15. Wings

30 Proofs that SJ Pairings Are Real

Sungmin-centric, KyuMin, PG, 1598

______

 

They had won. They had finally won, after all their hardships, after all they've been through, they had finally... 
 
Sungmin still couldn't quite believe that. He stood there, watching his hyungs and dongsaengs cry, watching the audience go crazy, watching the people behind them raise their eyes unbelievingly, because Super Junior, the weird group of too many members had won a music award. Their very first music award.
 
So he stood there, his eyes getting teary from happiness, and looked at their members. Leeteuk's make up had come off his face but he didn't seem to mind it at all as he was hugging the sobbing Donghae and Eunhyuk to his chest. Heechul was trying hard not to start crying too (he was the mc after all), and noone beside Sungmin had noticed his hand seeking for Hankyung's and squeezing it tightly. Ryeowook was busy hiding his face in Jongwoon's neck, the elder his hair as his own tears fell from his eyes. Siwon was praying quietly, once in a while wiping his cheeks and patting Kibum's arms embracing his waist, while Yongwoon and Shindong were the only ones maintaining Super Junior's image and goofing around with huge grins on their faces.
 
The only person not really showing any reaction, was the new guy, Kyuhyun. He stood there, just like Sungmin, and the light smirk was dancing on his lips. Sungmin smiled and came closer to him because noone should be alone, celebrating a moment like this, not even the maknae who tried to poison them all with the weird ramen he had made few weeks ago.
 
He patted the younger one on his shoulder and grinned. He felt so happy and so wonderfully fulfilled that he could swear he could fly away any second, as if there were some invisible wings pulling him higher and higher.
 
("Yah, you know the reason we've won is because I joined you guys, don't you?" asked Kyuhyun later, when they were having a small party in their dorms to celebrate their first success.
 
"Shut up, maknae. And who said you can talk informally to us, huh?" said one of the hyungs, teasing him.
 
Sungmin only laughed at that because it was, and they all knew it.)
 
 
***
 
 
Being confident in singing was never quite Sungmin's thing. He could sing, yeah, but with s, together on stage when there were so many of them that he wasn't receiving much attention anyway. Or that's what he chose to bielieve. His lines were usually short and he always spent many many hours practicing them to sound perfectly in his mouth, practicing his expression as well, to look perfectly natural with the meaning of the song.
 
But this. This was so much bigger, so much more meaningful and so much more difficult. 
 
Sungmin neared to the courtains nervously and peeked at the audience. So many people who came here to watch the perfect musical, to be provided the entertainment they were seeking the Friday's evening and he was so not going to manage that, oh my God, he was screwed.
 
He looked behind himself. Maybe it wasn't too late to resign yet? He had an understudy after all, he could say he's not feeling well. And that he won't be in the near time, preferably for the rest of this musical's life.
 
Sungmin gulped and peeked at the audience once again. Just to make sure he can't do that and that it was too-- 
 
Suddenly a smile crept onto his face as he noticed something from his spot in the backstage. Actually, why couldn't he do that? He practiced a lot, he could sing, he was almost confident in his acting, he had a great characterization, an awesome costume and a whole lot of fans as the audience, it's not like they'd pay sny special attention to his little flaws, right?
 
Right, Sungmin nodded to himself and did it.
 
The musical turned out to be wonderful, the whole crew was like an exceptionally harmonized choir, like a beautiful melody with all its notes and tunes at their places. He did make a small mistake but he managed to not let anyone know about it and so he was even more proud of himself.
 
As he was bowing for the fifth time, hearing the shoutings and the cheers and the overwhelming support, there it was again - the feeling of flying only a few centimeters above the ground, above the stage. It was the pure happiness again.
 
Not forgetting what encouraged him to actually be brave enough to come out onto the stage, Sungmin bowed one last time, this time looking straight in the eyes of the man in one of the middle rows, and grinning to him maniacally. Kyuhyun nodded his head nonchalantly and smiled back at him, lifting his thumb up.
 
 
***
 
 
God, he was being so nervous again. Alright, breath in, breath out, in, out, in... Just who had been stupid enough to give him and Ryeowook the DJs job?! It's not like they were the most talkative in the group, so why?
 
