Chapter 23 Summer

Entwined

 

JIYONG POV

 

It was summer already. Our company had an outing by the beach. I made sure Dara would come because she was assigned to write something about the outing.

 

“Come to think of it, where is she?” I have seen most of her co-employees but no sign of her.

 

I was walking down the beach when my eyes were held by a beautiful sight. Sandara was wearing a yellow spaghetti-strap sundress which showed her porcelain neck and shoulders and a straw hat to cover her face from the sun. She was picking seashells by herself.

 

I decided to come over to talk to her. “Dara! Mianhe, if we started on the wrong foot. I know you don’t remember me but we were friends before from college. You were a new student at the University when we met. Maybe you don’t remember me because I always used to annoy you. But we could start over right?” I offered her my most sincere smile. I did not have the courage to tell her we used to be gf/bf and that I hurt her.

 

She seemed hesitant at first, but then she smiled “Okay we could be friends.”

 

“As a peace offering, I’m offering you rabbit angel food” I said, giving her a packet of red gummy bears I had in my pocket.

 

“These are my favourite!” she said and happily munched on them.

 

“I know Ssantoki.” I whispered softly. Seeing her like that, I can’t help but imagine the old Sandara. I also can’t help but imagine her pink lips which tasted like strawberries. I caught myself before she could notice me staring.

 

I have decided to win her by starting out as friends first.

 

 

 

 

DARA POV

 

I was picking seashells when I heard someone approaching. I looked up and I saw him.

 

“Dara! Mianhe, if we started on the wrong foot. I know you don’t remember me but we were friends before from college. You were a new student at the University when we met. Maybe you don’t remember me because I always used to annoy you. But we could start over right?” he said, smiling.

 

“Aaarrgh! This traitor heart of mine is going to kill me.” I thought. I hesitated to accept but since he apologized for annoying me before, I agreed and smiled “Okay we could be friends.”

 

I felt I at least owed him a chance to prove himself. Besides, we need to start somewhere again, right?

.

He offered me gummy bears which I gladly accepted. “These are my favourite!” I said and happily munched on them He does remember after all, sending a thrill to my heart.

 

“I know Ssantoki.” I heard him whisper. One of these days I will die of heart attack.

 

We spent the rest of the day, walking on the beach, occasionally talking and sometimes silent, lost in our thoughts. I can’t help but recall we used to be the same way.

 

 

 

 

 

A walk on the beach

A boy, a girl, sun and sand

The first signs of love