Chapter 15 The Promise

Entwined

 

9 YEARS AGO

 

 

AUTHOR POV

 

 

“Hyung, what do you want for our 10thbirthday?” Jiyong asked his older twin.

 

“Fireworks of course, for the one and only G dragon. But mom and dad said no” Jihoo said.

 

“Why do you keep calling yourself that?” Jiyong was curious to know.

 

“Because it’s cool and because I am older than the two of us. Dad said that I’ll work for the company someday and I planned to be called that” Jihoo explained.

 

“Well if you plan to work for Dad then you wouldn’t want to come with me when I do find how to get to Never land?” Jiyong was teasing his brother.

 

“Of course I’ll come with you. I’ll choose play over work anytime. Besides we promised each other that no one gets left behind right?” Jihoo said

 

“So I should also work for Dad?” Jiyong asked unsure.

 

“I think you should do what you want little bro” Jihoo said.

 

“Let’s go down and check the gifts. I hope I get the camera I wanted. I’m also hungry. I hope the food is great” Jiyong invited his brother.

 

“You go first. You know how much I hate being pinched on the cheeks and fussed over just because we’re twins. There are too many guests outside to be polite to. I’ll hang around in the library” Jihoo said

 

 

 

 

LATER

 

“Jiyong, I think I’ve met a rabbit angel!” Jihoo announced. ”Here, try this rabbit angel food” handing Jiyong the gummy bears.

 

“These are good!” Jiyong said in between chews.

 

“I saw her in the library bathed in light, like an angel. She was reading your Peter Pan book. I cannot believe she’s hung up over Peter forgetting Wendy” Jihoo said

 

“Did she give you these for our birthday?” Jiyong asked still munching on the gummy bears.

 

“Nah! I took it from her, and not just that, I had my first kiss too!” Jihoo said with pride.

 

“Hyung, you are evil!” Jiyong said, shocked.

 

“No, I think I am in love!” said Jihoo “When I grow up, I’ll find her”

 

Outside their room, their parents could be heard fighting.

 

“Admit it! You still love her! I saw the way you looked at her!” Mrs Kwon

 

“Don’t start another fight. You know I have always been faithful to you.” Mr Kwon

 

“Faithful to me but not in love with me, right?” Mrs Kwon “Where are you going? Come back.” The noise dies as their parents left.

 

“Hyung, what are they fighting about?” Jiyong asked scared

 

“I am not sure either. Let’s ask Mom tomorrow” Jihoo said, trying to reassure his brother.

 

Upon learning the truth from his mom, Jiyong swore never to fall in love.

 

 

 

 

4 YEARS AGO

 

JIYONG POV

 

We were turning 15 in 6 months when Jihoo was diagnosed with leukaemia. It was unfair, I know. We were twins but he was the only one who got sick. Somehow Jihoo did not blame me for being spared.

 

“It’s alright, little bro. At least you could be able to save me when you donate some of your marrow.” Jihoo assured his brother.

 

“But Hyung, you are so much better than me. You are more popular and good at academics. Girls like you and even boys respect you. You are better than me at everything and I just can’t believe this would happen to you” Jiyong was crying.

 

“Don’t worry. Things will get to normal again. How about you make me a promise? Swear to me that while I am weak and recovering, you will fill in my shoes for a while and stay tough ok?”

 

“But that’s too much too ask, Hyung” Jiyong complained. “I could not replace you”

 

“I am not asking you to replace me. I am asking you to be strong and tough like me” Jihoo said.

 

“I promise” Jiyong said.

 

But Jihoo never recovered, and succumbed to his illness. With his brother’s death, his parents became more estranged and divorced a year later.

 

Jiyong never forgot his promise to his brother.