Chapter 17 Wish

Entwined

 

SANDARA POV

 

It’s nearly time to graduate. I have devoted myself to my studies. It worked a little, at least the pain was numbed a bit.

 

I was offered a job at home and I am excited of the prospect. I have started to publish my poetry on line and I have been given an offer by a women’s magazine to cover it.

 

I missed home and I missed my parents. I’m not sure how Ji will react if we see each other again. I’m not even sure how I will react. But I hope our paths don’t cross. I’m afraid that my wall will crumble if I see him again.

 

I haven’t really moved on. Not in the way I planned. I have come to accept that he is the only love of my life. I could not compare him to anyone. And for that alone, I am grateful to have met him.

 

He has taught me of love and heartache, of happiness and sorrow. One would not know the other without experiencing both.

 

It was the last session of our society I attended. They were throwing a going away party for me. “Sandara, read for us one last time” the others were egging me on.

 

“Okay. I’ll read for you” I scanned my notebook and found the page I was looking for.

 

 

Descorazonado (Heartbroken)

 

It’s unfair         to

                   have         one heart.

      We could         only

really love          once.

    And          there’s

   not much         room

                        for           anyone else.

 

            I        really wish

I could try to         love again

 But I          gave away

  My          heart

a long time          ago

   And I never             got it back.

              Most of           what’s left

             Is       broken

 

 

Everyone was silent after I’ve read it. “Sandara you never told us you were in love. Who is the guy?” They kept on bugging me.

 

Being my last night with them and feeling thankful that they kept me in their company when I was down, I recounted my story with Jiyong.

 

“Sandara, that is one hell of a formula for a drama!” They told me. “You should have fought for him. You shouldn’t have walked away from him without hearing him explain what happened.”

 

Hearing this, I thought of what they said as I was walking home. Maybe Jiyong and I deserved a second chance.

 

When I get home, I vowed to find him. “I found him once so perhaps it wouldn’t be hard to find him again right?” I said as I looked up to the night sky.

 

Unexpectedly, a shooting star passed. “I wish to start over with Jiyong.” I closed my eyes and wished.

 

Unaware, I was suddenly caught by blinding headlights, when a drunken car driver hit me.

 

Everything dissolved into darkness.