to get rid of the rumours.

"Mmhm?"

"How did you find out about the article?" I asked, not really wanting to hear the answer, but my curious driving me.

"I . . . I just did?" Zelo said slowly, turning it into a question. I narrowed my eyes at him.

"How?" I repeated my question.

"I may have got a call from . . . someone."

"Who?" I interogated. "I know that you mentioned Joyce's name last night. Were you talking to her?" I couldn't help but feel a little jealous and stupid. For one, it wasn't fair that Zelo got to speak to her and I didn't and for another, I had accused them of being Zelo's girlfriend.

"No, well, not directly anyway. I spoke to Nana and I'm not sure whether or not Joy was there." Zelo elabrated when he saw my look of utter confusion.

"They saw the magazine? Jeongmal?" I asked and stood up. I ran a hand through my hair in annoyance. Joyce saw it! What would she think of me now?

"Zelo-yah, give me your phone." I commanded and held out a hand for the phone.

"No, use your own!" Zelo protested. "I don't have much credit. Oversea phone calls cost a lot you know."

"O-oversea calls?"

"Hyung, you read the article, did you not see the part where they said Joy moved back to England?"

"She did? When did that happen?" My mouth was hanging open in a perfect 'o' shape. That ruined my plan of tracking her down if she didn't answer the phone.

"Do you ever listen?" Zelo asked. "Or pay attention for that matter?"

"Hey! I was too busy focusing on the insults that they threw at me and the accusations of me being a cheater." I retorted.

"Nana and Joy moved back a while ago. I don't know if they'll ever come back. I hope so."

I didn't voice the question that was burning in the back of my mind: where did that leave us then? Was there absolutely no hope of us ever getting back together?

 

"Zelo, I still want your phone. Ppalli, hand it over." I tried to make a grab for the phone beside Zelo on the couch, but he snatched it up before I could get it.

"Why can't you use your own?"

"Because she might not pick up if she knows its me. She never came to visit us, I think that says something, don't you? Actions speak louder than words. Please, Zelo?" I pleaded with the maknae.

"Fine, fine!" Zelo relented, and held out the phone. I scrolled through Zelo's phonebook and I was surprised by the amount of phone calls he had made to Nana. Was there something he wasn't telling us?

"But, hyung, there is something I should tell you." Zelo said as I was leaving the room so that I could make the call in private.

"Go on." I nodded my head at him, my finger hovering over the call button.

"I think you made her cry." Zelo confessed.

"Cry?" I sighed heavily. " 'Kay, thanks for telling me, Zelo. I'll bear it in mind." I touched my finger down on the little green button and walked into another room. I swallowed nervously as the dialling tone reverbeted in the bedroom air.

 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________