They could do well in some other programs, with actual cameras when they could be rescued by their pretty faces if something went wrong, but a radio show was a whole different story. Fans seemed to agree with him as they had been sending only examples of improvements they could make or comparing them to the previous DJ duo.
 
Sungmin shook his head and went through today's script again, trying to forget about his frustration.
 
Of course they were worse. They had been there incomparably shorter than Eunhyuk and Leeteuk who had been doing the show for years before they stopped. Years, not weeks. Sungmin groaned.
 
"You okay, hyung?" asked Ryeowook concerned and Sungmin immediately felt guilty about making him worry.
 
"Yeah, everything's fine. Are we ready?"
 
Ryeowook eyed him suspiciously but didn't dwell on the subject.
 
"Yes. We're on in three minutes so if you want something, do it now."
 
Just like the younger said, they were on after three short (too short for Sungmin's liking) minutes. They were doing okay, not really bad but not the best either. That is until the time of the guest appearance, when Sungmin almost choked on his own saliva, seeing the maknae coming into the studio.
 
He blinked twice and searched for their today's script. There it was: short break, a song, appearance of the guest - Cho Kyuhyun.
 
Sungmin smiled nervously as Kyuhyun came in, seated himself and wore the earphones, not forgetting to wink at his hyung. Warmth spread through Sungmin's body as the song ended and their show resumed.
 
With Kyuhyun's sharp and witty comments, all the tension from before was gone and it turned out Ryeowook/Sungmin duo could be just as funny and as competent as their precursors.
 
When the show ended, Sungmin felt so proud of himself and of his dongsaengs as if they had just overcome the biggest obstacle in all their carreers, which he knew was a total bull but who cares now. Sungmin hugged the younger ones and humming happily went out of the studio. The few lucky fans who got his signatures were screaming loudly as Ryeowook and Kyuhyun followed their hyung and Kyuhyun could swear he saw one of the girls fainting.
 
 
***
 
 
There it was again. The award, the... Sungmin didn't even know which one, after all those years of singing and dancing and just being Super Junior. He shouldn't be so touched by it, he should be used to it by now, but, honestly, which group could say they'd won yet another music award after eight years of being active? Sungmin couldn't think of any right now.
 
And Leeteuk was crying again, hugging Donghae and Hyukjae just like the night of their first win ever (but he knew that this time Leeteuk's tears were half-happy half-sad because he was still thinking about his enlistment, over and over again). This time, there was no Heechul and no Hankyung, but Sungmin knew they would be celebrating their award anyway, wherever they were at the moment, because they were Super Junior, and nothing was gonna change that. This time, it was Yesung, who was hiding his face in Ryeowook's neck, trying to discretly steal a kiss, and Ryeowook's smile was oh-so-innocet you wouldn't believe. This time, Kibum and Siwon were also the ones that were celebrating Super Junior's success in front of their TVs. This time, Kangin's tears were the biggest ones as he experienced once again, after three long years, what it felt like to be with the members on stage, what it felt like to win and be hugged by a cheerful Shindong.
 
And just like the first time, Kyuhyun was standing there alone, smirking lightly and waving to their fans, but this time Sungmin knew it was his personal way of showing his appreciation.
 
Sungmin's smile got even wider as he was making his way to the maknae, to pat him on his shoulder and make him throw this silent image of his away yet again. Suddenly someone else's face appeared in front of him.
 
"Sungmin hyung," shouted Eunhyuk. "We've won!"
 
Sungmin laughed.
 
"I know! I'm so happy!"
 
"Yes, you look like you could fly away any second," the dancer grinned and went to tease their fans a little, winking at him.
 
Sungmin was still laughing when he finally reached Kyuhyun and, as if it was some kind of a tradition, patted his shoulder. Kyuhyun smiled and hugged the elder tightly, the latter snuggling into him. They stood like this for a while when Sungmin's mind came back to what Eunhyuk said earlier.
 
If he was really flying (and it surely felt like it), he thought leaning into the maknae's embrance, then Kyuhyun must have been his wings.
 
______
 
I know I'm late again (good thing I'm not too late), but that's not because I couldn't come up with anything, it's just, my brother came to visit us and I wanted to spend some time with him ^^
About this story... God, I hope you all like it as much as I do :D
Also, I was listenning to this while writing, so you can do the same while reading :))
 
~love, puppysauruss ^-^v