Chapter 21 Deja Vu

Entwined

 

JIYONG POV

 

Was that Sandara? Damn! She looked fine! I always knew she would turn out pretty given a make-over. But still I prefer her apple hairstyle and innocent face without make-up and with glasses on. A stunning and confident Sandara is intimidating.

 

I wonder if she changed her look because of me, because of what happened or because she herself has changed. The possibilities scare me.

 

I went up to my office on the 4thfloor which opens into a terrace. Before she came, I moved the Literary and Fiction department to the 4thfloor so she would be nearer my office. This earned a lot of complaints from my employees. I could be sneaky when I want to.

 

On my way, I passed by her department. Through the glass walls, I noticed that she was being welcomed by her officemates. I saw the stares that she was getting from the guys and I stopped myself from wanting to gouge their eyes. “Yah! Take your eyes off her. She’s mine!”

 

I decided to come in and get over with the introductions. “Good morning!” I greeted them.

 

I see heads bowing and a chorus greeting of “Good morning, Mr. Kwon.”

 

I glanced at her and saw her do the same. I was expecting anger or perhaps sadness reflected in her eyes. But what I saw unhinged me. Her pretty face was smiling. “Wah! I never thought I’d see her beautiful smile again.” I thought. My heart was beating erratically.

 

The department supervisor introduced her to me. “Mr. Kwon, I would like to introduce to you the newest addition to our department, Ms. Sandara Park”

 

She smiled at me and extended her hand. “Mr. Kwon, it’s nice to meet you. I hope I could be an asset to your company and I hope to keep a good working atmosphere. Please call me Dara”

 

I took her extended hand and shook it. Electricity seemed to course through me. I see that she was pretending we did not know each other. “If that’s what you want” I said.

I planned to talk to her again later. And I excused myself to head to my office.

 

The day went by spent on meetings and planning the next issue. I also did a photoshoot for the upcoming summer issue. I was not able to see her until it was time to go home.

 

I was rushing to go to their department office that I did not notice the door swinging and hitting me full on the face. I fell back and was immediately stepped on my stomach (thank God!) by pink heels attached to a porcelain leg.

 

“Aaaargh!” I cried from pain and just like déjà vu I was immediately trapped in a cascade of books.

 

“Omo! Mianhe!” I heard her cry.

 

I looked up and saw Sandara looking worried. “It’s alright. This has happened before you know?” I reminded her, smiling at the memory, as I helped her pile the books.

 

“Ah! So you are clumsy Mr. Kwon?” she said.

 

“Sandara, this is how we first met don’t you remember?” Honestly doesn’t she remember?

 

“Oh! So did I know you then, Mr. Kwon?” she said.

 

“Yah! Sandara, will you stop calling me Mr. Kwon? You used to call me GD or Jiyong” I said frustrated.

 

“Were we close for me to call you by your first name? My parents once mentioned your name of course but they never told me we were close. Forgive me, Mr. Kwon. It seems that only you remember. I had an accident a month ago and the doctors said I had selective amnesia from being traumatized. Please call me Dara from now on.” She said trying to sound polite.

 

I stared into her familiar brown eyes and all I could see was my reflection staring back at me. Gone was the warmth, instead cold eyes looked at me.

 

“Thank you for helping me but I must be off now.” And then she turned her back leaving me in the deserted corridor.

 

As I watched her retreating back, I tried to fight the tears. “Dara, did I hurt you that much that you would forget about me?”

 

I could not help but think I have lost her.