Surprised

Blossoming love

Hana's POV

Hana sat brooding in her room, by the window where she can see her brother's room across the courtyard. Nibbling on her lip, she sighed inwardly as she thought to herself. "Did I went too abroad with my actions? Orabeoni... I never expected him to hurt himself. I... I didn't...  realize that he actually love Sungmin orabeoni so much... Not that I don't love him as much! But... I nearly lost Ryeowook orabeoni because of my undesired one-sided love. I know... I know that Sungmin orabeoni doesn't love me that way but I... Ryeowook orabeoni already proved that his love for him would even precide over death since he would rather die than to know that he himself had betrayed Sungmin orabeoni's love... Maybe I should let him go... after all, theirs is a forbidden love, Sungmin orabeoni is too in love with Ryeowook orabeoni to see anyone else in his eyes. Besides, his father objected to their relationship, they wouldn't need my interference to break up. As long as I wait patiently, I'm sure that there'll come a day when Sungmin orabeoni will see that it's impossible to carry on with Ryeowook orabeoni, then perhaps he'll be able to see my love for him and accept it..." Deep down in her heart, she knew that she was just making excuses to try to cover up her attempts to make it up to her own brother after all... that one night stand of his was something that she had planned and prepared for... Despite that, she refused to admit that as the reason why she persuaded herself to go to the Lee Mansion with her father to ask Minister Lee to cancel the engagement. 

 

Sungmin's POV 

The wind blew gently and the petals of the numerous plum blossoms swayed and fluttered. Sungmin reached out to finger some of it and the fragile flower broke off from its branch and landed on his palm. "Even though I can't remember if there was a specific reason to why I love you so much, you are so beautiful... yet...", he took the flower with the tips of his fingers and exerted some force. Opening up his palm, the wind carried up the crushed petals and blew it away. "Young master!", a servant called and Sungmin turned to see a flustered looking young boy running towards him. When he stopped in front of him, the young boy was panting and he gasped out his words, "The master asked for your presence in the study. Please make your way towards it now.". Smiling sadly up at the plum blossoms, he followed the servant to where his father was waiting for him. Even though it have been days since he was bought back to the Mansion, he still could not recall the past memories. While there was a comfortable familiarity in the environment, he was still trying desperately to recall his relationship with his family. He felt an undeniably sadness when he looked at the grief stricken face of his supposed mother that he has no memory of. Stepping into the majestic study of his father, he noted that there were guests; a young lady and a man who looks to be her father. Bowing, he asked, "Father," the word still felt vastly unfamiliar to him, "you called for me?". Smiling, Minister Lee answered and gestured towards his guests. "Ah, yes, Minnie. Come, I know that you'll probably do not remember who they are,". Sungmin saw the lady's head snapped up at the mention and frowned, wondering to himself if she was related to him in any sort of ways. Gesturing to the older man, his father introduced, "This is my good friend, Minister Kim and his daughter, Hana shii." Sungmin put on a neutral face as he bowed towards them and murmured his greetings. Suddenly, his father clasped his hand together, "Ah, I nearly forgot. Sungmin, just to mention, Hana shii is also your fiancé.". Now, even Minister Kim looked bewildered, "Kyusaang...", his father shot a look towards his friend and quickly turned towards Hana shii who was looking at his father with big eyes filled with uncertainty. "Hana shii, Sungmin lost his memory prior to an accident, perhaps you would want to help him recall his memories...?". Hana's face paled at his father's words and Sungmin frowned once again in confusion. "Don't look so frightened. Just introduce yourself and share with him some of the lovely memories that you have with him. I have something to discuss with your father, so you young people can just go somewhere else.". With that, he dismissed the two of them and when Hana shot a desperate look at her father, Minister Lee shook his head towards her and her father who was clenching his fists; his father red with anger. Reluctantly, Hana went out of the study with Sungmin who was also at a loss. He have never expected that he might actually have a fiancé. Sneaking a look at his fiance as they walked towards the rear garden, Sungmin wondered to himself if he knew her since young and if he loved her. As he asked himself all these questions, he felt nothing... his heart beat regularly and he certainly does not feel nervous or excited. After awhile, the silence began to grow uncomfortable and just as Sungmin was about to speak, Hana broke the silence first. "Sungmin orabeoni...", she turned towards him with wide, brown eyes and Sungmin was suddenly struck with an image of a pair of doe eyes filled with tears and an uncomforatble feeling settled within him. He had to rapidly blink that image away in order to focus back to what Hana was asking. "Do you really not remember anything?". Sungmin nodded, "Until now, I still can't recall any memories of my family.". Hana's eyes widened in shock and disbelief flashed through her eyes, "How did this happen?". Sungmin smiled tightly, "According to Teuk hyung, I  went into the forest late at night and rolled down a slope, hitting my head onto a rock at its base. ". As if recalling something, Hana asked again, "When did it happen?". Sungmin frowned as he tried to recall that night, "I don't really remember but Teuk hyung said that there was a huge storm that night...". Hana made a choked sound and Sungmin stepped towards her in concern. She raised her hand to keep him from helping her, "I'm sorry... Actually... Could you excuse me? I need to go back to my father.". Hastily, she bobbed a curtsey and left, leaving Sungmin feeling confusing in the rear garden. 
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back in the study,

 

"Hyeon! (Minsiter Lee's name) What do you think you're doing?!", Minister Kim shouted, his fingers dug into the table that he was standing besides to keep himself from lashing out at his long time friend, "You know that we came to cancel the engagement! Do you have any idea what happened to Ryeowook?!". Minister Lee turned towards his friend, his eyes filled with desperation, "Jun (Minister Kim's name)... I can't... I really cannot accept that my one and only son likes men. This is wrong in so many levels that I'll die knowing that he's not able to carry on with the family line!" . "I know and understand that! But I also cannot ignore the fact that my son actually attempted to commit suicide because of his love for your son!". Minister Lee looked up in shock, "Ryeowook attempted suicide? When did that happen? Is he alright now?" Minister Kim sat down heavily onto the chair, "Four days ago... He requested that I send him to the temple after he regained his conscious and I send him there so that he can recuperate in peace.". Sighing heavily, Minister Lee walked towards his friend and patted him on the back, "I'm so sorry to hear that, Jun. But on that same day, Sungmin also fell down a slope and lose all his memories. This is our only chance to change their unforbidden fate!". Minister Kim looked up at his face with incredulity, "Are you assuming that Sungmin's memories would never come back?! Even if Sungmin's memories do not return until he married Hana, what would happen to Ryewook? He'll die!". Minister Lee shook his head, "We just don't let him know until the two of them are married. Once he knows that his sister has married Sungmin, he would give up on his feelings!". The two ministers looked up in surprise when Hana suddenly slide open the door and entered the room. "i'm sorry to be disrespectful but I refuse to marry Sungmin orabeoni.".