Chapter 18.

3 Days To Fall In Love

"NO!" You shouted as you regained consciousness. Sweat was forming on your forehead and your head was hurting. *I must be having a hangover.* You thought. It was then you realised the unfamiliar surroundings. You weren’t home. You were on a single bed and everywhere smelled like antiseptic. *Am I in the hospital?*

Just then, a nurse holding a clipboard entered the room. "Oh Miss Kwon, you're awake! I'm Nurse Kim. Do you feel any discomfort?" She said as she wrote something on her clipboard.

You nodded weakly, "Why am I in the hospital?" 

"A man brought you and another man here. You fainted due to fatigue and the high alcoholic content in your body but the guy that was sent in here with you got into a car accident and it seemed serious." Nurse Kim explained solemnly.

A tight feeling formed in your chest as you choked, "May I know what is the name of the guy who got into the accident?"

"If I’m not wrong, it’s Jung Daehyun. Miss Kwon, since there’s nothing wrong with you so far, I would like you to stay one night here for further observation. I'll take my leave now." She bowed slightly and left.

You couldnt register anything she said after she mentioned the name 'Jung Daehyun'. The moment you snapped out of your daze, you threw your blanket aside and ran along the corridors, trying to look for him. "Have you seen Jung Daehyun?!?!" You cried as you grabbed a nurse approaching your way. She pried your hands off and shook her head.

Tears were streaming down your haggard face as you slumped on the cold marble floor. Did Daehyun take the blow for you? That’s why he's in this state? Guilt and anger filled you as you thought of the possibilities. A pair of white shoes appeared in front of you and you looked up to see a nurse. "Miss, I'm the nurse attending to Mr. Jung. I'll bring you to him." She smiled warmly and helped you up before bringing you to Daehyun's ward. 

From the transparent glass, you saw Daehyun lying on the bed lifelessly. A fresh set of tears appeared as you covered your mouth to suppress your cry. "Mr. Jung has three apparent problems with his body. First, he was hit by the car on the right side quite badly since the car was found to be speeding. His right ribs were fractured and bone fragments could be found in his lungs, causing internal bleeding. Second, after a thorough check up, we found out that his kidney was not in a very good condition either. Third, he lost quite a lot of blood but thank god for the man that brought you both here in time. Since we needed a blood donor for Mr. Jung, and time was running out, that man donated blood to him. Come to think of it, he saved Mr. Jung twice. But he told us not to reveal his name so.. Sorry. "The nurse smiled awkwardly. "My work here is done; wish you and Mr. Jung all the best." She nodded her head and patted your shoulder in encouragement.

Your tears were flowing spontaneously. It was your fault. You knew it. Daehyun shouldn’t have been there in the first place. If only you noticed the traffic at that moment, none of these would have happened. If only you just went home instead of wandering aimlessly. If only. But it was all too late, isn’t it? 

You stepped into the room, approaching the motionless body slowly. The burden on your shoulders felt heavier and heavier as you went closer and closer to Daehyun. It didn’t look like Daehyun at all. His soft brown hair could barely be seen as the white bandage wrapped around its head, covering it up. His left cheek had an abrasion and a long cut while his right cheek had even more small cuts. His limbs were fine, thankfully. You held his right hand and brought it to your cheek. "Daehyun-ah... Wake up.. Please..." You croaked as another tear escaped from the corner of your eye. 

Someone was watching your every move in the corridor. "As long as you're fine.. If saving him makes you happy, I’ll do it.. I did my best.. It'll be alright. It will be." 

--------------------

Flashback:

Until you heard someone scream, "Raein, WATCH OUT!"

Daehyun gave you a hard push and you stumbled to the other side of the road in an instant. The driver beeped the car loudly and before anyone could understand the situation, the car hit the right side of Daehyun's body and he rolled up onto the car hood, smashing the windscreen with his built body. He then landed on the rough road, his head colliding with the road. His body burned with pain as he let out a painful groan. Blood seeped through his shirt, forming a pool of blood on the ground beside him. The driver's face turned as pale as a ghost and he reversed his car, driving towards the opposite direction to escape from the crime scene.

Daehyun struggled to stand up but to no avail. It’s like all of his energy was taken away from him at that very instant. He saw you lying on the pavement and tried to run to you but his legs gave way. His lungs hurt with every breath he took but he used up all the energy he could to crawl to your side. A piece of glass pierced his face and he screamed in pain. Blood oozed out but that wound was the last thing on his mind.  "Raein.. Please be okay.." He whispered weakly. As he tried to call for you again, he coughed, spitting out blood. Soon, his vision blurred and he lost consciousness.

"! What happened??!" A man said as he started to panic. "All I did was to buy a bottle of water nearby and.. and.. ? I didnt protect Raein." He ran over to Daehyun and Raein, pacing back and forth between them. He fished out his iPhone and called for help. Within minutes, the loud siren pierced through the deafening silence, bringing the man to his senses. He couldn’t get over the fact that he had failed to protect you and your ex-boyfriend. 

"What’s the situation?" One of the paramedics asked as the others placed you and Daehyun on a stretcher before pushing you both into the ambulance. 

"I passed by and saw the both of them. I have no idea what happened but it was probably a hit and run." The man half lied. 

"Alright, thank you." The paramedic nodded his head and turned to leave but the man stopped him.

"Can I.. Tag along? I feel uneasy if I don’t see the both of them safe and sound." He answered honestly.

"Sure, get on quick." With that, they made their way to the hospital. 

Daehyun was immediately sent for surgery while you were admitted into a ward. The man let out a groan as he had no idea who to attend to first. After battling with his conscience, he decided to wait for Daehyun since he was the one who was hit by the car. "Please be okay Daehyun-ssi.. I dont want Raein to handle the agony of you and Yongguk leaving her.. Please.." He put his hands together and prayed ernestly. 

After what seemed to be years, the surgeon exited the surgery room and explained to the man Daehyun's condition. "His kidney is failing and it does not seem like it’s a recent discovery. I've removed the bone fragment in his lungs but we need to find a suitable blood donor for him now. He lost a lot of blood due to internal bleeding. Another patient took the last bag of blood A."

"Take mine. My blood is A too. Take my blood. Take my kidney.. Just save him. JUST SAVE HIM!!!" The man screamed as he started to tear. This concerns Raein. This concerns a life. No matter what he has to do it. To save a life. To make Raein happy. He'll do it. 

"Alright, but we can’t take your blood and your kidney at one go. We'll handle the blood problem first. After 1 week or 2, you can donate your kidney to him. I'm positive that his kidney could withstand it till then. Come, follow me. I'll be extracting your blood."

The man just obeyed the surgeon's instructions and went to withdraw his blood. After filling up two bags of blood, his body was significantly weaker as his lips turned white. While the surgeon went to continue the surgery, a nurse was assigned to him to make sure he gets enough rest. 

"Sir.. You have to rest. The cells in your body are generating blood so slight fatigue is normal." The nurse advised. The man just nodded and made himself comfortable on the hospital bed. 

Before he could fall into a deep slumber, he made sure he told the nurse the most important thing on his mind. 

"Miss Nurse, make sure.. Make sure.. You dont tell any of them.. Raein or Daehyun.. My name.. I don’t want them to know.." The man breathed.

"I'll make sure of that. But pardon me, I didnt notice your name."

"My name.. My name is.. Choi.. Choi Junhong."