Unexpected.

Blossoming love

They greeted Wookie's parents and well wished Hana. The young birthday girl's face turned beet red when Sungmin gave her the birthday present and she shyly expressed her thanks. Her reaction had not gone unnoticed by others, especially her father, Minister Kim. Keeping his speculations to himself, he began observing his daughter throughout the entire party and he came to a conclusion by the end of the party. He mentioned what he observed to his wife who replied that she had the same feelings about it. The next day when he saw Minister Lee, he pulled his old friend aside and shared his views. After listening to Minister Kim, Sungmin's father agreed with his old friend to start a matchmaking project together.

They made many attempts and Minnie saw it clearly. For example, when both families had a picnic, his father would place him beside Hana purposely and ask him to accompany Hana for a walk after having had eaten. Sungmin knew what the two Ministers were trying to do so he rebutted in his own way. When his father told him to accompany Hana for a walk, Minnie would first agree with his father with a smile and then direct his attention towards Hana's brother instead. He would ask Wookie whether or not he care to join them and Ryeowook, as innocent and ignorant as always, would always happily agree to Minnie's request. Wookie had not realized his sister's feelings for his lover and his father's indirect attempt to break his relationship with Sungmin. During the walk, although Sungmin made small talks with Hana, most offhis attention was still on Ryeowook and the young lady saw it clearly. She was envious of Ryeowook who have gotten Sungmin's love and as more time passed, the envy turned into something darker that grew rapidly within her. Although there were many matchmaking attempts, Wookie still spent many memorable times together with Minnie and their love slowly blossomed, just as spring came and the plum blossoms were slowly preparing for its magnificence display of its life. However, all happy moments eventually came to an end.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On Sungmin's 24th birthday, a party was thrown in honour of Minnie who at the same time, got the favour of the King and was given an official post in the Joseon dynasty.  All the honourable and high ranking officers, together with their family attended the party.  Sungmin was drinking  and chatting with Wookie, Teuk  hyung and Kyuhyun at one side of the room when his father suddenly made his way towards the center and called out for everyone's attention. With a loud and booming voice, he began clearly, "Everyone, today is my son, Sungmin's 24th birthday and I sincerely thank everyone who came. The party is coming to am end and to end off the joyous occasion, I would like to announce a happy news before everyone leaves." Everyone's attention was on Minister Lee and the later continued, "The happy news is that Miss Hana, Minister Kim's beautiful daughter, have given our family the honour of agreeing to an engagement with Sungmin." There was a moment of silence before applause broke out and congratulations could be heard from everyone except for four men. Wookie looked at Sungmin in shock when Minister Lee announced the engagement and his mouth open in a silent protest. Afraid that Wookie would misunderstand, Sungmin quickly turned his attention towards his lover and shook his head, denying and pleading Wookie to believe in him. Minister Lee, oblivious to the inner turmoil of the two lovebirds, continued, "Now, I would like to invite my son to say a few words to express how he feels about his engagement with Miss Hana.". All of a sudden, everyone's attention was on Sungmin who had his hands on Wookie's shaking shoulders. Snapping his head up to meet his father's eyes, he replied steadily in a calm and serious voice, "I'm sorry, Father, but I object to the engagement. I would not marry Miss Hana.". There was a collective gasp of surprise and Minister Lee's turned red in seconds. "I apologize to all of you, especially Minister Kim and Hana ssi, Min is apparently drunk, please forgive him. I'll give you all, especially Minister Kim a satisfactory answer the day after tommorrow when Min is not drunk and clear of what he's doing." With that, he strode towards Sungmin, grabbed his son's hand and dragged him out of the room, leaving all the guests confused and puzzled. 

Sungmin struggled to shake off his father's strong grip but as soon as they stepped out of the ballroom, his father's men surrounded him and took him back to his room by force. His father followed them behind and his eyes flashed in anger at Minnie as soon as they reached Sungmin's room and he was released. "Do you know what have you done?! You embarrassed Minister Kim,  Miss Hana and most importantly, our family in front of all the other honourable families! How dare you shame our family, Sungmin!". Cutting his father's words, Minnie repeated, "Father, I don't mean to shame our family but I won't marry Hana." Sungmin watched in concern as his father's face turned from red to purple to pale and he took a step forward, thinking that his father was going to faint from anger. Surprisingly, Minister Lee managed to control his emotions and even asked the reason as to why Min would not marry Hana. Minnie, not wanting to shock his father again, simply replied, "I have someone else that I love. I would not betray that person's love for me to marry someone else.". His father took several deep breaths after hearing the news and asked another question. "Who is the lucky young lady who has claimed your heart? Which family is she from?". Minnie shook his head, "I would not say." With that, his father's momentary calm snapped and he bellowed, "If you're not going to tell me, then you will marry Miss Hana!". Sungmin took another step towards his father and pleaded, "Father, please. Don't do this to me or to you. I have my reasons for not telling you and one reason is that I'm afraid you will not take it well." Minister Lee shook his head, "I want to hear it nevertheless, I'll be able to take it. Now, tell me son, who is it who caught your heart?". Taking a deep breath, Sungmin took a deep breath and dropped the bomb. "The one who caught my heart is also from the Kim Mansion, but it's not Hana. The one who I love is.... Hana's brother, Ryeowook. "