Chapter 1 First Kiss

Entwined

 

SANDARA POV

 

I was invited to attend the birthday party of the son of one of my father’s old friends. Being 10 and painfully shy really had its drawbacks. As I was opposed to mingling with the other kids my age, I simply resigned myself to stay somewhere quiet.

 

“Wow! They have their own library”

 

They had a huge collection of books. I sat on the nearest couch and took one book to read. As I was sitting on the couch, engrossed in the book and munching my favorite red gummy bears that my parents bribed me with just to come, I didn’t notice the boy who entered and walked towards me.

 

 

 

 

BOY POV

 

I hated my birthdays. My parents would always invite their friends and their children, whom I don’t really know. Plus I have to act really friendly towards them. What I really wanted for my birthday was a fireworks show, but my parents wouldn’t give me one. Better escape the party.

 

I went to the library to escape but I didn’t expect to see someone else there. She seemed to be about my age. She was wearing a white dress, with eyeglasses on and an apple hairstyle. She was sitting on a couch by the window with the sunlight framing her. At that instant, I thought she looked as innocent as an angel. She was engrossed reading a book and eating red gummy bears, oblivious to the party outside and to my presence.

 

 

 

AUTHOR POV

 

“Who are you?” the boy asked the girl when he was three feet away from her.

 

“Wah!” Sandara blurted, standing up, surprised by the unexpected greeting.

 

He laughed a little at the girl’s expression. “Mianhe. There is a birthday party outside. Why are you here?”

 

Sandara who has recovered a little from the shock replied sheepishly “I don’t know anyone. I don’t even know whose birthday it is. And besides, I’m enjoying reading this book.”

 

He looked at the book she was holding. It was Peter Pan. “That is my favourite book. It has lots of adventures and pirates”

 

“But Peter Pan forgets about Wendy” Sandara pointed out. “He forgets about her and when they see again she is already old.”

 

“But that is not the point” He countered. “It’s about staying young forever, not growing up and having no responsibilities. What could be more fun than that? And you still haven’t answered my first question ”

 

“I’m Ssantoki.” Sandara forgot and let her childhood nickname slip. “Who are you? Why are you here?” She dared to ask.

 

“I’m Jiyong and I’m escaping my party” He said with a naughty smile. “Hey what gift did you bring me?”

 

Sandara was taken aback. “I don’t know. My parents were the one who bought the gift”

 

“I like dogs better, but a rabbit would do just fine.” He teased Sandara.  “I see you like red gummy bears.”

 

“They are my favourite. My parents even bribed me with them just to come here” Sandara blurted out before she was able to hold her tongue. “I can’t believe I said that”. And Sandara blushed from shame.

 

He was stunned then laughed wholeheartedly. “I can’t believe you’re so honest. Well since you did not want to come to my birthday. I’m giving you a punishment.  You have to give me a prized possession for my birthday”

 

“What! That’s not fair!” she exclaimed. But remembering her earlier faux pas, she relented and said “You can have my gummy bear” handing out the sweets with her head bowed.

 

“Thanks just the same. But I want a rabbit.” And in a surprise move, he cupped her chin and gave her a quick kiss on the lips. He then snatched the bag of gummy bears and ran out of the room, leaving a blushing and dumbfounded Sandara.